Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

the Bunt posted:

I'm looking for stuff like Ion Dissonance. I love how it's 80% breakdowns but still mathy as gently caress.

Ion Dissonance is so good, brother. I actually have a band in mind to recommend but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Glad I could help! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

the Bunt posted:

I'm looking for stuff like Ion Dissonance. I love how it's 80% breakdowns but still mathy as gently caress.

I'm not sure if these can really compare to Ion Dissonance, but PsyOpus, Gojira, and The Dillinger Escape Plan come to mind.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

XIII posted:

The Devil Wears Prada, Every Time I Die, Oh, Sleeper, and letlive. just announced tour dates together. Pretty stoked about it.

I just bought tickets to one of the shows just to see Every Time I Die. I've never listened to any of the other bands, where should I start?

Also this is a dumb question but I've never been to a metal show before, are they as fun as I think they are? I like high energy crowds and rocking out.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 27, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd start with letlive. I got hooked on them last year and my love for them quickly spread throughout my friends. I like Oh, Sleeper a lot and I'm kinda meh about TDWP.

Regarding shows: some are blast, some aren't. It depends a lot on the crowd. I will say that both ETID and ll. put on AWESOME shows.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Dirp posted:

I just bought tickets to one of the shows just to see Every Time I Die. I've never listened to any of the other bands, where should I start?

Also this is a dumb question but I've never been to a metal show before, are they as fun as I think they are? I like high energy crowds and rocking out.

You don't get started on those other bands because they all loving suck.

Speaking of Oh, Sleeper my boy's band got put on to their NYC show this weekend along with Skip the Foreplay and Falling in Reverse. Even though all those bands are terrible, they're huge so I'm stoked for my buddies.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Oh, Sleeper and TDWP have both been good for at least two albums now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not particularly found of the TDWP's high vocals. Also, their drummer's footwork is super crisp, but a lot of times the hand parts are kinda lackluster. Little details though. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying a lot of their jams.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Everything before "With Roots Above" is poop if you ask me, and they're terrible live (or they were the two times I saw them, before that album came out). But... their newer stuff is really good. The vocals are a little on the computerized side though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Also, their drummer's footwork is super crisp, but a lot of times the hand parts are kinda lackluster.

I've noticed this with a lot of bands in -core genres, I think it just lends itself to it unfortunately. So much emphasis is placed on footwork that the hands almost seem like an afterthought.

This is part of why I like Black Dahlia Murder so much; their drummer does some really good stuff on Deflorate and Ritual. Shannon Lucas was also in All That Remains when they wrote and recorded The Fall Of Ideals and it really shows in that album; the drums are really loving good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

While I'm not a big fan of The Black Dahlia Murder, I do really like Shannon Lucas and I didn't know he was drumming for them now. After a quick Wikipedia search, I see he joined in 07 and that I'm massively behind the times.

One thing I REALLY like about letlive. is that, while I love riff driven bands (ETID), they aren't your typical riff-riff-breakdown-riff band. The guitar work isn't out of this world, but their rhythm section is awesome. They really aren't "heavy" enough for this thread, even though I've mentioned them a time or two, but I highly recommend people check them out.

EDIT: Now, with more links! Here's two letlive. songs for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTR4iLjKM7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXURelyq2fo

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 27, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Going to see The Acacia Strain and Lamb of God tomorrow in DC, anyone else going?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

krustster posted:

Everything before "With Roots Above" is poop if you ask me, and they're terrible live (or they were the two times I saw them, before that album came out). But... their newer stuff is really good. The vocals are a little on the computerized side though.

They're still terrible terrible terrible. And it's only made worse by their constant preaching and their annoying as hell fans. But I 100% agree that their more recent stuff is pretty good.

And for anyone who hates them, please check out their newish EP, Zombie. It seriously has to be the best thing they have ever done, and I'm incredibly disappointed it didn't end up a full length album.

Also, as weird as this sounds (even though this was recently brought up), does anyone have anything like Bring Me the Horizon without the high-pitch vocals? Anything near them with those vocals makes me rage like nothing else, but BMTH just hits right with me.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 29, 2012

Austin Powers
Aug 13, 2011
Hi guys it's my first time in this topic I just want to say Converge is the poo poo. Anytime I listen to No Heroes I want to break something :black101:

Such an awesome band, anyone know of any other metalcore like Converge that consists of mostly structureless songs and just pure chaos?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is the difference between metalcore and deathcore purely trendiness or what?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

rxcowboy posted:

Going to see The Acacia Strain and Lamb of God tomorrow in DC, anyone else going?

Ok that was a huge letdown. Lamb of God put on a great live show, had a good crowd, etc.

Acacia Strain must have been having an off night or their sound guy was a moron because I think they just played one song for an hour. I mean logically you'd assume they'd play more than one song but between the unintelligible vocals and the same guitar and drum beat over and over and over again it kind of sucked. My friend is a huge Strain fan and came for them over Lamb of God, and he left shaking his head and just telling me over and over again to listen to the CDs because they sound better in the studio.

I mean, I get the point of growling, but what's the point of having a vocalist at your live performance if the lyrics are unintelligible, and the growls sound the same for all the songs with no variation in pitch, duration or intensity? Why not just fire the guy and play samples of the growling?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Ok that was a huge letdown. Lamb of God put on a great live show, had a good crowd, etc.

Acacia Strain must have been having an off night or their sound guy was a moron because I think they just played one song for an hour. I mean logically you'd assume they'd play more than one song but between the unintelligible vocals and the same guitar and drum beat over and over and over again it kind of sucked. My friend is a huge Strain fan and came for them over Lamb of God, and he left shaking his head and just telling me over and over again to listen to the CDs because they sound better in the studio.

I mean, I get the point of growling, but what's the point of having a vocalist at your live performance if the lyrics are unintelligible, and the growls sound the same for all the songs with no variation in pitch, duration or intensity? Why not just fire the guy and play samples of the growling?

The vocals are much more important if you know what they are/understand them. You'd understand better if you saw Cannibal Corpse live or something.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Can any of you guys help me find my "ideal" band? I've been listening to whatever-core for a couple of years, and as much as I love the genre, I haven't exactly found a band that fit within these certain boundaries:

In short, I'm looking for some group that is equal parts super harmonic with lots of interesting melodies and cool harmonies, but also have ridiculously heavy breakdowns. In terms of the former part, bands that come to mind that fit that bill are groups like Counterparts, or Elitist. Lots of minor ninths and stuff.

As for the second part, I like stupidly heavy breakdowns, like Despised Icon, The Ghost Inside, and what not.

I think the closest I've found is probably An American Shootout, a loving awesome band that not enough people know about :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rKQ2NrIdCE

Unfortunately it wants me leaving a little more on the harmonic aspects and the production quality is pretty poor. August Burns Red also comes close to fitting that bill, but they're too mathy. Counterparts doesn't have enough breakdowns. I love all these bands, but I'm trying to find the one that hits all those points. Anyone have any clues?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Can any of you guys help me find my "ideal" band? I've been listening to whatever-core for a couple of years, and as much as I love the genre, I haven't exactly found a band that fit within these certain boundaries:

In short, I'm looking for some group that is equal parts super harmonic with lots of interesting melodies and cool harmonies, but also have ridiculously heavy breakdowns. In terms of the former part, bands that come to mind that fit that bill are groups like Counterparts, or Elitist. Lots of minor ninths and stuff.

As for the second part, I like stupidly heavy breakdowns, like Despised Icon, The Ghost Inside, and what not.

I think the closest I've found is probably An American Shootout, a loving awesome band that not enough people know about :

Unfortunately it wants me leaving a little more on the harmonic aspects and the production quality is pretty poor. August Burns Red also comes close to fitting that bill, but they're too mathy. Counterparts doesn't have enough breakdowns. I love all these bands, but I'm trying to find the one that hits all those points. Anyone have any clues?

For the breakdowns, if you haven't already check out early Emmure.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

rxcowboy posted:

:cry: acacia strain :cry:

You're an idiot

scratch that, almost everyone in this thread is an idiot

:negative:

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 29, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're an idiot

scratch that, almost everyone in this thread is an idiot

:negative:

Please enlighten me on how I'm an idiot based upon my sole statement that I didn't like a bands live performance? I'm dying to know over here.

Edit: Never mind, read your post a few pages back that said gently caress yes to Strain and blech to Lamb of God. I'm sorry I'm an idiot because we have different tastes.

Edit 2: You keep posting in a thread full of idiots, are you hoping to be a shining beacon of taste in this terrible ignorant void?

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 29, 2012

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm a glutton for punishment, it's why I still have, and check, Facebook.

Anywho.. this is the "-core" thread. If you cum in your pants over Lamb of God then you probably should be posting about them in the straight up metal thread of whatever because they loving suck now.

e: Also your complaints about the vocals are all retarded, I don't go into the Black Metal thread and complain about all the synth and Gothenburg references. Your ignorance is loving blatant.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anywho.. this is the "-core" thread. If you cum in your pants over Lamb of God then you probably should be posting about them in the straight up metal thread of whatever because they loving suck now.

e: Also your complaints about the vocals are all retarded, I don't go into the Black Metal thread and complain about all the synth and Gothenburg references. Your ignorance is loving blatant.

We've been through this before, and it basically came down to "I don't like other peoples opinions! Stop posting them! :qq: " and than you left the thread for a little while because of it so yeah, don't repeat it again.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
This thread sometimes...

Obey the Brave video up tomorrow guys don't forget.

Also...

Trapped Under Ice are the poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The dude called the vocals "unintelligible"... is that supposed to be taken as a seriously valid complaint of this genre of music?

Of course not.

It just reminds me of all the loving assholes I know who listen to "normal" music and they're like "oh wah wah but you can't even understand what he's saying". For someone who is actually a fan of heavy music to pull the same poo poo makes me depressed and angry so I call bullshit when I see it. Sorry.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

The dude called the vocals "unintelligible"... is that supposed to be taken as a seriously valid complaint of this genre of music?

Of course not.

It just reminds me of all the loving assholes I know who listen to "normal" music and they're like "oh wah wah but you can't even understand what he's saying". For someone who is actually a fan of heavy music to pull the same poo poo makes me depressed and angry so I call bullshit when I see it. Sorry.

You must still be young enough for this to bother you. I remember those days. I'm sorry you're going through it now.

But it gets better. We promise. There's hope.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Of course not.

Are you done with your temper-tantrum now?

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of Caliban but they have a new album coming out "I am Nemesis" that's pretty good. Seems like it should cross-over well with fans of traditional North American metalcore.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I complained about the vocals at the live show being unintelligible, not the CDs being unintelligible. At no point did I label the entire genre unintelligible, I enjoy a ton of other bands in this genre, if you take the time to hop off whatever dick you're riding and actually read what I posted maybe that will become more evident. I'm sorry my opinion over a single band at a single show made me loving ignorant.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Of course not.

He was talking about a specific live performance and how the sound quality was bad. They actually sounded like poop the first time I saw them too, and I couldn't recognize the majority of the songs even though I'd heard them all a thousand times

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

I think Heart In Hand might be up your alley, my son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z293tG4-488

wow that's the first time I've seen the actual video, that is one weird-looking group of guys. "Tunnels" is my favorite song of theirs though, the main riff is like a breakdown in itself but it's super melodic at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeEobvDrZAI

I'll also go out on a limb and offer Years Since the Storm, this is my favorite song of theirs even though the talking part in the middle is kind of dorky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76MdEIJ7Ms
The EP is good but their full length is best ignored.

EDIT ONE MORE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYVWqOgxGhA
I think this band broke up which makes me sad :(

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Acacia Strain were good when I saw them :-/

It was at Warped Tour if that matters at all in this conversation

Is The Chariot good? I hated them when I saw them live cause I couldn't hear anything so all I heard was a mass of guitars and yelling, but this recent conversation might have inspired me to give them a try on CD haha

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Valex posted:

Acacia Strain were good when I saw them :-/

It was at Warped Tour if that matters at all in this conversation

Is The Chariot good? I hated them when I saw them live cause I couldn't hear anything so all I heard was a mass of guitars and yelling, but this recent conversation might have inspired me to give them a try on CD haha

Yeah I saw Acacia Strain at Warped too and they were excellent. They probably have a lovely sound guy.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
OBEY THE BRAVE

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

yoyoyoyo whatup betta recognize me and my boys on the block comin at u with our pitbulls and flatbrim hats and poo poo!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

OBEY THE BRAVE

Why, this sounds almost exactly like The Ghost Inside! I LIKE IT

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

yoyoyoyo whatup betta recognize me and my boys on the block comin at u with our pitbulls and flatbrim hats and poo poo!

only one of them is wearing a hat :geno:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

Gideon, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VToId6EynkE

Also try some newer Liferuiner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrm7CKTZZQ

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 30, 2012

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011

Austin Powers posted:

Hi guys it's my first time in this topic I just want to say Converge is the poo poo. Anytime I listen to No Heroes I want to break something :black101:

Such an awesome band, anyone know of any other metalcore like Converge that consists of mostly structureless songs and just pure chaos?

so good dark metalcore

Breather Resist.
Botch.
Cursed.
Trap Them.
Coalesce.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

gently caress the Facts is another good one for Converge fans although they're more grindcore (then again I've always seen Converge as more of a grind band anyway)

Eight Is Legend posted:

Also try some newer Liferuiner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrm7CKTZZQ

Augh, yeah. I've been digging this song for a while, I really like the direction this band went in. The first tape was a fun festival of mindless breakdowns and pig vocals but they got a lot better after that.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Sons of Straight Edge? Are you kidding me?

I don't know why but as soon as I see 'straight edge' anywhere, completely puts me off a band, way more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011

krustster posted:

gently caress the Facts is another good one for Converge fans although they're more grindcore (then again I've always seen Converge as more of a grind band anyway)

Converge seems to be just one of those bands that have enough of whatever you like that you focus on that and enjoy it.