Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

Come to think of it, the Troll session exiles and the Kid session exiles both used English keyboards on their exile terminals, which leads me to believe that it's sort of the default script in all Sburb games. This mysterious UU seems to be using a terminal, but with Alternian writing. I wonder if this means this is a terminal created or modified by trolls. (Or if Hussie just did that to hit us over the head with "UU is a troll".)

Girls can still be Princes, just like in my Japanese Animes!!! :swoon:

The thing that got me is that although it uses Daedric letters, the keyboard layout is still US. If he wanted to go the full British with UU, he should have the " symbol be shift+2 have the @ symbol be shift+@, have the £ sign in there etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

tinaun posted:

For Page/Knight/Heir/Prince/Maid/Bard, I like:

Page/Maid - Both thief and rouge are both focused on being sneaky/stealing there element. Similarly, both page and maid are subservient classes, bound by their element, in contrast to classes like heir. Page, to me, feels more like a voyage of self-discovery (active), while maid is focused on, in Aradia's case, tying up loose ends and fixing the messes of other players.

Heir/Prince - Both "royalty" classes, often get their powers easily or expected to have total dominion over them. Heirs are pages that do not have to work for it, and are very focused on self, while successful princes (i.e. not Eridan) should focus their powers on helping and leading others around them.

Knight/Bard - Probably the weakest pair association, I like Knight/Bard because of their roles in the classic fantasy band of heroes, the knight fighting while the bard providing moral support. but the way they treat their class and/or how the class treats them are very different.
I like those too, though I can't be so sure about the bard.

Knight performs great feats, Bard immortalizes said feats in poetry and song?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would think Page and Knight would go hand in hand, in that the Knight leads while the Page serves a more supportive role.

And so I'm not misinterpreting things, essentially the Thief/Rogue dichotomy is that the Thief steals for themselves, while the Rogue steals for everybody?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 29, 2012

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If we're trying to match by job title I think the closest fit is probably Page/Maid (one who serves), Prince/Heir (one who rules), Seer/Mage (one who foretells), Witch/Sylph (one who does magic poo poo), Rogue/Thief (one who steals), Knight/Bard (one who... I dunno, quests?)

The main problem is that some of these don't really lend themselves to the +/- pairing, like Page/Maid. Then again, UU did basically admit that it was all pretty much arbitrary bullshit.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

And remember that it ain't black & white. In all likelihood there will be some classes that don't have a positive/negative class to compliment them, or that their class falls precariously in between a positive/negative orientation.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
My Theorycraft (Passive/Active)

Rouge/Thief - Canon

Page/Knight - Makes sense that they would work together. We know Dave (Knight) is definitely an active class from the discussion he had with Aradia about their power. Tavros never really used his powers so it's hard to say how that would have gone.

Prince/Heir - John (Heir) seems to use the Windy Thing for combat, while Eridan seemed like he was supposed to give hope to the other trolls (which he did the opposite of, echoing UU's suggestion).

Mage/Witch - Also thematically go together. Sollux never seemed to use his power for combat, though neither did Jade. Jade's power does look like it would be pretty effective in combat, so who knows.

Maid/Bard - Not really sure about this one. Aradia's class is passive (again referencing the distinction she made between her and Dave), but I'm not sure what Gamzee's powers entail or how they manifest.

Seer/Sylph - Seers use their powers to help others, particularly with tactical assistance (Obvious from Terezi and Rose's manifestations of their powers). Sylphs are like Faeries or some poo poo? I have no idea.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 29, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nate RFB posted:

Well, we could start guessing UU's "exclusively female" class I suppose. Witch, maybe Sylph, Maid...?

Maid.

She's a Handmaiden.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I've got my money on Maid. Also, that alliterates.

Wait, what makes witch an exclusively female class?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

wow I completely misunderstood the post I was quoting, nevermind

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Maid.

She's a Handmaiden.

I think she might be THE handmaiden :tinfoil:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I think she might be THE handmaiden :tinfoil:
I've been assuming this since UU's introduction. Hussie isn't just going to introduce the handmaiden and do nothing with her, and this seems like the only way she can be incorporated into the story.

Troll: Check
Girl: Check
Probably a Maid (assumably one of two female-exclusive classes, along with Witch): Check
Probably Evil (or at least supposed to be): Heckacheck

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

snucks posted:

I've been assuming this since UU's introduction. Hussie isn't just going to introduce the handmaiden and do nothing with her, and this seems like the only way she can be incorporated into the story.

Probably a Maid (assumably one of two female-exclusive classes, along with Witch): Check

I'd say getting the Condesce into the Kids' universe qualifies as "doing something with [the Handmaid]" though. UU could very well be the Handmaid (she does kinda talk a little bit like Aradia I guess?), but I'm not convinced.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lady of the Beech posted:

Wait, what makes witch an exclusively female class?

I think the assumption here is that both Fef and Jade are Witches and also, like, "witch" has female connotations these days (even though historically there are 16th century woodcuts of dudes captioned "Witch" and stuff, which leaves some openness. but I don't think Hussie has/had male witches in mind)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

snucks posted:

I don't think she's owed a role any more than any of the other ancestors. I can't really see the Handmaid ever being this cheerful, either, even if she was faking. She was introduced as a seething ball of youthful rebellion and matured into a seething ball of spiteful, grudging servitude. UU doesn't really seem to do a whole lot of seething.

She does seem faintly reminiscent of (living) Aradia, though, doesn't she? I wonder if she is somehow pre-Scratch Handmaid. That... doesn't really account for the symbol, though.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

snucks posted:

I've been in the same boat. It doesn't help she has the same views on lying as her pops Scratch.
Edit: pops?

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 29, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

She could easily be happy by virtue of knowing that she's nearing the end of her forced servitude. Or that she's secretly planning to help the kids out while overtly manipulating them towards failure. Plus, we never really saw much of the Handmaid's personality aside from the fact that she was pretty upset about being locked up by Doc Scratch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

For my money sylph is probably the passive to witch's active, given what we've seen of Jade and Kanaya, while mage is the active to seer's passive.

Also sylph is another female-exclusive title most probably.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Android Blues posted:

For my money sylph is probably the passive to witch's active, given what we've seen of Jade and Kanaya, while mage is the active to seer's passive.

Also sylph is another female-exclusive title most probably.

It would also be more interesting this way so we can see the difference between Active space and Passive space heroes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also I totally really like UU but she's so gonna be evil. I hope she turns out to be good though!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

She could easily be happy by virtue of knowing that she's nearing the end of her forced servitude. Or that she's secretly planning to help the kids out while overtly manipulating them towards failure. Plus, we never really saw much of the Handmaid's personality aside from the fact that she was pretty upset about being locked up by Doc Scratch.

We've already seen what the end of her forced servitude looked like and I don't think it was happy funtimes. Also I think we've gotten a reasonable glimpse of her personality.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I found it interesting how this conversation sort of echoed Rose's and Scratch's, what with the mentioning of lying through selectively telling the truth, and how Rose was a sucker but Roxy seems at least somewhat on the ball and sees through UU.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doc Scratch is both the most and the least reliable of narrators. We really can't imply anything from that sequence other than what is explicitly stated. Having the Handmaiden / UU? be a cheerful, friendly character who happens to be forced into the role of a villain by fate can still easily fit what was said since there are many potential ways to gain a reputation as a monster.

Or she could be terrifyingly disturbed and just hides her sociopathy behind an affable mask. We just don't know yet.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I think UU's class is going to turn out to be completely new. Is it stated anywhere that there's just the twelve?

Maid looks pretty active from the way Aradia uses her powers. And Knight, Heir and Witch probably are too. Assuming there's an equal number of active and passive classes, what's the other one? Mage?

Knight/Page, Heir/Prince and Witch/Slyph are all strongly thematically linked so pairing them up like that makes sense, but I can't see much of a connection between Maid, Bard, Mage and Seer.

I'm really interested to see how this all works out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shwoo posted:

I think UU's class is going to turn out to be completely new. Is it stated anywhere that there's just the twelve?

I think Andrew has, if not outright stated, heavily implied that there are way more classes and aspects than the ones we've seen so far.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Andrew Hussie posted a bunch of sketches to his Tumblr, by the way.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I think Andrew has, if not outright stated, heavily implied that there are way more classes and aspects than the ones we've seen so far.

Hes definitely stated that the twelve we know arent the only ones. I think he will just stay with the twelve though. The only class we're missing is Thief so thats what I think UU is.

e: nevermind, forgot that she said that it couldnt be Thief.

KoB fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 29, 2012

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

This one may be my favorite :3:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I love this line:

quote:

Here is a Lord English. Bear in mind these were requested almost a year ago. I am sure this generous donor thought they had found a clever loophole and could find out what he looked like long before anyone else did. Little did they know I had an ace up my sleeve: massive procrastination.

Good ol' Hussie :allears:

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
So I think that Roxy's "Robinhood of Void" title is going to be about her stealing the lack of information from enemies and giving it to allies. So revealing information about Lord English while preventing him from knowing what's going on with our heroes?

If LE has Doc Scratch's omniscience then she could also be stealing that from him and giving it to the kids?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
LOHAC day traders :3:. they're fuckin adorable until you find the tumblr full of nothing but NAK NAK NAKNAK NAK NAK 53%

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.
The most adorable capitalists after Recettear.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

QueerPope posted:

So I think that Roxy's "Robinhood of Void" title is going to be about her stealing the lack of information from enemies and giving it to allies. So revealing information about Lord English while preventing him from knowing what's going on with our heroes?

If LE has Doc Scratch's omniscience then she could also be stealing that from him and giving it to the kids?

I could see it being something like her Void powers letting her get close to LE without him actually knowing it and gathering info about things like the Troll Empress, etc.

Also, does anyone get the feeling that the original + scratch kids are venerated somewhat and legends on UU's planet? She uses the term "figUre of legend" when talking about Rose, which is pretty strange unless they're considered someone important in their planet's/species' history, at least by the educated. Full quote below:

quote:

UU: she soUnds to me like the well known figUre of legend.
UU: or at least, well known to those who make the stUdy of sUch matters into their all consUming pastime. ~_u

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

The thing that gets me is that UU refers to "texts" when discussing Roxy's Void aspect, and combined with what republican posted, is that she has access to a repository of information and writings on the nature of SBURB. How in the hell does a society go about documenting a game that destroys/creates entire universes?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Also, does anyone get the feeling that the original + scratch kids are venerated somewhat and legends on UU's planet? She uses the term "figUre of legend" when talking about Rose, which is pretty strange unless they're considered someone important in their planet's/species' history, at least by the educated. Full quote below:

UU said something similar in the first conversation with Jane.

quote:

UU: it is the day whereafter the legendary octet of mUtUal progenitoriety will come together and heal a great breach in paradox space.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FewtureMD posted:

The thing that gets me is that UU refers to "texts" when discussing Roxy's Void aspect, and combined with what republican posted, is that she has access to a repository of information and writings on the nature of SBURB. How in the hell does a society go about documenting a game that destroys/creates entire universes?

Probably has something to do with the GameFAQs review that Rose wrote ages ago, and ultimately set adrift in the furthest ring.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Thundarr posted:

Probably has something to do with the GameFAQs review that Rose wrote ages ago, and ultimately set adrift in the furthest ring.

My guess is either this, or their session creates UU's universe.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

closeted republican posted:

Also, does anyone get the feeling that the original + scratch kids are venerated somewhat and legends on UU's planet? She uses the term "figUre of legend" when talking about Rose, which is pretty strange unless they're considered someone important in their planet's/species' history, at least by the educated.
Don't some of the books on Skaian lore in one of the walkarounds imply that Prospitians and Dersites see the players as heroes of legend? (Not that I think UU is a carapace; this is just personal clarification.)

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
What if UU is a Carapace person and that's why everything is "of legend"? It was said somewhere that carapace were supposed to remake the planet after it's destroyed and then play the game again, so she could be one of the carapace from one of those worlds. It would also set her in the future and if she just lived on Alternia in the society that was built by SS then she would probably have an Alternian keyboard.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lady of the Beech posted:

I have to admit, though, you could make a good play-by-post RPG out of this stuff.

You know, I just had my first exposure to the FATE pen-and-paper rpg system, and it occurs to me that whole compels/invocation thing would work really well with kind of story Hussie tells.

Andrew Hussie's character sheet posted:

Name: John Egbert
High Concept: Heir of Breath
Trouble: Too Trusting

Aspects: Lineage of Pranksters, Friend-Leader, Hammer-Time, A Wandering Vagrant in my Head, Vriska's Protégé

Skills:
Great: Rapport, Presence
Good: Conviction, Weapons
Fair: Scholarship, Athletics
Average: Endurance, Deceit

Basically, the player and the GM have a fate-point currency based on your concept/trouble/aspects. The player can pay the the GM to do awesome stuff when it enters their areas of expertise ("Rather than exploring the maze of cooridors leading down into Skaia, I'm going to spend a fate point and use my Breath powers to make a giant air-drill"), and the GM can bribe the player to make complications for him or her ("Another troll contacts you and tells you to follow her map to skip to the end of the game. There's a fate point in it if you're a bit too trusting of her advice...").

When building a character, you have to balance because taking lots of cool powers lowers your reserve of Fate Points. So you either end up a character like Vriska or Robo-Ghost-Aradia who are totally OP in combat, but compelled very often to behave in certain ways, or you have a large Fate bank and are less powerful in combat, but end up being "lucky" a lot, because you have lots of Fate Points to spend on cool stuff, like early-story John.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, remember that the trolls could read her FAQ long before they even entered the medium.