Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Terpfen posted:

Someone? Anyone?
EDIT: Very stupid suggestion, please, please, please disregard.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're really desperate, some people frequenting the "poo poo that you come across daily that pisses you off" or the "A ticket came in..." thread likely at least know what you are talking about. Please note however that those aren't "ask for help" megathreads. I'm not sure what would be an appropriate method to bring their attention to your problem, use your own judgement whether you think it's something you can get away with.

Frankly, I don't have the time any longer. These images need to start being applied tomorrow morning. I'll just have to use the bizarre and somewhat worrisome method of manually reformatting the hard drive prior to applying the image.

I appreciate the suggestion but due to time constraints I am now way beyond "last ditch effort" stage.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're really desperate, some people frequenting the "poo poo that you come across daily that pisses you off" or the "A ticket came in..." thread likely at least know what you are talking about.

Please do not do this, we will call you names if you do.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

stubblyhead posted:

As stated above, I'm not doing anything except resigning myself to even more needless work.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

I apologize deeply and sincerely. If anyone deserves namecalling right now, it's me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

HalloKitty posted:

Don't even waste time worrying. Just call the automated number Windows tells you to. You don't actually speak to a person, you just put the numbers in, it gives you the code to activate.

Hell I didn't even have to call, activated no problem. Apparently Retail Upgrade editions activate on 3 computers (though technically only licensed for one).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapinga posted:

Dropbox does not do "contribute" style syncing, it's not designed to work that way at all. Symbolic links don't really have much to do with that.

Edit: Yes, you are correct, a symbolic link is a "door" from one file to another. If you make a symbolic link to a folder, then navigating to any file within the linked folder is exactly the same as if you had navigated there from it's "real" path.

If you did individual symbolic links to files, I'm not sure what dropbox would do on deletion, but it wouldn't work very well anyways.

You could try removing delete privileges from the folder you're trying to contribute to, but I suspect Dropbox will barf or re-upload the files it can't delete.

Yeah, I've decided to give up on Dropbox. It has trouble keeping things in sync when symbolic links are involved. I don't know how I keep forgetting why I never use it.

Related question: Basically what I want to do is sync up my work files, which are essentially Excel spreadsheets and Word documents (*.xlsx and *.docx), between my home computer and my work computer. What's a good way to do this? I know MS Office has Cloud functionality. Can anyone vouch for its quality?

I guess Google Docs can also do something like this too, but I'm worried about formatting issues between the files.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 30, 2012

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I've decided to give up on Dropbox. It has trouble keeping things in sync when symbolic links are involved. I don't know how I keep forgetting why I never use it.

Related question: Basically what I want to do is sync up my work files, which are essentially Excel spreadsheets and Word documents (*.xlsx and *.docx), between my home computer and my work computer. What's a good way to do this? I know MS Office has Cloud functionality. Can anyone vouch for its quality?

I guess Google Docs can also do something like this too, but I'm worried about formatting issues between the files.

If that's all you want to do, then I'm guessing you don't have a huge amount of files that you need to sync. Why not use both SyncToy and Dropbox thus: work in a separate folder from your dropbox folder, and do a SyncToy contribute into your Dropbox folder. You'd have two copies of your files on your HDD, but if you're just wanting to use dropbox as a backup of all your files, then you could just set it up and forget that the dropbox folder (or sub-folder) exists, and just work off your normal documents folder.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Have you tried SkyDrive? It has Office 2010 integration plus you can access your docs with the web versions of Word/Excel etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm looking for a Pdf to Jpg converter so I can read some books I have on pdf on my phone. Can anyone help me out? I can just find any old one after googling, but I'd rather go with something someone's tried and knows for sure works well. Bonus points if it's free.

Have a look at ImageMagick, it should be able to do what you want. My PC is down at the moment so I can't test it for you, but I did the reverse process recently so this shouldn't be an issue.

HalloKitty posted:

Just to clarify, yes, it looks more bloaty, and you do have to turn off a few features, then turn back on the fields with useful data, but yep, the μtorrent you love and need is still there.

I just installed the latest version on my laptop and was really surprised how much worse it got since the last time I ranted about it. Now it's actively trying to shove adware and toolbars down your throat during installation, and through various links in the app itself. It doesn't even want to run from the exe copied from program files, and instead forces you to reinstall it. I'm about this close writing my own torrent client in assembly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Now it's actively trying to shove adware and toolbars down your throat during installation, and through various links in the app itself. It doesn't even want to run from the exe copied from program files, and instead forces you to reinstall it. I'm about this close writing my own torrent client in assembly.
Adware, toolbars, yes. But as said, the links in the app and the other bloat can all be made invisible. Making it portable still works as well. Doing that, it didn't force me to reinstall, it just asked for the interface language again and then started up. You can uninstall after that and use the copied exe as long as it's in the same folder as the settings.dat file.

I don't like what they're doing to it, and it's becoming a lot of hoops to jump through to get it set up the way I like, but when that one time deal is done, I have no real complaints.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Factor Mystic posted:

Have you tried SkyDrive? It has Office 2010 integration plus you can access your docs with the web versions of Word/Excel etc.

This looks perfect! Thanks! I thought the Cloud functionality only worked within Word, etc. I didn't realize you can do it in-browser too. This is what happens when out of the Windows Live loop I guess.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 31, 2012

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I've read in many places that Windows turns off superfetch if it detects an SSD. However, the majority of my programs and games are stored on an external hard drive, so I wouldn't mind if it prefetched programs that are stored there.
So I guess my main question is does SuperFetch work with external drives? And if so, should I re-enable it?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there any good freeware webcam software out there?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Is there any good freeware webcam software out there?

Manycam :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've got a (hopefully) really basic Windows 7 question. How can I tell Chrome to open with the window maximized vertically every time? I really like the snap-to-toolbar-and-top trick but it would be even better if there was a way to have it just open like that in the first place.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you just mean so that it will vertically span the height of your monitor? Applications generally tend to remember their "position" when you close them so I'm not sure what you mean.

The only application I've seen that tends to jump around on its own is Yahoo Instant Messenger, which is absolute poo poo in many ways.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Sab669 posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you just mean so that it will vertically span the height of your monitor? Applications generally tend to remember their "position" when you close them so I'm not sure what you mean.

The only application I've seen that tends to jump around on its own is Yahoo Instant Messenger, which is absolute poo poo in many ways.

If you lock the height of a window by resizing the title bar up to the top of the screen (or pressing shift+win+up), it will be forgotten when the application is restarted. Not sure why or how to fix it, but it definitely happens.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

If I resize to some arbitrary size within the desktop and/or move the window, Chrome (and other applications) remembers those settings just fine. For whatever reason though, grabbing the lower right corner of the window and dragging it to the taskbar so that the window snaps to the top and bottom of the screen (but not full screen maximized, i.e. the width doesn't change) doesn't "count" as a resize, so new windows open at whatever less-than-full-height size they were at before I did the snap-resize thing.

I'll have to play with it some more when I get home, but I think when I tried to just fill the vertical space by manually resizing (without using the snap-to trick), it would open new windows a little lower than the top of the screen, resulting in the bottom being behind the taskbar and me having to move them anyway.

That key shortcut will save a little effort for sure though, thanks for that.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Does anyone have advice on how to speed up scanning time? I've tried both the HP Scan software and Adobe Acrobat, which makes me think its more of a hardware limitation than software.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Roving Reporter posted:

Does anyone have advice on how to speed up scanning time? I've tried both the HP Scan software and Adobe Acrobat, which makes me think its more of a hardware limitation than software.

If image quality isn't a huge concern, dropping DPI should help.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I went into the Network Security thread first, saw what the first few posts had to say about McAfee, and got worried. Maybe it's time to change? :(

I know the OP said any one of the major AV programs will do for protection, but are there any particularly standout ones (for Windows 7 home use)? Free ones were mentioned, but if someone knows a really nice AV I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Saturday Mornings posted:

I went into the Network Security thread first, saw what the first few posts had to say about McAfee, and got worried. Maybe it's time to change? :(

I know the OP said any one of the major AV programs will do for protection, but are there any particularly standout ones (for Windows 7 home use)? Free ones were mentioned, but if someone knows a really nice AV I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty much all you need for home use.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

When I see MSE pop up here, in the Network Security thread, and in the Tech Support subforum, I guess I should choose MSE! Thank you.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Second'ing MSE, it's surprisingly good.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Does anyone have any suggestions for software that will detect port scans?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the Cavern of COBOL, but I have a general Sharepoint question...

I'm interning for a company that has no IT deptartment, and they want me to learn and set up a very small Sharepoint website for them. The main idea is that they want to replace a server they have in the office and just use Sharepoint for sharing and managing files.

What I've done so far is just create a few different Libraries on the website:
-Training Resources
-HR
-Sales & Marketing
-Shared Documents (general files anyone might want to reference, but doesn't directly need for their day-to-day job)

I feel like it must be possible to set up permissions so that the Sales Manager can ONLY write to the Sales library, or whatever restrictions my boss is going to want. So I created those libraries but when I go to the Manage Permissions page, there doesn't seem to be any users there?

I've tried to read as much on Google as I could before starting this project, but I really have no loving clue why I'm doing this, or why they think I should be doing this.

e; Um, I doubt it. We use Office 365 so I can't imagine it deals with AD at all. I suppose it would make sense to have to create each individual user, assign them to a group, then assign that group permissions?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 3, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do you have it syncing with Active Directory? If not you'll have to manually create users. That's my only question, I don't really know poo poo about Sharepoint.

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Does anyone have any suggestions for an Objectdock replacement?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So now that my ISP has introduced a 2 A.M. to 8 A.M. unlimited download Window, I want to exploit the hell out of it. I had a look around for some FTP software with scheduling but I can't seem to track down a free solution (or at least cheaper than $40); FileZilla doesn't have scheduling. I might also be keen for some kind of application that sets system-wide network speed limits that I can turn on and off as needed, so I can queue up some downloads that will go at 20 kilobytes per second or something until 2 A.M. when it rams up. That might be too system-intrusive of a solution, though.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Quick question: My little brother has a netbook and I have Serviio set up for our local network. He wants to watch movies, listen to music, etc with the netbook. I have downloaded XMBC for it but it seems to be very resource intense and makes the unit run hotter than usual. Is there any simple or better (as in, not as cluttered as XMBC) software to use to view DLNA/UPnP streams with?

Atltais
May 21, 2004
And there was much rejoicing.

univbee posted:

So now that my ISP has introduced a 2 A.M. to 8 A.M. unlimited download Window, I want to exploit the hell out of it. I had a look around for some FTP software with scheduling but I can't seem to track down a free solution (or at least cheaper than $40); FileZilla doesn't have scheduling. I might also be keen for some kind of application that sets system-wide network speed limits that I can turn on and off as needed, so I can queue up some downloads that will go at 20 kilobytes per second or something until 2 A.M. when it rams up. That might be too system-intrusive of a solution, though.

Have you tried WinSCP? I mostly use it for SCP transfers but it's perfectly servicable for FTP as well. Here's a guide on scheduling.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I feel like it must be possible to set up permissions so that the Sales Manager can ONLY write to the Sales library, or whatever restrictions my boss is going to want. So I created those libraries but when I go to the Manage Permissions page, there doesn't seem to be any users there?
It only lists users and groups that currently have access to the library. By default, all libraries inherit permissions from the parent site. To add additional permissions, you have to break inheritance first. After that you'll be able to edit library-specific permissions.

Sab669 posted:

e; Um, I doubt it. We use Office 365 so I can't imagine it deals with AD at all. I suppose it would make sense to have to create each individual user, assign them to a group, then assign that group permissions?
Yeah, that'll work. Sharepoint groups are more limited than AD security groups, but I doubt that you'll run into those restrictions anytime soon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

jps1979 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an Objectdock replacement?

Have you tried out RocketDock?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I hope this is the right thread for this question. I found an old hard drive of mine from years ago that had a lot of Napster (the legal incarnation) music on it in encrypted .wma form. Napster seems to have forgotten that my account ever existed, I have no idea what's going on there. Is there any way to get at this music? I checked around online and it seems like the solutions are either a) 20 bucks and very sketchy or b) require my computer to have at least one authorized song or some such.

If this is illegal, forget about it. There's just some cool stuff in there that I'd like to hear again for nostalgic reasons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Frankly, I'm going to say that if you already purchased a license to this music and lost access to it through no fault of your own, it would be morally all right for you to download a copy from whatever :filez: source you found most convenient.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I tried looking for DRM removal tools (including some forum sources I trust) and found largely the same results as you did, so this is what I would honestly recommend.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

univbee posted:

I might also be keen for some kind of application that sets system-wide network speed limits that I can turn on and off as needed, so I can queue up some downloads that will go at 20 kilobytes per second or something until 2 A.M. when it rams up.
I'm in a similar situation where downloads only count half towards my monthly limit between 1AM and 1PM.

Take a look at Netlimiter Pro for exactly this. It's 30$, but it works really well. The interface has its quirks, but it's very workable. For any bandwidth limiting rule you can edit them to add start and end times. It's also easy to temporarily suspend all rules. You can (but don't have to) use it as a firewall too. I do, because I find it easier to understand than the Windows firewall, since everything is visually organised by program instead of by type of rule.

Maybe it's overkill, on the other hand it leaves you free to use whatever FTP program you like, limit in-browser download speeds (for specific IP addresses if you like), bittorrent, limit LAN speeds so you can still watch youtube while copying large files over the network, idem for automatically updating games and programs, whatever. I like it and recommend it.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
A non-goon friend and I are interested in learning to 3D model and we're looking for recommendations on what to use. We have a really specific list of what we're want, however:

-Capable of rendering animations
-Takes advantage of all CPU cores
-Can import/export *.fbx and *.x (for use with XNA)
-Can take advantage of a tablet with a pressure-sensitive pen
-Capable of exporting files to use in a stand alone application for rendering

Since we're poor students, we're also looking for freeware or something free/cheap for students.

We've used Blender a while ago, before it got a big change in its interface, so we're just wondering if we should move onto something else, or just re-learn how to use Blender.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Frankly, I'm going to say that if you already purchased a license to this music and lost access to it through no fault of your own, it would be morally all right for you to download a copy from whatever :filez: source you found most convenient.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I tried looking for DRM removal tools (including some forum sources I trust) and found largely the same results as you did, so this is what I would honestly recommend.

I appreciate the advice - at the very least, it's nice to have a list of what I used to have that I can pick the best out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

McOgre posted:

A non-goon friend and I are interested in learning to 3D model and we're looking for recommendations on what to use. We have a really specific list of what we're want, however:

-Capable of rendering animations
-Takes advantage of all CPU cores
-Can import/export *.fbx and *.x (for use with XNA)
-Can take advantage of a tablet with a pressure-sensitive pen
-Capable of exporting files to use in a stand alone application for rendering

Since we're poor students, we're also looking for freeware or something free/cheap for students.

We've used Blender a while ago, before it got a big change in its interface, so we're just wondering if we should move onto something else, or just re-learn how to use Blender.

There are free student licences for Max and Maya (and Mudbox if you want to sculpt) but if you're familiar with Blender it might be worth learning the new layout, it's definitely a lot better now they've organised everything properly. There's been a lot added since but this might help you find your feet:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2009/06/18/overview-of-blender-2-5/ (it gets more informative about 7 minutes in)

Honestly though you'd be best asking in the 3DCG thread in Creative Convention - say why you're learning and what you eventually want to be able to do, if you're hoping to work in the industry some packages are going to be more useful and relevant than others

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 4, 2012