Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

ThatsMyBoye posted:

SIKE. Owned. I found the old .mog (from 2008!), so it's just updated with higher res.

Notable:
  • 6 Cy Young Awards
  • 19 All-Star Games
  • 3 Gold Gloves
  • 15 Championships (most with the powerhouse Orioles)
  • Made approximately $192.8M across his contracts
And the BBWAA still wouldn't vote him in unanimously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Harlock posted:

Hi, my name is Harlock and I run the Oakland A's in Toona's OOTP11 league (which you should totally join if you're interested). I operate them with a low payroll in mind (not that I need to) and turn over my bullpen pretty much every year/other year. I have yet to give a player over 10m (per year) in the 7 seasons since I took over. This presents a bit of a problem because my ace SP is hitting Free Agency:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_22798.html

2 CY Youngs and a Perfect Game under his belt while playing for my A's in addtion to one elite postseason where we reached Game 6 of he ALCS. He also had a string of 19 starts with either a win or no decision, I think it was 14 wins. I wish this would be the real Matusz because he's brought me so much success.

OOTP experts, do I resign him for a 5 year deal at 13m/y at the age of 31? Most players die around 34, and his ratings have been in flux from all 8's to 7's depending on the sims.

Oh and here's some pretty crazy splits on players that I drafted:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_26394.html (former Montero level catcher - 28% of runners thrown out)
http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_27396.html

You should trade him to the White Sox for peanuts. :haw:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ThatsMyBoye posted:

SIKE. Owned. I found the old .mog (from 2008!), so it's just updated with higher res.

Notable:
  • 6 Cy Young Awards
  • 19 All-Star Games
  • 3 Gold Gloves
  • 15 Championships (most with the powerhouse Orioles)
  • Made approximately $192.8M across his contracts

My god. 28-0 with 31 starts

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

My god. 28-0 with 31 starts

I need to go dig up one of my old BBM '09 games where LaMarr Hoyt went 32-0 in 32 starts in 1979 in my historical franchise. It was the craziest season-long pitching performance I've ever seen that game spit out.

And in true BBM fashion (and mirroring real life, I suppose), Hoyt fell apart and was done within like four seasons, I believe.

Now that I'm reminiscing about BBM, has anyone else built an absolute bandbox of a park and just seen what sort of numbers you'd put up? In my 40+ year Milwaukee Brewers historical franchise, I built a park with the shortest dimensions possible (with a capacity of 100,000) and it led to Gorman Thomas retiring with almost 1,000 HR.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nasboat posted:

And in true BBM fashion (and mirroring real life, I suppose), Hoyt fell apart and was done within like four seasons, I believe.

You can turn off that feature. Basically BBM will mirror what the player did in his career rather than random variables, but you can tell the game not to.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

You should trade him to the White Sox for peanuts. :haw:

I mean, that's what I would do ;)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CraigK posted:

Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.
this literally just happened:

this is how highly OOTP thinks of Kal Daniels

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is OOTP 12 or 13 different enough from the '11 version to justify a purchase?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Is OOTP 12 or 13 different enough from the '11 version to justify a purchase?

12 has better contract options, that's the only thing I can remember as being "worth it".

13 will probably have one killer feature that makes it worth it too.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
I just got an email yesterday announcing OOTP 13. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0087/

I don't know if there's that one killer feature or not (maybe improved playoffs, and interactive storylines look pretty neat), but since I just lost 8 months on my current game due to computer crash, I'll probably stop playing 12 long enough to just get 13 when it comes out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I like they way they've consolidated some of the ratings in the new interface in 13.

I don't know if this has been posted here, but a guy from Toona's OOTP league figured out that .wOBA isn't properly calculated in OOTP (and neither is WAR in OOTP 12). If I understand it correctly, Markus just copy/pasted the formula for Fangraphs WAR from 2010, so the game isn't properly adjusting for run environments as time goes on or in fictional leagues. They're probably roughly accurate, but it's just one of those things that drives me crazy about OOTP. "We did something", seems to be their motto.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 23, 2012

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
That redesigned interface is ugly and really busy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I just picked up a copy of BBM 12. This is my first foray into Baseball computer gaming, are there any tips to make it fun for a beginner?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lungboy posted:

I just picked up a copy of BBM 12. This is my first foray into Baseball computer gaming, are there any tips to make it fun for a beginner?

Basebball sims often seem to favor the development of certain players over others so it's good to try several different teams for a few years at a time to see what players it favors at first. (OOTP 11 usually lets Brian Matusz become the left-handed Greg Maddux). You also have to throw off your notions of who should be good and realize who the game thinks is good, like any sports game.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Another good thing to remember is that, by default, a player's star ratings are relative only to players at their position, not to every player in the league. So moving that 5-star third baseman over to first will probably cause a drop in his star rating, while a mediocre starter may turn into a higher-rated reliever, despite their underlying numbers being the same.

e: jesus christ how did i not notice until now that you're playing BBM and not OOTP. wow. ignore this post i guess

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 26, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

tadashi posted:

Basebball sims often seem to favor the development of certain players over others so it's good to try several different teams for a few years at a time to see what players it favors at first. (OOTP 11 usually lets Brian Matusz become the left-handed Greg Maddux). You also have to throw off your notions of who should be good and realize who the game thinks is good, like any sports game.

Plenty of god damnits were hurled at Bob Wickman, Ken Hill, and Scott Chiamparino in my OOTP game.

I could not beat them in the postseason, and it was rare when I could beat them in the regular season. Hill and Chiamparino were like Smoltz/Maddux, and Wickman turned from a mediocre starter to Cliff Lee-ish. Of course your mileage may very.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Armitage posted:

Plenty of god damnits were hurled at Bob Wickman, Ken Hill, and Scott Chiamparino in my OOTP game.

I could not beat them in the postseason, and it was rare when I could beat them in the regular season. Hill and Chiamparino were like Smoltz/Maddux, and Wickman turned from a mediocre starter to Cliff Lee-ish. Of course your mileage may very.

I really hate how I can finish first or second in runs scored, runs against, and defense in the regular season and then lose to Kevin loving Slowey in the postseason. I swear there is some sort of computer-leaning bias in solo leagues.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I saw Doc Gooden win four straight Triple Crowns, 1985-1989. Yeah, he actually won it in 1985, and yeah, he was loving amazingly good at the time in reality, but when it's basically him alone being responsible for keeping you out of the playoffs those four years, that still makes it pretty loving frustrating. (In 1990, Gooden declined slightly, the Mets faded late and finished 80-82, allowing my Cardinals to squeak past the resurgent Pirates on the last day of the season, only to lose to the Padres in 7 in the NLCS, making Tony Gwynn my new object of hatred.)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I have a player on the DL and the injury says he should be back in 65-66 months. I'm no doctor, but maybe he should call it a career.

Edit: Here is his history:
1995/06/09 Injured (partially torn UCL (Tommy John surgery)), out for 10 months.
1995/06/09 Injured (torn labrum (Shoulder)), out for 11 months.
1995/07/07 Injured (triceps strain), out for 12 months.
1995/07/07 Injured (torn labrum (Shoulder)), out for 19 months.
1995/07/07 Injured (mild shoulder strain), out for 19 months.
1995/07/07 Injured (sore back), out for 19 months.
1995/07/07 Injured (sore ankle), out for 19 months.
1995/07/08 Injured (strained oblique), out for 24 months.
1995/07/09 Injured (sore ankle), out for 24 months.
1995/07/09 Injured (biceps tendinitis), out for 25 months.
1995/07/09 Injured (mild oblique strain), out for 25 months.
1995/07/10 Injured (sore back), out for 25 months.
1995/07/10 Injured (radial nerve (elbow) decompression surgery), out for 33 months.
1995/07/10 Injured (ruptured ulnar collateral ligament), out for 43 months.
1995/07/12 Injured (elbow inflammation), out for 43 months.
1995/07/12 Injured (partially torn labrum), out for 47 months.
1995/07/12 Injured (finger blister), out for 47 months.
1995/07/14 Injured (surgery to remove bone spur (elbow)), out for 52 months.
1995/07/15 Injured (sore thumb), out for 52 months.
1995/07/15 Injured (heel soreness), out for 52 months.
1995/07/15 Injured (shoulder inflammation), out for 55 months.
1995/07/16 Injured (mild hamstring strain), out for 55 months.
1995/07/16 Injured (shoulder inflammation), out for 58-59 months.
1995/07/20 Injured (elbow soreness), out for 59 months.
1995/07/20 Injured (back stiffness), out for 59 months.
1995/07/21 Injured (back stiffness), out for 59 months.
1995/07/21 Injured (torn fingernail), out for 59-60 months.
1995/07/21 Injured (dead arm), out for 60 months.
1995/07/25 Injured (back spasms), out for 60 months.
1995/07/25 Injured (shoulder impingement), out for 64 months.
1995/07/25 Injured (abdominal soreness), out for 64 months.
1995/07/26 Injured (mild oblique strain), out for 64 months.
1995/07/26 Injured (sore ankle), out for 64 months.
1995/07/26 Injured (biceps strain), out for 65 months.
1995/07/29 Injured (mild shoulder strain), out for 65 months.
1995/07/29 Injured (elbow soreness), out for 66 months.

3 days after I traded for him, he was hurt and then must have walked into that rake thing that Sideshow Bob did

LOL: in those 3 days, he pitched 20 games and gave up 666 ERs. Clearly he was some sort of dark sacrifice.

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 28, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
:stonk:

What in God's green earth is your injury frequency set to?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

apparently it's so bad that he gets injured while he's injured. Repeatedly.

Like he stepped into an injury machine.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Somewhere out there is a player who can never be injured. He is "unbreakable" in a sense.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Everything about this post is why I love sim games.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the OOTP 12 demo set to Easy or otherwise broken?
I'm playing as the Brewers and am 5-0 and winning those games by about an average of 7 runs.

How long does it take to be notified of FA signings? I have two contract offers out, one of whom says "Favors signing" and the other says "Pending". Does it eventually just accept/reject and send you an email?

Also why is the home graphic for Miller Park actually Citizens Bank?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Pete Rose got elected to the Hall Of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Moe_Rahn posted:

Pete Rose got elected to the Hall Of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

:smug:

The thing about OOTP that really grinds my gears is that I look at the feature and go "Wow. Multiple leagues, what a feature pfffffft."

What if I create a Pacific Coast League, a Texas League, a Mid Atlantic League and a North Eastern League and the winners all meet in a tournament to decide the Baseball Champion of America.

What if I do that... BUT FOR THE WHOLE WORLD :stare:

(also, "New Trade Engine" excites me, I hope they really kick it up a notch and make it so the AI can trade like the Rays.)

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

LordPants posted:

(also, "New Trade Engine" excites me, I hope they really kick it up a notch and make it so the AI can trade like the Rays.)

I just hope i can reject a trade and say DON'T loving OFFER ME THAT GODDAMN lovely DISGRUNTLED loving FOURTH OUTFIELDER YOU HAVE ANY loving MORE.

Hey, you want this guy and a lovely reliever for your great prospect?

Hey, you want this guy and a lovely AA career guy for some other two prospects?

Hey, you SURE you don't want this guy and a AAA guy for your #2 pitcher and your first round draft pick last year?

etc, etc, etc.

That poo poo has to stop, that or I have to be able to send out a career-ending hitman to get rid of a guy just so he doesn't get offered to me in trades anymore.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
no lie, at one point i had like the top third of my active roster listed as untouchable just to keep the cpu from offering me garbage for my stars

VINCE COLEMAN FOR A 43-YEAR-OLD TOM SEAVER

HOW CAN I LOSE

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

speaking of weird poo poo, this just happened:

02/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/01/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/05/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/09/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/13/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Boston.
03/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/29/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/02/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/06/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/10/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/14/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Detroit.
04/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/24/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Washington while with Detroit.
04/28/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Washington.

This guy signed the biggest contract in the offseason ($4,400!) and has spent his entire season on the waiver wire being flip-flopped around.

What the gently caress.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Telex posted:

speaking of weird poo poo, this just happened:

02/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/01/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/05/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/09/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/13/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Boston.
03/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/29/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/02/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/06/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/10/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/14/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Detroit.
04/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/24/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Washington while with Detroit.
04/28/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Washington.

This guy signed the biggest contract in the offseason ($4,400!) and has spent his entire season on the waiver wire being flip-flopped around.

What the gently caress.

Is this OOTP? I've noticed that, especially in historical sims, the AI has horrible problems with financial management. When there are a lot of needs on a team and they end up signing a big free agent before filling in the other needs, crazy poo poo happens.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

tadashi posted:

Is this OOTP? I've noticed that, especially in historical sims, the AI has horrible problems with financial management. When there are a lot of needs on a team and they end up signing a big free agent before filling in the other needs, crazy poo poo happens.

Yeah and it happened for like a cluster of 9 players including Shoeless Joe Jackson who played 0 games in 1922 after being waived over and over and over again.

Very frustrating and sorta ruins the idea of a historical sim honestly.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I dunno, Shoeless Joe playing 0 games in 1922 is pretty historically accurate

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
my game generated an international prospect named Toyoaki "Stormin' Norman" Kobayashi

never change, OOTP. never change.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I dunno, Shoeless Joe playing 0 games in 1922 is pretty historically accurate

well, historical sims aren't that accurate to start I guess because there are non-whites playing in MLB.

Also, I was able to hire Ty Cobb as my bench coach for the Cardinals, while he was still playing for the Tigers. :toot:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Telex posted:

well, historical sims aren't that accurate to start I guess because there are non-whites playing in MLB.

Also, I was able to hire Ty Cobb as my bench coach for the Cardinals, while he was still playing for the Tigers. :toot:

In BBM there is a setting you have to turn off or the years more often than not look pretty accurate.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

In BBM there is a setting you have to turn off or the years more often than not look pretty accurate.

OOTP here, I kinda lost interest in BBM a few years ago because it seemed like they were just version++ every year and not much innovation. I could be totally wrong though, maybe I'll skip OOTP this year and get BBM.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
dat facegen

looking more awkward than the real a-rod

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I'm pretty sure this is gaming the system terribly, but I just used OOTP's "Shop Player" function to turn Gregg Zaun into Hideo Nomo, and Ken Dixon into Mike Piazza.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

I'm pretty sure this is gaming the system terribly, but I just used OOTP's "Shop Player" function to turn Gregg Zaun into Hideo Nomo, and Ken Dixon into Mike Piazza.

You can shop low-A prospects, once their eligible for trades, to land marquee players with larger contracts than the AI controlled teams think they can afford. Markus claims OOTP 13 will have the best trade AI ever, but it's still OOTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is why I maintain a full minor league system:

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_298.html

code:
Team Batting Stats & Rankings
Batting Average	        .310 - 1st in NWL
On-Base Percentage	.468 - 1st in NWL
Slugging Percentage	.577 - 1st in NWL