Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

nm posted:

I am skeptical of rehabilitation, at least as it exists in the US. My experience has been the court mandated programs are pretty useless time wasters. They are incredibly expensive and that cost is always passed on to the defendant. A 24 hour outpatient drug program costs $500 here. And unlike the fines, that fee cannot be waved or converted to community service. It is a seriously profitable industry.
I'm in favor of rehabilitation in theory, but I've never seen it well instituted here. It always becomes a feel good measure for the courts, a cash grab for the groups that do the programs, and a leading reason my clients are re-incarcerated.

One of the few court referral counseling/treatment programs I'm aware of that has a good (non predatory) model is UABSAP (University of AL in Birmingham Substance Abuse Program) in Jefferson County in Alabama. It includes TASC and some other programs which are also connected to the university.

They get their funding from several sources: UAB (UABSAP is part of the psychiatry department), they aggressively seek federal grant money, and they get some funding from the state and county (well, not anymore). Traditionally they've gotten funding from the last two because they routinely analyze the county's budget (more than the county itself does, apparently) and have been able to demonstrate every year the cost effectiveness of diverting offenders to their program vs holding them in jail. For the University they provide research subjects (that sounds nefarious - subjects in the sense that they provide demographic data, they have people in their program fill out questionnaires for researchers, etc), and for the Federal government they provide statistics. My connection with them is related to that stuff - I did some programming work on a database application, and after that a short term job handling the paperwork and data entry for a researcher.

Some of the intensive outpatient programs they run have fees, but the fees are done progressively based on income, below a certain point there is no fee. They also have exceptions for certain groups, like single mothers, and they provide things like free transportation for people who don't have the means to get to their required group and case manager meetings. Given the financial poo poo storm in the county and state (the state legislature has literally been inundated with tea party types who find the whole organization offensive), they've had to add fees to a number of formerly free programs. They made these fees progressive as well, but to do so they had to lay off a quarter of their staff and work out a deal to get a bunch of interns from the university. Basically, at that point they were relying almost entirely on getting funding for 2012 from a federal grant, which they had been preparing for months, because they were fairly sure the county was going to cut off funding (which they did). The county gets handed this grant proposal (they are responsible for submitting it), but fail to correctly fill out a single part of the federal form, somehow, and it's rejected. No money. Thankfully the director called in some favors (from a Senator, I think), and after some Washington shenanigans they were able to get the grant accepted. Otherwise, they would have had to shut down pretty much all of their operations next year, including the entire methadone program. The county putting the wrong code into a form field almost meant POOF hundreds of opiate-dependent people suddenly without methadone.

I bring it up because yeah, you don't see court ordered rehabilitation instituted well hardly anywhere, and I think the situation described above is probably why. It's absolutely crazy that a program which sees itself as non profit providing mental health services, which supports related research for a state-funded university, and which is broadly seen as indispensable by judges and law enforcement in the county, literally has to fight tooth and nail for funding because they don't use punitive fees as their main source of revenue. Like you say, I think people generally approve of the idea of rehabilitation, but it seems to me that the funding, organizational focus and political will to do it in a non predatory way simply isn't there in most states.

I was privy to conversations about the for-profit inpatient treatment businesses in other counties in Alabama, and they were basically described as, at best a racket, and at worse flat out abusive extortion of powerless and vulnerable people. The director of the jefferson county program and his staff try to keep tabs on this and if they notice something crazy they try to get it shut down. But this literally involves going out to the courts in these counties and talking to the judges, who have these little fiefdoms out in the boonies, to ask them nicely to not refer offenders to these abusive businesses, because the state apparently doesn't actively try to enforce regulations.

Orbis Tertius fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Haley Barbour just handed out over 200 unconditional pardons and sentence reductions.

Holy poo poo.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Ah, what the hell? Is he insane, or is there some larger context to this I'm not getting.

That part about 'trustys' makes it sound like he pardoned a number of them just because they seemed like decent enough dudes in person - which is really just, well that's just dumb.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Why the United Methodist Church Divested from Private Prisons

A... A Good Thing, In The Prison Thread???

The United Methodist Church has put a screen in place barring any church that is a part of the UMC system from investing in "any corporation that has gross revenues of 10% or more from private prisons."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orbis Tertius posted:

Ah, what the hell? Is he insane, or is there some larger context to this I'm not getting.

That part about 'trustys' makes it sound like he pardoned a number of them just because they seemed like decent enough dudes in person - which is really just, well that's just dumb.

He can't run for Governor anymore and it looks like he's just tired of the political game in general, so he probably just said "gently caress it" and pardoned a bunch of people on his way out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

pokchu posted:

The United Methodist Church has put a screen in place barring any church that is a part of the UMC system from investing in "any corporation that has gross revenues of 10% or more from private prisons."

How many does that leave?

Action Potential
Sep 7, 2004
Just saw a 34 min preview of Slavery by Another Name. Both the Pulitzer-winning writer and the Emmy-winning director were there for a Q&A. It is a really cool documentary on the justice system of the south immediately following the civil war. Black men and women were thrown into an effective literal slavery via convictions due to the wording of the 13th amendment all the way through middle of the 20th century. By slavery, I mean legislatures wrote laws targeted at African Americans, local sheriffs convicted them on bullshit, threw them in jail and then sold them for a profit to plantation owners. The plantation owners used whips and chains to "control" their "convicts" that they bought and forced them to work their fields.

It is not too drastically different from our current justice system, so I would encourage all of you to check it out on Feb 13 on PBS when the full thing airs.

They did touch on the issue, but would not fully commit to saying how hosed up our current justice system is in front of 100+ old southern conservative people. I am hoping for a sequel that demonstrates modern injustice.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Action Potential posted:

Just saw a 34 min preview of Slavery by Another Name. Both the Pulitzer-winning writer and the Emmy-winning director were there for a Q&A. It is a really cool documentary on the justice system of the south immediately following the civil war. Black men and women were thrown into an effective literal slavery via convictions due to the wording of the 13th amendment all the way through middle of the 20th century. By slavery, I mean legislatures wrote laws targeted at African Americans, local sheriffs convicted them on bullshit, threw them in jail and then sold them for a profit to plantation owners. The plantation owners used whips and chains to "control" their "convicts" that they bought and forced them to work their fields.

It is not too drastically different from our current justice system, so I would encourage all of you to check it out on Feb 13 on PBS when the full thing airs.

They did touch on the issue, but would not fully commit to saying how hosed up our current justice system is in front of 100+ old southern conservative people. I am hoping for a sequel that demonstrates modern injustice.

Leased convicts were in many cases treated worse than slaves, since they were so much cheaper. What's more, with our privatized prisons, we're still incarcerating for profit.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
HidingFromGoro, you are a hero. You have brought the truth of America's horrific medieval prison system to my eyes and those of many others. I know you're not the OP, but your contributions to this and other prison threads have been immeasurable.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Soulcleaver posted:

HidingFromGoro, you are a hero. You have brought the truth of America's horrific medieval prison system to my eyes and those of many others. I know you're not the OP, but your contributions to this and other prison threads have been immeasurable.

When I try to counter bullshit about prisons on other sites, I drop a few relevant statistics, and tell people to google "hidingfromgoro." He's so good, diligent, and prolific on this topic that his handle is a keyword that will find you pretty much everything you would ever want to know on the subject.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine
Voting in the prison can be done fairly easily.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/publications/Fact_Sheets/prisoner_voting.htm

You can stay enrolled at your previous address and vote absentee by mail, or re-enroll at the site of the lockup. If you are in a large regional clink they send in the guys from the AEC with real voting booths and pencils and all that jazz.

Though, you can go to jail for not voting here so...

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I was able to vote from inside the military brig by mail.

so yes, it can be done, but the military criminal system is not setup to enforce law, its setup to enforce good order and discipline of the troops so you can end up in the brig for items as stupid as getting a tattoo (destruction of government property, aka your skin), being late to work, or saying Yes Sir in a poor tone of voice.

I indeed saw the poor tone of voice one personally, the poor kid was sent to pree-trial confinement for disrespect to a superior and was stuck there for 90 days as they tried to build a case against him, he was released with out charge at his pree-trial hearing on the grounds that the charge was for something far to subjective but the damage was already done.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soulcleaver posted:

He might as well be the OP. He was the OP of the LF thread which this was made to be a mirror of when LF was closed down.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I know quoting without content isn't considered appropriate in this sub forum, but the above is 100% true. In large part it's been the interest and effort of HidingFromGoro that's kept these issues on the radar of these forums, and it's seriously a noble effort and I applaud him for it.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Fire posted:

He might as well be the OP. He was the OP of the LF thread which this was made to be a mirror of when LF was closed down.

And before that I'm reasonably sure he started the thread that got people at SA talking about the subject to begin with.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Is there a single link, an essay or article, that provides a good overview of the problems with the prison/justice system? Most people aren't willing to read tens or hundreds of articles about a topic. What's the best way to share the information in this thread to someone in the general public?

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Is there a single link, an essay or article, that provides a good overview of the problems with the prison/justice system? Most people aren't willing to read tens or hundreds of articles about a topic. What's the best way to share the information in this thread to someone in the general public?

The only links I know of are dead right now. It's to Prison Nation: Laissz's Faire and from what I understand I think a something awful member actually put it together but I could be wrong about that.

http://lf.dont-read.com/?feed=rss2&cat=9

http://lf.dont-read.com/?feed=rss2&cat=8

http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/lf.dont-read.com/%253Fp%253D51

Was really good source generally overviewing all the issues on just one webpage, it was kinda long but all on one page and you just kept scrolling down to read and really sad to see I can't find it anywhere on the net at the moment.

Perhaps someone else has a working link because I'd like to get one as well to replace my old one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remembered I had this while searching for a link for another thread.

http://www.defendingjustice.org/pdfs/factsheets/9-Fact%20Sheet%20-%20US%20vs%20World.pdf

While not as information dense as the other link I was trying to get for you, it at least is a basic start to introduce someone to the issue.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 21, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mitztronic posted:

Gates of Injustice is an awesome and relatively concise book about the problem. But I dunno, nobody wants to read books so :suicide:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does anybody have the link to the old LF effortpost, the one that's on that external blog/site/thing?

e: Posted higher on the page, the dont-read links are down for me.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 24, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dickeye posted:

Does anybody have the link to the old LF effortpost, the one that's on that external blog/site/thing?

e: Posted higher on the page, the dont-read links are down for me.

Yeah, I was just looking for the offsite effortpost and it was gone.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Does anyone know who was hosting that, and if they still have the pages? I haven't had a chance to read most of the old threads.

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This was posted in the Cops on the Beat thread and thought it should be posted in here as well. Man was held in solitary confinement for 2 years without seeing a judge or having a trial.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/25/10233835-report-man-spends-2-years-in-solitary-after-dwi-arrest

quote:

A New Mexico man who said he was forced to pull his own tooth while in solitary confinement because he was denied access to a dentist has been awarded $22 million due to inhumane treatment by New Mexico's Dona Ana County Jail.

quote:

Stephen Slevin was arrested in August of 2005 for driving while intoxicated, then thrown in jail for two years, reported NBC station KOB.com Tuesday night. He was in solitary at Dona Ana County Jail for his entire sentence and basically forgotten about and never given a trial, he told KOB.com.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
I believe this has been discussed before in this thread, the nature of criminal registers for public record, the only kind I know of being for sex offenders.

The other day we had a woman with her daughter leave where I work because she recognized one of my co-workers as someone who was on the offender registry. My morbid curiosity eventually brought me to use what my tax dollars are paying for, but frankly, I don't feel any better after confirming what I was told.

I feel bad for my co-worker, I feel as though he is being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, where his personal information, photograph, and place of work are there for anyone to see.

Why don't we have offender registries for other types of criminals, like con artists? I'd very much like to know people who have committed perjury or otherwise have been found of being criminal dishonest or abusing peoples trust in other manners, but we don't apply these conditions to those convicted.

This is why I think the sex offender registry is cruel and unusual, it's specifically targeting a minority of criminal and basically wholesale destroying their privacy after they have served their sentence.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It also puts public urinators in a class together with child molesters. Even if the particular registry identifies what the crime was, the people obsessing over those registries tend not to pay attention to details like that, and you still have to look at them one by one to get that information, from what I've seen.

Like you look at a map covered with dots showing where all the sex offenders live, and your blood runs cold, you're sitting there thinking "look at all those child molesters and rapists," and when you start looking at individual records maybe 1 in 4 is even anything the least bit frightening.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

It also puts public urinators in a class together with child molesters.

Holy hell, that's awful. I had no idea that was a thing.

American attitudes towards criminals (regardless of crime) and the purpose of the criminal justice system are stunningly regressive, almost barbaric. Sex offenders of the worst sort (rapists, pedophiles) aren't permitted the possibility of being reformed, of re-entering society without the taint of their past actions following them for life, more or less. A more enlightened view would temper the (justified) disgust at their actions with the recognition that a just society should seek to reform and reintegrate them as much as possible, and that this includes not making them pariahs for life, but I'm afraid American culture has a long way to go before that's a palatable idea.

As a somewhat related aside, I think the Venture Brothers cartoon is noteworthy for having a "reformed" (through super science) pedophile as a main character in the 4th season. Pretty sure the show is unique in that respect.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Orbis Tertius posted:

As a somewhat related aside, I think the Venture Brothers cartoon is noteworthy for having a "reformed" (through super science) pedophile as a main character in the 4th season. Pretty sure the show is unique in that respect.

Yes and then they stick Sgt. Hatred with two young boys who clearly remember him doing inappropriate things in previous encounters, or at least Hank remembers.

Although the scene where Dean is being his support, trying to talk Hatred out of giving into his urges through the bedroom door, is pretty hilarious and heartwarming in the same breath.

This actually speaks a lot for how we address these problems. Hatred simply has the symptoms treated, those being his inappropriate desires towards minors, without addressing the underlying source. Since the source of the problem hasn't been treated, as soon as the symptoms return it's very easy to roll back into old habits.

I think this is a big part of recidivism. I thought back the other day to how much alienation affected my behavior in public school, when considering what my co-worker has to go through.

It made me feel like a piece of poo poo when people wanted nothing to do with me, and it eroded how much I actually cared about things like academic success. Instead I kept seeking ways to express the toxic emotions that were building up, experimenting with drugs, and getting into theater & drama, as well as philosophy. Where there was an absence of peer companionship, I superimposed this warped view that would probably sum up in the cliche 'gently caress this Earth'.

The point I'm getting to is really repeating what HidingfromGoro has stated before, only love will defeat this machine. So if you know someone who is in the system, or who has come out of it recently and is reintegrating, give them your love and support, give them the time, write a letter or make a phone call, or pay them a visit.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

A.S.H. posted:

Yes and then they stick Sgt. Hatred with two young boys who clearly remember him doing inappropriate things in previous encounters, or at least Hank remembers.

Although the scene where Dean is being his support, trying to talk Hatred out of giving into his urges through the bedroom door, is pretty hilarious and heartwarming in the same breath.

This actually speaks a lot for how we address these problems. Hatred simply has the symptoms treated, those being his inappropriate desires towards minors, without addressing the underlying source. Since the source of the problem hasn't been treated, as soon as the symptoms return it's very easy to roll back into old habits.

Nice profile picture/discussion synergy :)

TRIGGER WARNING I think? does that apply here?

Yeah, his pedophilia is used for pure odd-situational comedy some of the time, but there's some more nuanced stuff slipped in, like the scene you mention. The other one that comes to mind is the brief scene where Hatred has 'fallen off the wagon' and is drinking Axe cologne (or the cvs equivalent), and dean's coaching him through the door again (hmm), but the source of that breakdown is that his non-deviant affection for Hank, which he's apparently taken some pride in having cultivated, isn't being reciprocated. I think that's one of the minor story arcs in season 4 - Hatred 'growing up' by transitioning from pederasty to seeking validation in a more normative sort of fatherly or guardian relationship with the venture bros, who are his main source of support when he stumbles. There's another subtext to this in his relationship with his ex-wife, who he gets back together with at the end. In early episodes and some brief statements it's suggested that he loved Princess Tiny Feet for her...small feet, that is, he wasn't relating to her sexually as a woman, but as a boy-ish stand in. But, princess tiny feet apparently has her own deviant sexual needs, and Hatred treating her like a pedophilic surrogate isn't doing it for her, so she leaves him. At the end of the series (after he's developed the more mature, non-molestation-oriented relationship with the venture bros), it seems like he's also grown up in his being able and willing to respect his wife's sexuality on her own terms and meet her needs in a more normal (relatively speaking) heterosexual relationship. Basically it's like some sort of hosed up, hilarious and sometimes touching bildungsroman-style thing. Great show. Also: what the hell possessed me to write all that? Jesus.

quote:

The point I'm getting to is really repeating what HidingfromGoro has stated before, only love will defeat this machine. So if you know someone who is in the system, or who has come out of it recently and is reintegrating, give them your love and support, give them the time, write a letter or make a phone call, or pay them a visit.

This.

Orbis Tertius fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 29, 2012

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

A.S.H. posted:

I believe this has been discussed before in this thread, the nature of criminal registers for public record, the only kind I know of being for sex offenders.

It exists for every offender- that part of the job application where it asks "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" Remember that they used to specify felonies and ask only about "in the last 5 years," then it went to 7, then to 10, and now most of them ask if it's ever happened (apparently meaning your entire life).

If this were an econ thread I guess that would be called "labor market flexibility;" but even if it somehow helps small-business job-creators save money, it still really hurts offenders who've learned their lesson and want to move on with their lives- people like you and me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HidingFromGoro posted:

It exists for every offender- that part of the job application where it asks "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" Remember that they used to specify felonies and ask only about "in the last 5 years," then it went to 7, then to 10, and now most of them ask if it's ever happened (apparently meaning your entire life).

Yes, but at least it isn't out there for the whole world to see.
Even worse when it is incorrect. I know at least one person on the California sex offender registry who has no business being there. I got his case dismissed, but getting him off the registry is almost impossible.

Also, sex offender registry shows up on the first part of the MDT (by the warrants or parole status generally), so any cop who stops you knows immediately, unlike the convictions which you generally have to actually look at.

I don't disagree that you shouldn't have to list felonies on job apps unless they're specifically related (DUI for driving jobs, fraud for banks and such). The searches also need to be better regulated. There are thousands of people who show up on federal background checks (not just the lovely private ones) as convicted when cases were dismissed or even never filed.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 29, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PTBrennan posted:

I like it.

Justice System to Citizens: Look we know we have so many laws on the books that sooner or later you're going to break the law whether you mean to or not, it's inevitable, so let's just send you a bill every month and we'll call it even?

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested yet by some republican somewhere.

My bad they already do, they just call is something different.

http://deaauctions.com/police_seized_property_auctions.htm

It's called an "Auction" instead of "Criminal Taxation".

http://www.prepaidtraffictickets.com/how-it-works.php

Seriously. Pre-paid fines; An actual thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Look at the prices on the main page; that's actually a form of insurance or gambling.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Human Rights Watch: Number of Aging Prisoners Soaring,Corrections Officials Ill-Prepared to Run Geriatric Facilities (110-page PDF)

quote:

Prisons were never designed to be geriatric facilities. Yet US corrections officials now operate old age homes behind bars.
Jamie Fellner, senior adviser to the US Program

(New York) – Aging men and women are the most rapidly growing group in US prisons, and prison officials are hard-pressed to provide them appropriate housing and medical care, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. Because of their higher rates of illness and impairments, older prisoners incur medical costs that are three to nine times as high as those for younger prisoners.

The 104-page report, “Old Behind Bars: The Aging Prison Population in the United States,” includes new data Human Rights Watch developed from a variety of federal and state sources that document dramatic increases in the number of older US prisoners.

Human Rights Watch found that the number of sentenced state and federal prisoners age 65 or older grew at 94 times the rate of the overall prison population between 2007 and 2010. The number of sentenced prisoners age 55 or older grew at six times the rate of the overall prison population between 1995 and 2010.

“Prisons were never designed to be geriatric facilities,” said Jamie Fellner, senior adviser to the US Program at Human Rights Watch and author of the report. “Yet US corrections officials now operate old age homes behind bars.”

Long sentences mean that many current prisoners will not leave prison until they become extremely old, if at all. Human Rights Watch found that almost 1 in 10 state prisoners (9.6 percent) is serving a life sentence. An additional 11.2 percent have sentences longer than 20 years.

Human Rights Watch visited nine states and 20 prisons to interview prison officials, corrections and gerontology experts, and prisoners. Human Rights Watch found officials scrambling to respond to the needs and vulnerabilities of older prisoners. They are constrained, however, by straitened budgets, prison architecture not designed for common age-related disabilities, limited medical facilities and staff, lack of planning, lack of support from elected officials, and the press of day-to-day operations.

While serving time in prison can be hard for anyone, it is particularly challenging for the growing number of older prisoners who are frail, have mobility, hearing, and vision impairments, and are suffering chronic, disabling, and terminal illnesses or diminishing cognitive capacities, Human Rights Watch said.

Prison facilities, rules, and customs were created with younger inmates in mind, and they can pose special hardships for those who are well on in years. Walking a long distance to the dining hall, climbing up to a top bunk, or standing for count can be virtually impossible for some older prisoners. Incontinence and dementia impose their own burdens. In the prisons with high proportions of elderly prisoners visited for the report, Human Rights Watch found that staff behavior has had to adapt to the realities of aging bodies and minds.

“Prison staff who work with the elderly know it makes no sense to yell at a prisoner who doesn’t understand what they are saying,” Fellner said. “As one sergeant told me, staff have to give older prisoners ‘a little more leeway’ when it comes to enforcing the rules.”

The number of aging prisoners will continue to grow, Human Rights Watch found, unless there are changes to harsh “tough on crime” policies, such as long mandatory minimum sentences, increasing life sentences, and reduced opportunities for parole. Many older prisoners remain incarcerated even though they are too old and infirm to threaten public safety if released, Human Rights Watch said.

“How are justice and public safety served by the continued incarceration of men and women whose bodies and minds have been whittled away by age?” Fellner said.

Among its recommendations, Human Rights Watch urges state and federal officials to:

Review sentencing and release policies to determine which could be modified to reduce the growing population of older prisoners without risking public safety;
Develop comprehensive plans for housing, medical care, and programs for the current and projected populations of older prisoners; and
Modify prison rules that impose unnecessary hardship on older inmates.

Fact Sheet for “Old Behind Bars: The Aging Prison Population in the United States”

The Prison Population is Aging

The number of US state and federal prisoners age 65 or over grew at 94 times the rate of the total prison population between 2007 and 2010.
The number of prisoners age 65 or older increased by 63 percent. The total prison population increased by 0.7 percent. There are now 26,200 prisoners age 65 or older.
The number of US state and federal prisoners age 55 or older nearly quadrupled between 1995 and 2010, growing by 282 percent, while total number of prisoners grew by less than half, 42 percent.
There are now 124,400 prisoners age 55 or older.
As of 2010, 8 percent of the prisoner population was 55 or older, compared with 3 percent in 1995.
The proportion of prisoners age 55 and over varied among individual states from 4.2 percent in Connecticut to 9.9 percent in Oregon.
Fourteen percent of federal prisoners are age 51 or older.

Lengthy Sentences Propel Aging Prisoner Population

Of state prisoners age 51 or older, 40.6 percent have sentences ranging anywhere between more than 20 years to life.
One in ten state prisonersis serving a life sentence.
Fifteen percent of state prisoners age 61 or older have been in prison more than 20 years.
In New York,28 percent of those age 60 or over have been in prison continuously for 20 or more years.
Eleven percent of federal prisoners age 51 or older are serving sentences ranging from 30 years to life. There is no federal parole.

Much Higher Medical Expenditures for Older Prisoners

Depending on the state, medical expenditures for older prisoners are three to nine times as high as for other prisoners.

In Florida, the 16 percent of the prison population age 50 or over accounts for 40.1 percent of all episodes of medical care and 47.9 percent of all hospital days.

In Georgia, incarcerated people age 65 years or older had an average yearly medical cost of $8,565, compared with the average of $961 for those under 65.

In Michigan, the average annual health care cost for a prison inmate has been estimated at $5,801; the cost increases with their age, from $11,000 for those age 55-59 to $40,000 for those age 80 or older.

Number and proportion of older prisoners and their sentences: In addition to national statistics, the report contains data for 24 individual states with particularly detailed information for California, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

Medical Expenditures for Older Prisoners: The report contains data on prison medical expenditures in California, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, and Texas.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How much are you willing to bet that private prisons have almost no aging prisoners to take care of by dumping them off onto state prisons?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nm posted:

I don't disagree that you shouldn't have to list felonies on job apps unless they're specifically related (DUI for driving jobs, fraud for banks and such). The searches also need to be better regulated. There are thousands of people who show up on federal background checks (not just the lovely private ones) as convicted when cases were dismissed or even never filed.

That's how it is in my country. It's very few jobs that requires you to show a criminal record (mostly school or security job related) and an employer can only see the parts of it that are specifically related to that job. Otherwise it's illegal for an employer to demand that he should see your criminal record.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That's how it is in my country. It's very few jobs that requires you to show a criminal record (mostly school or security job related) and an employer can only see the parts of it that are specifically related to that job. Otherwise it's illegal for an employer to demand that he should see your criminal record.

There are many here in America who would say that your country is less free than ours, on account of that policy.

Decipher that paradox, and you will learn a lot about America.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Doesn't it make sense to ask about criminal records for those who are going to be, say, working with children or the eldery/sick people, though?

Granted I suppose it's too much to hope that a child rapist would voluntarily report themselves as such.....

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Astrofig posted:

Doesn't it make sense to ask about criminal records for those who are going to be, say, working with children or the eldery/sick people, though?

Granted I suppose it's too much to hope that a child rapist would voluntarily report themselves as such.....
That's why everyone adds "unless it's related to the job".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Astrofig posted:

That's why

quote:

It's very few jobs that requires you to show a criminal record (mostly school or security job related) and an employer can only see the parts of it that are specifically related to that job.

You don't want the guy who jacked it in a playground full of kids working in an elementary school, but does it matter if someone cheated on their taxes or sold some pot if they want to change bedpans?

When you apply for a security clearance, they are really picky about criminal records. Having one makes it tougher to get a clearance (you'd better be able to explain yourself and convince them it won't happen again), and if you try and hide anything (and fail, I guess) it's impossible to get it. The reason I heard for this is they don't want anyone to be able to blackmail you with something you did in the past (though it still leaves the possibility of something for which you were never caught). Ironically, the obsession with criminal records and the consequences of having one...the identification forever of someone as a "felon" before anything else...makes it easier to blackmail people.

In a country where your criminal record is sealed once you're done with your sentence, and where having a criminal record doesn't carry the same stigma...if there are no consequences to people finding out about your record, blackmail is a lot harder.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 30, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Astrofig posted:

Yes, but in those cases asking the person for a copy of their police clearance makes much more sense than having a public shame list.

Particularly considering that the absolute vast majority of pedophilia is familial or friend-of-family type stuff, not random creeper leaping out of the bushes sort of nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A.S.H. posted:

Why don't we have offender registries for other types of criminals, like con artists? I'd very much like to know people who have committed perjury or otherwise have been found of being criminal dishonest or abusing peoples trust in other manners, but we don't apply these conditions to those convicted.
Violent Crime Offenders Registration Act - but this one is not enforced.

Methamphetamine Offender Registry Act - at the moment, accessable only by pharmacists.

• Locked thread