Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm still waiting for some other stuff to come in (forms on a pittiful amount of company stock) but after putting in my W-2 information, the tax service I'm using says I'm going to owe $436. Why?
I've got 2 allowances on my W-4: 1 for no one claiming me as a dependent and 1 for being single with a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm still waiting for some other stuff to come in (forms on a pittiful amount of company stock) but after putting in my W-2 information, the tax service I'm using says I'm going to owe $436. Why?
why not?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd expect the government to take the proper amount of money out of my paycheck if I'm giving them the correct information on my W-4.

E: I just used the witholding calculator on the IRS website and it estimated I'd get $200 back. What the gently caress is this?

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 27, 2012

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Pope Mobile posted:

I'd expect the government to take the proper amount of money out of my paycheck if I'm giving them the correct information on my W-4.

Down with ADP

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

scribe jones posted:

why not?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

LorneReams posted:

Down with ADP
#occupypaychex

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Pope Mobile posted:

I've got 2 allowances on my W-4: 1 for no one claiming me as a dependent and 1 for being single with a job.

Not sure why the other guys are razzing you over this, but you should be pretty close to break even unless you have other sources of income. Seems like you are getting a different answer from another source so it is probably best to just wait until you have everything in front of you and do it all at once.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Not sure why the other guys are razzing you over this, but you should be pretty close to break even

Well, as far as I am concerned, owing $400 is pretty close to break even.

:razz:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I have a question about an IRA. When my wife changed employers in 2010, we rolled her 401k into an IRA. So this year, I have a form 1099-r that says has a taxable amount on it, and the distribution code is 1, which says early disbursement. This amount is the interest earned on her IRA this year. I thought the point of an IRA was you didn't pay taxes on the money it earned until you withdrew it post-retirement? To be clear, we did not withdraw anything from the IRA. We have received zero dollars from it.

This isn't a huge amount, but it still seems like an error to me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do I have to pay taxes on cash back I receive from credit cards? If so, should I expect 1099s from them?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

Do I have to pay taxes on cash back I receive from credit cards? If so, should I expect 1099s from them?
the IRS decided they didn't want to hound people about their cash back, FF miles, etc, so they don't make companies send 1099s for them. you should be fine leaving it off.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

the IRS decided they didn't want to hound people about their cash back, FF miles, etc, so they don't make companies send 1099s for them. you should be fine leaving it off.

Not only that, they specifically declared that credit card rewards are not income.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

furushotakeru posted:

Not only that, they specifically declared that credit card rewards are not income.
oh yeah? I saw the announcement about FF miles but I didn't know they'd made up their minds about straight up cash rewards. was this a PLR?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

oh yeah? I saw the announcement about FF miles but I didn't know they'd made up their minds about straight up cash rewards. was this a PLR?

Actually looks like I was mistaken, sorry. It seems the general consensus is that they are not included in gross income but are instead treated as a cash rebate, meaning that they reduce basis in whatever was purchased to generate the reward.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Well, I got a little overeager with filing my return this year and filed with H&R Block (the free version) and forgot to report proceeds from selling my stock (put $1020 into an ESPP, cashed out at $1560, value of stocks at purchase was $1500). If my math is right-ish I owe something on the order of ~$125 between extra income tax and capital gains tax. How much of a hassle is filing an amended return if I e-filed?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have a question about the American Opportunity tax credit. The definition from the IRS website is

"It is a tax credit of up to $2,500 of the cost of tuition, fees and course materials paid during the taxable year. Also, 40% of the credit (up to $1,000) is refundable. This means you can get it even if you owe no tax."

I only took one credit hour to finish my degree last year so I could only write off about $300. I did have a study abroad, however, and wondered if I could write that off. I am thinking I can only write off the portion of the cost that was towards tuition, but the cost of the program included tuition and I am yet to receive a 1098-t form showing that I paid anything to the university for the 3 credit hours I took over seas. Would any of the money I paid for my study abroad be applicable for this credit? Also, if I do not receive a 1098-t from the university (it is through a different university than the one I graduated from) can I just include what it would normally cost for the amount of credit hours I took over seas?

catman
Jul 23, 2006

loudog999 posted:

I have a question about the American Opportunity tax credit. The definition from the IRS website is

"It is a tax credit of up to $2,500 of the cost of tuition, fees and course materials paid during the taxable year. Also, 40% of the credit (up to $1,000) is refundable. This means you can get it even if you owe no tax."

I only took one credit hour to finish my degree last year so I could only write off about $300. I did have a study abroad, however, and wondered if I could write that off. I am thinking I can only write off the portion of the cost that was towards tuition, but the cost of the program included tuition and I am yet to receive a 1098-t form showing that I paid anything to the university for the 3 credit hours I took over seas. Would any of the money I paid for my study abroad be applicable for this credit? Also, if I do not receive a 1098-t from the university (it is through a different university than the one I graduated from) can I just include what it would normally cost for the amount of credit hours I took over seas?

You need to be considered a full-time student ("enrolled at least half-time") to qualify for the American Opportunity Credit. Perhaps you should look at the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees deduction. Your educational institution will indicate if you are at least a half-time student on your 1098-T but if you only took one course that might not be the case.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

catman posted:

You need to be considered a full-time student ("enrolled at least half-time") to qualify for the American Opportunity Credit. Perhaps you should look at the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees deduction. Your educational institution will indicate if you are at least a half-time student on your 1098-T but if you only took one course that might not be the case.

On the 1098-T that I received the box for at least half time is checked, I had a full course load the previous semester.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm a college student listed as a dependent. I got a software development internship at a small start up this summer and was hired on as an independent contractor. I ended up getting credit during fall quarter for my internship/co-op.

Since it's tax season, they requested a w-9 form which I turned in. I ended up having to fill out a 1040 Schedule C form. I had no idea how to file for income or expenses. I earned around $5100 from July - December from the internship and they provided me with all of the tools (computers, software .etc). I think the only cost expense I used was driving to work. I got lost in all of the paperwork so I ended up googling the same situation I was in. (Dependent College Student Intern Independent Contractor, How to file 1040)

This is where the problem comes up. Reading up on how to file as a independent contractor, i found that interns aren't eligible, and are considered employees. What do I do? And if I went to fill out a form, is a 1040 Schedule C form enough?

edit: I'm not trying to get my employer in trouble, since getting a letter of rec is nice. But what's the risk of an audit and do I get in trouble also?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
My girlfriend lived with me for most of 2011 and I was hoping to use her as a dependent on my tax returns. I pay for her food, shelter, etc. She made about $5500+ and is considered disabled (On Medicare, Medicaid, gets Social Security etc) but when I try to claim her on my taxes it will not allow me. Did she make too much money to be cosnidered dependent? She turned 21 last year as well.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Alexander Nevermind posted:

My girlfriend lived with me for most of 2011 and I was hoping to use her as a dependent on my tax returns. I pay for her food, shelter, etc. She made about $5500+ and is considered disabled (On Medicare, Medicaid, gets Social Security etc) but when I try to claim her on my taxes it will not allow me. Did she make too much money to be cosnidered dependent? She turned 21 last year as well.

Yes, but also an unrelated person must live with you the entire year in order to be your dependent.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

furushotakeru posted:

Yes, but also an unrelated person must live with you the entire year in order to be your dependent.

I gotcha. But even if she lives with me the entire year, if she makes more than 3750 (I think it is) I can't claim her correct?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Alexander Nevermind posted:

I gotcha. But even if she lives with me the entire year, if she makes more than 3750 (I think it is) I can't claim her correct?

Yes

PickledFetus
Aug 6, 2001
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I bought a house in late 2010 and I've been renting one of the bedrooms to my wife's cousin for all of 2011. If I understand correctly, I have to have been charging him a "fair rental price" in order to deduct my rental expenses (ie, mortgage interest, utilities, etc) against the rental income I received from him. Is that correct?

I've been charging him $350/mo for a small-ish bedroom in the basement of an older 3 bedroom house. Similar rentals on craigslist are anywhere from $375 to $600 depending on the size and quality, so I'm definitely on the low end but still in the same ballpark. Is this too big of a stretch, especially considering he's family? If so, what does that mean - do I still claim the income but can't claim any deductions against it? Do I claim the income in the same section in TurboTax (ie, rental income) or is it considered something else?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

furushotakeru posted:

Actually looks like I was mistaken, sorry. It seems the general consensus is that they are not included in gross income but are instead treated as a cash rebate, meaning that they reduce basis in whatever was purchased to generate the reward.

That is my understanding as well.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sorry I'm slow, so the rebates don't need to be included in my taxable income?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

PickledFetus posted:

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I bought a house in late 2010 and I've been renting one of the bedrooms to my wife's cousin for all of 2011. If I understand correctly, I have to have been charging him a "fair rental price" in order to deduct my rental expenses (ie, mortgage interest, utilities, etc) against the rental income I received from him. Is that correct?

I've been charging him $350/mo for a small-ish bedroom in the basement of an older 3 bedroom house. Similar rentals on craigslist are anywhere from $375 to $600 depending on the size and quality, so I'm definitely on the low end but still in the same ballpark. Is this too big of a stretch, especially considering he's family? If so, what does that mean - do I still claim the income but can't claim any deductions against it? Do I claim the income in the same section in TurboTax (ie, rental income) or is it considered something else?

You are fine on the rental rate. Report the income and a pro-rated portion of expenses

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Sorry I'm slow, so the rebates don't need to be included in my taxable income?

No.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm a college student listed as a dependent. I got a software development internship at a small start up this summer and was hired on as an independent contractor. I ended up getting credit during fall quarter for my internship/co-op.

Since it's tax season, they requested a w-9 form which I turned in. I ended up having to fill out a 1040 Schedule C form. I had no idea how to file for income or expenses. I earned around $5100 from July - December from the internship and they provided me with all of the tools (computers, software .etc). I think the only cost expense I used was driving to work. I got lost in all of the paperwork so I ended up googling the same situation I was in. (Dependent College Student Intern Independent Contractor, How to file 1040)

This is where the problem comes up. Reading up on how to file as a independent contractor, i found that interns aren't eligible, and are considered employees. What do I do? And if I went to fill out a form, is a 1040 Schedule C form enough?

edit: I'm not trying to get my employer in trouble, since getting a letter of rec is nice. But what's the risk of an audit and do I get in trouble also?

I agree, we treat all of our interns as employees. You can either talk to your employer and ask them to fix the situation, or go ahead and report your earnings on schedule C.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Are brokerages required to send out a form detailing Equity Option transactions? Basically the equivalent to a 1099-B, which does not report option trades.

If not, basically I would need to pull up monthly brokerage statements and put all the options trades in 1 by 1?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kaishek posted:

First question: That is not even remotely how that works. You don't get a refund, dollar for dollar, of student loan interest paid - if you pay $500 in interest, the government does not cut you a check for $500. Student loan interest is deductible from your income as an above-the-line deduction. So the credit you get will be amount of student loan interest paid times your tax rate (i.e., if you paid $100 in interest and are taxed at 15%, then you'll save 15$ in taxes by excluding $100 from your income).

Thanks for the explanation. That makes much more sense.

Does anyone have any answers for my 2 state return? I moved in August from Iowa to Nebraska and continued to work in Iowa. Nebraska only uses the federal W-4, which I updated to reflect my Nebraska address. I continued to have federal and Iowa withholding deducted from paychecks but have nothing on my W-2 for NE withholding. TurboTax seems to think I'm square with NE while getting a smallish refund from IA. Does that sound right?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

NancyPants posted:

Thanks for the explanation. That makes much more sense.

Does anyone have any answers for my 2 state return? I moved in August from Iowa to Nebraska and continued to work in Iowa. Nebraska only uses the federal W-4, which I updated to reflect my Nebraska address. I continued to have federal and Iowa withholding deducted from paychecks but have nothing on my W-2 for NE withholding. TurboTax seems to think I'm square with NE while getting a smallish refund from IA. Does that sound right?

My earlier reply seemed brusque - sorry if I came across as short. For question 2, I am definitely not a tax professional, but what I googled says:

the great state of Nebraska posted:

Partial-year residents of Nebraska who have income derived from or connected with Nebraska sources must file a Form 1040N and Nebraska Schedule III.
Partial-year residents are subject to Nebraska income tax on income included in federal AGI derived from or connected with Nebraska sources, while either a resident or nonresident of Nebraska.

This seems to indicate that because your income was not from "Nebraska derived from or connected with Nebraska sources", it is exempt from Nebraska state income tax - thus your tax software is correct.

For IA, you'd likely get a small refund because you were a non-resident for part of the year and you get a tax credit for the time you lived out-of-state per form 2011 IA 126 ("Iowa Nonresident and Part-year Resident Credit").

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
I'd be a lot more helpful if my clues button weren't broken.
I bought a new car this year for the first time ever. Is the cost of new car registration deductible just like the annual fee? Filing in Iowa FYI.

Reginald
Sep 20, 2004

Carl Winslow
I had an assistantship for my last semester as a full-time graduate student in the spring, which paid for my tuition and most fees, but I still took out a loan and have $4900 in the "Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses" on the 1098-T.

I did not expect this to show up because I was not paying tuition. Am I correct that I can only claim, for the lifetime learner credit, the portion of the $4900 that was used for education fees that did not get covered by my assistantship? The loan was mostly used for living expenses.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

Reginald posted:

I had an assistantship for my last semester as a full-time graduate student in the spring, which paid for my tuition and most fees, but I still took out a loan and have $4900 in the "Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses" on the 1098-T.

I did not expect this to show up because I was not paying tuition. Am I correct that I can only claim, for the lifetime learner credit, the portion of the $4900 that was used for education fees that did not get covered by my assistantship? The loan was mostly used for living expenses.

Amounts that do not reduce qualified education expenses. Do not reduce qualified education expenses by amounts paid with funds the student receives as:

-Payment for services, such as wages,

-A loan,

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch03.html#en_US_2010_publink1000178168

I think you're good in claiming the whole $4900.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

PIPBoy 2000 posted:

I bought a new car this year for the first time ever. Is the cost of new car registration deductible just like the annual fee? Filing in Iowa FYI.

As long as it is based on the value of the car, yes.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Nifty posted:

Are brokerages required to send out a form detailing Equity Option transactions? Basically the equivalent to a 1099-B, which does not report option trades.

If not, basically I would need to pull up monthly brokerage statements and put all the options trades in 1 by 1?

No they do not report it to the IRS, but an annual summary or gain/loss report is typically provided on the 1099 under "information not reported to the IRS".

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Stupid question, coming in hot!

My W-4 info has me down for 2 exemptions (1 for me, 1 for single + one job). However, I really don't see how I can put both down on the 1040 (line 6d). Or are they unrelated? That would logically make sense based on the math on the form, I just need confirmation before I look any dumber.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Stupid question, coming in hot!

My W-4 info has me down for 2 exemptions (1 for me, 1 for single + one job). However, I really don't see how I can put both down on the 1040 (line 6d). Or are they unrelated? That would logically make sense based on the math on the form, I just need confirmation before I look any dumber.

The two figures are unrelated. You can only claim one exemption on your tax return for each person on the return. If it is just you filing (no spouse or dependents) then 1 is the correct amount to claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004
I'm using H&R Block's online tax software and I'm trying to report my stock losses for the year, which as I understand it goes on Schedule D. Unfortunately I can't find that form listed anywhere. I'm using the basic free edition and I think I might need the Deluxe edition for that, but I can't figure out how to upgrade or ask a simple question without having to pay for it. Anyone know what's up?