Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Man I sure must be a loving alien in this thread, considering I have 3 android phones and an android tablet, none of which have ever had a rom outside of stock on them.

I sure wish there were an operating system out there that I didn't have to install a fan made custom rom on... oh wait there is! It's called STOCK ANDROID that millions of people run (including myself) without loving with their androids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

If one of your considerations for a purchase is "how I'll fix this", then maybe you need reassess what you're about to buy.

Why? people buy up cheap bikes or cars to fix up all other sorts of things, if it's a good deal (even after factoring in time spent) and does what you need it to then what exactly is the problem?

Also did you even read those posts? none of them said that lovely tablets are great tablets when rooted, they just said they are good value for the price if all your looking for is a reader(which, in case my post was the one you didn't read was what I claimed people were saying), hell one of them even advised against buying one so I don't have any clue why you put that quote up there.

My Linux Rig posted:

If anyone really considers following a set of instructions to root/flash poo poo a hobby, then that is just down right sad.

Nobody has called it a hobby, I don't like the procedure bit, but I do like tailoring it to my needs, I still wouldn't call it a hobby.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

Nobody has called it a hobby, I don't like the procedure bit, but I do like tailoring it to my needs, I still wouldn't call it a hobby.

What is it if not a hobby? Joyless self-indulgence?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boy you sure schooled us.

Now gently caress off again.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Why? people buy up cheap bikes or cars to fix up all other sorts of things, if it's a good deal (even after factoring in time spent) and does what you need it to then what exactly is the problem?
this analogy doesn't work. People don't buy old POS cars to fix them up so they have a fully working POS car in the end. They buy cars to restore them to former glory. Same with bikes. People don't waste their time loving with stuff that was poo poo in the first place. They repair quality to bring it back to quality.

quote:

Also did you even read those posts? none of them said that lovely tablets are great tablets when rooted, they just said they are good value for the price if all your looking for is a reader(which, in case my post was the one you didn't read was what I claimed people were saying), hell one of them even advised against buying one so I don't have any clue why you put that quote up there.
if all you want is a reader? Why would you get anything aside from eInk for reading? And even if not, why would you need to root something like a Nook Color or Kindle Fire to make it an adequate reading device? That's a main function out of the box.

quote:

Multiple people have said it's something they do in their spare time for fun.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

El Duke posted:

this analogy doesn't work. People don't buy old POS cars to fix them up so they have a fully working POS car in the end. They buy cars to restore them to former glory. Same with bikes. People don't waste their time loving with stuff that was poo poo in the first place. They repair quality to bring it back to quality.

Actually if you think about it, Android rooting is more akin to gluing gears to a car/bike to make it steampunk.

vvv Why would you need a colour, non eink display to read a book? To see the cover?

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 29, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you read things with color, e-ink isn't going to cut it. If you already buy something like a Nook Color for reading and want a little extra functionality, like the full Android market, then you can root it and flash CM7. Instead of springing for a more expensive tablet, you can get one that's a good reader and mod it into a mediocre (but good for the price) tablet.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Ciabatta posted:

If you read things with color, e-ink isn't going to cut it.
like children's books or some textbooks? I guess, though I don't think textbooks in digital form are viable yet (until iBooks 2 gets in full swing, I guess), and don't you lose the enhanced children's books on the Nook when you root?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Duke posted:

like children's books or some textbooks? I guess, though I don't think textbooks in digital form are viable yet (until iBooks 2 gets in full swing, I guess), and don't you lose the enhanced children's books on the Nook when you root?

Me personally, research articles, things with diagrams and full color pictures. It sounds like many people in this thread want a tablet for comics. While 7" doesn't sound great for that, it may not be worth it to someone to spend $300+ on a real tablet to get a glorified binder of comics.

I didn't think I would use a tablet much, but got sick of printing dozens of pages of science articles a week to read once and file away. Nook Color for $150 was perfect, I rooted it primarily to get the full market, and ended up using it enough to justify getting another tablet (a Touchpad :v: ). It also got me to transition to ebooks entirely. I'm not bothered by reading on a low brightness screen and the convenience of ebooks is nice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I'd point the Apple supporters here to this article on MacStories that points out that the iOS stock system, specifically the launcher, is far from perfect.

Stock, non-rooted Android really isn't tweaky. You have desktop Widgets, sure, but iOS is destined to get them eventually as the article points out. That's not really tweaking, it's just personality, no different than having your own background picture in System 4.

I have no love for tweaking, what I do have a love for is interfaces, and Android's interface is more in keeping with the computing world that I'm used to. I like file pickers. I don't mind choice in .PDF readers, etc. The long-press contextual menu is analogous to right clicking, where as a four year user of OS X I find little similarity in iOS' weird “slide to reveal the hidden button" design.

Apple is designing tablets as appliances, most Android manufacturers with the large exception of Amazon are designing a new mobile computing platform.

I have a Nexus One and a Cr-48, and I like them both but I don't think Google wants to get into manufacturing. They have a very contentious history with the Chinese government that could make it difficult to enter the world's largest manufacturing cluster, for one thing. Ultimately they'd do better to simply lend a direct hand in supporting Motorola's devices.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad 2 while having a higher-resolution screen and costing less. It worked great out of the box and was easy to set up. Within minutes the Android apps I had already purchased, and my email, calendar, and contacts, were all synced and ready to use. My apps automatically adapted to the tablet form factor, without ugly blurry zooming or the need to purchase special tablet versions. I did not root or modify it in any way, nor did I read anything on XDA.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'd point the Apple supporters here to this article on MacStories that points out that the iOS stock system, specifically the launcher, is far from perfect.

All that's saying is someone's opinion on how the home screen started as one thing and is now another. Nitpicking about what pictures the icons have? I mean, come on. It's not commenting on its usability, stability or anything else, it's about the theoretical concept of "badges on a table."

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 29, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Apple is designing tablets as appliances, most Android manufacturers with the large exception of Amazon are designing a new mobile computing platform.

And what a success it's been so far.

People want appliances because that's the appeal of a tablet in the first place.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

got dat wmd posted:

All that's saying is someone's opinion on how the home screen started as one thing and is now another. Nitpicking about what pictures the icons have? I mean, come on. It's not commenting on its usability, stability or anything else, it's about the theoretical concept of "badges on a table."

I'm just saying there's a lot that I find unintuitive about iOS launching and control. The hidden music player controls in the multitasking window is one of them. The weird "swipe for action" mechanic for things like revealing the delete button in Mail (and this is the BEST use of this gesture, apps like InstaCast go crazy with it) aren't very obvious at first glance, either.

All of this would probably be forgiven in Android, since it's never been praised for it's UI, so stuff like media player controls shoehorned into the weirdest places would be understood simply as part of the deal. Coming from a company with almost 30 years of brilliant UI design it's a little startling.

Toady posted:

And what a success it's been so far.

People want appliances because that's the appeal of a tablet in the first place.
Yes? I'm not sure what the point of that post was?

I already acknowledged I'm not in the majority. I wasn't claiming Android tablets deserve mainstream dominance, I was actually carving myself out into a niche where the product works well for me.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I want to be able to access my external hard drive (connected to a Western Digital Media Live player) over the network on my Android tablet. I'm able to access the external on my PC over the network wirelessly as it is mapped as my Y:. Is there a way to do this on the tablet? I've downloaded Astro File Manager and am playing with that. It seems it may be possible but I'm not sure what SMB is

edit: Nevermind. ES File Manager was exactly what I was looking for

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 29, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

I have a Nexus One and a Cr-48, and I like them both but I don't think Google wants to get into manufacturing. They have a very contentious history with the Chinese government that could make it difficult to enter the world's largest manufacturing cluster, for one thing. Ultimately they'd do better to simply lend a direct hand in supporting Motorola's devices.
What's "contentious" about google dutifully following every censorship order the Chinese government gives them?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BIZORT posted:

I want to be able to access my external hard drive (connected to a Western Digital Media Live player) over the network on my Android tablet. I'm able to access the external on my PC over the network wirelessly as it is mapped as my Y:. Is there a way to do this on the tablet? I've downloaded Astro File Manager and am playing with that. It seems it may be possible but I'm not sure what SMB is

edit: Nevermind. ES File Manager was exactly what I was looking for

You're also able to act as a samba host (SMB) if you were to root, with the app "Samba Filesharing"

Your SD card becomes mappable as a network device. Useful if you don't want to use another protocol like BT transfer, FTP, dropbox proxy, or direct USB connection.

Splashtop HD is pretty rad too, in the sense that if I'm watching a movie or something, I can remote in and mirror on the tablet. So say I go to cook something downstairs but take the tab, I can leave the room but still be watching whatever simultaneously with the HTPC viewers. With a cable card tuner it also becomes a little portable 720p TV Considering cablevision won't get off their asses and allow live viewing on their android app this is a really good workaround. I'll bet anything the quality of whatever stream you get in that app will be worse then the cablecard + splashtop combo.

Splashtop THD will run at 60fps vs the 30fps of HD so I'm dying to try out a little portal from across the house. Totally unnecessary but why not?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rastor posted:

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime.
Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

El Duke posted:

Actually a lot of people do, I'm not talking about car enthusiasts or bike enthusiasts here some people can't afford high end stuff so buying something that's broke and fixing it up so that it is passable.

But forget about the analogy for the moment and just answer this: why is it a waste of time if you can get it to the standard you need, for a price you can afford? Just stating that "if the product needs fixing it aint worth buying" isn't an argument". It needing fixing is a valid criticism of the product but it isn't an automatic trump, and for many people it doesn't outweigh the advantage that it's a poo poo load cheaper than an iPad or whatever.

If someone is advised that fixing up a nook can make it into a mediocre tablet how is that bad advice? If they don't have the time they won't do it, and frankly a lot of you are overestimating how much time it takes to put the latest cyanogen mod on a Noook. I'm not advocating this for people who can afford iPad's or primes or whatever.

El Duke posted:

if all you want is a reader? Why would you get anything aside from eInk for reading? And even if not, why would you need to root something like a Nook Color or Kindle Fire to make it an adequate reading device? That's a main function out of the box.

To the first question, browsing, pdf reading other stuff on the tablet, to the second question, I never claimed that the reason you needed to root and fix the tablet was to make it a reader, simply to make a lovely tablet into a more fully functional one. Some of the posts quoted above did say stuff along those lines but I wasn't agreeing with them, simply arguing that they weren't advising you turn a tablet into an iPad from a Nook Colour or whatever

El Duke posted:

Multiple people have said it's something they do in their spare time for fun.

I remember people saying they enjoy it when they do it, I don't recall them using a phrase like the above, if that's the case then I retract my statement, but not everyone was calling it a hobby, the fact that someone enjoys something doesn't make it a hobby.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

fondue posted:

Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

To me, a device with only half the advertised battery life isn't really "working right out the box", but to each their own.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I assumed he meant that it now had greater than advertised battery life.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
No issues with battery life here, 7-8 on the tablet, +5-6 with the dock as advertised. Add 60-70% (another 5-6) to that if I tone down everything (eco CPU scaling, 50-70 nits of brightness, gyro off, background sync off).

Having a laptop with 12-13 hours of battery life is a nice change from a netbook or laptop. Not to mention being fanless, and any heat generated is all in the top of the device vs the bottom half like everything else.

Between this and the weight, (2lbs in netbook form) I'm incredibly happy. You really can't feel anything when it's in a backpack which is a welcome change from my macbook, or the thinkpad before it.

Just the weight of the tablet alone is really nice too (1lb). if you've held the ipad 2, it's a bit thinner and lighter then that to give you a sense of it. It's made me want a new phone with that profile actually. My current phone is 12mm, the prime is 8mm. ideal would be 6mm..

edit: the only thing I miss from the macbook is being able to run final cut, but I rarely edit on the road. I'm thinking of selling this thing after a month with the ATP. I wouldn't recommend this if you're doing heavy heavy office suite work or need to run anything legacy for work.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 29, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

:words:

Buying a cheap tablet and hoping for a way to fix it through some hacky bullshit is bad advice because it won't make it better and you'll just spend your time wishing you got a better tablet, which is eventually going to convince you to buy another one.

You could just save up a little extra money and buy a tablet you'll keep instead of throwing away money on a cheap tablet you're going to obsess over for a month and throw away anyway.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Jesus christ, we need another thread for you idiots to have your iPad vs. Android dick measuring contest. Can we please, please, please have a thread about Android tablets without the YOSPOS trolling?

Mods? Anyone there?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Two words:

Button

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As much as some of the arguments presented doesn't make sense, to omit all comparison to non-Android platforms basically turns this entire thread into "Wheeeee, my Prime is shipping!" and "Got my Prime, fellas!" posts. This is boring, though sadly somewhat necessary since there's presently one tablet model that is running newer hardware than the other models, so it's almost all we ever talk about.

Is this forum simply not capable of maturely acknowledging the existence of competing platforms?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

If someone is advised that fixing up a nook can make it into a mediocre tablet how is that bad advice? If they don't have the time they won't do it, and frankly a lot of you are overestimating how much time it takes to put the latest cyanogen mod on a Noook. I'm not advocating this for people who can afford iPad's or primes or whatever.

People who can't afford iPads or Primes probably also don't have a tablet already or are new to tablets, so recommending to hack an ebook reader into tablet is a dual concern. For one you won't be able to get support for it since it voids the warranty, so someone who buys an ebook reader and hacks it into a tablet because they could only afford it and screws up the process is now out of luck with a defective device they could barely afford (I say barely because not being able to afford ~$300 for a used device versus a $99 ebook reader is student/poverty ratio of income for toys most likely).

So in that case, it's rather poor advice.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Two words:

Button

Do you really think there haven't been reports? YOSPOS has always had a soft spot in the mods hearts, I think.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Craptacular! posted:

As much as some of the arguments presented doesn't make sense, to omit all comparison to non-Android platforms basically turns this entire thread into "Wheeeee, my Prime is shipping!" and "Got my Prime, fellas!" posts. This is boring, though sadly somewhat necessary since there's presently one tablet model that is running newer hardware than the other models, so it's almost all we ever talk about.

Is this forum simply not capable of maturely acknowledging the existence of competing platforms?

I would like you to describe to me a plane of reality where it's possible to live a normal life without acknowledging the existence of iOS.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
e: must... resist

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 29, 2012

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, it's great having the iOS fanboys poo poo up the thread and let us stupid Android users know how great it is:

- no form of expandable memory
- no standard HDMI-out
- using 4:3 screen to watch movies
- having home screens that are just app drawers with folders
- no flash when web browsing
- no USB support

iOS is great, and all the things I listed are stupid features that nobody wants. All hail Apple. They know what's best for us.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ModestMuse posted:

Yeah, it's great having the iOS fanboys poo poo up the thread and let us stupid Android users know how great it is:

- no form of expandable memory
- no standard HDMI-out
- using 4:3 screen to watch movies
- having home screens that are just app drawers with folders
- no flash when web browsing
- no USB support

iOS is great, and all the things I listed are stupid features that nobody wants. All hail Apple. They know what's best for us.

Yo, maybe the people who buy ipads legitimately don't care about any of that?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mister Snips posted:

Right, and maybe people who buy non-ipads legitimately do care about some of that. If we all put our fanboyism aside, maybe people buy things that fit their needs and budget, whether that's an iPad or a Transformer. So maybe it's ok if we actually talk about Android tabs in the Android tablet thread instead of constantly having to justify the existence of anything besides the iPad.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mister Snips posted:

I'm probably going to buy an iPad3 for my next tablet based on my dissatisfaction with my ICS tablet and I still think 90% of the iOS posters in this thread are total douchebags and I care about the things on that list.

I want to know what kind of pane of reality where this kind of discussion is considered anything but soul-sapping nonsense.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mister Snips posted:

All things listed are features I use on a daily basis with my Android tablet.

I am not really sure what your point is though. The iPad users saw fit to come to the Android Tablet thread and tell us all the things that are great and wonderful about iPad. So when I list legitimate features that iPad doesn't have, it can just be shrugged off as useless features?

Cool

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ModestMuse posted:

I am not really sure what your point is though. The iPad users saw fit to come to the Android Tablet thread and tell us all the things that are great and wonderful about iPad. So when I list legitimate features that iPad doesn't have, it can just be shrugged off as useless features?

Cool

Eh, when its 15 mil vs 3 mil shipped it's to be expected. Not sure why not using the popular option personally offends some of these fucktards though. God forbid anyone discuss android tablets in the android tablet thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Who gives a poo poo about ipad vs Android, they both have ups and downs.

It is almost February, and mid February is when ICS lands for the original transformer. My only main complaint on this tablet is the web browser (well, and Google docs), so I am very much looking forward to that being fixed.

monkeyspank
Feb 22, 2001

Voila du boudin

ModestMuse posted:

Cool

Even Adobe has ceded the Flash on mobile argument.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet
I really like this thread and the previous thread, and it depresses me when it gets closed because the Apple nuts can't stop being faggots.

Your overpriced, oversized iPod is cool. Just let us chill in this thread, k?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

Eh, when its 15 mil vs 3 mil shipped it's to be expected. Not sure why not using the popular option personally offends some of these fucktards though. God forbid anyone discuss android tablets in the android tablet thread.

It's 15 million SOLD vs. 3 million SHIPPED.