Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Konstantin posted:

Part of it is that "has a few issues" can mean anything from "requires one relatively inexpensive thing to be fixed, then runs perfectly" to "when the mechanic opens up the hood he will find a dozen things wrong and the bill will run well into the thousands". Even if you aren't trying to scam someone, some car problems can be difficult to diagnose and repair, and it's a huge risk the buyer probably doesn't want. People buy a car either to drive right away or as a project, if your car isn't "ready to drive right away" then it's a "project" and people will look at it as such and offer much less. If there is something wrong with your car that can be fixed cheaply, your best bet is to fix it before trying to sell it.

The problem is the people driving sub-$2000 cars with the mentality that, its paid off, drive it till it's too expensive to fix.

They break down, see the repair bill bigger than the car is worth, THEN try to sell with "minor problems."

My father-in-law was baffled that I wanted to sell our high-mileage heap when it was all running, but I just wanted it gone while it was still worth something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Don't know why I was looking but I wanted to see what RX-7s looked like price wise in my area. I saw a bunch of retards trying to sell non turbo 20+ year cars for $7k+. I wish I could've posted them all but this is what took the cake

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/2753541583.html

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
That, uh... there's certainly no accounting for taste.

Kinda thinking $20,000 is closer to the cost of restoration than the value of that vehicle.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

quote:

1987 MB 300D Turbo 168,000 miles. All New suspension, Fresh Paint and Body mods, Nice soundsystem, Sony head with remote, Polk Audio speakers front and rear, and a custom sub box with 2 MTX's powered by a 400 Watt amp.
The Good:

New Tires on 16" wheels Yokohama AVID TRZ's
New Alternator
New Struts and all suspension links changed
Manual boost controller.
Custom paint and bodywork including a new EVO wing and Projector headlamps
Over $5000 in recent work done.

The Bad:

The thermostat stuck and caused a headgasket failure, and the head needs to be repaired
AC needs to be recharged

This is a fun car to drive and as you can see from the pics it's a real head turner. A new home and different vehicle needs prompt this sale.
Give me a call and take a look. This will make you a great car, you can even convert it to run on Veggie oil! Or you could drop in a small block Chevy and a turbo 350 and have a one of a kind hot rod!!!

Call, come see it, make me an offer-Looking for a 63-65 Riviera as well, Interesting trades considered

And......

The joys of searching "custom"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Mighty Horse posted:

Got to love Springfield.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kronix posted:

Don't know why I was looking but I wanted to see what RX-7s looked like price wise in my area. I saw a bunch of retards trying to sell non turbo 20+ year cars for $7k+. I wish I could've posted them all but this is what took the cake

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/2753541583.html

There is a dude who has been trying to sell an RB26 swapped FD for like a year at least

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Why are "show cars" always designed by the colorblind?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2817495396.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Loucks posted:

There's that word again... INVESTED. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
There's that word again....Manuel....

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
$20,000 invested but selling for $9500 seems like a pretty piss poor "investment" to me.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Loucks posted:

I just want to know how the gently caress that guy wound up out in Muncie.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

redmercer posted:

I just want to know how the gently caress that guy wound up out in Muncie.

He must have really wanted to troll up and down McKinley and impress some Ball State coeds.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

thecobra posted:

holy poo poo this rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2819829914.html

This ruining car has maniacal problems. I think it might be possessed!

I believe the engine capacity may be 195000 ml3, not sure what that is in CCs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

195000ml IS 195000ccs. And it's not cubed, it's already volume.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
What the...OH MY GOD.

And... sorry for shooping...

Leperflesh posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2819829914.html

This ruining car has maniacal problems. I think it might be possessed!

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

thecobra posted:

What the...OH MY GOD.

This would've been the coolest "tuner" car in like 2006. Its a shame about the body work and interior because it should actually be quite quick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY THIS.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

what the gently caress did I just read?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

thecobra posted:

Manuel say: transmission should have oil not fluid inside.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wait, so carmax is offering $4500 and he's asking $1800?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Isn't "transminstion" a game played with shuttlecocks?

LEARN TO SPEAK YOUR MOTHER TONGUE. Jesus.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY THIS.

I need to join my local Lions Club if they get to work on stuff like this...
I would LOVE tinkering with something like that to get everything working right. The first thing I tend to do when buying a used car is replace all the consumables, then make all the little stuff like glove box lights, clocks, etc, work. It's a curse...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Since when is 87,000 units "rare"?

also, agree with grnberet2b: Sell it to Carmax. If it's *worth* more, *ask* more. Then let yourself be talked down to $1800 if you really want that person to have it. Gonna get nothing but low-ballers starting at the bottom.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-B10-Alpina-Allrad-3-0-BMW-525xi-Series-Sedan-New-price-W0QQAdIdZ289344272

gpw11
Oct 22, 2008
http://cars.facebook.canada.oodle.c...2-01-13&no_og=1

This kept on getting taken off of Craigslist, which blows because it had way more responses than the vanilla, boring-rear end ad I posted. Interestingly enough, all the low ball, easy sale "I'll pay $X00 CASH" offers for the joke ad were, on average, quite a bit higher as well. I'm currently using the data I mined from this to write an economics thesis on "Price Theory and the Macho Man Effect".

But seriously, I really wish this wasn't getting flagged so much and if anyone has any suggestions for small alterations I'd really appreciate it.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

thecobra posted:

Ah yes, the "hotdog stand" color scheme

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

gpw11 posted:

But seriously, I really wish this wasn't getting flagged so much and if anyone has any suggestions for small alterations I'd really appreciate it.

If I had to guess, it's probably getting flagged for having so many swears in it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Wow, that IS rare as hell. AWD e34s never came to North America, let alone alpina versions.

Of course the old AWD BMWs are pretty pointless unless you drive them in the snow thanks to the extra 200lbs of weight.

HoneyDippinDan
Jul 29, 2006
Tard Herder

thecobra posted:

What the...OH MY GOD.

It looks like a McDonald's barfed up the interior.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Another non-CL listing for all you who enjoy Internationals. '79 International Scout North Dakota is packed with cheapo examples like this. Too bad I don't have the ambition to do a lot of welding and chase down rare factory parts.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Who's up for Graboid hunting?

quote:

This truck has ONLY 42,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!! It has a Straight Drive Transmission and has a RARE AMC 327 V8 Engine!!!!! Body and Glass is Good. Has a new Starter, Distributor, Plugs, Wires, and Battery. It needs a Timing Chain b/c it doesn't run. It also needs a paint job and interior work. It would be a great restoration project. I'm a restorator of vintage cars and have too many projects at the moment. When properly restored, this would go for $8000-$15,000 on Ebay. $3500 OBO. Give me a call at xxxxxxxxxx to see up close.

Yeah, sure, the price is probably way to high, but if I had cash to blow, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Horse Divorce posted:

Now there's a reference I haven't heard in years.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Horse Divorce posted:

Yeah, sure, the price is probably way to high, but if I had cash to blow, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Is that... heater exhaust hose as an upper radiator hose?

Also, did the older first-gen AMC engines have the distributor in the back like that? The later ones (304 360 401) had it in the front, at an angle.

Fake edit: Looks like they did. Weird.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Here's a car that I would not mind owning at all. Factory picnic tables and it won a fuel economy competition in a Bentley club?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Now there's a reference I haven't heard in years.
Why haven't they remade that yet?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just can't see it having the same charm if it was remade with a decent budget.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
BEST FIVE GRAND I EVER SPENT

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-NEEDS-FULL-RESTORATION-W0QQAdIdZ350257767

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, there were 4 movies and a TV series. :downs:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ on a bicycle! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I have the strongest urge to just go buy this right now... even though there's probably something terribly wrong with it that he's just not telling. The "dry storage" part is a little concerning.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2817042059.html

quote:

Datsun 240Z with new Rebello 3.0 litter - $6400 (san rafael)

For Sale is my very early and collectable Series I Datsun 240Z. It is one of the first 4500 Z cars ever manufactured. It has a clear California title and current registration valid until October 2012. I purchased this car a couple of years ago for $4,000.00. The original engine did not have matching numbers and was tired so I had installed a new Rebello 3.0 liter racing engine at a cost of $6500.00 + $2,000.00 for installation. At the same time, I added a Champion 3 core polished aluminum radiator, 10 Lb. Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, new clutch, rare custom polished Euro balance tube, polished intakes, polished valve cover, velocity stacks (air horns), new hoses installed, chromed throttle linkage, polished thermostat housing, Chromed alternator bracket, Cad plated fan pulley, and many other nice touches. I also had professionally installed a rebuilt 5 speed from Datsun Parts LLC. I replaced the mustache bar bushings with polyurethane ones and powder coated the mustache bar and transmission plate. I replaced the passenger side door weatherstripping and the rear hatch weatherstripping. I have a new driver's side precision door weatherstripping but it has not been installed. The car has a Pertronix electronic ignition so there are no points to change.
I've put about 300 miles on this car since the Rebello engine was installed 2 years ago. I do not know how many miles are on the chassis, but it is mostly free of rust and is kept in dry storage. The one exception is under the battery where there is surface rust and one hole about the size of a quarter. There is also some bubbling under the rear hatch, but it looks stabilized and was perhaps treated when the car was last painted. The colour is now OEM 113 green metallic, but the car was originally painted 907 red. The seats are in good shape without tears and the door panels are also nice. Overall the interior is in good shape. All gauges work except the clock. The interior dome light works as well. Floor pans look to be in pretty good shape as is the spare tire area.
The frame rails are straight on this car and it has mostly original panels with the exception of the driver's side fender which was recently replaced with a new OEM one due to someone backing into it while the car was parked. The body shop did a reasonable job at matching the paint, but it is not perfect.
Tires are Kuhmo Ecstas on 15" aluminum mag rims. The tires are 195 50 R15 82H
Tires are in good shape with still plenty of tread. Price is FIRM! NOT NEGOTIABLE. I've invested over 14K and have only driven this car 300 miles. My loss is your gain.

OVER FOURTEEN THOUSAND INVESTED

Only registered members can see post attachments!