Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I tried to play tanks for a while, but could never get anyone to actually play. I think I managed to initiate one game and it ended with me making my first turn.

Edit: Sweet new game edit - Free action-RPG mech game called Titan up in the marketplace.

IcedPee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
My first (free) WP7 app just got released to the marketplace!
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/9d992395-59ab-4920-bf5a-6199573de6e9

It's basically an attempt to replace Libra, the weight tracking app, which doesn't seem to be on WP7 yet. It tracks your weight (daily entry) and gives statistics like high/low weight, average, etc.

The "killer feature" is the trending though. It uses the Hacker's Diet as a guideline and creates a trend line, smoothing out any sudden jumps or losses in weight. I guess it's based on the stock market and "moving averages".

I'm pretty excited to have it up there. There's some issues I already know about, the first being how freaking awkward it is to input new weights. My bad. The "add" button is hidden in the application button bar and that isn't cool. It's awkward. One of my first updates will be moving the button next to the weight textbox.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's basically an attempt to replace Libra, the weight tracking app, which doesn't seem to be on WP7 yet. It tracks your weight (daily entry) and gives statistics like high/low weight, average, etc.

The "killer feature" is the trending though. It uses the Hacker's Diet as a guideline and creates a trend line, smoothing out any sudden jumps or losses in weight. I guess it's based on the stock market and "moving averages".

I'm pretty excited to have it up there. There's some issues I already know about, the first being how freaking awkward it is to input new weights. My bad. The "add" button is hidden in the application button bar and that isn't cool. It's awkward. One of my first updates will be moving the button next to the weight textbox.

Can you provide a deep link, too? The one you posted is intended for PCs only, not phones.

I also have a fitness app tailored for P90X coming soon; not a fan of the existing one. Almost done!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

bootleg robot posted:

Can you provide a deep link, too? The one you posted is intended for PCs only, not phones.

I also have a fitness app tailored for P90X coming soon; not a fan of the existing one. Almost done!

Whoops, yes I can.

http://windowsphone.com/s?appId=9d992395-59ab-4920-bf5a-6199573de6e9

For some reason the app is reporting it needs access to the music library, which is false. I'll clean that stuff up. I also need to clean up the "first time use" view, as when there's no data in the graph it goes nuts on the labeling.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Myrddin Emrys posted:

For some reason the app is reporting it needs access to the music library, which is false. I'll clean that stuff up. I also need to clean up the "first time use" view, as when there's no data in the graph it goes nuts on the labeling.
When you resubmit it, make it also available globally, it seems to be restricted to US only?

I don't even know why global release isn't the default option but Microsoft has always been retarded when it comes to regional releases and their Live ID system is a loving mess if you actually move in to another country, even moving account from EU country to another is impossible.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Whoops, yes I can.

Yay, added this to the OP.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Stubb Dogg posted:

When you resubmit it, make it also available globally, it seems to be restricted to US only?

I don't even know why global release isn't the default option but Microsoft has always been retarded when it comes to regional releases and their Live ID system is a loving mess if you actually move in to another country, even moving account from EU country to another is impossible.

Someone else mentioned this earlier. Was not intentional, definitely didn't want to restrict region. I was admittedly in a rush because I like the idea of getting something out there and tweaking it. Too many times I've started projects and given up when I couldn't make them perfect - now it's out there so I'll just keep improving it. :)

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Are you also planning on adding support for units besides pounds? Kilograms would be useful once you opened the app up outside the US. For some reason I enjoy weighing myself in stone so I'll request that too.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Crumps Brother posted:

Are you also planning on adding support for units besides pounds? Kilograms would be useful once you opened the app up outside the US. For some reason I enjoy weighing myself in stone so I'll request that too.

Yup, that's on my ToDo list. Once I get user settings support that's the second thing going in (the first being height settings for BMI calculations).

Trickily the graph itself doesn't use units, so the graphing aspect is a nobrainer, it's really just labeling the user-input. And possibly conversions if/when people switch units.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can I please redesign a logo for you?

I personally think logos are a huge first impression (I rarely download an app that I feel has a cheap logo) and that one sort of turns me off.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

BonoMan posted:

Can I please redesign a logo for you?

I personally think logos are a huge first impression (I rarely download an app that I feel has a cheap logo) and that one sort of turns me off.

Haha, I know what you mean. If I was more graphical/artistic I would do it, but then I probably wouldn't have gone into programming in the first place. All the colors and stuff in the program (besides the logo and random loading screen, because I didn't have a logo) are just the theme colors, so they'll change depending on user settings.

If you want to design a logo that would be awesome. PM me if you are serious, as there's some style guidelines they enforce.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I'm trying to learn XNA studio so I can make some games that I'd actually like to play, but I'm finding it hard to sit down and code in the evening after I spend all day coding at work when it's just me coming up with the ideas and the execution (and the artwork. Seriously, gently caress 3D modeling and texturing).

Anyone have any interest in starting a goon project? Difficulty: no zybourne clock.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

IcedPee posted:

I'm trying to learn XNA studio so I can make some games that I'd actually like to play, but I'm finding it hard to sit down and code in the evening after I spend all day coding at work when it's just me coming up with the ideas and the execution (and the artwork. Seriously, gently caress 3D modeling and texturing).

Anyone have any interest in starting a goon project? Difficulty: no zybourne clock.

Goon projects are like text in Metro.

What scope are you looking for? Like, a simple game with inventive mechanics or something with a Tolstoy narrative?
I suppose a goon project if viable if you've got a creative cut-off point and clear enough definition of task distribution. If you're up for that I can do some modeling and texturing for you. (Simple stuff, though. No characters or things of that nature due to lack of skill.)

AtomD fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2012

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

AtomD posted:

I like this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Bunch of suggestions for its visual design:
- First screen: Get rid of the frame around the graph.
- Second screen: Use accent color for the data values, maybe bold font for the description labels to remove the double colons. Maybe the ad on the bottom to match most other apps? Make it say "No. of days tracked" instead of "# of days..."
- Third screen: Align the date field with the list below it. Maybe try to align the "lbs" with the entry field, possibly formatting it as if it'd belong to it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bunch of suggestions for its visual design:
- First screen: Get rid of the frame around the graph.
- Second screen: Use accent color for the data values, maybe bold font for the description labels to remove the double colons. Maybe the ad on the bottom to match most other apps? Make it say "No. of days tracked" instead of "# of days..."
- Third screen: Align the date field with the list below it. Maybe try to align the "lbs" with the entry field, possibly formatting it as if it'd belong to it.

Thanks! I'm actually working on version 1.1 right now. The ads are on top because I'm still learning how the UI layout stuff works in XAML, I originally tried to place it on the bottom but the other elements just overlapped it, so I put it on the top and that seemed to work.

The accent color is a great idea, I'll see if I can do that. Also the removing of the graph frame is a good idea too, right now I'm more or less just using the default values. I also want to remove the actual data points for the trend graph, and add a small buffer to the top/bottom of the graph (right now the top of the chart = highest value, bottom = lowest value, I think a small buffer would make it look better).

As far as the alignment of the fields on the weight log page, I'm working on that now. I'm removing the + menu button and making it a static page-based button, but once again I'm wrestling with UI layout in XAML, I'm too used to standard HTML/CSS style layouts. Learning process!

Also fixing some bugs (like the fact that the labels on the graph look like crap when you get more then around 15 entries, that's already fixed!), adding in some more statistics, hopefully getting settings like height/goal weight and calculating when you'll reach the goal weight. I also want to break the statistics page up into groups to make it easier to scan for what you want, rather than just a long list.

And a goon is making me a real logo!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

IcedPee posted:

If you are taking requests I would love to see a well made RISK-clone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Thanks! I'm actually working on version 1.1 right now. The ads are on top because I'm still learning how the UI layout stuff works in XAML, I originally tried to place it on the bottom but the other elements just overlapped it, so I put it on the top and that seemed to work.
Depends whether you're using a StackPanel or Grid for layout.

If I had to guess, the data's put as TextBlocks in a Grid. You could nest that in another Grid with just two rows. Put the data grid on row 0, the ad on row 1 with VerticalAlignment to Bottom.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The accent color is a great idea, I'll see if I can do that.
Silverlight comes with predefined system styles, that are adjusted to system colors on the fly.

<TextBlock Style="{StaticResource PhoneTextAccentStyle}">...</TextBlock>

That'd do it. All explicit styles come with margins, tho. You might have to override them, if necessary.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depends whether you're using a StackPanel or Grid for layout.

If I had to guess, the data's put as TextBlocks in a Grid. You could nest that in another Grid with just two rows. Put the data grid on row 0, the ad on row 1 with VerticalAlignment to Bottom.

Silverlight comes with predefined system styles, that are adjusted to system colors on the fly.

<TextBlock Style="{StaticResource PhoneTextAccentStyle}">...</TextBlock>
That's what I originally did, but it stacked the rows for some reason I don't understand. Also, if the data wasn't very long, the ad was in the middle of the page. I'll keep tinkering with the layout options.

And yeah, I'm using the Static Resource accent styles to color the weight log entries already, I still need to learn about inline text formatting (if it even exists) or if I'll need to apply it to a whole textblock or whatever. But I'm having fun learning.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You need to make sure you've set the row and column attributes correctly. If controls seem to be overlapping, they're not set correctly, both to the same value making controls land in the same cell, or not at all.

code:
<Grid>
    <Grid.RowDefinitions>
        <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        <RowDefinition Height="Auto" />
    </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid Grid.Row="0">
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="24" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<TextBlock Grid.Row="0">...</TextBlock>
        <TextBlock Grid.Row="1">...</TextBlock>
        <TextBlock Grid.Row="2">...</TextBlock>
    </Grid>

<AdControl Grid.Row="1" />
</Grid>
As far RowDefinitions and ColumnDefinitions go, the asterisk tells the engine to split the rows and columns into even parts where possible, the Auto tells it to use the minimum size. If you have one asterisked row and an auto row, putting your content in the first row and the ad in the second row should push the ad automatically to the bottom and let the rest of the content have all space.

As far as inline formatting goes, that works by wrapping text sections in a TextBlock in Span's.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Wordfeud has arrived! I' already playing several games with ios and android people, its working fine though notifications don't seem to be active right now.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!

AtomD posted:

What scope are you looking for? Like, a simple game with inventive mechanics or something with a Tolstoy narrative?
I suppose a goon project if viable if you've got a creative cut-off point and clear enough definition of task distribution. If you're up for that I can do some modeling and texturing for you. (Simple stuff, though. No characters or things of that nature due to lack of skill.)

I just got pulled into two bands in the last couple of days, so after this week, I'll have a better idea of how much free time I'm going to have to devote to XNA studio. Ideally, I'd like to do something of a 3d space sim wherein you mine resources, buy/sell/deliver goods, and occasionally fight, but with very simple gameplay, like clicking on an asteroid to begin mining rather than actually piloting your ship.

You know, the more I describe that, the less fun it seems to sound.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm debating swapping my windows phone back to my work number. The big issue i have, and the only main one with windows, is just maps support. Bing maps sucks, and even though I get Telenav at no charge, I hate their windows app. Any better solutions out there? I'll even consider paying if its good enough.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm debating swapping my windows phone back to my work number. The big issue i have, and the only main one with windows, is just maps support. Bing maps sucks, and even though I get Telenav at no charge, I hate their windows app. Any better solutions out there? I'll even consider paying if its good enough.

There is an app for Google Maps if that would be better for you.

Or you could get a Nokia.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gold and a Pager posted:

There is an app for Google Maps if that would be better for you.

Or you could get a Nokia.

Needs turn by turn direction, which I didn't think the windows phone version did.

And for better or worse Sprint decided to not sell Windows, so there will be no Nokia drive option for me. Otherwise I would likely have gotten Nokia.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
I don't know why telenav apps are so bad for windows phone. It runs like trash on ATT phones, so I imagine the Sprint one is the same.

The Garmin apps are supposed to be good, but they're way too expensive for me.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Duckman2008 posted:

Needs turn by turn direction, which I didn't think the windows phone version did.

And for better or worse Sprint decided to not sell Windows, so there will be no Nokia drive option for me. Otherwise I would likely have gotten Nokia.

I don't know what you mean by "Sprint decided to not sell Windows" and how that affects your ability to side-load Nokia Drive onto your phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Skype is finally out (in beta form):

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c3f8e570-68b3-4d6a-bdbb-c0a3f4360a51

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Maneki Neko posted:

Skype is finally out (in beta form):

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c3f8e570-68b3-4d6a-bdbb-c0a3f4360a51
It should be noted that there is no background agent yet, so you can't receive incoming calls or IMs when the app isn't open.
I'll repost the list of current beta limitations:
code:
Category 	Description 	
Calling 	It is not possible to receive calls when Skype is not in foreground
Calling 	Video calling works only in landscape mode
Calling 	There is no call in progress indicator 	If you navigate to another place in the Skype app, return to the *recent* pivot, find the person with which you're currently talking to, open that conversation, and swipe to the live call pivot.
Calling 	Changing the flag/country in the dialpad is not possible. 	
Calling 	It is not yet possible to participate on conference calls 
Calling 	Skype will crash when terminating an an outgoing call before the remote party answers
Calling 	Skype may crash when navigating to a contact immediately after completing a video call to that contact.
Contacts 	It is not yet possible to add new contacts
Contacts 	It is not yet possible to remove contacts from contact list 
Contacts 	It is not yet possible to block contacts or view blocked contacts 
Feedback form 	Online feedback form button does not work
IM 	        It is not possible to receive IM's when Skype is not in foreground 
Localization 	The application is available in English only 
Presence 	It is not possible to set your Presence currently. While you are logged into Skype for Windows Phone, your presence is automatically set to "online" while the app is in the foreground. 
Voice Messages 	It is not possible to retrieve Voice Messages directly from the phone 

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do you have a link to the source of that list? Thanks

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

beefnoodle posted:

Do you have a link to the source of that list? Thanks

I reposted it from here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Phone-BETA/Skype-0-2-0-0-Beta-for-Windows-Phone/td-p/525371

I tried to dig through some of the reports on the skype forum, but they are mostly unintelligible. There are also a couple of minor bugs that people have reported related to hardware keyboards that probably don't affect many people. Also, some people have complained about bluetooth integration not working properly, but I haven't had a ton of trouble yet.
Edit: Also, it's mentioned somewhere deep in a skype for WP7 FAQ but you have to have a country code listed for someone for an entry to show up in the skype phonebook. From my own experience, only one number will show up per contact though, so you can control which one shows up by adding the country code only to the mobile or home number.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Microsoft announced a bunch of upcoming Windows Phone games, some good looking titles here, although a bunch of them have been on other platforms for a while:

Carcassone – The award-winning tile-based board game Carcassonne is coming to Windows Phone! With the online multiplayer, Xbox LIVE achievements, leaderboards and more, this game never gets old.

Civilization Revolution – Award winning Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution is coming to Windows Phone! Build, Discover, Rule the world.

DODONPACHI – An original shooter by Arcade veteran CAVE is arriving for Windows Phone. Can you handle EVAC Industries’ Maximum Bullet Simulator.

GeoDefense Swarm – The fast-paced tower defense game GeoDefense Swarm for Windows Phone gives the power to obliterate a horde of vibrant, vector-styled enemies with multiple weapons of choice.

Gerbil Physics – In Gerbil Physics, a physics-based puzzle game that blows up buildings made of gerbils for Windows Phone, it’s all about adorable destruction.

Pinball FX2 (Microsoft Studios) – Pinball FX2 for Windows Phone features new tables and all-new features including a state-of-the-art physics model and a connection to your Xbox 360 Pinball FX2 scores.

Pirates! – Available now on Windows Phone, Sid Meier’s Pirates! is an exciting high-seas adventure overflowing with intense pirate action and a treasure chest of gameplay riches!

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami) – This spring, the unrivalled and award-winning football simulation from Konami is entering a new season on Windows Phone!

Shoot 1UP! (Microsoft Studios) – This Spring, an armada of ships is coming to Windows Phone in Shoot 1UP.

Wordament (Microsoft Studios) – In the world of Wordament for Xbox LIVE, Windows Phone word searchers across the whole Internet compete on the same board, in real-time, to get the highest score.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 5, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

...Wordament isn't new :crossarms:

That said, WELP guess I'm buying Pirates! for I think the third time v:v:v

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

loquacius posted:

...Wordament isn't new :crossarms:

That said, WELP guess I'm buying Pirates! for I think the third time v:v:v

Yes, but it's wordament with achievements! :)

I'll inevitably end up buying Civ Rev, I think I've owned it on every single platform I've owned that it's been available on.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
Had a blast playing the original GeoDefence, but it didn't have much replay for me. Loved the art style and all that jazz, so i'll probably get the new one.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8f0gF9bnKw

This IE app looks pretty neat

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Murkyhumor posted:

Had a blast playing the original GeoDefence, but it didn't have much replay for me. Loved the art style and all that jazz, so i'll probably get the new one.

I'm playing through it now. It's funny, the first 5 or 6 levels are no problem, then you get to the next level and it just FUCKS YOUR poo poo UP. It's like getting the last wave of the previous level as the very first wave.

edit: The original GeoDefense, that is.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Is there a weather app that shows you what's going on with live tiles? (Yes, I do work in a windowless room and would like to know what's going on outside)

General E
Aug 25, 2003

IcedPee posted:

Is there a weather app that shows you what's going on with live tiles? (Yes, I do work in a windowless room and would like to know what's going on outside)

WeatherLive does this -- the fastest you can set it to update, I believe, is every hour, but it shows you a nice big picture of the conditions (sunny, rainy, etc) as well as some other info (current temp, hi/lo for the day, time of last refresh) that you can configure. I'm a big fan of WeatherLive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/1398edb0-b896-463a-9fb7-c4729fdf3890

Stormglass has good live tiles, but the rest of the app is kind of lacking.

• Locked thread