Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Dolash posted:

Credit to the Carnage review for having some observant points in there that I may or may not use as my own in casual conversation with cinema-loving friends.

That's what we're here for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
While it's certainly true that the one and only only reason to watch Redline is for the animation style, there were three things off about your review:

quote:

She wins the Yellowline race because Sweet JP fixes it for her

His mechanic was the one that fixed the race against his will. He wanted to win it.

quote:

the revelation of which should frustrate her, but instead fills her with gratitude.

Fairly certain the exact opposite of that occurred. She completely shut down on him and wouldn't even talk to him after she found out the race was fixed.

quote:

In 2011, this kind of outlook shouldn't acceptable.

It was finished in 2011, yeah... but it was in development for something like 7-8 years. Although I don't remember much about the early 2000's so that statement may still be true.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Prof Clumsy encapsulated for me my every experience with someone recommending an anime cartoon, short some misogyny.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Katherine Heigl is Jennifer Aniston on generic chick-flick actress steroids.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Y-Hat posted:

Katherine Heigl is Jennifer Aniston on generic chick-flick actress steroids.

To a point. But Heigl has still been in better movies than Aniston, handily.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sheldrake posted:

To a point. But Heigl has still been in better movies than Aniston, handily.

Like 'Killers'?

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Like 'Killers'?

Like 'Under Siege 2: Dark Territory,' the best movie either has ever made, by far.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Like 'Killers'?

Would I rather watch Killers over The Bounty Hunter? Yes. Would I rather get an eyeball popped out than see The Switch or Just Go With It? Oh yeah.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Sheldrake posted:

Would I rather watch Killers over The Bounty Hunter? Yes. Would I rather get an eyeball popped out than see The Switch or Just Go With It? Oh yeah.

The Switch isn't that terrible. Some of the scenes actually border on "kinda good."

True story about The Switch: At what is supposed to be "The Sad Part," Jason Bateman walks down the street, and a delivery truck pulls up behind him and takes the entire background. On the side of the delivery truck is a picture of a turkey baster. This made me laugh horribly loud in the otherwise silent theater and felt the urge to explain myself afterward to whoever would listen.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Alright so I watched Kill List and I don't know if this is the right place for it but I didn't get it. What was the plot? Evil cult hires him to kill members of own evil cult? Stuff happens and everyone dies?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Affi posted:

Alright so I watched Kill List and I don't know if this is the right place for it but I didn't get it. What was the plot? Evil cult hires him to kill members of own evil cult? Stuff happens and everyone dies?

That's putting it in really simple, unspoilered terms, but yes. It has more to do with a disturbed protagonist working through some deep-seated emotional issues while on the job than it does with "hitmen kill people, and then some more people."

It's frontloaded with a lot of character-building dialogue. Watch it again and really pay attention to the dinner scene. They establish so much in that one scene, it's easy to get lost in it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from Chronicle and it was great, so I dunno what you're on about.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just got back from Chronicle and it was great, so I dunno what you're on about.

That's you told, Hanson!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, it feels like I saw a different movie than everybody else did. Or maybe I'm getting older, so everything's just a little bit shittier.

Either way, you should discuss it in the thread.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jeremy oval office posted:

Yeah, it feels like I saw a different movie than everybody else did. Or maybe I'm getting older, so everything's just a little bit shittier.

Either way, you should discuss it in the thread.
I don't have to listen to your rules! I'm the OP! That makes me the apex predator! I can close the thread with a single thought, Matt!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Up is down, left is right, a movie directed by McG is better than a movie starring Nicolas Cage. I don't know what to think.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Y-Hat posted:

Up is down, left is right, a movie directed by McG is better than a movie starring Nicolas Cage. I don't know what to think.

"Don't watch either movie" would be my guess.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Glad to see yet another review of The Lorax calling it garbage. I am getting frustrated, though, that no reviewer I've seen made the analogy that the movie itself is a literal thneed, a product that nobody, nobody needs. It feels like such low hanging fruit.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Yeah, JayDub really hit that review out of the park. Good on you, sir.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Jay Dub's Lorax review should be required reading for anyone who takes kids to movies. Seriously.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 595 days!
Professor Clumsy keeps seeing gay characters where they don't actually exist and then hailing this as cinematic brilliance.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Pobama posted:

Professor Clumsy keeps seeing gay characters where they don't actually exist and then hailing this as cinematic brilliance.

Uh... Huh?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sheldrake posted:

Yeah, JayDub really hit that review out of the park. Good on you, sir.

Vargo posted:

Jay Dub's Lorax review should be required reading for anyone who takes kids to movies. Seriously.

Aww geez, you guys... :blush:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pobama posted:

I can think of two times this has happened. The first is Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, where the character in question lives with a bunch of young men and actually tells a female character "I'm starting to see why maybe someone might possibly kinda be interested and attracted to someone of your gender, sort of."

The second one is Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which I haven't seen, but hey, here's the Wikipedia plot description:

Wikipedia posted:

Graham continues to disappear each day, as he eventually reveals to Evelyn, to the records office, in hope of finding an old friend with whom he shared a gay relationship as a young man. Jean, who is still dismissive of Indian culture, follows him to the office; she tries to make a pass at him, and is humiliated when he tells her that he is gay.

So, yeah. Those gay characters sure don't exist.

Are you thinking of the dude who finds gay subtext in everything? Because that's not Clumsy, that's me.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
There was also that minority report he wrote about that Harold and Kumar movie where he said they were an interracial gay couple, but I took that as a joke. Not trying to fuel the fire here, just pointing it out :v:
edit: found it

quote:

I have never seen a Harold & Kumar movie, and up until now I was operating under the assumption that the franchise was incredibly progressive for depicting an interracial homosexual couple getting by in modern America. There goes all my interest in catching up on this series. - Ian "Professor Clumsy" Maddison

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
God, every word of that "The Lorax" plot synopsis made me progressively more depressed. gently caress Hollywood so, so much.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

There was also that minority report he wrote about that Harold and Kumar movie where he said they were an interracial gay couple, but I took that as a joke. Not trying to fuel the fire here, just pointing it out :v:
edit: found it

I really did think that, but I hadn't seen the films.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

When I heard that John Carter on its first weekend had beaten The Lorax on its second, despite a hefty amount of speculation that the former would be a complete financial failure, I immediately thought of the Current Releases Lorax review and its many self-evident truths, and a tiny piece of my hope was restored.

But then, Battleship comes out soon, so any glimmer of optimism about Hollywood is doomed to the fires anyway. Death to cinema, y'all!

Edit- oh, well, never mind. There is no hope after all.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 11, 2012

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vargo posted:

I can think of two times this has happened. The first is Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, where the character in question lives with a bunch of young men and actually tells a female character "I'm starting to see why maybe someone might possibly kinda be interested and attracted to someone of your gender, sort of."

I would make the argument that Clumsy didn't even see enough gay subtext in that film, since there is a ton between Sherlock and Watson as well as parallels between them and Moriarty/his man-servant sniper.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Guy A. Person posted:

I would make the argument that Clumsy didn't even see enough gay subtext in that film, since there is a ton between Sherlock and Watson as well as parallels between them and Moriarty/his man-servant sniper.

Oh, I think we all know how gay the undertones in the Holmes movies are. However, we weren't discussing subtext, or seeing gay characters who arguably "aren't there." We're discussing text...text. Things that are clearly there, as set in the narration.Things that are canon, if you will.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Haha, maybe. Although I'd probably say that Sherlock Holmes is more about marriage in general than strictly same-sex relationships, much like The Odd Couple.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Professor Clumsy posted:

Haha, maybe. Although I'd probably say that Sherlock Holmes is more about marriage in general than strictly same-sex relationships, much like The Odd Couple.

Haha that's a good point. In any case it is definitely not a film where you can say that any gay innuendo is all in the reviewer's head.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Haha that's a good point. In any case it is definitely not a film where you can say that any gay innuendo is all in the reviewer's head.

Absolutely, especially when it is delivered by a bollock-naked Stephen Fry.

It occurs to me now that another moment you could argue I've done this is with Luis Guzman's character in Journey 2, although there it is merely implied that he has a crush on the Rock and who doesn't?

The reason I like seeing this stuff is it actually feels progressive at last to make characters homosexual without drawing heavy attention to it. A lot of people are gay and this reality is finally being reflected in mainstream films in a way that feels natural.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 13, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This issue of Current Releases is bound to bring in some hate mail.

EDIT: Wait, poo poo. I confused Current Releases with Video Game Article :downs:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This doesn't quite fit the "blind man crossing the street unawares" but it's close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tZ48t5VfZVs#t=139s

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Johnny Walker posted:

This doesn't quite fit the "blind man crossing the street unawares" but it's close.

This is actually funny though. A blind man leading another blind man across a street and neither of them knowing the other is blind is a lot funnier then the usual "blind man is unaware of his surroundings"-joke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is actually funny though. A blind man leading another blind man across a street and neither of them knowing the other is blind is a lot funnier then the usual "blind man is unaware of his surroundings"-joke.
Yeah, but at the end they didn't notice they were on that truck platform or that it was rising as they stood on it. But I do remember it being a funny movie anyways.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm firing Marty and hiring you as my research assistant. Because every critic needs a research assistant to nail why a cliche is a cliche.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

A couple things I forgot to touch in my 1100-word review that bear mentioning:

1. Eddie Murphy solves most of his problems with money at the end, making this a feel-good movie for those in the 1 percent who feel like maybe they're soulless.

2. A PG-13 almost-sex scene involving S&M gear hints at darker aspects to Murphy's relationship with his wife -- aspects the screenplay never develops further or really acknowledges. Très bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

jeremy oval office posted:

I'm firing Marty and hiring you as my research assistant. Because every critic needs a research assistant to nail why a cliche is a cliche.

You just don't get it, do you?

• Locked thread