Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I had a WD 2tb green caviar external drive that just died with no warning 5 months into service, losing 1.5tb of backups. Apparently this is a known problem due to lovely controllers (I have just found out) and I am going to hopefully get my drat money back instead of just rma'ing it for a replacement.

Anyway I am looking for a good RELIABLE replacement external hard drive and was wondering if there was consensus for the ones to look for.

Edit: just to clarify I'm running the latest version of Lion, and Disk Utility and DiskWarrior will not recognize the drive. I've even taken it out of it's housing and put it into another SATA enclosure. Apparently there is a chip on board the drive itself that is prone to catastrophic failure and damages the heads themselves. :waycool:
I thought it was just something like they park their heads way too much, like as super aggressive power saving technique. That said I have a few 1TB green drives that have been writing continuously for a few years in security camera boxes, I guess they may be better off since they don't really have the chance to ever use any power saving measures.

...and this is a generic computer hardware question rather than Mac specific :v:. I think Backblaze or some other cloud storage site mentioned having good luck with some model Hitachi 3TB drive a while back, so look that one up I guess. That's the only large scale advice I know of but I don't keep track of that stuff normally. HDs can be fickle beasts of course, so even if you get a known "reliable" drive it could crap out just as quickly as your last one (or you could get another green one that happens to last for years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Tutu posted:

Do all 2011 13 inch macbook airs creak and pop when you pick them up or apply pressure to the palm rest area? I took mine to the genius bar and they tightened up the screws and it didn't creak for a few days but now it does again. I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging it for another one or if there's no point because they all do this?

Mine did this for the first few months, but at some point it stopped on its own (only noticed recently when someone mentioned it).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

Well the trackpad itself is glass at least.

The area around the trackpad will be covered with a layer of ugly looking oxide eventually if he keeps using Windex, but thank goodness the trackpad won't be! C'mon, ammonia is a solvent, it's in Windex to make cleaning junk off glass windows easier. They even make a Windex with no ammonia because of this.

japtor posted:

Maybe some liquid residue (which fucks with capacitance) left? Of course the Windex should've evaporated...

Bingo. If some Windex seeps into the capacitance / sensor layer it's going to stick around long enough to gently caress with the sensor array, which seems to be the case here as it took time for it to return to normal.

Apple themselves recommends:

Apple posted:

Use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer’s exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray any type of liquid directly on the computer.
Don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.

If you're going to use some kind of cleaning solution, try either getting iClear if you're rich, or one of the countless iClear non-alcohol clone solutions.

quote:

On the off chance that I need to check the track pad I would have to pull the battery out right? There are all sorts of warnings telling me not to pull it out. Is that just warranty related?

Yes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think this may have been discussed already a few pages back, but can anyone make an educated guess at the likelihood of the 13" MBP getting a screen resolution upgrade with the next refresh (due around May, I've been led to believe).

I'm looking to get rid of my lovely 4 year old ASUS laptop for something fancy, and the 13" fits the bill as far as everything save the really low screen resolution. 1280x800 just doesn't give me enough real-estate to work with, but I'd rather not have to pay the ludicrous price-jump to the 15", and I'm not a fan of the Air's enormous silver bezel or the limited space of the SSD since I put a lot of poo poo on my laptop.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
The 13" MBA is 1440x900

EDIT: Oops.. didn't notice they said MBP. Yeah I have a 13" MBP at work and the screen sucks. I'm actually swapping it for an 11" air since the screen on the pro is so bad anyway. My guess is next release probably won't have a distinction between MBP or MBA. Or it could. Or Apple could just do a minor spec bump. Nobody knows, and Apple is kinda finicky about releasing that sort of information.

Honestly I'd say try the 13" Air. I didn't think I'd like the limited space but tbh I have most of my stuff in :airquote:The Cloud:airquote: now that I don't even ever notice it. The MBA has a much less reflective screen too, which I prefer. True story: I actually use my MBP at work as a mirror. Ctrl+Shift+Eject and adjust my hair or whatever.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 29, 2012

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Endman posted:

I think this may have been discussed already a few pages back, but can anyone make an educated guess at the likelihood of the 13" MBP getting a screen resolution upgrade with the next refresh (due around May, I've been led to believe).

You're taking a reasonable gamble in there even being a 13" MBP again.

And as /\ /\ said, the Air already has better resolution, and is faster for the vast majority of activities people use them for.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Yeast posted:

You're taking a reasonable gamble in there even being a 13" MBP again.

And as /\ /\ said, the Air already has better resolution, and is faster for the vast majority of activities people use them for.

True enough. As I said, I'm not keen on the silver bezel or the lack of storage space, but it could be that I just need to get a feel for the machine.

I've just watched a couple of videos of the 11" Air running TF2 really quite smoothly, which I found very impressive, so it doesn't look like the decreased CPU power over the MBP is a problem at all when running games on the Intel HD3000. (I assume that graphics performance is relative to CPU speed since the graphics processor is on the CPU itself.)

I'll have to wander down to the local Macstore and give the machine a try, see if I like the feel of it. I'm already a fan of OSX from my limited use of it.

Edit: From a little research on the internet, it looks like the Macbook Air may have a refresh around May as well, so I'll probably play the waiting game until then and reassess.

Endman fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 29, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well on the MBP instead of a big silver bezel you have...a big (and glossy) black bezel. The GPU has its own clock but I forget what speed they are on those particular CPUs, and otherwise keep in mind the turbo thing the CPUs can do. The base clock might be slower but they can turbo boost up a bit. Well the MBPs can too, but basically unless CPU use is a huge deal for you don't worry about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've had terrible luck with HPs, but drat, the new Envy is unabashedly cribbing from the MBP whenever possible.

Except the screen. I want that loving 15" IPS screen in my MBP Apple :mad:

e: and the Trackpad. Apple trackpad superiority for life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They say the color on it stinks. Combine that with a worse keyboard, worse battery life, un-available quad-core processor, and it's even bigger than the 15" Pro.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I was seriously looking at the Envy when it was first released but the trackpad is such loving garbage it would piss me off to no end.

Why can't PC's make a trackpad? How hard can it really be. gently caress sakes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

I was seriously looking at the Envy when it was first released but the trackpad is such loving garbage it would piss me off to no end.

Why can't PC's make a trackpad? How hard can it really be. gently caress sakes.

Lots and lots of patents on the good things from Apple. I think they're scared of being sued to oblivion-- but that doesn't explain the Hp Envy, so who knows...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does it come boxed up like an Apple product or just in some cardboard HP box with a 'designer' print on it?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Does it come boxed up like an Apple product or just in some cardboard HP box with a 'designer' print on it?

Don't forget BEATS(tm) Audio!

Endman
May 18, 2010

movax posted:

I've had terrible luck with HPs, but drat, the new Envy is unabashedly cribbing from the MBP whenever possible.

The fact that it's so obviously trying to copy the MBP in appearance makes it less attractive, in my opinion. It's a really good looking design, but it being such an obvious copy makes it seem cheap like a Hong Kong knock-off Rolex.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

It's embarrassingly shameless, that said any device I've used with 'beats audio' has always sounded great, even though it seems to be a bit of a cheap EQ trick. The branding is rather obnoxious though...

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

So I am planning to buy my first Macbooks later this month- one for me and one for the girlfriend.

I just have a question though and hoping that Parrot doesn't yell at me to go the OP.

Does the entry-level model MBA's screen size and resolution create problems when doing browsing or other things? Does it feel cramped in any way or have you ever heard owners say "man I wish this thing was a bit bigger."

Currently I am think of getting us two 13" MBP but the thought of saving up to $400 is kind of tempting. Like most people, we won't be doing work on these- these will strictly be gravy devices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

notMordecai posted:

So I am planning to buy my first Macbooks later this month- one for me and one for the girlfriend.

I just have a question though and hoping that Parrot doesn't yell at me to go the OP.

Does the entry-level model MBA's screen size and resolution create problems when doing browsing or other things? Does it feel cramped in any way or have you ever heard owners say "man I wish this thing was a bit bigger."

Currently I am think of getting us two 13" MBP but the thought of saving up to $400 is kind of tempting. Like most people, we won't be doing work on these- these will strictly be gravy devices.

They are perfect for internet surfing. Almost all the 15" laptops at Best Buy (for the price) have the same drat 1366x768 resolution.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

They are perfect for internet surfing. Almost all the 15" laptops at Best Buy (for the price) have the same drat 1366x768 resolution.

My 13.3 inch lovely hp laptop has 1280x800 and it has been perfectly acceptable for internet browsing, photo editing and all that jazz for like three years now. I imagine 1366x768 is glorious at 11 inches.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Endman posted:

The fact that it's so obviously trying to copy the MBP in appearance makes it less attractive, in my opinion. It's a really good looking design, but it being such an obvious copy makes it seem cheap like a Hong Kong knock-off Rolex.

Yeah, I'm not considering it in the least, I was just annoyed that the $1100 rip-off is sporting a higher-resolution, IPS screen out of the box.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
I recently got a 1st gen Macbook Air (October 2008). The harddrive and zif cable are missing. The hard drive is fine enough to replace with a SSD, but finding a zif cable replacement is turning out to be a pain. Is there anywhere I can get one for less than 80 bucks or in a hard drive bundle?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

My 13.3 inch lovely hp laptop has 1280x800 and it has been perfectly acceptable for internet browsing, photo editing and all that jazz for like three years now. I imagine 1366x768 is glorious at 11 inches.

the downside of course is that you can only read about two forums post then you have to scroll. turning off avatars and signatures helps, and on a 13 or 15 inch laptop you can zoom out one level and that helps too. I have 9.00 power contact lenses and the ~130 PPI Macbook Air screens are pushing it :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

glennnyc posted:

I recently got a 1st gen Macbook Air (October 2008). The harddrive and zif cable are missing. The hard drive is fine enough to replace with a SSD, but finding a zif cable replacement is turning out to be a pain. Is there anywhere I can get one for less than 80 bucks or in a hard drive bundle?

Nearly the first result in Google: Kit with a replacement bracket, screws, and cable. For $40. You need the bracket to hold the drive in place, you may have to wedge a thin piece of foam under the drive to keep in snug in the bracket.

You're not going to do much better as any part you get is going to be a pull from an existing MBA, it's a proprietary Apple cable that isn't being manufactured anymore.

Be reeeeal careful with that cable, it's only good for a certain number of insertions. Plus you should put a piece of kapton tape or an adhesive mylar patch over the socket to make sure it's set in there.

One of the few companies that makes an SSD that's compatible with the original MacBook Air is Runcore, another is OWC's. This is because you need a PATA SSD for this model MacBook Air.

I've actually installed a few 64/128 GB Runcores (sounds like Ronco!) and they're pretty good in my book. Yes, it's made by an Asian company and you can tell from the threadbare manual, but it's faster than OWC's model and it comes pre formatted in GUID format and one HFS+ partition already made. It also comes with a free USB 2.0 enclosure for your old 1.8" drive and a screwdriver to help disassemble the MBA.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 30, 2012

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

the downside of course is that you can only read about two forums post then you have to scroll. turning off avatars and signatures helps, and on a 13 or 15 inch laptop you can zoom out one level and that helps too. I have 9.00 power contact lenses and the ~130 PPI Macbook Air screens are pushing it :(

Yeah I get about 2.3 posts in a screen on this laptop. But I don't have that sweet, sweet two-finger scrolling.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah I get about 2.3 posts in a screen on this laptop. But I don't have that sweet, sweet two-finger scrolling.
Oh god, there's probably hacks for that you know, I used one on my old netbook for a while. You'd still be missing out on momentum scrolling though :eng101: (probably hacks for that too, but that wasn't a thing back when I last used that netbook).

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

japtor posted:

Oh god, there's probably hacks for that you know, I used one on my old netbook for a while. You'd still be missing out on momentum scrolling though :eng101: (probably hacks for that too, but that wasn't a thing back when I last used that netbook).

I tried looking into two-finger scrolling hacks but apparently my touch pad is like... not compatible with any of them or something? I dunno. Saving for a MBA either way.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

movax posted:

Yeah, I'm not considering it in the least, I was just annoyed that the $1100 rip-off is sporting a higher-resolution, IPS screen out of the box.
The review said that it's got the same lovely 1366 x 768 resolution as every other 15" laptop by default and that you have to pay an extra $150 for the IPS screen. Still, an IPS screen option would be really nice on the MBPs and would be about the only reason I'd bother selling my current early 2011 15" and trading up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kuskus posted:

I'm sure that's true for many applications. If we wanted to get them on the existing fiber network connected to the Xsan (still lower latency for many items than GigE) we would need like, a Thunderbolt to PCIe box and a fiber card which may throw a wrench in a clean rack setup. Our Xserve nodes act like workstations and render complete scenes, so they're 8 core with 24GB of RAM. I guess we'd just need to re-think things a bit, but that's good suggestion. Oh Apple, people still have Pro needs.
Heh. Try offering Time Machine to a hundred Mac users. I'd happily pay whatever Apple wants for Lion Server licenses but lol-can't-run-virtual-on-nonApple-hardware.

Oh and BTW the mac "servers" aren't on the vmware HCL :suicide:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 30, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeast posted:

You won't get anywhere.

You're better calling Apple Care and asking to speak to customer relations. As soon as you bring up consumer law or statutory warranties, Retail employees will refer you to legal.

With trade practices commission I don't deal with it, the govt sends its own goons in.

The technician I got to take a second opinion on it got back to me told me that there does indeed seem to have been some sort of liquid in there at some point, but it hadn't caused any damage. gently caress knows how liquid got in though. :/ I'm not sure how that affects warranty, although the techie did agree with me that apple can't set terms of warranties in australia, as its a legislative thing.

He did point out that apple are definately breaking the act by not having spare parts available to the end user, as the act is very explicit about it that these must be made available.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

duck monster posted:

He did point out that apple are definately breaking the act by not having spare parts available to the end user, as the act is very explicit about it that these must be made available.

Oh really? that's interesting. I wonder if they're getting around that by just making them hard to get and super expensive? Can they do the whole 'parts have to be installed by qualified person' thing as well?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I recently got myself an iMac (base 21.5" version) and I have a few questions.

1. I'm coming from a hackintosh I had that was using some Logitech 5.1 speakers I've had for ~6 years and they're just a massive mess of wires that I don't want to deal with anymore. Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg? I don't need anything fancy, just a simple 2 speaker (maybe + sub) system to eliminate the nest of wires under my desk.

2. Anyone know of a good mouse pad for the magic mouse? I hate the noise it makes going along my desk and fear it's going to scratch it up over time.

I'm already planning on ordering 2 4GB sticks to put me at 12GB of RAM which should speed things up nicely, just want to streamline the desk a bit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ouhei posted:

2. Anyone know of a good mouse pad for the magic mouse? I hate the noise it makes going along my desk and fear it's going to scratch it up over time.

why u no get trackpad

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bob Morales posted:

why u no get trackpad
I have one of those too, my girlfriend prefers a mouse to a trackpad so I opted for magic mouse when I picked up the iMac.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

evil_bunnY posted:

Heh. Try offering Time Machine to a hundred Mac users. I'd happily pay whatever Apple wants for Lion Server licenses but lol-can't-run-virtual-on-nonApple-hardware.

Oh and BTW the mac "servers" aren't on the vmware HCL :suicide:

I think the discontinued Xserves are in the HCL for vSphere 5. I wrote a long and poignant email to Apple Enterprise support about licensing and non-Apple hardware a couple of months ago, and things have been unsurprisingly quiet. Apple gives no fucks about education/enterprise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

I think the discontinued Xserves are in the HCL for vSphere 5. I wrote a long and poignant email to Apple Enterprise support about licensing and non-Apple hardware a couple of months ago, and things have been unsurprisingly quiet. Apple gives no fucks about education/enterprise.
They may be, and we have a bunch. I'm still not using them when I'm actively trying to get EOL'ed poo poo out of my racks.
Shame too because I'd happily run all my virtual stuff on Xserves if they were available (and any good), with whiteboxes for the highperf stuff.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Are there any other HDD diagnostic utilities built int OSX besides Disk Utility? My wife's blackbook keeps getting disk permission errors and the first aid tool in DU fails with Invalid file count and Invalid volume directory count. I think her HDD may be failing so it may be time for a shiny new SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Are there any other HDD diagnostic utilities built int OSX besides Disk Utility? My wife's blackbook keeps getting disk permission errors and the first aid tool in DU fails with Invalid file count and Invalid volume directory count. I think her HDD may be failing so it may be time for a shiny new SSD.

You could check the various log files in the console for disk errors.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

evil_bunnY posted:

They may be, and we have a bunch. I'm still not using them when I'm actively trying to get EOL'ed poo poo out of my racks.
Shame too because I'd happily run all my virtual stuff on Xserves if they were available (and any good), with whiteboxes for the highperf stuff.

I run my home NAS on FreeBSD with a ZFS pool and the new AFP and it's pretty simple to get multiple Time Machine volumes running and shared up.

Not sure if you're looking for LDAP/AD integration, but it's pretty simple to set up.

PM me for more info if you want as I don't want to derail the thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ouhei posted:

How about a combo mouse pad and ceramic feet specially designed for the Tragic Mouse?

OWC posted:

Silent Operation: The ceramic runners eliminate the friction that on some surfaces causes your Magic Mouse to generate that awful scraping noise.

Increased Longevity: The ceramic runners have a lifetime guarantee and it takes a diamond just to scratch them.

Dunno about the diamond thing but it's a 3 year warranty on the pad, lifetime for the feet..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recent news on a device to convert HDMI to Thunderbolt (in order to use a 2011 iMac as an output for an XBox, etc through target display mode)?