Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Fez. It's never coming out :smith:

beef express posted:

Could be Dwarf Fortress....but no, it's Fez.

What the hell? I come in this thread for the first time ever and the post two posts above me mentions the game I was asking about.

Thanks guys.

So, it's never coming out :smith: That's why I wanted the name so i could see when it will be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I quoted the wrong post :downs:

But yes, Fez looks awesome and the reason I'm saying it's never coming out is because it's been under development for like 4 years now. It has actually been slated for release on XBLA (and not PC) this year, but a date hasn't been given. Wikipedia says february, but I highly doubt that.

If it appears this year, it will almost certainly be part of a seasonal promotion. I don't recall whether or not they ever held a spring event, but there will be one during summer for sure. I'd hedge my bets on july/august.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

xcore posted:

What the hell? I come in this thread for the first time ever and the post two posts above me mentions the game I was asking about.

Thanks guys.

So, it's never coming out :smith: That's why I wanted the name so i could see when it will be released.

Clearly the hivemind is now so tuned into ancient gameology, that it can answer which game before you knew you wanted to ask. :science:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

GhostBoy posted:

Clearly the hivemind is now so tuned into ancient gameology, that it can answer which game before you knew you wanted to ask. :science:

Return Fire.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Golbez posted:

Zaxxon.

Yep, that definetly it. Thanks.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Got an old one that no amount of searching in MobyGames has found for me, so let's see if I can jog any memories here.

80's, fairly sure this was on the Apple II. Premise of the game was that Russia was launching nukes at the US, but we had a squadron of interceptors in space that would fly down planetside and take out the control facility for that launch before the missiles hit.

Each mission started with having to fly each plane of the squadron out of the station one by one. Since this was in space, inertia played a role as you had to take off from the right, fly to about the center of the screen, then turn right to fly out the hangar doors. You had to oversteer to kill your leftward momentum or you'd smack into the hangar door on the way out.

Once your squadron was out, you'd select the launch facility and the game turned into a fairly standard vertical scrolling shoot em up. You could adjust your altitude slightly to avoid or attempt to take out any ground forces shooting at you, but otherwise you moved steadily upwards. Once you reached the end of the level, you faced five towers, each with a small black vulnerable spot to destroy the tower. You had to destroy all five towers before time ran out and the missiles impacted their target.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I've had it come to mind recently, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a thread for the game but I can't find it. It's a PS1 game heavily inspired by Twin Peaks/Lost Highway and is sort of inbetween Silent Hill 1 and Deadly Premonition in its structure (definitely a PS1 adventure game but with a large town to explore and such).

Could it be D?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28video_game%29

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Could it be D?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28video_game%29

Yes, the game that came out before Lost Highway, was released on everything with a CD drive and takes place entirely in a castle is the PS1 adventure game that's like Lost Highway with a large town to explore. :) At least unlike the other suggestion you got the system right, like I posted on the previous page I found it already, Mizzurna Falls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzDxJdRFHQ

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Kammat posted:

Got an old one that no amount of searching in MobyGames has found for me, so let's see if I can jog any memories here.

80's, fairly sure this was on the Apple II. Premise of the game was that Russia was launching nukes at the US, but we had a squadron of interceptors in space that would fly down planetside and take out the control facility for that launch before the missiles hit.

Each mission started with having to fly each plane of the squadron out of the station one by one. Since this was in space, inertia played a role as you had to take off from the right, fly to about the center of the screen, then turn right to fly out the hangar doors. You had to oversteer to kill your leftward momentum or you'd smack into the hangar door on the way out.

Once your squadron was out, you'd select the launch facility and the game turned into a fairly standard vertical scrolling shoot em up. You could adjust your altitude slightly to avoid or attempt to take out any ground forces shooting at you, but otherwise you moved steadily upwards. Once you reached the end of the level, you faced five towers, each with a small black vulnerable spot to destroy the tower. You had to destroy all five towers before time ran out and the missiles impacted their target.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I've had it come to mind recently, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

Raid over Moscow

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, the game that came out before Lost Highway, was released on everything with a CD drive and takes place entirely in a castle is the PS1 adventure game that's like Lost Highway with a large town to explore. :) At least unlike the other suggestion you got the system right, like I posted on the previous page I found it already, Mizzurna Falls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzDxJdRFHQ

Wasn't there another obscure Twin Peaks-esque horror game released for the PS2? I can't for the life of me remember the title (maybe a person's name?), but I recall the cover art featuring a barren country road.

(it's not Alan Wake)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

wb posted:

Raid over Moscow

God dammit that's it. Never came up when I was narrowing my search. THANK YOU!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hakkesshu posted:

Wasn't there another obscure Twin Peaks-esque horror game released for the PS2? I can't for the life of me remember the title (maybe a person's name?), but I recall the cover art featuring a barren country road.

(it's not Alan Wake)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan:_Report_from_Hell?

I don't know how Twin-Peaksy it is though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan:_Report_from_Hell?

I don't know how Twin-Peaksy it is though.

Yeah, that's it exactly. Never could figure out if I wanted to buy it or not.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, that's it exactly. Never could figure out if I wanted to buy it or not.

Every review I've read said it's a game with interesting ideas and bad execution. Pretty sure there's an LP or two you could track down.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Back in the day my friend had a Windows 95 (maybe 98) laptop that had a really cool pack in game demo.

The game was a medieval city/village building sim. I don't recall any military management being involved. I don't remember a whole lot, really, but what stands out the most is how the villagers built the buildings. They'd put up some scaffolding then slowly build them piece by piece and you could watch as they went up.

I realize thats hardly anything to go on, but does anyone have any ideas?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Arrath posted:

The game was a medieval city/village building sim.
It's from 2001, but maybe Stronghold?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

westborn posted:

It's from 2001, but maybe Stronghold?

No, it wasn't Stronghold. The graphics weren't nearly that good, and the camera wasn't isometric. It was straight on, like Warcraft 1/2 but at a shallower angle.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Settlers 3, maybe? The scaffolding in that game stands out to me for some reason.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hakkesshu posted:

Settlers 3, maybe? The scaffolding in that game stands out to me for some reason.

That was going to be my guess too. I loved how they would carry over all the building materials and start hammering up a building.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Arrath posted:

No, it wasn't Stronghold. The graphics weren't nearly that good, and the camera wasn't isometric. It was straight on, like Warcraft 1/2 but at a shallower angle.

Keep in mind there were two games called "Stronghold." One was the 2001 game with the fancy graphics, but in the olden days there was a D&D licensed game called Stronghold, and the guys on that would build stuff with a scaffold as you describe, and it was 2d.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

chairface posted:

Keep in mind there were two games called "Stronghold." One was the 2001 game with the fancy graphics, but in the olden days there was a D&D licensed game called Stronghold, and the guys on that would build stuff with a scaffold as you describe, and it was 2d.

Huh, I had no idea. Its not the older Stronghold (or Settlers 3) either.

The laptop was a beater by the time we got it, which must have been around 99 or 2000. It certainly wasn't a new game even then, I have a feeling it was from the early to mid 90s.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Arrath posted:

Huh, I had no idea. Its not the older Stronghold (or Settlers 3) either.

The laptop was a beater by the time we got it, which must have been around 99 or 2000. It certainly wasn't a new game even then, I have a feeling it was from the early to mid 90s.

It may seem obvious but did you try Settlers 2?

Tills
Feb 9, 2010
Knights and Merchants, perhaps? I vaguely recall a non combat demo for it.

Does anyone remember a game from around 95, pretty sure it was PC but possibly the commodore, it was a civilization like game. I recall it seemed to involve a lot of desert. I'm fairly certain it wasn't Civilization, but had a lot of similar mechanics. "Ancient" something or other sticks out as the name.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Forgive me for not reading 3,800 posts but I was trying to remember a Sega Saturn game.

It was some helicopter game that was mission based. I believe the camera view was third person or maybe you could switch it I cannot recall. You would start off with mission details like blowing up some trains or taking out some tanks or something. There was a loadout screen where you had a front view look of your copter and configured what kind of missiles or what not you wanted for the mission.

It's pretty vague but that's all I can recall :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Soviet Strike fits the bill.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Probably Soviet Strike.

Edit: Welp.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys but I'm thinking it might be another game. This one seems a bit more arcadey than what I recall playing which was a bit more sim-like. The loadout screen was a full screen front view of your chopper.

Again, vague details and I could possibly be remembering everything differently.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

averox posted:

Thanks guys but I'm thinking it might be another game. This one seems a bit more arcadey than what I recall playing which was a bit more sim-like. The loadout screen was a full screen front view of your chopper.

Again, vague details and I could possibly be remembering everything differently.
Steel Talons?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Two different NES games. Both side scrollers. In the first one, you played as some sort of power armored type with a rocket pack. Pressing B made you shoot to the left, A made you shoot to the right. There were teleporters that moved you between levels.

The second one ALSO had you as a power armored type, I THINK. It was put together more like Super Mario with jumping and such, though you also had ranged weapons. One boss I remember vividly was a giant Buddha statue that you had to shoot in the head to destroy.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

averox posted:

Sounds like Thunderhawk 2.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plinth posted:

Sounds like Thunderhawk 2.

Boy. This is definitely it and I remember it looking like a million times better back in the day.

Thanks man!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Polaron posted:

Two different NES games. Both side scrollers. In the first one, you played as some sort of power armored type with a rocket pack. Pressing B made you shoot to the left, A made you shoot to the right. There were teleporters that moved you between levels.

This sounds vaguely like Section Z.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Golbez posted:

This sounds vaguely like Section Z.

That is it! Thank you!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Polaron posted:

The second one ALSO had you as a power armored type, I THINK. It was put together more like Super Mario with jumping and such, though you also had ranged weapons. One boss I remember vividly was a giant Buddha statue that you had to shoot in the head to destroy.

Off the top of my head the only NES game I can think of with a giant buddha statue was Kid Niki, but there was no powered armor that you were wearing.

Do you remember anything else about it?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cidrick posted:

Off the top of my head the only NES game I can think of with a giant buddha statue was Kid Niki, but there was no powered armor that you were wearing.

Do you remember anything else about it?

It's definitely not Kid Niki. I think you were white with red/pink highlights?

I definitely remember the evil giant Buddha-esque (may not have been specifically Buddha, but it definitely had the feeling of "Giant man in robes, seated") statue. It was a blue/green statue? I remember the easiest way to beat him was to jump behind his head, since he couldn't move or shoot you back there? I really don't remember anything else about it v:shobon:v

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

averox posted:

Forgive me for not reading 3,800 posts but I was trying to remember a Sega Saturn game.

You're lucky it wasn't Soviet Strike because I identified that on the previous page :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tills posted:

Knights and Merchants, perhaps? I vaguely recall a non combat demo for it.

The screenshots don't look much like I remember, but the name definitely rings a bell. I'll look into that some more, thanks.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Polaron posted:

It's definitely not Kid Niki. I think you were white with red/pink highlights?

I definitely remember the evil giant Buddha-esque (may not have been specifically Buddha, but it definitely had the feeling of "Giant man in robes, seated") statue. It was a blue/green statue? I remember the easiest way to beat him was to jump behind his head, since he couldn't move or shoot you back there? I really don't remember anything else about it v:shobon:v
Could it be Thexder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej2ZNNSV820

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Neito posted:

Could it be Thexder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej2ZNNSV820

No, but that game DOES look pretty awesome and I kinda wish I had played it.

I really wish I could remember more, but this was twenty years ago. I have a vague impression of a level with jumping and stone platforms in..Maybe a forest?..And then going through a door to encounter the giant "Buddha" statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Polaron posted:

No, but that game DOES look pretty awesome and I kinda wish I had played it.

I really wish I could remember more, but this was twenty years ago. I have a vague impression of a level with jumping and stone platforms in..Maybe a forest?..And then going through a door to encounter the giant "Buddha" statue.

I've wanted to say Shinobi since yesterday and now I have to, although I'm not super happy about it. The version I'm thinking of is for Game Gear.