Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

McFunkerson posted:

They were getting 25% before, so the $500 is nice unless you're buying something that retails for over $2k and then it's not as good. $250 off an iPad is drat nice though!

I think they were saying you could combine them.

Still, $500 off is an Air for $499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WD just announced their Thunderbolt MyBook Duo... with no pricing or release information.

In what way is that an announcement?! :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

WD just announced their Thunderbolt MyBook Duo... with no pricing or release information.

COMING SEPTEMBER JULY 2012 2013

Here's my whole deal with 'faster than USB 2.0' external storage:

Unless you're regularly working with 600MB files of whatever your app is (Probably common in Photoshop?), you don't need faster external storage than say 40MB/s. Sure, you can get a FW800 external HD but they're basically double the price of a USB 2.0 drive of the same capacity. Thunderbolt ones seem like they're going to be 3-4X as much.

So I guess if you're in that boat, you probably shouldn't have gotten a laptop anyway (then again the Air doesn't even have loving Firewire so...), but since it's so drat hard to get a bigger HD in a iMac, maybe you didn't buy a laptop in the first place.

A Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt external drive is five hundred loving dollars. That's retarded for non-slow storage. Even with the hard drive price spike.

Not that FW800 isn't really fast enough. I mean it's a lot closer to 100MB/s than 40MB/s.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like it's just an announcement of a demo at Macworld

BOOURNS!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McFunkerson posted:

They were getting 25% before, so the $500 is nice unless you're buying something that retails for over $2k and then it's not as good. $250 off an iPad is drat nice though!
Could you get a low end Mac mini for $100 then? :psyduck:

Binary Badger posted:

Do it to a 1st gen iMac G5 that's been in constant use since October 2005 and it'll burn out the CPU or at the very least crash the machine within 10 minutes
Mine was an original Power Mac G5 from 2003 with annoying noise issues, used it until the 2009 mini came out. Turning off nap was one of the tricks to get rid of the chirping noises :v:.

Bob Morales posted:

A Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt external drive is five hundred loving dollars. That's retarded for non-slow storage. Even with the hard drive price spike.
Reminder that their pricing sucks all around, the eSATA/FW/USB2 version is four hundred loving dollars! WD could wait for the cheaper controller coming out in Q2 or whatever, but if so I imagine they'll just use it for higher profit margins rather than lower prices.

Otherwise I agree with you as long as you're talking about single drives (except for SSDs and particular uses I guess), but for packrats with multiple drives more bandwidth is useful, particularly if they're setting up as a software RAID where adding drives just divides the available bandwidth. I've given up on it for storage for now cause the pricing, outside of maybe getting some eSATA/USB3 adapter down the line to use fast cheaper enclosures.

I'm somewhat interested in the Blackmagic video box just to play stuff on my screen (assuming it has a basic pass through mode), but figure I could just get a display with a bunch of inputs instead. It's not crazily priced at least ($240 vs $200 for the USB 3 version)...but that doesn't include a cable afaik. A third party or two had their own TB cables at CES but no date or pricing announced :argh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if the employees still get the Friends and Family discount. You used to get a 25% discount on Macs as well as three 15% discounts per year that you could purchase for yourself or others, though these orders had to be ordered online so you still paid tax. Retail people could also purchase anything in retail stores without tax.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

FCKGW posted:

Looks like it's just an announcement of a demo at Macworld

BOOURNS!

The demo looks pretty sweet, drives can be linked together via thunderbolt, aggregate performance and one logic disk drive....I assume it's running some sort of software raid. Although at $50 a pop, those cables are going to set you back almost what the drives will :p

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/26/macworld-2012-wdc-shows-off-mybook-thunderbolt-duo/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Could you get a low end Mac mini for $100 then? :psyduck:
Mini is excluded.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Most of the retail employees get 27" iMacs, so it's not that great.

It's actually worse if we can now only get it once every three years.

Ah well.

edit: iPad discount is nice tho.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Apples moisture policy needs to seriously gently caress off. I took in a 3 month old mbp with a hosed trackpad and they returned it to me the next day saying it was full of coffee stains. I got them to open it for me to show me and they couldn't actually show me where it was (cos there wasn't any I have never drunk coffee anywhere near it), but apparently some judas fucker sensor was tripped that was showing liquid damage.

Anyway, later on I discovered that IT DEFINATELY WASN'T liquid damage, rather mechanical damage to an internal ribbon cable.

Regardless I'm putting a case together to drag their rear end into the Trade practices commission. This sort of bullshit might fly with some dumbass turtleneck wearing graphic artist. However I'm an experienced technician, and it loving won't work with me.

gently caress you apple.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

duck monster posted:

dumbass turtleneck wearing graphic artist
Yes because this is Apple's primary demographic. :jerkbag:

Sorry you were the exception to the rule of AppleCare always having fantastic service. It happens from time to time, but escalating the issue usually resolves it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 27, 2012

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
So I've finally decided to to get my first mac. I'm actually well experienced with macs, having worked for applecare at one point in time as well as my girlfriend owning both an iMac and a Macbook pro.

My choices are a base iMac or a Mac mini configured pretty close to the base iMac. I know with the Mac mini I get the advantage of an upgradable display but the iMac seems to have more features and with the mini configured the way I want it there is only a little over $150 difference in pricing after edu discount.

Mainly this will be used for school as well as music editing (I plan on using it to help with recording music) as well as some video editing. I'm leaning towards the iMac but the value of the mini has me second guessing. Any suggestions?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The iMac. I went from a Mini to an iMac and couldn't be happier. It's a cleaner setup, you got the built-in iSight, desktop instead of laptop CPU, and a phenomenal display.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
See that's something I didn't know about the differences (I should have taken another look at the specs) in the cpu. I'm considering the trackpad along with or instead of the mouse as well.

Anyone know how well it can run programs like fruity loops and superior drummer?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The iMac will almost always make more sense than the Mini if you also need a display.

Trackpad + some sort of mouse would be wise. There are times when the mouse can be more helpful.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

duck monster posted:

Apples moisture policy needs to seriously gently caress off. I took in a 3 month old mbp with a hosed trackpad and they returned it to me the next day saying it was full of coffee stains. I got them to open it for me to show me and they couldn't actually show me where it was (cos there wasn't any I have never drunk coffee anywhere near it), but apparently some judas fucker sensor was tripped that was showing liquid damage.

Anyway, later on I discovered that IT DEFINATELY WASN'T liquid damage, rather mechanical damage to an internal ribbon cable.

Regardless I'm putting a case together to drag their rear end into the Trade practices commission. This sort of bullshit might fly with some dumbass turtleneck wearing graphic artist. However I'm an experienced technician, and it loving won't work with me.

gently caress you apple.

Apple is already in the midst of a class-action suit (more) over this issue (well, specifically with iOS devices). As for getting the repair done, if you INSIST there was no liquid damage, and there's no other evidence of liquid damage, leaked Genius Bar instructions indicate the company wants their reps to accept the repair. You can always try calling AppleCare if your local Apple Store employees are being dicks about it. I've had to do so multiple times (about other issues).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's with the graphic artist hate? :(

Apples moisture policy is pure bullshit. They really need to check and see if damage was done by moisture and not rely on some bullshit sensor.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just bought an iMac, and I already have my iPhone synced to my MacBook Pro. Is there an easy way to have it sync to both computers?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yes because this is Apple's primary demographic. :jerkbag:

Sorry you were the exception to the rule of AppleCare always having fantastic service. It happens from time to time, but escalating the issue usually resolves it.

Yeah unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. Speaking with the guy who got me a couple of the replacement bits, he reckons the majority of his customers come from people bounced because of the liquid sensor, and in he's repairs he's found almost none actually with liquid damage. The guy reckons the sensor is far too sensitive to humidity and stress.

Unfortunately a friend who worked in the local store also told me a couple of employees had been using this to bounce warranties even when it was clear that wasnt the issue.

But more to the point, apple actually can't cancel warranties here. They *always* are for one year, because its the law.

The quick talk I had with trade practices commission today was instructive. I like apple, but I loving dislike their behavior in this store, and I intend to go after this store until it loving reeducates itself that appple policy does not over-ride australian consumer protection laws and pays for my loving repair.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

Lord Lilf posted:

See that's something I didn't know about the differences (I should have taken another look at the specs) in the cpu. I'm considering the trackpad along with or instead of the mouse as well.

Anyone know how well it can run programs like fruity loops and superior drummer?

Either Mini or iMac will be great. I use an early 2009 Mini with the 2.0 GHz Core2Duo, 8 GB RAM, and Lion. In Live, I can run multiple instances of Reaktor and Kontakt Player as VSTs along with effects and I don't have any problems. I haven't used Bootcamp, but I'd say FL Studio will be no problem either.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Yarbald posted:

I just bought an iMac, and I already have my iPhone synced to my MacBook Pro. Is there an easy way to have it sync to both computers?

This pretty much falls squarely into "software" and not "hardware", but I'll proffer this anyway:
I can sync to multiple iTunes installs, but not to multiple resources. Using my iPad as an example:
-Syncs to iMac's iTunes for music playlists, podcasts, and photos
-Syncs to iCloud for mail/calendars/notes/contacts
-Syncs to Air's iTunes for apps (development debugging)

Having one single repository for each item is the smarter way to go, IMHO (example: your music library is on an external hard drive attached to your desktop, but perhaps you tend to edit photos on the laptop). Ticking the "sync over WiFi" box per iTunes installation / device really helps this so you don't need cables everywhere.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

duck monster posted:

The quick talk I had with trade practices commission today was instructive. I like apple, but I loving dislike their behavior in this store, and I intend to go after this store until it loving reeducates itself that appple policy does not over-ride australian consumer protection laws and pays for my loving repair.

You won't get anywhere.

You're better calling Apple Care and asking to speak to customer relations. As soon as you bring up consumer law or statutory warranties, Retail employees will refer you to legal.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So my Mac Pro is happily sleeping again. Bizarre, but I think it was changing from a dual-monitor setup to a single. Dunno if it was the video card or the cinema display or the Samsung monitor, but it hasn't fussed once since I disconnected the cinema display.

Terminal kept telling me it was a Bluetooth issue but my magic mouse being on or off had no effect. Hopefully this stays working as I'd be much happier sleeping it than shutting down every night.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
What the gently caress, 500 dollars off.

I was like one day away from getting an i7 MBA, then yesterday I read that Ivy Bridge is supposed to massively increase the graphics capability if/when the Air gets it. Now this discount thing, ack. I know a few people who work at various Apple stores, but what are the odds that some employee accepts a 100 dollar cash bribe to give me their discount :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mr. Onslaught posted:

what are the odds that some employee accepts a 100 dollar cash bribe to give me their discount :v:

Pretty loving low.

Also, you'd have to wait until June at the earliest. Bleh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Onslaught posted:

What the gently caress, 500 dollars off.

I was like one day away from getting an i7 MBA, then yesterday I read that Ivy Bridge is supposed to massively increase the graphics capability if/when the Air gets it. Now this discount thing, ack. I know a few people who work at various Apple stores, but what are the odds that some employee accepts a 100 dollar cash bribe to give me their discount :v:

I wonder if they really enforce the limitations. When I worked retail I used the 25% discount like 3 times in the last year.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Lord Lilf posted:

So I've finally decided to to get my first mac. I'm actually well experienced with macs, having worked for applecare at one point in time as well as my girlfriend owning both an iMac and a Macbook pro.

My choices are a base iMac or a Mac mini configured pretty close to the base iMac. I know with the Mac mini I get the advantage of an upgradable display but the iMac seems to have more features and with the mini configured the way I want it there is only a little over $150 difference in pricing after edu discount.

Mainly this will be used for school as well as music editing (I plan on using it to help with recording music) as well as some video editing. I'm leaning towards the iMac but the value of the mini has me second guessing. Any suggestions?

I have the i5 Mini, and it runs Logic like a champ. The iMac is a better deal, though, unless you already have a nice display OR if you want to run it dual drive with an SSD. The Mini is a piece of cake to add the SSD to, the iMac you basically need to order it with it installed and that is $$$$.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a late 2005 Power Mac G5 2.3GHz dual core and it is in need of a wifi card. I have an Apple A1126 mini-card, but it needs an adaptor/bluetooth (I really don't care to have bluetooth on my computer) card for use with the system. What is my cheapest option to get wifi on this machine?

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
Well I've settled on iMac as that seems to suit my needs a little more than the mini does. I'll be going to Pittsburgh in a week or so to pick it up. I'm happy to learn that it will run superior drummer rather well with Logic Pro.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is ironic considering my last post, but my track pad got completely hosed out of nowhere today after doing a light cleaning. It just bounces around and seems to think I have two fingers on the screen at all times while lagging like a mother fucker. This poo poo is brutal and nothing seems to fix it.

Details: I wiped my 2009 macbook pro earlier with a microfiber cloth that had a tiny bit of windex on it (been doing this for years) and now the track pad is totally hosed and unusable. I have been gooogling for hours and nothing helps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know how much of a Mac Mini is DIY and not. Can you upgrade the hard drive at a later date? I really want the faster model but I don't like how much Apple wants me to pay to have 7200RPM (aka adequate) storage.

EDIT: Looks like it can be done, but it's really far in there.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 28, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know how much of a Mac Mini is DIY and not. Can you upgrade the hard drive at a later date? I really want the faster model but I don't like how much Apple wants me to pay to have 7200RPM (aka adequate) storage.

Go to iFixIt and compare the directions of HD replacement from the new Mini, to the old one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Colonel Sanders posted:

I have a late 2005 Power Mac G5 2.3GHz dual core and it is in need of a wifi card. I have an Apple A1126 mini-card, but it needs an adaptor/bluetooth (I really don't care to have bluetooth on my computer) card for use with the system. What is my cheapest option to get wifi on this machine?

Shove one of these into a free USB port, install the included Ralink drivers, reboot and you should be all set. It's 35 bucks and you get 802.11n compatibility.

If you can live with only 802.11 b/g, this is $10.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

NESguerilla posted:

This is ironic considering my last post, but my track pad got completely hosed out of nowhere today after doing a light cleaning.
The spirit of Steve got angry at your post and decided to teach you an object lesson. :v:

quote:

Details: I wiped my 2009 macbook pro earlier with a microfiber cloth that had a tiny bit of windex on it (been doing this for years) and now the track pad is totally hosed and unusable.
Why Windex? That poo poo's got ammonia in it. Ammonia corrodes aluminum, albeit slowly.

Check the cables between the trackpad and the logic board, maybe something came loose?

In my experience, once a trackpad is hosed, there's no way to repair it, just get it replaced.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Do all 2011 13 inch macbook airs creak and pop when you pick them up or apply pressure to the palm rest area? I took mine to the genius bar and they tightened up the screws and it didn't creak for a few days but now it does again. I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging it for another one or if there's no point because they all do this?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tutu posted:

Do all 2011 13 inch macbook airs creak and pop when you pick them up or apply pressure to the palm rest area? I took mine to the genius bar and they tightened up the screws and it didn't creak for a few days but now it does again. I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging it for another one or if there's no point because they all do this?

It seems to be a reasonably common issue. Mine did that for a while after I replaced some RAM but after I tightened the screws I haven't had any issues, but other people have reported it still stays afterwards.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Craptacular! posted:

It's really easy. You can replace a single hard drive without even separating the logic board. Just get a nice set of small torx bits.

To add a second drive you'll need to get a second cable at minimum, and separate the logic board (super easy but it's a few more steps.) You can go through the whole ifixit how-to if you want to install the grommets and install it as it would be from the factory, but I just wrapped some small elastic hair ties around my SSD to keep things from sloshing around (and it's a really tight fit so you dont' need much to do so.) I didn't have to go past separating the logic board to get the drive in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

The spirit of Steve got angry at your post and decided to teach you an object lesson. :v:

Why Windex? That poo poo's got ammonia in it. Ammonia corrodes aluminum, albeit slowly.

Check the cables between the trackpad and the logic board, maybe something came loose?

In my experience, once a trackpad is hosed, there's no way to repair it, just get it replaced.
Well the trackpad itself is glass at least. Maybe some liquid residue (which fucks with capacitance) left? Of course the Windex should've evaporated...

computer parts posted:

It seems to be a reasonably common issue. Mine did that for a while after I replaced some RAM but after I tightened the screws I haven't had any issues, but other people have reported it still stays afterwards.
Tutu asked about the MBA, which doesn't have replaceable RAM :eng101:

No clue about them myself, anyone know if they have Loctite on them from the factory? That might explain them coming loose again if they just tightened them in the store.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I had a WD 2tb green caviar external drive that just died with no warning 5 months into service, losing 1.5tb of backups. Apparently this is a known problem due to lovely controllers (I have just found out) and I am going to hopefully get my drat money back instead of just rma'ing it for a replacement.

Anyway I am looking for a good RELIABLE replacement external hard drive and was wondering if there was consensus for the ones to look for.

Edit: just to clarify I'm running the latest version of Lion, and Disk Utility and DiskWarrior will not recognize the drive. I've even taken it out of it's housing and put it into another SATA enclosure. Apparently there is a chip on board the drive itself that is prone to catastrophic failure and damages the heads themselves. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Because I am stupid and it was the only cleaner I had sitting around. Do you think it's possible a tiny drop of moisture got in between the pad and the unibody and tripped it out?

Since last night it has gone from totally unusable to almost completely normal. It still feels a tiny bit laggy but I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

On the off chance that I need to check the track pad I would have to pull the battery out right? There are all sorts of warnings telling me not to pull it out. Is that just warranty related? This thing is 3 years old so i don't have a warranty to void.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 28, 2012