Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Is it around that boney protuberance in your upper thigh? I used to fall on that constantly and it hurt super bad but I think it was just an inflammation of the bursa around the outside of the trochanter.

I used to deal with this all the time when I played inline since I didn't wear a girdle and stopping is a bullshit lie :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gio posted:

Groin pulls are a bitch.

Speaking of injuries, I got tripped up in my league game this past tuesday and landed on my side where padding, at least for the pants I have, is nonexistent. Pretty hard, too. I'm not even sure what the hell is bruised/broken/whatever, but it hurts like hell and I've been limping around for the past couple days. Being an idiot, however, I skated tonight. Hopefully I didn't exacerbate the injury too bad!

This is what you do when you love playing hockey. Or what you do when you're an idiot.

Did you hurt your hip or your leg? An almost identical thing happened to me about 1.5 years ago - I was coming across the red line at full speed and deked around an opponent who decided that it would be a good idea to stick his leg out and take me knee on knee. In retrospect, I regret not just falling on his leg and ending his career, because I lifted my leg to avoid tearing my knee up and went flying over his to land on my side, hip/pelvic bone first, right between the pads on my girdle. It hurt so loving bad that at first I was concerned I'd fractured my hip or, having landed as I did, that my bone actually tore my abdominal muscles. In the end I think it was just a terribly bruised bone and equally bruised abs. But it hurt really bad for about 3 weeks (didn't play until the 4th), to the point where I had trouble sleeping (yeah apparently your abs do a lot of work to keep you stabilized when you're lying prone on a soft surface, because everytime they tensed it was loving agony). On the way home from the game, I poo poo you not I almost swerved off the road when I sneezed. It felt like someone stabbed me in the side.

But anyway, let's talk about my groin. :)

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
A guy on one of my old man teams absolutely destroyed his knee Tuesday night. Stick near the skates, one guy goes one way, other guy goes the other... Ugh

He was laying flat on his stomach and his leg above the knee was pointed straight ahead and flat on the ice. Below/ including the knee was also laying flat on the ice... It was just turned 90 degrees. I've never heard a guy howl like he was. This was a new team where no one knew each other, too (we all signed up online and were randomly assigned to teams.) I hope he has either an ACL or MCL left, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Funkutron5000 posted:

A guy on one of my old man teams absolutely destroyed his knee Tuesday night. Stick near the skates, one guy goes one way, other guy goes the other... Ugh

He was laying flat on his stomach and his leg above the knee was pointed straight ahead and flat on the ice. Below/ including the knee was also laying flat on the ice... It was just turned 90 degrees. I've never heard a guy howl like he was. This was a new team where no one knew each other, too (we all signed up online and were randomly assigned to teams.) I hope he has either an ACL or MCL left, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Jesus. I'm picturing a real life version of NHL 94 injury in my head.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Went to drop in today, and these two juniors showed up. I think one was 16, the other younger. We only had 8 skaters so we split them up. I'm not sure what happened, I think they're brothers for whatever that's worth, but about 40minutes into drop in the older one skates into the younger one (neither have the puck) and wrecked him. The group laughs, thinking it's just kids being kids or whatever, until the younger one starts two-hand swinging his stick at the other.

In retrospect, chuckling when the one kid got open-ice exploded (this is roller) might not have been the best reaction by everyone present.

Drop in :allears:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

Eww! Why! You're going to eat through that blade so fast! Plus, the rubber material is going to be hell in handling passes. A few of the kids I coach use it, I don't understand.

(I think you may be joking, but I don't know, so just go with it)

From pages ago but yeah, I was joking about the blade rubber sticker thing to replace tape.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Those thine are great for roller because it allows your stick to slide, but I don't use them for ice.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Because the ASG skills competition is boring, I made a photodoco of my neurotic tape job:

http://imgur.com/a/4NMap

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verman posted:

Those thine are great for roller because it allows your stick to slide, but I don't use them for ice.

Our roller surface, which I like a lot but which is perforated (I assume so that sweat doesn't stay on top), eats through sticks if I don't tape them. I have no idea how people play without a full tape job at my rink. I see guys with that retarded two stripes on the face of the blade parallel to the ice and I wonder how many blades they go through.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Habibi posted:

Did you hurt your hip or your leg?
More leg than hip, really.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Habibi posted:

Our roller surface, which I like a lot but which is perforated (I assume so that sweat doesn't stay on top), eats through sticks if I don't tape them. I have no idea how people play without a full tape job at my rink. I see guys with that retarded two stripes on the face of the blade parallel to the ice and I wonder how many blades they go through.

Yeah that sucks, our surface is all solid plastic so its smooth unlike the "waffle"court that a lot of outdoor public places use. My sticks last forever without taping them and only using the rubber pads.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
For roller I tape my stick like normal (I use different sticks for roller) and then use a knife and cut the tape off the bottom of the blade.

Back home, after and during high school, there is a city park that has 2 outdoor roller rinks, painted concrete with chain link glass.

They had $2 pickup every thursday night and it was always the same people every week. We played contact, and it was awesome.

If someone new showed up no one hit him but once they figured it out they started in on the fun, no one ever got hurt either, well at least from the contact.

Thats where I took a slapshot to the cheekbone.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Tournaments are fun as hell. We won our league's "Outdoor Classic" yesterday, basically coming from the bottom (third seed out of six), the only team who played three games instead of two. Just for the hell of it, I weighed myself yesterday morning and this morning again - lost about 5 lbs, and that included when most of the team went to gorge on pizza and beer in a three hour gap between our second and third games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bytebark posted:

Tournaments are fun as hell. We won our league's "Outdoor Classic" yesterday, basically coming from the bottom (third seed out of six), the only team who played three games instead of two. Just for the hell of it, I weighed myself yesterday morning and this morning again - lost about 5 lbs, and that included when most of the team went to gorge on pizza and beer in a three hour gap between our second and third games.

How was that third game? I've noticed if I eat a meal less than 2 hours before going to the rink, my motivation tanks and I really gotta force myself to do something useful.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

xzzy posted:

How was that third game? I've noticed if I eat a meal less than 2 hours before going to the rink, my motivation tanks and I really gotta force myself to do something useful.

Schedule went something like this:

1:00 - 1:45 1st game
1:45 - 3:10 - sit around waiting for the 2nd game
3:10 - 3:55 - 2nd game
4:30 - get to restaurant, order pizza
5:00 - eat pizza
5:45 - finish eating pizza, save leftovers for team captain who is reffing another game in the tournament. Realize we're all getting drowsy and want warm drinks.
6:00 - Arrive at Starbucks, get hot caffeinated drinks. Goalie doesn't want anything while we're there, and not wanting to snap his streak (won the first game 3-1 [I think?], 2nd was a 4-0 shutout), we don't press this issue any further.
6:25 - Get back to the rink somewhat rejuvenated. Slowly start getting dressed again.
7:30 - 3rd game starts

So clearly the secret to our success was pizza and Starbucks.

Edit: Third game was fun but obviously we were all dog tired. One of our guys sprained his ankle badly in game 2 and had gone home after (Facebook pictures of it he took at home are cause for concern), and another had to work that evening so we knew he wasn't going to be in game 3 all along. This being a non-points tournament, we picked up a couple subs from other teams - both of which were then on their 4th game of the evening, having previously subbed in the third place game. One of our D-guys, "day to day" with a back injury, showed up right before game 3 and after he got dressed, started double shifting so our captain could take longer breaks. He needed it after having reffed ~3 games, in addition to playing in our previous 2. The other team had a 2-1 lead going into the second half, but we tied it up and went to a shootout. First three shooters for either side, one goal scored each. We didn't do sudden death, but just one more shooter from either side in a 4th round - they didn't score, we did, and won. Finally got out of there about 9:15 after cleaning up and stopped at the nearest Oberweis Dairy to gorge on a bucket-sized chocolate shake.

bytebark fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 29, 2012

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verman posted:

Yeah that sucks, our surface is all solid plastic so its smooth unlike the "waffle"court that a lot of outdoor public places use. My sticks last forever without taping them and only using the rubber pads.

That's what they used to have, and I actually think this stuff is an improvement. The surface is both faster and tackier than the old one, so the puck moves way better and you can dig into turns and stops with more authority. Having to retape my stick more frequently is a small price to pay for what I think is a better game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
weird, I just remember that stuff eating the poo poo out of my wheels. I would notice wear on my wheels every game. The worst part was falling, it would eat anything that slid along the surface such as skin, pants, whatever, the pattern was pretty open though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Anyone here have experience with groin pulls? I busted mine on the first god drat shift of our D4 playoff game last Thursday and trying to get a sense of what I can expect (and I've done the whole WebMD and Googlething). It hurt like a bitch when it happened, and I finished out the game but essentially playing on one leg, as I couldn't get anywhere close to a full extension with the hurt leg (and didn't even try). It's felt much better since Saturday - doesn't hurt at all until I'm putting strain on the groin (long stretch, kind of arching my leg back from the hip, etc...). It seems to slowly be improving, but I want to give it enough time to get at least well enough recovered to start skating again before I put the skates back on.

I've been dealing with one of these the last few weeks. I stretch daily (the butterfly thing and the leg-behind-you thing are the most effective at getting the muscle I injured, sometimes it will differ) and take a lot of ibuprofen. I took a week off of skating after it happened, skated last week and felt ok, felt close to 100% in my game tonight. Still going to work on it until there is no pain at all. 800mg doses of ibuprofen are your good friend in this process, as is ice although it does make your weiner cold.

Also I scored on a short-side top corner on a 2 on 1 tonight for the first time in a long time. I was pretty surprised it actually went in, as was the goalie.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 30, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'd be very, very careful with how often you take ibuprofen. Even semi-regularly can cause stomach inflammation or, worse, an ulcer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Our goalie is buds with the goalie of the team we played tonight. We were up 6-0 in the third and I come in on a change to see their goalie trying to skate the puck end to end. I was gonna let him go on and shoot but the killjoy refs gave him a penalty for crossing the red line.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Obligatory response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know what it is about the word "cocksucker," but calling someone it really gets under their skin and instantly causes them to want to drop the gloves. It's fantastic to make someone flip their lid like that.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So last night we played the team with pretty much the dirtiest player I've ever seen. This guy slew-footed me into the boards the last time we played. He wound up taking two 5-minute majors against us this time around. The first, he intentionally tripped one of our players into the goal post. The second time, he again slew-footed on of our guys into the board, giving him a probable concussion.

I guess the guy played Juniors, and now and he's on a C-league team. I wonder why :iiam:

Next question: How many players do you guys carry on your teams? We had 15 show last night. Being on defense, that means I would normally get 15-18 minutes of ice time, between 6 defensemen. Of course, we've got hot shots who think a 3-minute shift is OK if you like to dangle, so I probably got 14 minutes or so last night. I wasn't even sweating for most of the game.

I'm thinking about dropping this team.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Dangerllama posted:

Next question: How many players do you guys carry on your teams? We had 15 show last night. Being on defense, that means I would normally get 15-18 minutes of ice time, between 6 defensemen. Of course, we've got hot shots who think a 3-minute shift is OK if you like to dangle, so I probably got 14 minutes or so last night. I wasn't even sweating for most of the game.

This is roller, but try to run 10 skaters. 3 lines of O, 2 D. It works pretty well. Most teams in our league roll 8 skaters with 2 full lines, but we have some old/out of shape people and they wind up short-shifting anyway.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

This is roller, but try to run 10 skaters. 3 lines of O, 2 D. It works pretty well. Most teams in our league roll 8 skaters with 2 full lines, but we have some old/out of shape people and they wind up short-shifting anyway.

That's what my roller team does except we have 11 guys. Most of the time someone can't make it so its not a problem but a couple games last season we had that awkward extra guy

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase, can you explain this situation to me? I don't know why I am struggling with it.

Teams are White and Green. Matching minors to both, white picks up an additional unsportsmanlike for being an idiot.

Both guys sit in the box. It is 5 Green 4 White at the next faceoff.

Wouldn't white need to sit a player from the bench in the box to serve the unsportsmanlike while the original player served his matching minor?

I don't understand how we came on at full strength when the running penalty for unsportsmanlike when our only player in the box was serving a matching minor that expires at a whistle. This was compounded by the fact that the board operator did not put our penalty time on the board.

Was one of our players so grossly out of position that I thought it was 4v5? Even though before every faceoff I count the players before taking the draw or from the bench, because I've been conditioned to do it for years? How would that be if we got an additional matching minor? Does white with 2 penalties just serve the first running penalty since both his penalties run at the same time?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 30, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

We have 17 on our roster because our captain has unilaterally brought on a couple of his buddies as new players this season (And yet he somehow feels the need to complain about ice time). One guy is out for a few weeks with a broken finger though. It's going to suck rear end if everyone ever shows up for a game. We had 14 last night and aside from the awkward number it was ok, 13 would have been better.

Because we have so many people I'm only paying $215 for 13 games though so that's pretty cool.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I'm just sick of getting 15 minutes per game. At $450 for 20 games, plus playoffs that's roughly $20/game. So about $1.30 per minute of ice time.

That's some expensive ice. I pay roughly $125 for 10 lunch league games, where we usually dress 9. So given about 30 minutes of ice time, I'm looking at around $.40 per minute.

Why in the hell did I just calculate all that?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I mean, the only way it makes sense is if you put some value on non-ice time parts of league games. Like, I enjoy playing on a team, I like the games meaning something, I like having officials. I like that people (sometimes) backcheck and play their positions.

Yeah, if I go to pickup hockey I'll probably get 50 minutes of icetime for $10 but it'll be 50 minutes of dangly teenagers and chasing breakaways up and down the ice.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gio posted:

I'd be very, very careful with how often you take ibuprofen. Even semi-regularly can cause stomach inflammation or, worse, an ulcer.

Ibuprofen is pretty much the least harmful anti-inflammatory drug on the market. Most of studies I'm familiar with that have shown serious GI tract consequences (bleeding, ulcers, inflammation) have dosed the participants with more than prescription-strength allotments multiple times a day for several weeks on end. Yes, it CAN cause stomach and GI issues with smaller doses in people who are sensitive, but for the most part you are not going to experience any problems if you aren't taking a ton of it for prolonged periods. Exceeding prescription strength (600mg) isn't recommended, but here and there when you're really hurting it's not horrible (though, I will admit I've never popped more than 600mg, and only do that if I'm in serious pain - like right after I pulled my groin and wanted to finish the game out). And taking it 'semi-regular' in reasonable amounts is not likely to cause you any trouble.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Had a semi-breakaway last night, and the D guy who was chasing me down couldn't catch up to me, so he decided to 2 hand whack my left shin as hard as he could right when I got the shot off over the goalie's shoulder for the goal. It didn't trip me up but it hurt like hell, and left a nice mark on my shin pad. You know how you bend plastic it gets white? Well, there's a big white mark on my shin pad.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Habibi posted:

Ibuprofen is pretty much the least harmful anti-inflammatory drug on the market. Most of studies I'm familiar with that have shown serious GI tract consequences (bleeding, ulcers, inflammation) have dosed the participants with more than prescription-strength allotments multiple times a day for several weeks on end. Yes, it CAN cause stomach and GI issues with smaller doses in people who are sensitive, but for the most part you are not going to experience any problems if you aren't taking a ton of it for prolonged periods. Exceeding prescription strength (600mg) isn't recommended, but here and there when you're really hurting it's not horrible (though, I will admit I've never popped more than 600mg, and only do that if I'm in serious pain - like right after I pulled my groin and wanted to finish the game out). And taking it 'semi-regular' in reasonable amounts is not likely to cause you any trouble.
It depends on the person, I agree. I have a sensitive stomach and had stomach inflammation from taking naprosyn (aleve) regularly/semi-regularly for a few months. I think, though, it's important to always err on the side of caution and avoid taking anti-inflammatories if you can get by without them.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Topoisomerase, can you explain this situation to me? I don't know why I am struggling with it.

Teams are White and Green. Matching minors to both, white picks up an additional unsportsmanlike for being an idiot.

Both guys sit in the box. It is 5 Green 4 White at the next faceoff.

Wouldn't white need to sit a player from the bench in the box to serve the unsportsmanlike while the original player served his matching minor?

I don't understand how we came on at full strength when the running penalty for unsportsmanlike when our only player in the box was serving a matching minor that expires at a whistle. This was compounded by the fact that the board operator did not put our penalty time on the board.

Was one of our players so grossly out of position that I thought it was 4v5? Even though before every faceoff I count the players before taking the draw or from the bench, because I've been conditioned to do it for years? How would that be if we got an additional matching minor? Does white with 2 penalties just serve the first running penalty since both his penalties run at the same time?

First off, this assumes the additional penalty assessed to white made it a double minor, not a minor + misconduct.

In that case, you're correct, white should have sent a second player to the penalty box to serve the additional minor penalty, because the coincidental minors expire at the first whistle after 2 mins and would have just made it 5 on 5, whereas the additional minor to the white player would make it 5 on 4 and expire either on a goal scored by green or at 2 minutes on the dot, and the additional player should come out then. The coincidental minors shouldn't go on the scoreboard but the additional minor should.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 30, 2012

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gio posted:

It depends on the person, I agree. I have a sensitive stomach and had stomach inflammation from taking naprosyn (aleve) regularly/semi-regularly for a few months. I think, though, it's important to always err on the side of caution and avoid taking anti-inflammatories if you can get by without them.

Yeah I'm with you there. I've never really had a drug affect me adversely, but if I'm hurt or sick and it's not really affecting me too much, I'm not going to take anything to make it better on the grounds that the less of this stuff that passes through my system, the better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

Had a semi-breakaway last night, and the D guy who was chasing me down couldn't catch up to me, so he decided to 2 hand whack my left shin as hard as he could right when I got the shot off over the goalie's shoulder for the goal. It didn't trip me up but it hurt like hell, and left a nice mark on my shin pad. You know how you bend plastic it gets white? Well, there's a big white mark on my shin pad.

That's awesome. I did the same thing last night, minus the shot and goal. Dude couldn't keep up with me so he just dove foward, slid, and took my skates out and I crashed into the boards. I swear I get tripped on a breakaway every goddamn game. It's amazing I haven't broken anything yet.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's awesome. I did the same thing last night, minus the shot and goal. Dude couldn't keep up with me so he just dove foward, slid, and took my skates out and I crashed into the boards. I swear I get tripped on a breakaway every goddamn game. It's amazing I haven't broken anything yet.

Did you get a penalty shot?

I skated over to the guy and chirped at him a bit, the ref came over and got in the middle of us and said, "I got him, I got him.." Apparently the ref had his arm up for a penalty after the hack on my shin. I'm actually glad I scored instead of getting a penalty shot because I have absolutely no shootout/penalty shot moves. I'd sell my soul to the devil to be able to do the Forsberg move.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

trilljester posted:

Did you get a penalty shot?

I skated over to the guy and chirped at him a bit, the ref came over and got in the middle of us and said, "I got him, I got him.." Apparently the ref had his arm up for a penalty after the hack on my shin. I'm actually glad I scored instead of getting a penalty shot because I have absolutely no shootout/penalty shot moves. I'd sell my soul to the devil to be able to do the Forsberg move.

I love watching guys try the Forsberg move in inline.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope, no penalty.
In 3 seasons, I'm 1 for 1 in penalty shots during regulation though. :smug:

So I was hoping to move up a league for next season, and that fell through due to an over-abundance of forwards. Rather than go free agency and get stuck on a team of dickheads, I think I'm opting to stick with my team in the lower league. Sucks :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Habibi posted:

Uhm... does it work?!!? I'm guessing no because the surface isn't ice.

Henrik Zetterberg presented by Amway posted:

So I was hoping to move up a league for next season, and that fell through due to an over-abundance of forwards. Rather than go free agency and get stuck on a team of dickheads, I think I'm opting to stick with my team in the lower league. Sucks

Yeah, don't go the free agency route. Our team had to cut a few dickheads and awful players. I think we've got a good group of guys now though, probably will stick with us when we move up leagues next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Habibi posted:

The Jagr is big in my league. That and attempting to trap the puck on the stick blade while spinning at about one-million RPM then launching the puck top shelf. (this always fails.)

Roller hockey douches, all day erry day.

Serious question: aside from flexing my stick correctly, is there something I should be doing to get more velocity on my wrist shot? Is it more mechanics or beefing up? I feel like I have a pretty pathetic wrist shot for a guy my size, and there are people who just seem to make the end-boards absolutely explode with their misses, mine sound like pitiful thuds.