Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

king street station by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

(cross-posted from SAD)

brewery block by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Untitled by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

More people standing in elevators. I'm not sure why I find this compelling but I do.

The Only Surviving Frame From The Escape Of Test Subjects 6 & 11 by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Crip Walkin' by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Astronaut 451-B Removed His Helmet and Succumbed In His Rover Moments Later by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
TQR, your titles definitely make the pictures. Love it.

samjack56
Dec 26, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

A practical but non-academic interest in perceptual expectancy. To me, photography is engaging because when you reallly break it down we have the capability to pluck out a single moment from all the continuous moments that create time, preserve it and present it to other humans who did not or could not observe it.

Someone smart once told me "your eye is not your own". What he meant was that any piece of art I encounter was influenced by the artist's own experiences and everyone before who influenced him. He wasn't saying that everybody is ripping off everyone else, but that someone prior has already defined your sense of aesthetics as observer or creator. I've always liked that and it has led to collecting (even if only mentally) and noticing things I find interesting.

So we have the capacity to freeze time unrelenting and the ability to affect other people through our decisions of what to show or not show and how we present our little square slices of frozen time. Time! I marvel.

As for the second photo, that is part of the actual box for a doll named "Saucy". Saucy makes horrific demon faces at you when you rotate her arm 360 degrees. The photo is in black and white so the unnecessary information has been stripped away. I leaned the box back a bit to give me some DOF. The girl on the box is depicted as squealing in delight but we rely so heavily on total visual language that when you obfuscate the mouth of a wide eyed human, joy becomes terror. Parlor tricks.

As I've expended too many words above explaining, context is everything.

Scrub forward to about the one minute mark for some nightmare fuel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNMYGBER6k

I like the way you think and how you were taught.

Some more random ones of mine. HTC Inspire.

Almost squished him. by samjack56, on Flickr

Half his size and can still throw him. by samjack56, on Flickr

Cute lense hood. by samjack56, on Flickr

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~

new year, no sleep, never been better by f #, on Flickr

it's somewhere downtown by f #, on Flickr

cut through the capital on a cold day by f #, on Flickr

I always feel like pictures look real great on the phone but then I see them bigger on a computer screen and feel like they're too grainy or too yellow or too blue or something and not wanting to share them with the world!

But I gotta get over it to get better, I suppose.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Possibly the best Hipstamatic update ever:

What's New in Version 235
NEW FEATURES

Favorites - Save lens/flash/film combos for quick and easy access from the camera back

• Tap and hold to focus (when zoomed in to viewfinder)

• New HipstaSave technology to recover any prints that weren't finished processing in the event of an app crash

BUG FIXES

Fixes a bug that caused 'winding film roll' messages to appear frequently

• Fixes a bug that could cause a crash on launch in iOS 4.3

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eggplant posted:

What's New in Version 235
NEW FEATURES

Favorites - Save lens/flash/film combos for quick and easy access from the camera back

Thank loving god. I've been waiting for this feature forever.

EDIT: Argh, they forgot to include a way to edit the favourites.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 25, 2012

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

QPZIL posted:

TQR, your titles definitely make the pictures. Love it.

It belies my desire to invent narratives. I've entertained notions of staging scenes but the longer I spend zeroing in on what I find interesting and refining how I present that, the more I hold fast that interacting with things is how you spoil them. I started out avoiding taking photos of people because I couldn't figure out how to approach doing that but now it's almost what I prefer. Only when they don't know a camera is there though, because awareness of that changes everything and that is why I like using a cell phone so much or the X100 if I'm in an environment where a camera isn't unexpected.

As far as titles go, there is an underlying theme even if I don't do a good job of pushing it. Creating a narrative is roughly half the fun and for me, practically the point. If I take a photograph of something and it has to stand on it's own aesthetic or I feel that it doesn't show something that would have normally gone unnoticed, I hate it and it feels pointless and I'll invariably savage it. That really only applies to me though, I quite enjoy looking at anything posted in this here subforum. Every day is a perpetual show and tell day with lots of people sharing little views of what they saw.

HPL posted:

Thank loving god. I've been waiting for this feature forever.

EDIT: Argh, they forgot to include a way to edit the favourites.

If you select the star and hold your finger down on one of your saved favorites you can delete a favorite and recreate it. Not quite the same, the favorites feature is nice but the implementation is quite sloppy.

Edit: whoops, I forgot to contribute:

Sad Cowboy Delivery by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 26, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Sad Cowboy Delivery by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr
Oh man, I really want to know what's in the box...

on the bus by Trip Sixes, on Flickr
(cross-posted from the street photography thread)

Every time I try and get creative with naming my images, someone calls it out as a bad thing, I guess I need to just sac up and take it with a shrug.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I like taking pics of food.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pit stop while bringing my new scooter home from Nagasaki today.

Why I'm glad I have a camera with me all the time in this country. That :stare: of terror.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A few more from the 4S/Olloclip- drat this little thing is handy.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 30, 2012

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Oh man, I really want to know what's in the box...

An inflatable horse perhaps.

Taking The Auspices by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Chicken Lady Superhero [A Story In Three Frames] by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Tried out the accessory lenses I got for my phone for Christmas today (first real snow day of the year). The lens is already a little wide, so the result is vignetting on the regular wide angle, and super-vignetting on the fisheye. Works great on my Flip HD though, glad each lens came with multiple little magnetic rings.

Untitled by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Without lens:

Snow Day by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The photos in this thread are great, and have inspired me to do more with my 4s. Are there any good guides on iPhone photography? I've just been messing around with instagram.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Snow Day by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

The body language in this is hostile, I love it.

triplexpac posted:

The photos in this thread are great, and have inspired me to do more with my 4s. Are there any good guides on iPhone photography? I've just been messing around with instagram.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you looking for app advice?

Tough Guys by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

The Shame of Thomas by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

An Unapproachable Creator by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

The Pall Of Worry by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Barnstormer by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Got an iPhone 4S last night and the sun looked cool on the lake this morning.

Sunrise #nofilter #noprocessing #iphone4s #sooc by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

This is straight out of the camera. Color me impressed.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
There is a new case and lens freepak for Hipstamatic available until February 16th if that is your wont.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ThisQuietReverie posted:

There is a new case and lens freepak for Hipstamatic available until February 16th if that is your wont.

Thank you my man

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I'm very new to photography. Or: I used to play around with an analogue camera, but having the negatives developed, scanning them, editing each one on the computer and then printing them out was just too much of a hassle. Got my first smartphone (iphone 4) less than a year ago and I'm really into taking pictures now, it's weird that it's taken a smartphone rather than a camera to get me so into it. I've recently taken to uploading a few of them to tumblr, mainly because I was suddenly kinda proud of a few of them and wanted to show them off :)

Here are some of mine

Shot with the Camera app, but slightly edited with the Camera+ app.

Shot with the Camera app, no editing.

Shot with the Camera app, but heavily "colour crossed" edited with the Camera+ app.

Hope you like them.
I sure liked most of the pictures in this thread!

edit: I am so buying snapseed right now! :)

prinneh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 11, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

My new wheels

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
edit-- nevermind

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, Cinemagram is just way too much fun to play around with.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Taken with TrueHDR, edited a bit with Touch Retouch and snapseed.

While TrueHDR is really good and all, it's kindof hard to hold my iPhone still enough for it to get really sharp that way.

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012
Shot this a couple years ago on a blackberry curve (horrible camera phone), but we were partying here in Vegas and were taking pics and I happen to catch my extremely intoxicated friend falling down the escalator, by far my favorite Cell phone photo I have caught. Not good on quality, but high on comedy.

Sorry photo may not have loaded right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rylo/6893510623/in/photostream

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

relish_fetish posted:

Shot this a couple years ago on a blackberry curve (horrible camera phone), but we were partying here in Vegas and were taking pics and I happen to catch my extremely intoxicated friend falling down the escalator, by far my favorite Cell phone photo I have caught. Not good on quality, but high on comedy.

Sorry photo may not have loaded right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rylo/6893510623/in/photostream

That is classic. Don't want to hijack with a photo taken by my point & shoot, but this reminded me of the best timed shot I ever took. A friend of mine surprising a fully clothed friend of mine with a GORE GORE GORE~! into the water below.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

With a Samsung Galaxy S2X. Poor kitty going to my mom's for babysitting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Took some snapshots of the odd weather we've been having the past few days with my new phone (droid bionic). Camera is so much nicer on this, although I miss the shutter button.

Fallout on Campus by MrDespair, on Flickr

The Usual Weather by MrDespair, on Flickr

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Just snapped this from parking lot yesterday. The cameraphone doesn't do that blue justice. Both me and my dad just stood there and kept staring at the sky.

IMAG0182 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Oh hello cell phone photo thread! I took this series a while ago with my iPhone + CrossProcess, and I think they're still my favorite pictures I've taken.

IMG_0614 by ghableska, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by ghableska, on Flickr

IMG_0627 by ghableska, on Flickr

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Has anyone tried the smugmug Camera Awesome-app?

How does it compare to Camera+?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Prathm posted:

Has anyone tried the smugmug Camera Awesome-app?

How does it compare to Camera+?
It's pretty good considering it's free and it's a first release. I think it needs a little work interface-wise as it gets a little clunky to use, but that should get worked out in time given that the whole idea behind the app was sort of giving people what they want.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
excuse the windshield smudge.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Ritual by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Halfcamera app. It's fun, you should try it.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

Untitled by Ciro-Flex, on Flickr

Instagram auto-contrast is a little ridiculous but hey that's what makes it fun.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

the fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ghableska posted:

Oh hello cell phone photo thread! I took this series a while ago with my iPhone + CrossProcess, and I think they're still my favorite pictures I've taken.

IMG_0614 by ghableska, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by ghableska, on Flickr

IMG_0627 by ghableska, on Flickr

These are great- love the tones.