Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of recipes will call you autolyzing, which is where you mix the flour and water and let it rest before adding the other ingredients. The allows for the flour to get fully hydrated and some natural gluten development to happen before you begin kneading. There is also oxidation that occurs while kneading, and the autolyzing allows for the gluten to start to develop without the effects of oxidation.

That being said, I've found that autolyzing can help make low hydration doughs a little easier to work with, but I can't say I can tell any difference in the finished product.

As for the salt, at high enough concentrations it can kill yeast (like you wouldn't want to put your salt in with the yeast that you're proofing before you add it) but beyond that I don't see why you wouldn't just add it into the dry ingredients. With instant yeast, I generally just mix the flour, salt and yeast in the workbowl before I add the wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey y'all! A friend of mine is having a birthday this coming weekend and I volunteered to cook her whatever she wished. She mentioned duck! Now I've never cooked duck before so I'd appreciate any guidance. I know I definitely don't want to do Peking duck because there's a restaurant nearby that's known throughout the state for their Peking duck and we could just go there for that.

The dinner will be a few courses for 5-6 people, if that helps.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CzarChasm posted:

In regards to salt killing yeast, I've not heard that before and I can't think of any bread recipes that asked me to add it after the rest of the dough comes together.

Thought about this, and I would like to know if a handful of dust is using table salt or sea/kosher salt. The iodine in table salt can kill yeast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Duck is one of those things best cooked in it's component pieces. Sousvizzle the breasts (or make duck breast prosciutto) and confit the legs (or make duck rilette).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Macaroni posted:

The Sriracha won't really go "bad" (i.e. rot) but it will definitely lose its zing faster when not refrigerated.
It'll also gradually lose some of its colour, for whatever that's worth.

a handful of dust posted:

In the Bread Bible she says never to add salt until right before kneading, since it supposedly kills yeast. The Bakers Companion says it doesn't really matter when you add the salt, and usually has you mix all the dry ingredients together at once, before adding liquid and mixing, kneading, etc.
Killing your yeast off with the salt is one of those things that theoretically could be a problem but in practice I just wouldn't worry about. A high concentration of salt will definitely kill yeast or impede its growth, but any loaf of bread you'd be willing to eat won't have that much salt in it. So apart from mixing your yeast and salt directly together or something like that, I wouldn't really sweat it. If your bread is rising appropriately, that's all you really need to worry about.

a handful of dust posted:

Most of their recipes don't mention an autolyse, either, whereas Beranbaum gives almost every dough in her book a 20 minute rest before kneading.
Whether or not you want to autolyse your bread depends on what kind of bread you're trying to make. In general you'll get a more open crumb with dough that's been autolysed, so if that's what you're going for, autolysing is almost always a good idea. It's also a good idea with sourdough or other breads that have a strong starter, as the levain will be acidic enough that it will affect gluten bond development.

But it really isn't a question of right or wrong, unless you're just trying to reproduce a specific bread (and so your `success' or `failure' is denominated entirely in terms of similarity rather than whether or not it's any good on its own merits). My advice is that you do a couple of loaves each way and see which way you prefer. Pretty good approach to cooking in general, for that matter.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

razz posted:

I know that if cheese gets moldy, it's perfectly fine to cut off the moldy and eat the cheese. But what about cream cheese, are the rules different because it's so soft?

My opened block of cream cheese has a dime-sized patch of blue/green mold on it. Is it safe to eat if I eat around the mold? I hope you guys say yes because I already ate a bunch of it.
Generally the harder the cheese, the safer you are throwing away the moldy bit and eating the rest. Personally I would chuck a cream cheese, fresh mozzarella, or soft rind cheese that had visible mold on it. But if it didn't smell like a zombie, you're probably not going to die.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm probably going to be in Seattle around the start of March and looking for some recommendations for places to eat at. I'll be around the Tacoma Convention centre and will be looking for a good Coffee shop, a good cheap/mid priced place for lunch/breakfast and a place for dinner. I'd like to avoid chain places if possible.

Any suggestions Seattle-ites?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a couple bottles of Almond champagne *ahem* sparkling wine, from TJ's leftover from new year's eve. Can anyone recommend a recipe?

I don't drink wine, but I like it in sauces in stews. Is there anything I should avoid doing with almond champagne or should i go nuts with whatever recipes i find with just champagne in them?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like champagne as a braising liquid for pork, personally.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Very Strange Things posted:

If you don't refrigerate Sriracha (at least the Huy Fong squeeze bottles) then sometimes gas builds up in them and a crust forms over the hole in the cocksauce nozzle.
If one does not exercise caution when opening the spout, this can result in an eye full of chili sauce.

If you give the bottle a quick squeeze when it is upright, after you've used it and before you close the spout, it will blorp out that tiny bit of sauce. Wipe it off before putting it away and you will greatly reduce the amount of crust and buildup.

The more you know....

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Beef Wellington: How long in advance can I prep it? I'm thinking that I'd be fine leaving the beef-fungi-parm roll it in the fridge overnight and then doing the puff pastry on the day - any issues with that?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm probably going to be in Seattle around the start of March and looking for some recommendations for places to eat at. I'll be around the Tacoma Convention centre and will be looking for a good Coffee shop, a good cheap/mid priced place for lunch/breakfast and a place for dinner. I'd like to avoid chain places if possible.

Any suggestions Seattle-ites?

Tacoma or Seatlle? They are 30 min away and Tacoma will have a lot less options than Seattle.
P.S. Tacoma smells like rotten eggs. No, really.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

razz posted:

I know that if cheese gets moldy, it's perfectly fine to cut off the moldy and eat the cheese. But what about cream cheese, are the rules different because it's so soft?

My opened block of cream cheese has a dime-sized patch of blue/green mold on it. Is it safe to eat if I eat around the mold? I hope you guys say yes because I already ate a bunch of it.

If it's something soft, I scoop out a really huge area around it just to feel safe. Chances are it's a benign mold. Though someone else have might have something more in depth to say, though. The harder the cheese (well item in general) the less likely you are to have issues with mold if you cut it off.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

I hard-boiled a bunch of eggs and one of them was really weird. The yolk had a strange texture, almost like a sponge and was oddly chewy. It wasn't creamy and smooth like a normal yolk. What could have caused it to be like that? The eggs came from a lady in town with backyard chickens, not from a store. I've eaten dozens of eggs from this lady and this was the first one that was weird.

From the last page, but in case you're still wondering,

My educated guess is that you got an egg with mixed rot. an egg yolk can occasionally burst while still inside the shell, and once that happens it begins to degrade pretty quickly. If you get it from the store, by that point the egg would be green, and will have diffused into the albumen. Since you got it from a backyard hen I'm guessing it was pretty fresh, and not yet rotten or diffused. I've never cooked an egg that had that going on, but I'd imagine it would be pretty funky texturally. I find a mixed rot probably once for every 10 thousand eggs I see, but I look at them after they've been scanned by a 5 million dollar machine to get rid of those. Even for backyard flocks it should be rare though.

It's also possible that it was just a strange egg. If the hens are heirloom varieties they may not necessarily have been bred for their egg laying properties, and sometimes you just get one with a weak shell, funky shape, double yolk, or other abnormality.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

Beef Wellington: How long in advance can I prep it? I'm thinking that I'd be fine leaving the beef-fungi-parm roll it in the fridge overnight and then doing the puff pastry on the day - any issues with that?

That'll work just fine.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

kiteless posted:

Tacoma or Seatlle? They are 30 min away and Tacoma will have a lot less options than Seattle.
P.S. Tacoma smells like rotten eggs. No, really.

Tacoma, I'll be hanging around the Greater Tacoma Convention centre for the Magic GP Seattle most likely.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Thanks for the info, everybody! So far this week, I've eaten a rotten egg and moldy cream cheese. Right now I'm eating a potato that's mushy way past its prime. What should I try next? Spoiled meat? Curdled milk?

I just can't stand to throw away food :(

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Help! I need some ideas for a dinner and maybe dessert to make for my husband's grandparents. His step-grandpa is recovering from pneumonia, so he's on a no salt diet with a very limited fluid intake and he's a diabetic, so it's really throwing my amateur cooking skills for a loop.

I'd prefer something I could prep in advance and finish cooking at their house, but it's about an hour drive from our place to theirs, and ~40 minutes if I prep at his mom's house and we all drive together [after a 40 minute drive to hers]. If it's something that could be prepped and cooked in less than 90 minutes altogether, I could just cook it at their house, but it would definitely have to be something that doesn't require a lot of clean up afterwards.

I am just drawing a total blank because every idea I have that works well for diabetics won't work with the liquid and salt restrictions and vice versa. Help me internets :(

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

1up posted:

Help! I need some ideas for a dinner and maybe dessert to make for my husband's grandparents. His step-grandpa is recovering from pneumonia, so he's on a no salt diet with a very limited fluid intake and he's a diabetic, so it's really throwing my amateur cooking skills for a loop.

I'd prefer something I could prep in advance and finish cooking at their house, but it's about an hour drive from our place to theirs, and ~40 minutes if I prep at his mom's house and we all drive together [after a 40 minute drive to hers]. If it's something that could be prepped and cooked in less than 90 minutes altogether, I could just cook it at their house, but it would definitely have to be something that doesn't require a lot of clean up afterwards.

I am just drawing a total blank because every idea I have that works well for diabetics won't work with the liquid and salt restrictions and vice versa. Help me internets :(

I remember an article in some vague magazine that mentions using very finely chopped cilantro, lemon zest, and finely minced garlic in equal parts as an alternative to salt to season food with. I've tried it on shrimp before and it comes out fine, but I'm not sure if that would do any good on anything else. Maybe fish?

edit: Do you have any Asian markets nearby? Maybe you can try using five spice powder. I had to bake a chicken once with a salt + 5 spice powder rub, but I forgot the salt, and it didn't taste horribly bad (would of been better with salt obviously), I think if you can get your hands on some of the more pungent ingredients in the five spice powder like cinnamon or star anise, add more of those to try to compensate. It should go okay on poultry. Also can he have any salt substitutes like potassium chloride, or does that make him thirsty too?

Just a thought, I'm a really nubbie cook too. Hopefully a more experienced GWS goon can help you out :S

nescience fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 31, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Potassium chloride is available at groceries (labeled as NoSalt or some other salt substitute). For some people it tastes close to the real thing, for others it seems to be very bitter.

If not maybe you can just raise the amount of spices/herbs you use to compensate for a lack of salt.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kenning posted:

Hey y'all! A friend of mine is having a birthday this coming weekend and I volunteered to cook her whatever she wished. She mentioned duck! Now I've never cooked duck before so I'd appreciate any guidance. I know I definitely don't want to do Peking duck because there's a restaurant nearby that's known throughout the state for their Peking duck and we could just go there for that.

The dinner will be a few courses for 5-6 people, if that helps.

Tea-smoked duck and fried rice owns but is probably something you'd want to practice first.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I would like to make some German cookies for a German friend as a surprise. I don't know what cookies they like, though. Is there a good quintessentially German cookie that they will probably like (and ideally don't see regularly in the USA)? When I say "probably like" I mean how most people like chocolate chip cookies, I know no one can predict their exact tastes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm looking to get a lemon/lime squeezer online, which aren't available anywhere in my city (yes, I even checked kitchen suppliers).
Is this good enough?

http://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-GT-3949-International-Lemon-Squeezer/dp/B000FD7EDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 31, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I searched through this thread and didn't find any mention of it and I didn't think it deserved it's own thread, so I figured I'd ask here:

Recently, I've developed an allergy to dairy. Is there any good sites that list recipes/substitutions for dairy products? Googling it brings up nothing but vegan websites, but I don't want to substitute everything, and I'm not a big fan of most of their recipes. Any suggestions? Just plain recipes would be nice as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lately, I've found good extra virgin olive oil to be an excellent substitute for butter (despite being completely different in flavour).

And, depending on what you're allergic to in dairy foods, you might be able to eat ricotta.

wikipedia.org posted:

Although typically referred to as ricotta cheese, ricotta is not properly a cheese because it is not produced by coagulation of casein. Rather it is made by coagulating other milk proteins, notably albumin and globulin, left over in the whey that separates from the milk during the production of cheese. In fact, ricotta is safely eaten by individuals with casein intolerance.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 31, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Mister Macys posted:

Lately, I've found good extra virgin olive oil to be an excellent substitute for butter (despite being completely different in flavour).

And, depending on what you're allergic to in dairy foods, you might be able to eat ricotta.

Oh, awesome. I never knew that it was made that way. I'm pretty sure it's the casein that I'm allergic too, since I don't have issues with any other foods that contain whey. How different is it from other cheese? Also, is there a pasta sauce that isn't marinera, and doesn't include a ton of cheese products that a restaurant would serve? Mr. Lullabee is set on italian for Valentine's Day and I don't want to be sick the rest of the night afterwards. Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but googling isn't much help when your palate doesn't like most food tastes. (Not a meat and cheese only type person, just certain foods don't taste good to me.) :smith:

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 31, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

I'm looking to get a lemon/lime squeezer online, which aren't available anywhere in my city (yes, I even checked kitchen suppliers).
Is this good enough?

http://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-GT-3949-International-Lemon-Squeezer/dp/B000FD7EDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

Yeah I have three of those hahah. They work well, and the next tier up in citrus squeezing is stuff that costs between $70 and $150, so go for it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lullabee posted:

Oh, awesome. I never knew that it was made that way. I'm pretty sure it's the casein that I'm allergic too, since I don't have issues with any other foods that contain whey. How different is it from other cheese?

I find it tastes kind of like a bland cottage cheese, with a much finer curd.
It's used in lasagna, and some of the pastries that our bakery sells (can't remember the name off hand)

quote:

Also, is there a pasta sauce that isn't marinera, and doesn't include a ton of cheese products that a restaurant would serve?

Delicious delicious olive tapenade... :allears:
(olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil)

Not a sauce per se, but if you food process it...

And you could probably make a sauce from roasted peppers, other stuff, and olive oil.

Edit: I didn't read the "in a restaurant" part. :downsbravo:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 31, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lullabee posted:

Oh, awesome. I never knew that it was made that way. I'm pretty sure it's the casein that I'm allergic too, since I don't have issues with any other foods that contain whey. How different is it from other cheese? Also, is there a pasta sauce that isn't marinera, and doesn't include a ton of cheese products that a restaurant would serve? Mr. Lullabee is set on italian for Valentine's Day and I don't want to be sick the rest of the night afterwards. Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but googling isn't much help when your palate doesn't like most food tastes. (Not a meat and cheese only type person, just certain foods don't taste good to me.) :smith:

Bolognese sauce is pretty much meat-based with a bit of tomato. Lots of recipes call for a bit of cream to be added right at the end but it is eminently optional. You can ask them if they use cream in their sauce.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Lullabee posted:

Some of my absolute faves:

Bucatini all'Amatriciana! YUM!
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-bucatini.html

Orechiette with rapini and sausage, so freakin' good:
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-orecchiette.html

Lamb ragu, over any kind of wide noodle (I like pappardelle)
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-lambragu.html (you can skip the cardoons)

Pasta ala Norma
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-pasta_ala_norma.htm

Now I'm just hungry...

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whenever I buy crumbled feta cheese, like President or Athenos, it is always dry. However every time I go to a restaurant and get a salad with feta on it, it is always very moist, almost like cottage cheese, and it tastes 10 times better. What are they doing differently with their feta and how can I get mine to taste like that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're buying fresh feta cheese and crumbling it themselves

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Irish Revenge posted:

Whenever I buy crumbled feta cheese, like President or Athenos, it is always dry. However every time I go to a restaurant and get a salad with feta on it, it is always very moist, almost like cottage cheese, and it tastes 10 times better. What are they doing differently with their feta and how can I get mine to taste like that?

If you possess the will, and if you consume significant amounts of feta, you should look into making it. Making feta at home is actually really easy.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/Feta.html
http://thecheesemaker.com/feta.htm

Nice thing about making your own is that you have full control over the quality of the milk used to make the cheese, and if you have a source for unhomogenized, raw milk, your cheese will blow supermarket cheese out of the water.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Or even making it themselves, in some cases.

I don't know about pre-crumbled feta, but I know in the case of shredded cheese a lot of companies coat the shreds with a food additive to prevent them from sticking to each other, and it has a tendency to make the cheese dry.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Beef Wellington trip report: it was easy to make but unfortunately I overcooked the meat (not bloody==overcooked). Not sure if my pastry was too thick or if it got cooked while I was searing it

I'll try again since I have leftover duck foie gras

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Irish Revenge posted:

Its going to come in to restaurants in large square hunks packed in brine. If you want moist feta, then buy it in chunks packed in brine.

Cowcatcher posted:

Beef Wellington trip report: it was easy to make but unfortunately I overcooked the meat (not bloody==overcooked). Not sure if my pastry was too thick or if it got cooked while I was searing it

I'll try again since I have leftover duck foie gras

Did you chill the meat between steps? Also, how big of a piece of meat did you use?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Psychobabble posted:

Did you chill the meat between steps? Also, how big of a piece of meat did you use?

I chilled it for 30 minutes or so, but it wasn't very thick, about 2 inches. What should I get next time?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Schroedinger posted:

I would like to make some German cookies for a German friend as a surprise. I don't know what cookies they like, though. Is there a good quintessentially German cookie that they will probably like (and ideally don't see regularly in the USA)? When I say "probably like" I mean how most people like chocolate chip cookies, I know no one can predict their exact tastes.

I can't think of any German-specific cookies, but there is a really good gingerbread called Lebkuchen and then there is Stollen, which is like a really sweet bread with nuts and fruits. There are also a lot of little traditional candies and such, if you are interested in those.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Schroedinger posted:

A jam strudel is pretty easy to make, and if you want to go fancypants you could try making a poppy seed strudel

http://www.german-recipes-and-more.com/strudel-recipes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Is this good enough?

Get this one. The one you linked is sort of cheapy crap and I have broken the hinge on three of them.