Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EightBit posted:

Well, make an AI Soul. I don't need to tell you what to do even, you're already planning it out.

Unfortunately, Kia Souls are not quite the legos that Honda Civics were made of in the 90s. If they were, I would have snapped one up a long time ago.

Also my massive $4.25/hr pay rate + nearly nonexistent tips doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Admittedly, I really like the Soul. Way more than I should. Except they don't offer a stick on anything except the base 1.6. :argh: I'd rather have the 2.0, sunroof, map lights, and power mirrors... but not quite enough to give up having 3 pedals. And they have a bit more usable room than my late 90s Nissan Altima.

I could have sworn you could get M/T on the 2.0 before 2012.

You could buy a Mazda 5. They come with a 6speed manual.

The two sets of rear seats lay flat so you can move a ton of poo poo in the back.

When we bought ours, it was the only van with sliding doors and a 4cyl made by any manufacturer.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Admittedly, I really like the Soul. Way more than I should. Except they don't offer a stick on anything except the base 1.6. :argh: I'd rather have the 2.0, sunroof, map lights, and power mirrors... but not quite enough to give up having 3 pedals. And they have a bit more usable room than my late 90s Nissan Altima.

I could have sworn you could get M/T on the 2.0 before 2012.

I agree. It's unfortunate really. Kia doesn't offer an M/T on any of the new Optimas IIRC, and they're some of the best looking cars on the market.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

That's crazy. How wide are the tires? Does the car really need discs that big?

Mostly I just hate how huge wheels have gotten in the last few years. :arghfist::corsair:

The tires are only 225mm wide, but the car has Brembo brakes.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do you have upgraded brakes? I read that the 16" Pontiac G5 5-spoke steel wheels will fit on a SS/SC (although I know you have the SC/TC). My pops works for a company that delivers OEM car parts to body shops and mechanic shops so I can probably get a discount on some for my winter tires.

Stock Brembo brakes. I guess technically I can go 17", but finding a 17" wheel in an offset that will fit over the calipers is really difficult.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 28, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Caused my parent's Accord to eat it's accessory belt, somehow, definitely something I didn't want to deal with at 4am on a saturday with two friends in tow. I borrowed it for two weeks while my car was in the shop, ended up driving it back all 50 miles on a AAA flatbed as the sun rose. Complete bullshit for a 3 year old Honda with only 57k. Never had a car totally die on me like that. I think it was the alternator seizing, I had some issues with weak starts and the battery ran down completely a few days prior for no reason.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They made a four-door version and you can could get it in one of the boring shades of blue. You just know that was their intention from the start.

Blue isn't boring. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

I agree. It's unfortunate really. Kia doesn't offer an M/T on any of the new Optimas IIRC, and they're some of the best looking cars on the market.

It's a drat shame, I love the Optima but not enough to give up the stick.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had a CV joint clicking for about 6 weeks, along with an occasional odd grinding noise when coming to a stop (but not brakes) that I haven't been able to figure out. I figured I had at least another couple of weeks, since it was only clicking if I stomped the gas through a turn. The grinding has been bugging me, but I pulled the front brakes apart a few days ago and couldn't figure out WTF. The CV boot has been torn for awhile.

Turns out the grinding was the CV joint self-destructing. Started to pull away from a stop tonight and the whole loving car was vibrating in a way that only metal on metal can do. It was like a combination of every wheel bearing making GBS threads itself while all 4 brakes were down to metal, with an added POP POP POP POP POP POP every few feet. Pulled into a parking lot and looked at the outer CV joint on the LF wheel - chunks of metal were stuck in the little bit of grease that was still there.

So loving glad I have AAA and an awesome boss. Boss picked me up and drove me to my last delivery, then back to the store to clock out and collect my tips. Shift manager drove me back to my car while I called AAA.

It still moves under its own power, but oh god the noises coming from the LF are horrible. The last time I had a car make those noises, the CV joint snapped about 30 seconds later. At least I can move it around the parking lot under its own power until I can find a ride AutoZone, and my boss offered to bring his tools up here on Monday to help me swap the axle in the parking lot.

NOTinuyasha posted:

ended up driving it back all 50 miles on a AAA flatbed as the sun rose

Sup expensive-tow-covered-by-AAA buddy? 40 miles in my case. I asked the driver how much the tow would have been had AAA not covered it - $250-$275. :aaaaa: He left with a bit of cash in his pocket as well, he had me cracking up the entire way.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Rolled over to 300,000 miles on the car since purchased in 2003 with 61,700.
That is 26,477.778 miles per year. 3 jobs and 9 years of commuting to work for each one of them... :smith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Blue isn't boring. :colbert:
I guess it's more of a gunmetal.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Hmm something went south yesterday. My truck isn't charging at the correct voltage, my lift pump relay is intermittent and my boost pressure is lagging...

Time to break out the meter.. it's probing time!!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
had it tuned after an uppipe, downpipe, air filter/box, plugs, new fuel pump, and new EBC install.

245whp with a 200k old turbo in it. not bad for the rusty old girl :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hunh. Isn't that the place in Acton somewhere? I think a shop mechanic of theirs had an R33 GTR.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh. Isn't that the place in Acton somewhere? I think a shop mechanic of theirs had an R33 GTR.

Yeah. Their dyno is in Ayer, where I was tuned by Brentuning. There was an R35 GTR there being tuned with a full exhaust that sounded demonic when I pulled in. 620whp. Was a little emasculating pulling my old Subie in after that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sockington posted:

You could buy a Mazda 5. They come with a 6speed manual.

The two sets of rear seats lay flat so you can move a ton of poo poo in the back.

When we bought ours, it was the only van with sliding doors and a 4cyl made by any manufacturer.

What about the Honda Odyssey?

oh snap they haven't made an I4 since '98 drat I feel old.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 30, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Dropped her off at the garage for head-gasket and timing-belt+water pump. I am car-less for the next 4 days. Booo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Chain slap on startup on my VQ30DE is getting worse. I don't want to fix it and it goes away after 3 minutes of idling. If it has to be done it has to be done though. :smith:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ratbert90 posted:

Chain slap on startup on my VQ30DE is getting worse. I don't want to fix it and it goes away after 3 minutes of idling. If it has to be done it has to be done though. :smith:

That's a wet-chain setup, right? Think of all the bits its putting in your oil during those 3 mins each time... :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's still sitting broken. Walked about 4 miles total to get a new axle from AutoZone (shush, Napa is 4 miles each way). The 2 miles to get there were downhill and cake, beautiful day and all that. Walking 2 miles back with an axle over my shoulder sucked rear end.

Thought about taking the bus back, then checked the schedule and found there wouldn't be another one for nearly an hour, so.. the exercise won't hurt me anyway.

Instead of trying to get my tools up here without a car (45 miles each way), I put up an ad on Craigslist for someone to swap it for me. Got an offer for $80 in labor and that's for them to come to me and do the work here. gently caress it, I'll gladly pay that if it means I don't have to spend a couple of days tracking down tools.

Reman axle was $55. With a $76 core. :wtf: The ABS version had a $35 core, now I'm kicking myself because it's the exact same axle except for the ABS ring - the broken axle is an ABS version (non-ABS car), so I know it would fit.

ratbert90 posted:

Ew, I thought the 2-3 seconds of slap on a cold start on my KA24DE was bad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ew, I thought the 2-3 seconds of slap on a cold start on my KA24DE was bad.

Cold start... In the southern U.S.

You should hear the noises a 220,000mile KA24DE makes at -25*C.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

By "cold start" I mean sitting overnight. :v:

It rattles the same if it's 100F or 0F if it's been sitting overnight, just turns over a bit slower when it's 0F. But I know why, the lower timing chain tensioner is either clogged with sludge or the oil passage to it is clogged with sludge.

Though I only have 160k.

edit: welp school wouldn't let me work on it here. But a search on Yelp surprised me - one of the guys at the shop I used for 13 years (son in law of the owner) moved up here and opened his own shop. I limped it over there after class.

#1: Autozone gave me an automatic axle - different splines
#2: Still popping and making horrible noises after he got the right axle installed, just not clicking while turning anymore
#3: He starts trying to figure out wtf is making all that noise. All the bushings look good, found a bad transmission mount that needs to be addressed when I can afford to, but he couldn't find anything wrong under the car.
#4: Finally pulls the hub and finds this:

Welp that's certainly a horrible mechanical failure in the making.

For all of that he only hit me for 2 hours labor even though I was there about 3 hours, and charged me his cost on the new axle and wheel bearing.

Also, what the hell, nobody in Denton had a reman axle for a 98-99 Altima M/T. He wound up getting a brand new one for me. I'm $278 poorer, though I took the Autozone axle back and got my money back on that. $278 for a new wheel bearing, brand new axle, and a few hours of bullshitting and catching up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 31, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gave my car its first wash today. Never owned a black car before. Its going to suck keeping it clean isn't it?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Gave my car its first wash today. Never owned a black car before. Its going to suck keeping it clean isn't it?

Yes, but don't worry - it'll break your will at some point and you'll stop giving a poo poo. :haw:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Thankfully there is a no-touch car-wash right by my house. My pops put away the garden hose and shut off the outside water for the winter so I washed the car at my friend's house. His neighbor has a WRX project car and when he saw us washing our cars (my buddy has a 2006 A4 2.0T) he jumped in the car, drove it to the end of the driveway, revved it, and parked back where it was and went inside.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Super Aggro Crag posted:

On mine, the wing moves the air in a way that makes the trunk lid and top of the rear bumper dirty, while the sides of the car stay relatively clean. Get the Turtle Wax Black Box. You'll like the results.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Replaced my rear shocks today. Probably the easiest mechanical job I've done with my car since I got it. Took out the old ones, though, and not only realized that they were definitely not the original units (unlike the front struts, which were so limp that they were probably hindering ride comfort), but also that they were almost indistinguishable from the new ones in terms of compression and rebound. Well, at least I have spares for some odd reason, and the new ones are nice and shiny... for now.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Attempted to replace the radiator. New alloy sexy radiator doesn't play ball with my automatic transmission cooler which sort of piggy backed the old plastic radiator.

So today I drained and removed my leaky radiator then put it back in and re-filled it.

Um. In short, I spent two hours changing my coolant.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

tobu posted:

Attempted to replace the radiator. New alloy sexy radiator doesn't play ball with my automatic transmission cooler which sort of piggy backed the old plastic radiator.

Been there, I just took a piece of hose and bypassed the trans cooler until I got a cheap aftermarket transcooler to mount. It was junk beater and not my DD so I wasnt to worried about frying the trans.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Changed the serpentine belt. For whatever reason, my 1 year old Gates belt has stretched to the point that the tensioner can't do poo poo anymore. It didn't squeal unless it got wet, and I'd instantly lose power steering/alternator/water pump when it squealed. So basically anytime I hit a puddle... :suicide:

Forgot what a pain in the rear end job that is on my car, though it's a lot easier if you remove the passenger side motor mount and lift the engine a bit.. otherwise it's next to impossible to get the belt around the idler and power steering pump.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Blacked out my chrome grill and badges on my '05 330ci today using Plasti-Dip. Its pretty amazing stuff, 100% idiot proof, totally removable, and looks really good. I was wary about using some 'cheap' spray on stuff on my car but I really can't argue with the results.

Next up are my wheels. :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Funny enough, I pulled the valve covers off and drat near puked. I got the car for free, and as we all know, free is just a term for discount. :v:

The engine was sledged really REALLY badly, so the first thing I did was a cup of sea-foam into the crankcase along with a quart of ATF. I drove it around for 250 miles and then replaced a quart of oil/seafoam with a bottle of engine flush and let it idle for about 15 minutes.

After I changed the oil the Chain slap only appears on a cold startup for about 2 - 3 seconds, a vast improvement. I have however ordered a new tensioner for the drat thing. :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Chinatown posted:

Blacked out my chrome grill and badges on my '05 330ci today using Plasti-Dip. Its pretty amazing stuff, 100% idiot proof, totally removable, and looks really good. I was wary about using some 'cheap' spray on stuff on my car but I really can't argue with the results.

Next up are my wheels. :ohdear:

Did this a few months ago on my E55, still looks great.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Took my NG900 out to get her own gas today..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's not quite what I did TO my ride... but rather what I did FOR it.

I walked out on my pizza delivery job. It's bad enough getting paid $4.25/hour to run my car into the ground. Worse when I don't get the "delivery fee" (they charge $2 for delivery, I get $1 of it, but they tell the customer I get it, which kills my tips). Then when corporate decides to hand out hundreds of thousands of free pizza coupons this week and I wind up getting 0 to 10 cent tips on a fuckload of orders?

I pulled a total Half Baked Scarface moment. Now I'm realizing my clutch might last a few years instead of 1-2 months, despite the fact that it's starting to slip if I downshift in a hurry a few times - I'm now living in a college town where I walk everywhere and might go through a tank of gas every 2 months, down from 3-4 tanks a week while doing delivery.

gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, you're cool, gently caress you, I'm out.

Since going back to that lovely job last fall I've put more money into car repairs and maintenance than what I've brought home.

Tip your pizza guys. :ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I always tip my pizza guys (always, at least $4, even though all three places are literally four blocks away, and I never order more than a single $12 pizza). May I ask what pizza place you work(ed) for, so I can either give extra sympathy tips, or refrain from ordering from in the future? Or, barring that, what vehicle you drove that was eating clutches in one or two months?

Just gauging the field.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

It's not quite what I did TO my ride... but rather what I did FOR it.

I walked out on my pizza delivery job. It's bad enough getting paid $4.25/hour to run my car into the ground. Worse when I don't get the "delivery fee" (they charge $2 for delivery, I get $1 of it, but they tell the customer I get it, which kills my tips). Then when corporate decides to hand out hundreds of thousands of free pizza coupons this week and I wind up getting 0 to 10 cent tips on a fuckload of orders?

I pulled a total Half Baked Scarface moment. Now I'm realizing my clutch might last a few years instead of 1-2 months, despite the fact that it's starting to slip if I downshift in a hurry a few times - I'm now living in a college town where I walk everywhere and might go through a tank of gas every 2 months, down from 3-4 tanks a week while doing delivery.

gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, you're cool, gently caress you, I'm out.

Since going back to that lovely job last fall I've put more money into car repairs and maintenance than what I've brought home.

Tip your pizza guys. :ohdear:

I tip the pizza guy but how is it my problem that they chose a job that pays poo poo and ruins their car at the same time?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

I always tip my pizza guys (always, at least $4, even though all three places are literally four blocks away, and I never order more than a single $12 pizza). May I ask what pizza place you work(ed) for, so I can either give extra sympathy tips, or refrain from ordering from in the future? Or, barring that, what vehicle you drove that was eating clutches in one or two months?

The clutch has unknown miles on it (it was in the car when I got it), but if you so much as look at the pedal funny it starts to slip, so it's pretty much done (also slips if I downshift more than a couple of gears). Car has 160k, got it with 130k in Sept of 2010 and it already chattering at that point, but I got another $500 off of the asking price when I mentioned the clutch (despite them swearing up and down the clutch was brand new). When I did delivery full time I was averaging about 60k per clutch, I've gone 150k+ when I'm not delivering (over 200k on one).

I have a nice tax refund coming though. The car has a broken transmission mount too, I'm planning on setting aside enough from my tax refund to cover both. As little as I drive since moving, I can probably go at least a year before the clutch is totally dead - I'm driving the car about once a week on average.

And it's Papa John's.

To contribute to something besides a tipping debate, just got two used tires for $25/each. They're not new by any means (but have more than 1/2 of the tread left), but one of my tires had belts showing, another wasn't far behind. Slicks + rain = OHGODIMGONNADIE

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

it's Papa John's.

I knew what company you worked for even before you said it. I know, because I am a driver of theirs too (but like you, not for much longer). But uh, where the hell does your manager/employer get off not paying you minimum wage...? It's $7.25 in Texas, which also happens to be the federal minimum anyway. I thought you might be getting a lower hourly wage because of tip credit, but that doesn't make sense either. I think you've been getting robbed, unless there's something else I am unaware of (i.e., you are under 20 years old and haven't worked there more than 90 days).

[edit] Nevermind I am a goddamn moron who can't read tables correctly. I thought Minnesota's wage laws were stupid, but I guess they're still better than Texas and much of the rest of the country. Yeah, ditch that joint.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Waitstaff (and delivery drivers apparently) are paid less than minimum because they are expected to make it up with tips. Sucks when it doesn't happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Indiana where the minimum wage is like $6.25 wait staff makes $2.00 an hour.