Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
This update encourages the :spergin: in all of us and I love it.

My own thoughts on this: Hussie's been pretty clear that he wants to leave things as open-ended and free for for your imagination as possible, so you can go "I wonder what I'd be if I played SBURB...?" He probably is going to stick to just the twelve classes we have now, but he's not going to close off the possibility of there being more. So, if you want to be the Sylph of Heart go ahead, but you could also be the Elf of Spleen. So yeah, now that he's introduced this pairing mechanic he has to know we'll be scrabbling over the story to figure it out, I doubt he'll go "HAH! The pair of Maid is Dude, obviously." We'll probably figure them all out eventually, but here are my guesses:

Thief/Rogue: Obvious

Heir/Prince: As has been said they inherit their power. Heirs tend to be more self-interested and Princes should be more focused on others. John's been the friend-leader, but his powers of breath have, for the most part, been used in more focused, immediate situations. He's a combat class, he uses breath offensively and directly. Dunno what a prince would do with it (Eridan, clearly, failed/subverted his expected role).

Page/Maid: The Knight/Page seems more obvious, but I like this interpretation better. Like UU said the balance between + and - shifts with the classes, so these would probably both be on the + side. But like the other person (sorry forgot your name) already mentioned, a page is more about self growth and adventure, it's the hero's journey, which fits Jake perfectly (plus can you see him in a passive support role?) The only Maid we've really seen so far is Aradia, and she's been using her time powers in a very indirect way, serving as a pyschopomp and aiding the dead (granted she was very active in the fight with the Black King, but even that was a rather indirect method that involved her dying over and over again).

Mage/Seer: This one's a bit more obvious. For one thing "mage" as we know it is not an old usage at all, it's an archaic word revived by D&D. It came from magus/magi and meant the Persian priest caste - those able to divine the future from hidden messages and communicate with gods (the -mancy suffix actual means divination, necromancy was using the remains of the dead to see the future). Still, in our minds mages are much more active, shooting fireballs and whatnot. Seers not so much, they keep to the classic divination theme. We haven't seen much of Sollux's use of his powers to suggest "active" in any real sense, but he... well, he shot lasers from his eyes? Maybe it's just because he never got to finish his growth arc and be realized as God Tier, who knows what he'd do afterwords.

Sylph/Witch: Sylphes (Sylves? Sylphid?) were made up by Paracelsus and have no real mythology behind them, they're invisible spirits of the air to balance out the other three elementals (gnome, salamander, undine/nymph - if you played the Mana games these would sound familiar!) But because of their association to air they got wound up with fairies and "airy spirits," and from there, obviously, to femininity. So Sylph's probably a female-only class. Both are fantastical and deal with a connection to and manipulation of esoteric and supernatural knowledge. Besides, Kanaya has been a support role pretty consistantly (always an auspistice never a matesprit) and Jade's been very proactive and headstrong - making plans, breeding frogs, dealing with gods, saving planets. It'd be interesting to see space in a service role, too.

Knight/Bard: Not as strange as it sounds - they both deal with heroics. Knights make legends and bards tell them. Still not sure how you make rage a support role, and Gamzee's flamboyant aggressiveness seems to go against this, but remember his flipping out was an anomaly and not supposed to happen. Granted that casts Karkat in the support role in order to pap shoosh Gamzee to sanity, and in fact everything about Karkat screams support role. But maybe we have it backwards, knights were supposed to serve after all. And Dave himself said he's no hero, and almost everything he's been doing has been more support-based: making sure the timeline goes properly, that no one fucks up, etc. But all of that was leading towards his own growth arc, and maybe now that he's God Tier he'll be able to become the hero he never thought he could be. Maybe the same was supposed to happen with Karkat (and maybe Gamzee too, he was supposed to learn to be a drat team player). They've said before that the game gives people roles meant to challenge and change them, some more than others it seems.

Aaaanyhoo, that's my page o' sperg to join the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

QueerPope posted:

What if UU is a Carapace person and that's why everything is "of legend"? It was said somewhere that carapace were supposed to remake the planet after it's destroyed and then play the game again, so she could be one of the carapace from one of those worlds. It would also set her in the future and if she just lived on Alternia in the society that was built by SS then she would probably have an Alternian keyboard.

Gray hands, not black or white.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Starmaker posted:

page o' sperg

By far the worst class available.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Gray hands, not black or white.

Could be a new, merged chess piece?

But most likely a troll.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Potsticker posted:

Could be a new, merged chess piece?

If by that you mean, it could be the offspring of a white and black piece, yeah I suppose!!

It'd be an amusing fakeout on Hussie's part.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

i was thinking Ectobilogical offspring.

Tyromancer
Sep 2, 2011

Eglamore looks pretty different.

Starmaker posted:

This update encourages the :spergin: in all of us and I love it.

My own thoughts on this: Hussie's been pretty clear that he wants to leave things as open-ended and free for for your imagination as possible, so you can go "I wonder what I'd be if I played SBURB...?"

At the risk of turning this into fantroll chat, there's a fairly in depth quiz that uses a few online personality tests (Enneagram and Cattell) to map you onto a title.

But anyway, back on topic, my bet is on UU being from the universe eventually to be created by the kids, and is helping to ensure it's created in the first place.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FewtureMD posted:

The thing that gets me is that UU refers to "texts" when discussing Roxy's Void aspect, and combined with what republican posted, is that she has access to a repository of information and writings on the nature of SBURB. How in the hell does a society go about documenting a game that destroys/creates entire universes?

I think it's possible that, after this session is completed, the B1+B2 kids write down everything involved with SBurb, like Prospit, Derse, etc, and what and what not to do (like what to do regarding Jack Noir, the God Tier system, don't be a powergaming dick like the Trolls were) in order to ensure that their new universe, and the ones that come after it, will always have the knowledge and strength to beat the game without getting into a situation like the pre-Scratch Trolls did and have to rely on a Scratch in order to start again, which seems to be the way Lord English manifests himself in a universe. That way, they'll always be able to keep LE out of their universes and the new universe(s) will not be able to do really dumb things like trusting Jack Noir too much or ignoring the Genesis Frog until it's too late.

Later on, after the kids die heroically/just, go somewhere else or do something that no longer makes them active players in their new universe, they're remembered as legends who helped create the new, LE-free universe and gave the new trolls (or whoever the new dominant species inhabiting the new universe will be) a bigass guide to Sburb in order to make sure that they'll be safe from LE and continue creating universes free from his meddling.

quote:

What if UU is a Carapace person and that's why everything is "of legend"? It was said somewhere that carapace were supposed to remake the planet after it's destroyed and then play the game again, so she could be one of the carapace from one of those worlds. It would also set her in the future and if she just lived on Alternia in the society that was built by SS then she would probably have an Alternian keyboard.

I don't think Spades Slick's little gangster paradise would be very conductive for creating someone as nice as UU. :v:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 29, 2012

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned that if UU is being truthful here, the bifurcation theory of ectobiology seems to have taken a fairly major hit. How can Rose be Roxy's daughter if Roxy is just a direct copy of Mom, created by John, and the post-Scratch kids don't do any ectobiology themselves? I think we might be right back to the theory that the pre- and post-Scratch kids created each other and each other's guardians in a Mobius double reacharound. (Not that this is my pet theory or anything, you understand.)

Also, if that is in fact the case, I love this line:

quote:

UU: if yoU play the game, yoU will meet yoUr daUghter.
UU: if yoU play the game, yoU will meet yoUr mother too!
UU: simple as can be. ^u^

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
She's saying that she'll meet Rose.

Rose from A was her daughter.
Roes from B was her mother.

It's all one Rose to meet.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

How can Rose be Roxy's daughter if Roxy is just a direct copy of Mom, created by John, and the post-Scratch kids don't do any ectobiology themselves?
How does that prevent Rose from being Roxy's daughter? I'm confused.

e:d;b

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, Roxy doesn't really seem to have a clear picture of the ectobiological situation, other than that ectobiology was involved in some fashion; and UU doesn't relate terribly well to how human reproduction works in the first place.

In any case, with or without the bifurcation assumption Rose is Roxy's "daughter" only in the sense that half of her genetic material was contributed by paradox slime based on another instance of Roxy.

I agree it's almost certain that the lines quoted all refer to meeting B1 Rose, rather than to prototyping the remains of B2 Rose, wherever those might be. UU is just being impish. It'll be funny when Roxy figures that one out.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea what Roxy needs to appearify vegetables for? I suppose maybe she's just trying to eat healthy and avoid processed foods, for fear of the Batterwitch's influence. Or something.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 29, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Yeah, Roxy doesn't really seem to have a clear picture of the ectobiological situation, other than that ectobiology was involved in some fashion; and UU doesn't relate terribly well to how human reproduction works in the first place.

In any case, with or without the bifurcation assumption Rose is Roxy's "daughter" only in the sense that half of her genetic material was contributed by paradox slime based on another instance of Roxy.

I agree it's almost certain that the lines quoted all refer to meeting B1 Rose, rather than to prototyping the remains of B2 Rose, wherever those might be. UU is just being impish. It'll be funny when Roxy figures that one out.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea what Roxy needs to appearify vegetables for? I suppose maybe she's just trying to eat healthy and avoid processed foods, for fear of the Batterwitch's influence. Or something.

She's on her own, no guardian. Possibly she needs to appearify things to eat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Jake's pumpkins have been single-handedly feeding half the cast across time and space.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

QueerPope posted:

So I think that Roxy's "Robinhood of Void" title is going to be about her stealing the lack of information from enemies and giving it to allies. So revealing information about Lord English while preventing him from knowing what's going on with our heroes?
Sounds about right. She's a hacker and a scientist, makes sense that she'd be the intelligence/counter-intelligence operative on the team. Like if Sonja from Advance Wars was a heavy drinker.

I'm still holding out hope for UU being good, but if she does turn out to be evil I certainly hope it's after she's given a good deal more exposition about SBurb and the individual roles of players. Will be interesting if she has anything to say to the B1 Kids and remaining Trolls, too.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

UU seems too sincere and good-natured to be an outright antagonist. Like she actually seems to care about the kids. I guess it could all be a ruse but the way she got flustered with Roxy indicates she's pretty young and inexperienced.

There's unfortunately a lot of signs pointing to her being less than benign, though. Right now my feeling is that she'll probably be well-intentioned but ultimately harmful, sort of like how Karkat was ill-intentioned but ultimately... well, he's not an antagonist at least.

I dunno, UU is pretty much the biggest mystery in the comic right now. It's amazing how he solved one huge one (LE's identity) and created a new one within days.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's weird, because UU seems to behave like she already knows all about the comic's various adventures. She refers to characters as famous and seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to connect herself to them.

It's almost like those holodeck episodes of the TNG, where a crewmember would hang out with a bunch of historical famous people and drop smug little "I know what's in your future" comments while the hologram was oblivious.

UU reads like a comic fan that has somehow gotten into the comic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

It's weird, because UU seems to behave like she already knows all about the comic's various adventures. She refers to characters as famous and seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to connect herself to them.

It's almost like those holodeck episodes of the TNG, where a crewmember would hang out with a bunch of historical famous people and drop smug little "I know what's in your future" comments while the hologram was oblivious.

Remember when all those lovely fantrolls became irrevocably canon? Remember how every other fantroll is ~the 13th troll~?

The Word of Huss has far-reaching consequences.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There is a slight fan-fiction tenor to UU, now that you mention it. Like, if you asked the average reader to add a character to the story they'd do it in the form of a troll who knows everything and is everyone's friend and goes for a very easy typing gimmick (capital U! Perfect!). Maybe it's just a natural reaction against seeing a new troll character (player?) added this late to the story, which sort of apes the fan-art/fan-fiction cliche of sticking someone new in where they didn't necessarily need to be.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Like, if you asked the average reader to add a character to the story they'd do it in the form of a troll who knows everything and is everyone's friend and goes for a very easy typing gimmick (capital U! Perfect!).

Hell, I think the average reader did this even without being asked.

Any bets on UU's strife specibus being 2XKATANAKIND?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Starmaker posted:

Lots and lots of words

Only problems I have with this theory are that Aradia said Knight was "a powerful combat class" which implies a Active class to me, which would mean if you are right the kids team is 3 active and 1 passive, and I think they are more likely to have an even balance of the two.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Bobulus posted:

So what you're saying is that this character is a combination and the personification of every single fantroll that ever existed.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Gabriel Pope posted:

Hell, I think the average reader did this even without being asked.

Any bets on UU's strife specibus being 2XKATANAKIND?

I'm hoping for STARKIND to round out the communist symbol trifecta.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Dolash posted:

There is a slight fan-fiction tenor to UU, now that you mention it. Like, if you asked the average reader to add a character to the story they'd do it in the form of a troll who knows everything and is everyone's friend and goes for a very easy typing gimmick (capital U! Perfect!). Maybe it's just a natural reaction against seeing a new troll character (player?) added this late to the story, which sort of apes the fan-art/fan-fiction cliche of sticking someone new in where they didn't necessarily need to be.

I like this theory. Hussie's already got the author insert, why not an audience/fan insert as well? Hopefully there's a good thematic rationale behind it, at least.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Only problems I have with this theory are that Aradia said Knight was "a powerful combat class" which implies a Active class to me, which would mean if you are right the kids team is 3 active and 1 passive, and I think they are more likely to have an even balance of the two.

Ah, but the kids team doesn't comprise of 4 players anymore. We've got a Maid, Page, Prince and Rogue now too. Plenty of ways the Alpha kids could have 3 passive and 1 active class, or if we count the remaining trolls into it

minimalist posted:

I like this theory. Hussie's already got the author insert, why not an audience/fan insert as well? Hopefully there's a good thematic rationale behind it, at least.

Given that at the start players were the ones giving commands, and exile terminals (like the one UU is typing at) were shown to be used to make commands like that, this might actually be a thing. UU is the reader, and all this speculation on classes is fanfic.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Slime posted:

Given that at the start players were the ones giving commands, and exile terminals (like the one UU is typing at) were shown to be used to make commands like that, this might actually be a thing. UU is the reader, and all this speculation on classes is fanfic.

Oh my God that makes so much sense.

Mocha Caveman posted:

At the risk of turning this into fantroll chat, there's a fairly in depth quiz that uses a few online personality tests (Enneagram and Cattell) to map you onto a title.

Breath is such a boring aspect.

Neat little test though, if only for introducing me to Enneagrams (how did I never stumble upon this earlier)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 29, 2012

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/37187

Which goon made this flier? Because I remember choosing the panels somehow. It's in my post history somewhere.

Also, since I'm probably not coming back for a while, I'd like to mention my favorite Homestuck fanfic: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?41880

pidgeon fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 29, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mocha Caveman posted:

This is actually pretty fun. The background picture for that Tumblr is pretty, uh, interesting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Starmaker posted:

Breath is such a boring aspect.

Neat little test though, if only for introducing me to Enneagrams (how did I never stumble upon this earlier)

I'm either Karkat or a Mage of that aspect. Inconclusive results, the second makes more sense but hey, Karkat. Fun little test.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax

Rasamune posted:

I'm hoping for STARKIND to round out the communist symbol trifecta.

Wasn't Sollux's strife deck full of throwing stars that he discardest in favor of psionics business? Sollux x Karkat x John confirmed for writing gristTorrent, the people's program.

Besides, I'm betting on UU using Knifekind just to fit in with the whole British theme of hers.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope UU is both the Handmaiden as well as a stand-in for every fan troll. My mind rationalizes on the basis that Hussie:Fans::English:Handmaiden. Or something like that.

It would be funny.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

piemanmoo posted:

Wasn't Sollux's strife deck full of throwing stars that he discardest in favor of psionics business? Sollux x Karkat x John confirmed for writing gristTorrent, the people's program.

Besides, I'm betting on UU using Knifekind just to fit in with the whole British theme of hers.

Nah, his strifekind was totally empty and he sliced it in half with the throwing stars... that he had lying around because he's a goony goon goon.

And UU as an audience stand in is a fantastic idea.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's... done, maybe?

A theme for the Auto-Responder, and my third submission: Leave a Message at the Beat.

More subdued and calculated than Dave, but yet more brash and overall less mature than Dirk, I put in bits of Beatdown with a softer sounding lead, though most of it is original.

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Leave a Message at the Beat.

This is fantastic and you're fantastic. :3:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That's pretty rad, it sounds like the music that would play under the dialogue right before a boss battle.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Guys I just have to bring this to your attention.

I can't decide which is funnier, Maplehoof, John's "what the gently caress" expression, Karkat's :swoon:, Vriska's :wink:, or Terezi's... Terezi.

edit: oh and also this is canon

yessssss

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 30, 2012

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Well Manicured Man posted:

HUUUUUUSSSSSIEEEEEEEEE :argh:

(the faces on the wings are a nice touch though)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yes, yesssss.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I take the codpiece to mean that Gamzee is the successful player character in Bard Quest?

Also, that Star Wars poster is something out of my nerdiest most awesome dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
That star wars request was awfully specific about what he wanted. Hussie came up with an awesome result though.