Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Commander Sylux posted:

It means that my Grandmother, Grandpa, and cousin all have iPhones and went into the store with me to get mine, holstering them in their OtterBox sidearm cases, and despite their display the AT&T guy still tried to sell me the Android model he had bought himself. I told him I was there to buy one; "Oh, but the Android has some great features the iPhone doesn't!". I want to use FaceTime with my family: "But you can have live backgrounds!" I like the iPhone apps: "Android has those apps and more-" okay can I talk to a different frakking guy, please?
I meant this part "AT & Bigot Chamber"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently did a fresh Jailbreak and I'm wondering which program I should use for tethering and the risks involved with that. I'm currently looking at MyWi and TetherMe. From what I can tell MyWi has a bunch more features than TetherMe, but costs much more money and is an "actual app" Whereas TetherMe has much less features, but is simple to use and much cheaper?

I'm also wondering about the "risks" involved with tethering. I'm currently grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan and I plan to tether my HP Touchpad and my iTouch (which my girlfriend uses under my iTunes account). I don't plan to use the tethering much but I've heard of people receiving letters from AT&T.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

randyest posted:

What does this mean? :confused:

I'm calling that an extreme auto correct mishap.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

obi_ant posted:

I recently did a fresh Jailbreak and I'm wondering which program I should use for tethering and the risks involved with that. I'm currently looking at MyWi and TetherMe. From what I can tell MyWi has a bunch more features than TetherMe, but costs much more money and is an "actual app" Whereas TetherMe has much less features, but is simple to use and much cheaper?

I'm also wondering about the "risks" involved with tethering. I'm currently grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan and I plan to tether my HP Touchpad and my iTouch (which my girlfriend uses under my iTunes account). I don't plan to use the tethering much but I've heard of people receiving letters from AT&T.
Either works fine and unless you tether your PC and download 100GB of torrents or something you'll be fine. I've been tethering since it was possible, and do ~6-8GB a month.

The advantages of MyWi over tetherme:

- Can set transmit power % higher to boost tether distance, or lower to save battery
- Can use a status bar icon to indicate hotspot on instead of that huge annoying throbbing blue bar (which also wastes battery.)
- Has "on demand" which lets other iOS devices automatically turn on the wifi hotspot when needed. This wouldn't wok with your touchpad, but would with the touch.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

randyest posted:

- Has "on demand" which lets other iOS devices automatically turn on the wifi hotspot when needed. This wouldn't wok with your touchpad, but would with the touch.

Oh! So my girlfriend (if she is near me) can turn on the tethering on my iPhone through her iTouch?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

obi_ant posted:

Oh! So my girlfriend (if she is near me) can turn on the tethering on my iPhone through her iTouch?
Yes. She has to install MyWi OnDemand. Then if there is any other wifi available, her touch will use it. If not, it'll turn on your tether, then turn off off again when she's done. I think that mode actually uses BlueTooth tether (maybe optional on the newer version) but it's pretty much the same speed as WiFi and uses a little less battery I think.

edit: I hadn't tried OnDemand since 5.01 and it seems broken until MyWi updates...something about a new BT stack in iOS5:

http://modmyi.com/forums/mywi/793852-mywi-ondemand-wont-connect.html

Wifi/USB tethering still works well though. Not sure if that it is worth the price differential with TetherMe -- I have both and other than the blue bar and no wifi power level controls they work the same. I got MyWi for half off a while back.

https://twitter.com/!/intelliborn/status/155429296134033408 must be hard work :(

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 28, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, I was kinda excited to finally use MyWi OnDemand. I had purchased it when it came out, but at that time I only had one iOS device; just a 3GS.

Now I have my 3GS, 4S, and two iPad 2s. I load up MyWi, and it just sits at "Now Discoverable" and "Waiting for OnDemand Clients".

My iPad 2s see the 4S, but the 4S never sees the iPad 2s.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I was kinda excited to finally use MyWi OnDemand. I had purchased it when it came out, but at that time I only had one iOS device; just a 3GS.

Now I have my 3GS, 4S, and two iPad 2s. I load up MyWi, and it just sits at "Now Discoverable" and "Waiting for OnDemand Clients".

My iPad 2s see the 4S, but the 4S never sees the iPad 2s.

Wow. I was just about to buy the OnDemand license. I guess I'll hold off till they fix it.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
Does this jailbreak gently caress up ibooks, or is there a fix for that? I don't know if i'm going to bother jailbreaking it breaks too much stuff these days.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TomSellek posted:

Does this jailbreak gently caress up ibooks, or is there a fix for that? I don't know if i'm going to bother jailbreaking it breaks too much stuff these days.
The only thing I've ever heard a JB "breaking" was iBooks DRM support. I don't have any Apple DRM books in my iBooks, but it works fine with my imported ePUBs and PDFs. Google search seems to indicate the Absinthe JB does not break iBooks DRM support.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

I'm still unable to get it to Absinthe to work on OSX. Itunes upgraded and 10.7.1. It still crashes every time I open the it. Even tried a full restore on my 4s.

Salmon, the Wise Fish
Jun 28, 2004
Does DisplayOut work well with HBO Go on the Ipad 2?

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

randyest posted:

The only thing I've ever heard a JB "breaking" was iBooks DRM support. I don't have any Apple DRM books in my iBooks, but it works fine with my imported ePUBs and PDFs. Google search seems to indicate the Absinthe JB does not break iBooks DRM support.

I remember one of the last jailbreaks making it so ibooks wouldn't open

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eelface posted:

I'm still unable to get it to Absinthe to work on OSX. Itunes upgraded and 10.7.1. It still crashes every time I open the it. Even tried a full restore on my 4s.
What OSX version? I used Lion in a vmware virtual machine on win7 and it worked fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just checking in. Jailbreaking my 4s with Absinthe 0.3 on Windows. The progress bar jumps up about 10% and then hangs there for about 10-15 minutes now seemingly without any progress. The app stopped responding (after I adjusted at the usb cord came undone, so blaming that) and just started it up again. I wanted to find out if this should be taking this long.

Thanks!

edit: bah, now it's just crashing on its own now. Going to reboot machine and iPhone for good measure. I did upgrade iTunes without rebooting..

Edit2: looks like its filling up my hard drive and then crashing. Wtf is this software doing?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2012

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Time for a "is this possible" question.

Just got an iPad 2 recently. Absinthe'd it. Also have an apple tv running at home, jail broken. Is there a way to do full screen mirroring over wifi between the two? I'd really like to try to run emulators and other doodads over wifi (and yes, I know, lag, just want to try it out) to the television if I can.

I'll probably just have to buy the HDMI kit :smith:

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Vegastar posted:

Time for a "is this possible" question.

Just got an iPad 2 recently. Absinthe'd it. Also have an apple tv running at home, jail broken. Is there a way to do full screen mirroring over wifi between the two? I'd really like to try to run emulators and other doodads over wifi (and yes, I know, lag, just want to try it out) to the television if I can.

I'll probably just have to buy the HDMI kit :smith:

You can airplay mirror to the atv2 on the latest firmware.

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe

obi_ant posted:

I've had this error. You simply have to re-jailbreak it until it works. I had to do it a few times. Make sure that you do not have a password lock on your phone when you're jailbreaking. I turned it off and it worked perfectly fine.

Yeah, I tried it a few times and it finally worked. Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

iLikeMidgets posted:

You can airplay mirror to the atv2 on the latest firmware.

Well poo poo. I guess I should update the atv then. I think the new firmware is jail broken now anyway, not that I actually used or knew what to do with it.

Lee King Wang
Jan 11, 2012

Jailbroke my phone earlier today. Works fantastic! My theme is now not-lovely, and I'm a good ways into Megaman X. It's really re-kindled my love for portable gaming and I think I'll ask someone to drive me to Mexico or something just so I can play it more.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Commander Sylux posted:

Jailbroke my phone earlier today. Works fantastic! My theme is now not-lovely, and I'm a good ways into Megaman X. It's really re-kindled my love for portable gaming and I think I'll ask someone to drive me to Mexico or something just so I can play it more.

Now sync a wiimote+ classic controller to it and you're really styling.

Speaking of which, anybody try the icontrolpad and have thoughts?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Hey guys, potential problem with the jailbreak....today when I've been getting calls, my phone will ring and then when I check the recent calls, they are nowhere to be found. AKA, if I don't answer the call and don't notice my phone ring, I have NO idea if anybody even called me.

Which is no good. Definitely no good.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

iBooks DRM has been busted on all of the 5.0.x and 4.3.x jailbreaks, and sometimes didn't open on 4.1. iBooks worked fine with the 4.2.1 jailbreak.

Yes, the Absinthe jailbreak fucks up iBooks DRM. It's not the jailbreak itself, but the way Apple builds iBooks to gently caress up if it is ran on an "insecure" environment.

iBooks is one of the first things I check when a new jailbreak comes out. Checking Google and other forums will get you a hundred pages of "it works for me!" comments from people that just have their iPhone/iPod loaded with torrented PDFs/eBooks and pirated apps. Meanwhile, as soon as I open protected content that's tied to my account, I'm greeted with corrupted images and encoding errors out the rear end. All of my iBooks content was downloaded directly from Apple.

So, iBooks "works" great for me, as long as I never expect to see anything but countless pages of corrupted images and encoding errors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a way to hide that crappy Newsstand into another folder??

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way to hide that crappy Newsstand into another folder??

Install "NoNewsIsGoodNews" from Cydia to hide that app.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Install "NoNewsIsGoodNews" from Cydia to hide that app.

Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The newest update to Zephyr is awesome and if you haven't bought it yet, you should. I turned off the switch apps with left/right swiping, but swiping up to bring up the multitask bar is awesome. The newest update now makes swipe up close the app, or if you slide it up and hold it for 1 second, it brings up the multitask instead. Pretty cool because now I never use my home button and I can't see Apple now stealing this concept and using it in iPhone 5.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

obi_ant posted:

Thanks!

Just paying it forward, another goon told me trick this several pages back.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

Checking Google and other forums will get you a hundred pages of "it works for me!" comments from people that just have their iPhone/iPod loaded with torrented PDFs/eBooks and pirated apps.
There are many legal ways to buy books other than the apple bookstore :ssh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just remember with tethering and AT&T that when you hit the top 5% of data users, which seems real easy to hit, they'll throttle your speeds quite drastically. They'll send you a bunch of texts warning you and bleh it's annoying. I swear I've hit that "limit" at 2-3 gigs. So, while it is unlimited. It's slow as poo poo when they throttle it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Christoff posted:

Just remember with tethering and AT&T that when you hit the top 5% of data users, which seems real easy to hit, they'll throttle your speeds quite drastically. They'll send you a bunch of texts warning you and bleh it's annoying. I swear I've hit that "limit" at 2-3 gigs. So, while it is unlimited. It's slow as poo poo when they throttle it.
I have never used less than 6GB in a month and this has never happened to me. I'm in Boston. Where are you?

Drosophilaphile
Nov 6, 2009
gently caress, 6 GB? I got throttled at around 1.5 or 2 gigs these past couple of months. I'm really pissed about it too, they've throttled my downlink down to around 0.05 Mbps, making the non-phone parts of the phone practically useless when not on wifi. And I haven't even tethered in months!

gently caress AT&T.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Drosophilaphile posted:

gently caress AT&T.

You mean AT & Bigot Chamber

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

randyest posted:

What OSX version? I used Lion in a vmware virtual machine on win7 and it worked fine.

Snow Leopard 10.7.1 Absinthe runs without my phone plugged in, but the second I plug it in the program crashes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

You mean AT & Bigot Chamber

Bigot Chamber would be an awesome metal band name.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eelface posted:

Snow Leopard 10.7.1 Absinthe runs without my phone plugged in, but the second I plug it in the program crashes.
Weird. It says it works with Snow Leopard or Lion. Dunno what to tell you, sorry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I got an iPad 2 a while back, and now that it's able to jailbreak it, I was thinking about doing that. This is my first iThing, (other than an iPod touch that I got free with my MacBook Pro and sold almost immediately afterwards cause I didn't need it) so I have some questions about the whole thing that I didn't see answered in the OP.

First off, how easy is it to un-jailbreak if I need to use the warranty on it later?

Second, is there a way, with it jailbroken, to put files directly onto the device without using iTunes? Because iTunes on Windows is loving terrible, but my PC is also where I keep all the files that I would want to put on my iPad, with my MacBook just being for video editing for school.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hay, is there a jailbreak app that puts contacts into groups/circles? I keep seeing that awful commercial for the Samsung Galaxy, but it's actually a pretty good idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Circles and the whole "choose who you share with" is all from Google+ but you can already do groups on the phone. At least through iCloud I set groups for family, coworkers, etc. No idea what you can actually do with them but it's neatly organized for me.

There IS a Google+ app where you can manage your circles but your Google Contacts and your Google+ appear to be separate things so it's not like you can use exchange to have everything show up on the phone.

(I haven't tried doing this in a whole so it may be possible Google sorted poo poo out for iOS but I doubt it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Aggro posted:

Hay, is there a jailbreak app that puts contacts into groups/circles? I keep seeing that awful commercial for the Samsung Galaxy, but it's actually a pretty good idea.
A pretty good idea for what? Circles are only meaningful for content pushing. They don't really make sense on a phone OS level (unless you're the kinda guy that likes sending mass texts). Facebook has groups and G+ has circles for when you're updating your social platforms, but I don't see how you would use circles on your phone.

• Locked thread