Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
From a recent trip to Lake Eyre / Central Australia.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Crossposting from SAD since people seem to like it

21/366 - Alex by fuglsnef, on Flickr

slothmeister
May 25, 2011

Stars over Swanmore by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

So, after standing in a field for 2 hours trying to get some star trails, freezing my butt off i get home to find i'd shot them all on iso 25000!!!! instead of 100. To be fair the star trail wouldn't have been that good anyway as the tree moved to much and looked a little rubbish.

But i managed to salvage this shot, the uber high iso brought out all the smallest stars though, every cloud and all that!

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

slothmeister posted:

Stars over Swanmore by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

So, after standing in a field for 2 hours trying to get some star trails, freezing my butt off i get home to find i'd shot them all on iso 25000!!!! instead of 100. To be fair the star trail wouldn't have been that good anyway as the tree moved to much and looked a little rubbish.

But i managed to salvage this shot, the uber high iso brought out all the smallest stars though, every cloud and all that!

This is an awesome shot that will be even better if you can clone out the power line.

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Erm, wow. I didn't even realise there was a power line there, how the hell did I miss that????

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Maui:

Haleakala Crater At Sunrise by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

If anyone reading this ever goes to Maui and someone tells you that there's nothing to see on the south end of the island past Hana I want you to punch them in the face. It's possibly the most beautiful part of the island as well as the most deserted part. I wish my photos could do it more justice.

Alelele Falls by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

South Maui by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

St. Joseph's Church, Maui by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Landscapes without removing my 100-400mm:

Spencer Island Mountain Backdrop by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20120123-20120123-_MG_3971.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bay Coast Panorama by torgeaux, on Flickr

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm quite lazy so I leant out of my window and snapped this picture

I bought a second hand Canon EOS 400D and this is so far my second best shot with it, first was a picture of my cat!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I never do multiple exposures or post-processing. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth. You all seem to, so am I wrong?

Devil's Sunset on Flickr

Rainier on Flickr

Bighorns on Flickr

Deer on Flickr

Cresting on Flickr

Superior on Flickr

Bryce Closer on Flickr

vote_no fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 21, 2012

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I took this before the fog lifted at Machu Picchu in Peru.

Waiting in the Fog by BLCphoto, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

goattrail posted:

I took this before the fog lifted at Machu Picchu in Peru.

I really, really like the framing of this one.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

vote_no posted:

I never do multiple exposures or post-processing. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth. You all seem to, so am I wrong?
Are we that obvious :p If you shot RAW like I wold think most of us do, you have to do some post. Exposure blending is pretty much required with anything with sky in it where I live. Except this photo strangely

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Malawi - Rift Valley by dpopat, on Flickr

I didn't do any post on this other than a crop because I thought my computer would melt. It took over an hour to merge in CS5.

Malawian Tea Field - Wide Shot by dpopat, on Flickr

I realize that this has too many shadows that I can't recover but the light was incredibly harsh. This was one of those times where I just wanted the picture for a memory but I thought it turned out ok.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

vote_no posted:

Tell me more about this world of amazing light you live in, because I always seem to be in places it sucks. I really cannot believe you've never posted in this thread and I am jealous of so many of your shots, especially since you have more great shots of the area I live in than I do. :( My only consolation is that you had to go back to flat-rear end Minnesota at the end of the trip.

I call this one Dreadheadripoff.jpg:

20120125-Eide Rd Landscape.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

I can't decide if I like B&W or color better.

20120125-Eide Rd Landscape B&W.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

This is boring and I hate it.

The Thomle Barn by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 27, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Tell me more about this world of amazing light you live in, because I always seem to be in places it sucks. I really cannot believe you've never posted in this thread and I am jealous of so many of your shots, especially since you have more great shots of the area I live in than I do. :( My only consolation is that you had to go back to flat-rear end Minnesota at the end of the trip.

I can't decide if I like B&W or color better.

I think it's probably that I don't bother to pull out the camera on days that have crappy light. I don't have enough time to be shooting as often as I'd like, but it's good to know that there are workarounds for bad light if I ever need them. I especially liked that shooting-into-the-sun technique from pages back, though I doubt I could do it properly.

Thanks very much for the compliment, although to be fair I did live in Snohomish County for two years, when the majority of those pictures were taken. It seemed like there was good light in western Washington almost every day. I really miss the scenery. But hey, flat-rear end Minnesota?! Check this poo poo out!

I like the color better than the B&W, definitely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, the entire midwest is a giant motivation killer for photography. There's certainly some neat stuff out there, but it's few and far between.

Take a road trip through any place west of Denver and you'll be stopping every 10 minutes because there's something new to photograph.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

xzzy posted:

Seriously, the entire midwest is a giant motivation killer for photography. There's certainly some neat stuff out there, but it's few and far between.

Take a road trip through any place west of Denver and you'll be stopping every 10 minutes because there's something new to photograph.

To be sure, I took twice as many photographs when I lived in Washington, and there were great scenes ten minutes away in every direction. Then again, I took these within ten minutes of my house in Minnesota, and I like them almost as much as the ones ten minutes from my place in Washington:

Minneapolis on Flickr

Flood Stage on Flickr

Dam on Flickr

Shakopee on Flickr

The one of mine from the links in my earlier post is also within ten minutes.

I seem to have more trouble capturing Minnesota's beauty, but it's absolutely all over the place. I've got a resolution to get out there more this summer because I found someone on flickr who is doing a fantastic job capturing the beauty of Minnesota (and southern Canada): http://www.flickr.com/photos/22292497@N05/

vote_no fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 21, 2012

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

vote_no posted:

I think it's probably that I don't bother to pull out the camera on days that have crappy light. I don't have enough time to be shooting as often as I'd like, but it's good to know that there are workarounds for bad light if I ever need them. I especially liked that shooting-into-the-sun technique from pages back, though I doubt I could do it properly.

Thanks very much for the compliment, although to be fair I did live in Snohomish County for two years, when the majority of those pictures were taken. It seemed like there was good light in western Washington almost every day. I really miss the scenery. But hey, flat-rear end Minnesota?! Check this poo poo out!

I like the color better than the B&W, definitely.

Haha. I know Minnesota isn't that bad. I actually spent a couple weeks there for work last year. The part I was in was pretty damned boring, but I drove over the Wisconsin border to the area my dad grew up in and it was really beautiful, even in the middle of January.

I live in Snohomish County and while it's awesome that, on a clear day, I can see two mountain ranges from my mailbox, we only get about three months of clear days a year. :(

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hotwax Residue posted:

Are we that obvious :p If you shot RAW like I wold think most of us do, you have to do some post. Exposure blending is pretty much required with anything with sky in it where I live. Except this photo strangely

There's a beautiful combination of both tonal and colour contrast going on here. Great work as usual.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Hotwax Residue posted:

pardon me but is exposure blending like HDR?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

vote_no posted:

Rainier by owen.schandle, on Flickr

I don't always do post-processing (I'm also a hobbyist with a point and shoot). Sometimes I like the pictures the way they are and leave them. My camera often takes bland or hazy shots and also blows out the whites. I try my best to compensate when taking the shot, but often have to fix stuff in post.
I often don't realize how hazy a shot is until I do some adjusting and it gets a hell of a lot clearer.

The Rainier shot, for example, can be really cleaned up. It just looks gray (I took a similar shot of a camel) and hazy. Riding the ferry every day, I know that the mount comes in very clear on open days. The picture could be a whole lot better with some post-processing. You take that from around Kingston?

Going snowboarding at Crystal tomorrow. Hopefully it's nice and I get some decent shots :dance:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Niagalack posted:

pardon me but is exposure blending like HDR?

He explicitly says that's one that didn't require any.

Pope Mobile posted:

I don't always do post-processing (I'm also a hobbyist with a point and shoot). Sometimes I like the pictures the way they are and leave them. My camera often takes bland or hazy shots and also blows out the whites. I try my best to compensate when taking the shot, but often have to fix stuff in post.
I often don't realize how hazy a shot is until I do some adjusting and it gets a hell of a lot clearer.

The Rainier shot, for example, can be really cleaned up. It just looks gray (I took a similar shot of a camel) and hazy. Riding the ferry every day, I know that the mount comes in very clear on open days. The picture could be a whole lot better with some post-processing. You take that from around Kingston?

Going snowboarding at Crystal tomorrow. Hopefully it's nice and I get some decent shots :dance:

It was super hazy that day, which I think contributed to the size of Rainier; I definitely have prettier, less hazy shots of Rainier from a ferry, but none where it just dominated the horizon. It was taken probably halfway through the Edmonds-Kingston run. What kind of post-processing would you do? I seriously don't know poo poo.

edit: vvvv I like Sunrise the best.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 29, 2012

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A few from this weekend's escapades:

Dawn at Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Sunrise - Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Shipwreck at La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

vote_no posted:

He explicitly says that's one that didn't require any.

It was super hazy that day, which I think contributed to the size of Rainier; I definitely have prettier, less hazy shots of Rainier from a ferry, but none where it just dominated the horizon. It was taken probably halfway through the Edmonds-Kingston run. What kind of post-processing would you do? I seriously don't know poo poo.

edit: vvvv I like Sunrise the best.

Honestly, I would go to this thread. Being an amateur and a hobbyist who still has things to change in his post work, I'd definitely go with post advice from people who are much more seasoned.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

A few from this weekend's escapades:

Dawn at Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Sunrise - Turimetta by Aztatlan, on Flickr

La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Shipwreck at La Perouse by Aztatlan, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

They are all very pleasing to the eye, the first and third being the strongest in my opinion. Great leading lines in the first, water looks buttery and smooth. The sky in the second one is a little hard on the eyes, a bit too neon. Third has the same great depth as the first and those impressions in the rock almost look like footprints walking towards the background. Last one has a great interesting foreground although with its strong rusty color it kind of dominates the frame. Great stuff and so much more colorful than the drab stuff I'm shooting.

I made a mistake on this one thinking that the little rain run-off in front of me was going to make a significantly interesting foreground. To the eye it was really roaring and looked like it would create a great capture at 20s exposure, unfortunately because of its clarity and the rocks beneath you can barely even see that it's a stream. There was some serious surf and in hindsight I should have gotten a lot closer to the water and made it my point of interest and not the rocky beach or the stream.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I enjoy landscape photography, but I'm still pretty new to serious photography in general.

Photos of San Francisco at night feel like cliche cheeseball images to me, but they are fun to take. I'm not sure if they should be shared though... Are these shots actually any good, or are they like vacation photos where they are fun to take and look at, but only for me?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Graniteman posted:

Photos of San Francisco at night feel like cliche cheeseball images to me, but they are fun to take. I'm not sure if they should be shared though... Are these shots actually any good, or are they like vacation photos where they are fun to take and look at, but only for me?

I love the first and last ones. With the first one, a fair amount of people don't seem to like stuff in the foreground of those types of shots, but I think those work out great; I wish there was more in the foreground, even.

The night-time road & cityscape (second from last) I also like because of the sky. People seem to forget about the sky when they take those kinds of shots. I'd say the only thing about taking pictures from often-used locations is that it's extraordinarily hard to be better than everybody else, but that doesn't mean the pictures aren't still great.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I live in Snohomish County and while it's awesome that, on a clear day, I can see two mountain ranges from my mailbox, we only get about three months of clear days a year.

Were you there for this? I loved this:

It Begins on Flickr

It Ends on Flickr

vote_no fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 21, 2012

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Woke up early and caught the sunrise this morning.

Garden of the Gods by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

e.pie posted:

First one I love, the colour and comp, trees give it good scale. Second one is beautiful but the shadow in the foreground is a bit stark, unavoidable I'm sure though. Great stuff.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Graniteman posted:

I like some "cliche" photos. Yeah, a million people have photographed the Golden Gate from that angle. Even if your shot isn't as good as a professional's, it's still your shot. They, like you said, are fun to take.
To me, yours don't feel like vacation photos. An initial reaction might be "Oh, yeah, another shot of the GG," but it doesn't look like someone just went out to the headlands with the P&S they got for Christmas for some Facebook uploads. I like them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

whaam posted:

First one I love, the colour and comp, trees give it good scale. Second one is beautiful but the shadow in the foreground is a bit stark, unavoidable I'm sure though. Great stuff.

That is true about the shadow, but it was a bit of a valley in front of me and just a few minutes after sunrise so there wasn't anything I could do about it. :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pope Mobile posted:

I like some "cliche" photos. Yeah, a million people have photographed the Golden Gate from that angle. Even if your shot isn't as good as a professional's, it's still your shot. They, like you said, are fun to take.
To me, yours don't feel like vacation photos. An initial reaction might be "Oh, yeah, another shot of the GG," but it doesn't look like someone just went out to the headlands with the P&S they got for Christmas for some Facebook uploads. I like them.

Exactly, I have my cheeseball golden gate bridge printed and hanging on my wall, if it weren't my picture I definitely wouldn't have it up there.

Golden Gate Bridge by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Were you there for this? I loved this:

It Begins by owen.schandle, on Flickr

It Ends by owen.schandle, on Flickr
[/quote]

I lived in Ballard during the 2008 snow, but since it happened over Christmas I got to do of driving through Snohomish County. Let me tell you about how fun it is to drive a Corolla with balding all-seasons for two weeks during the snow (it wasn't).

Snow photography is really fun though (From last years Thanksgiving surprise).

20101122-_MG_6904.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I lived in Ballard during the 2008 snow, but since it happened over Christmas I got to do of driving through Snohomish County. Let me tell you about how fun it is to drive a Corolla with balding all-seasons for two weeks during the snow (it wasn't).

I should really stop doing this, because I know it annoys the hell out of the Seattlites, but I was driving a Mustang with all-seasons. It was fun. Of course, I'm from here:

Great North Woods on Flickr

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

vote_no posted:

I should really stop doing this, because I know it annoys the hell out of the Seattlites, but I was driving a Mustang with all-seasons. It was fun. Of course, I'm from here:

Great North Woods by owen.schandle, on Flickr

I love watching people stare at me as I floated past them in my car with :smug: on my face. I love driving in the snow.

There was a lot of wind and plenty of clouds up in the mountains on Saturday.
I was literally sitting in a cloud for this shot:

Hopefully there's blue sky next time. The views of Rainier and the valley are amazing at the top of the slopes.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Agreed, I loved going up in the mountains during the winter. It made the lack of winter in Seattle tolerable, because real winter was always just an hour away! And summer is just over the mountains, even if it's not a very green summer. But when in less than a year both winter and summer came to Seattle, it was delightful. I really didn't realize how much I missed seasons until I had moved back to Minnesota, but when it was 15F with snow cover and 100F with greenery later that year I started to remember. That's about as extreme as Seattle ever gets, and I'm glad I was there for it. Now if only I could get some of your scenery moved over here, I would stop thinking about moving back to Washington.

Rainier from Mount Si on Flickr

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You guys have a giant spoon and cherry, not to mention 10,000 lakes!

This is what it's like on a clear day from the highest point the lifts take you to:

E: Drudging up more, old landscape photos because I didn't really have a chance for any this go around:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
What is everyone using for ND/grad setups? I've got a Hoya screw-on ND16 and some cokin P series grads but have been looking for a grad ND in the 100 x 150mm range to be a bit more versatile on the horizon position, the problem is all I see is these Lee kits that start around $500 just for the adapter and 2 filters.