Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Got a manicure and pedicure :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I'm on vacation. Bitches.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Talked to a cute girl on the bus, might see her again next Tuesday or Thursday.

Also played with 2 ex-NHL players, one from the Whalers and one from the Islanders.

Didn't know which was more noteworthy, so I listed them chronologically.

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
Yesterday: My training for my first 5k included leading the pack and climbing a super steep hill (I didn't lead for long after that :-P), but the best was that I got a gift certificate good for a 1/2 hour of ground school training and a 1/2 hour flight training aboard a helicopter! (Schweizer 300C)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got my new football top through the post at lunchtime today. Its not a specific team or anything, just a generic red colour with my name and the number 9 on the back and its slightly too small for me but I still can't wait to go play football with it on Sunday.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I graduated in December and now, barring anything crazy happening, probably have a job in my field.
------
To: Everybody who ever told me that English degrees were only good for teaching
Re: Dicks

Suck them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My grandparents were abusive to my mom to the point where she ran away from home and was emancipated at 16. They were rich, so my uncle got everything handed to him on a silver platter, whereas my mom worked her way through an MBA. My family has always been relatively poor compared to his. My grandfather died a few years ago, and my grandmother is dying now. My mom has been going down to Florida for a week every other month to assist her while my uncle visits for a couple days a year, and by a couple days I mean he visits her for five minutes and then hits the beach. My uncle is getting just enough in inheritance to not completely crash and burn from his bankruptcy(he started a business on a personal loan :doh:), and my mom is getting enough to pay off our mortgage, my mom's best friend's(Who is in major debt due to the death of her husband) mortgage and enough to help finish sending me through college. You were a terrible person up until almost the very end, but thanks Grandma. :unsmith:

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Finished an urgent commission in time and got a lot of praise for my art. It feels good to get that every once in a while.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
I've been hitting the MMJ really hard lately because my stomach seems to think that "being hungry" is actually "time to puke" and MMJ is the only thing that makes it behave normally. I figured I could do one of two things: Smoke as much as I need to each day, which carves out a big chunk of time I have to spend stoned and/or asleep; or, the option I chose, which is to smoke more than I need for three days and sleep like crazy, write off work for those three days, and hopefully alternate that with a few days of consistent lucidity and comfort with only minute amounts of MMJ ingestion before I go to bed so I can just sleep through my trip.

This alternating thing is working. I woke up, I was hungry but it wasn't too painful and I could eat without taking more MMJ, and I'm getting my entire week's work done in one night because I feel that super. In my world, that's a significant victory.

It's been an adjustment with this new drug regimen, and I'm glad that I seem to be finding a way to work with it without the side effects completely killing my productivity.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Finally finally finally figured out some direction on a project at work that was drifting/in limbo. Meant staying late today to finish the proposal and hopefully my boss/the higher ups like it but I'm happy that there is a good direction now!

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Jan 27 2012
- Today is awesome because I fleshed out more ideas for the comic and was able to iron out some old problems. Also added another page. I'm treading carefully for now due to not knowing much about comics, but I like the fact that I'm actually doing something.
- I've barely even started and I've already come up with the best advertising banner ever. Maybe someday when the comic's well under way I'll use it. Or maybe I'll come up with an even better one, but I'm not sure how you can top that.

Lady of the Beech has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Jan 28, 2012

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
-Got 16$ from my seemingly small coin jar that i've kept around for a few months. (I expected like 5$ with all those pennies)
-Did a few photography assignments in the riverbed near my backyard, realized how much it resembles Zaton from S.T.A.L.K.E.R
-Went out of town with friends and caught up on a lot of stories
-Laser tag because it just never gets old
-Getting 2nd place out of 15 on laser tag :cool:
-Spent a few hours hanging out at the promenade
-Enjoyed a midnight Dennys meal

Basically just had a really fun Friday afternoon, night, and early Saturday morning.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I work nights at a large machine shop. My day shift coworker complained to our supervisor that I wasn't leaving enough work for him in the mornings. Supervisor then told me to "share the load" so to speak. My night shift manager said screw him, keep up the good work. I was basically told that I am too awesome and I need to stop being so awesome OR ELSE!!!

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's my birthday today. I am 24 :). How will I celebrate?

BY GOING TO THE GYM AND POWERLIFTING, rear end TO THE GRASS SQUATS. GOD I LOVE THIS SPORT! :black101:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

It's my birthday today. I am 24 :). How will I celebrate?

BY GOING TO THE GYM AND POWERLIFTING, rear end TO THE GRASS SQUATS. GOD I LOVE THIS SPORT! :black101:

You own, happy birthday man.

Why is today awesome? I got picked up by a drop dead gorgeous woman. Now to go running or powerlifting, and she will join me for both because she is a fitness geek. <3

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Jan 28 2012
- My cat is officially done with her antibiotics course. Yay!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I made rice pudding today and it came out perfectly. Going to try an apple oatmeal raisin cookie recipe sometime this week. I love baking. :3:

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

I found a Where's George dollar in my wallet. Tracking that mofo.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Frozen yogurt for dinner and watched Nip/tuck with my bf.
High rollin.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Jan 29 2012

Today was awesome because a friend of mine adopted a cat!

The cat was practically rescued from what just wasn't a good environment for a cat in between two energetic kids, a very energetic dog, grain-based cat food, and adults who just do not understand cats the way they do dogs.

I mean they were nice, but they weren't cat people. His fur's heavily matted (probably due to stress--if cats are constantly stressed out they may not groom themselves well) and he's overweight with some apparent stomach problems. He's in much better hands now.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My hard drive managed to hang in there over the weekend, new one comes in tomorrow morning. :toot:

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Got a new screen protector for my phone after the underbelly of my car seat shredded the other one, and I managed to put it on perfectly.

The coffee creamer I opened today is amazing and I've been putting it in basically everything. (International Delight Hershey's Chocolate Caramel.)

My boyfriend surprised me with ~$30 of teas he bought me on his week-long business trip to Boston and we spent an awesome weekend of cuddling and movie watching :3:

edit: Oh, and I have an interview at a place tomorrow after not having a job for over a year. It's for the local Tim Horton's. Not the design position I've been hoping for, but I will take anything at this point. Might even be fun, who knows!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And now my computer no longer sounds like grinding death whenever I turn it on. Hurrah!

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Jan 30 2012
- Today is awesome because I finally took the burden of depressed attention whore off my forum, and now he's just in my inbox since his one motivation to get better is to join the community and the only way he's getting back is through me. In addition, I may be making a breakthrough to him thanks to the fact that he's finally in contact with the hotline I recommended to him! He says he's going to use the technique of positive speech in order to make himself feel better. He still has a long way to go but I'm glad that he's finally starting to make progress after being stuck in this depressing cycle of attention-seeking pity since 2006.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I shut down my facebook page, deleted some contacts from my phone and have severed from some really frustrating situations. Tonight I'm going to buy new running shoes and the store I'm heading to has a pub run night. A pub run! Go running then get a drink? Sign me up :)

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Today was the first day of the semester, and all of the classes were awesome. I'm really excited for them.

I also got most of my books in the mail, including a novel by one of my favorite authors. He looks adorable on the back cover. :3:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
My PTO was approved for my free trip to Cancun courtesy of my boyfriend's job! :buddy: Excited!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Accepted into a university for 2012. This is my first positive event/'victory' that's happened in my life since 2008. It's going to be a good year! :) :) :) :)

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I have had the best day today, and it has been a long time since I've had even a good day. Today was over-the-top excellent.
My mom came through her surgery alright which means things at home are going to change and we might be able to leave my abusive dad, yay! After I visted her some at the hospital, I got a wild hair up my rear end and decided to go to the college and see if I could get anywhere as far as getting my issue dealt with.
My issue, specifically, is that back in 08-09, I had been attending classes but dropped out rather suddenly due to some serious issues with depression. Survival came first, school was the last thing I had on my mind, and I just.. stopped showing up one day.
I was out of school for two years before I started back in September of last year. I didn't exactly breeze through the classes, and speech class drat near (literally) killed me, but I did manage to pass and I was feeling great.
That is until I tried to enroll for classes this semester and found out that stupid math class had come back to haunt me. See, in my state (the great state of Florida lol), if you fail a class twice, in order to take it again, you have to pay out of state tuition. This meant for a class that was doing nothing but proving to the college that I could do the material, was going to cost me $2000. The class didn't count towards credit, there are no payment options such as paying month by month, I have no kind of credit card to pay it with, and my parents weren't helping me either. With the amount of money my dad makes I don't qualify for loans or grants or financial aid, and I'm too young for Pell Grants. Even though I don't get to see any of the money that my dad makes, I was being screwed over because of his salary.
The school's website states that they do make exceptions in cases of things that are beyond your control or in cases of illness (mental included), and you can appeal a failed class, but it has to be within one year of the failed class. So I'm screwed again.
I went to several people at the school and begged and pleaded with them but the attitude I got from everyone was basically, "it isn't my problem, go talk to someone else." I was even told by the dean of the campus I was taking classes at that I could attend at another community college, but wasn't told that my GPA was not high enough to transfer over, and that the class would still cost the same amount of money, and even if by some stroke of luck I managed to get into the other college, there was no guarantee that the class would transfer over and I'd be screwed, again.
I'd basically resigned myself to not try anymore at school until today. My boyfriend -- who is employed with the school as a tutor -- had attended a training class on Friday that happened to go over some of the services available to students. One service was for disabled students, or students with special needs. It involves counselling for students who are in situations like mine with anxiety and depression. He mentioned to me today the name of the lady who headed-up the training on Friday and just on a whim, I decided to go and talk to her. From there, I got sent to a woman from services for disabled students. I spoke with her and was able to get a little more information about dealing with the math class, as well as information on how to file as disabled with the school. Score one point.
From there, I was sent to a dean of Student Success and Services, who was able to override the hold on my school account with the math. Score two. I told him that I was already on academic probation, and if I wasn't able to take classes this semester, I would be on suspension and not be able to take classes until fall. He told me to email him reference numbers for the classes I was planning on taking this semester and he would guarantee me a seat in each of the classes. Score three.
But what about the math class? We waited outside of his office for a little bit while he went and spoke with the head dead for the entire campus, until he welcomed us into his office.
The dean, THE DEAN, apologized to ME, was shaking his head and was absolutely disgusted at the treatment I'd received. He could not believe that in all the time I had been going to school that I had never once been referred to anyone at Student Success Services or the disabled services on campus, much less any kind of counselling or anything like that. I mentioned that I'd even told my teachers about my anxiety issues before the classes began, and was basically ignored when I asked for some help. The speech class especially. I guess the teacher just thought it was normal "oh my god speech class!!!" anxiety and that's why she brushed me off, but after my first speech in that class, I got home and had a panic attack so bad that it almost put me in the ER.
The dean told me many times that he was very sorry, and to send him an email giving the names of the people I spoke to at the previous campus and times when the incidents happened. He said, "When issues like this come to my attention, I will bring the offenders into my office. And my door will close."
He lifted the hold on my account and would allow me to take classes this semester, and told me that he wanted me to take a 16 week math course in the fall. "I don't want you to take a 12 week course. I don't even want you to take a 14 week course. I believe that you know you can do the material, but I think you need a little time to adjust and calm down. You come to me when you're ready to register for fall classes, and I will put you in a class. Class full? I will find you a seat in that class."
I was just floored. It's been quite a while since I've had that level of respect paid to me, quite a while since anyone had apologized to ME and not blamed me for mistakes that weren't mine. I could not thank this man enough, nor any of the people I spoke to today. If I had a lot of money, I would buy them each anything they wanted.
I think today was just the push I needed to get back into school and get this poo poo done. I'm tired of being a minimum wage cashier, being treated like poo poo each and every day by people who are angry that we're out of their specific type of cereal, being poo poo all over by managers who couldn't give a rat's rear end if I killed myself or not. I'm ready to get this ball rolling and get an education and do something that I love doing for the rest of my life.

Today was a good day.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

silversiren posted:

Sweet justice.

Happy for you SS. I read your rants in the Retail thread and you deserve the world.

Not much to report for my day (work...) but my night has so far included a tall White Russian, a home-cooked meal, the Simpsons, and finding out good friends got admitted to their desired academic programs. Now I'm-a apply for jobs like the world is ending if I don't.

u: no job applications, but finally put together my office after being in this apartment for five months. And a friend from college invited me to his Super Bowl party (we have no TV so we were trying to negotiate watching the game and making sure to catch the commercials). He was in the class below me and that class is super-tight and hangs out often, so it's nice to be invited to chill with them and watch the game for that day (we only talk here and there normally). We'll totally make it worth their while.

Christe Eleison has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jan 31, 2012

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Happy for you SS. I read your rants in the Retail thread and you deserve the world.

Thanks. It might not seem like much, but at this point any support I get is much much appreciated. :)

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

silversiren posted:

Wall o' aboutdamntime awesomeness and win!!!
Today was a good day.

Reading this right here, this made my day. I'm slogging through this downswing with my depression, and waiting for the clinic visit ( 13 Feb, come on baby!) and reading this was AWESOME.

PM me and I'll send you a card, man. :) Happiness and support from a random goon is always good.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Today was awesome because I picked up some great new :420: that had me melting into my couch earlier.

And making the day even better was getting to bang this gorgeous Iranian girl that I've been seeing for a while. First time sex is usually awkward but this was loving incredible. She's such a freak.

Tomorrow I'm seeing her again and its gonna be another good day. :feelsgood:

Demon Of The Fall has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Jan 31, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I spent my time on probation applying for jobs, instead of being a shithead on the internet, and I'm getting a lot of positive responses.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Finally worked up the courage to ask out the girl in my anthro class, and she said yes!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
It is my birthday, just got back from Nashville!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

silversiren posted:

Thanks. It might not seem like much, but at this point any support I get is much much appreciated. :)

Have some support from across the globe then. I'm following the retail thread too and just wanted to say it's about time karma came back to you. I just with I could reach through the Internet and hug you like you deserve. :)

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Jan 31 2012
- Today is awesome because I just finished a series I've been watching on and off since November/Decemberish. :) The day is still very young though so maybe something else will happen that will also make this day awesome.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Today is awesome becuase of the time off I have booked this week and next. I have a dentists checkup on Wednesday at 5pm. Perfect excuse for an afternoon off. I also got my long weekend booked this weekend which will tie quite nicely with Metal Gear HD Collection coming out on the friday. Or FF13-2 if I feel like a fag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Just found out I got into the masters program that I wanted! Girlfriend took me out to dinner at my favorite Chinese restaurant in town to celebrate. Double awesome.