Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Oh my bad. Welp sorry.

Edit: I fixed my problem with the mesh. I just opened the "sign mod" in blender and made the size of the sign 0 so its invisible. It's not ideal but as long as no other meshes break it's fine.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah I like reading "this mod does this" in the blurb, only to look at the notes and see that the modder has changed 11 other things on a whim that will seriously affect gameplay.

Anyway I found what I was looking for (a mod was dependent on it) and it was not worth it. It just so happens to be that gun mod you referenced.

If you want a gun mod, Naky's Armory is much better and although it has a CaliberX plugin, it's totally optional.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've released a slightly updated version of my JSawyer mod.

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/01/jsawyeresp-v3.html

v3 Changes:
===
* THE MOST IMPORTANT BUG HAS BEEN FIXED: "HAS BACKPACK" HAS BEEN CHECKED ON ALL RANGER COMBAT ARMOR AND RIOT GEAR!!!!!!! WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* Sturdy Caravan Shotgun added to ShotgunSurgeonWeaponsList
* Super Slam, Piercing Strike, Unstoppable Force, Slayer set to have OR conditionals for equivalent Unarmed or Melee Weapon skill levels.
* Lead Belly now negates ST penalty from eating raw meat (of all kinds).
* IsHardcore condition on raw meat ST reduction removed. This means you will always suffer ST loss from eating raw meat unless you have Lead Belly.
* Ninja now adds 15% to Critical Hit Chance with Melee/Unarmed (instead of multiplying by 1.15). Prereq allows Melee Weapons or Unarmed to qualify.
* Lady Killer and Cherchez La Femme damage bonuses increased from 10% to 15% due to proportionally lower numbers of female characters in the game.
* Demolition Expert now has only 2 ranks. Each rank grants +10% damage and +10% larger explosion radius. Don't worry; Explosives are still very powerful.
* Marksman Carbine and All-American removed from Grunt list.
* Battle Rifle and This Machine added to Grunt list.
* Mercenary's Grenade Rifle, Great Bear Grenade Rifle, and Red Victory Grenade Rifle added to Grunt list.
* Plasma Spaz now (also) increases attack rate with plasma weapons by 20%.
* Rad Absorption now decreases radiation 10x faster (was 1 per 20 seconds is now 1 per 2 seconds).
* In Shining Armor perk condition fixed to get the Attacker Weapon as EnergyWeapons.
* Stonewall DT bonus vs. Melee/Unarmed weapons increased from 5 to 10.
* Missing metal armors (NCR Salvaged Power Armor, Gecko-Backed, etc.) added to In Shining Armor list.
* Composite Recon Armor removed from In Shining Armor list.
* Loneseome Road metal armors and helmets (e.g. Armor of the 87th Tribe, Marked Beast helmets) added to In Shining Armor lists.
* Elijah's Last Words Attack Speed bonus replaced with 25% damage bonus and extended to Unarmed weapons. Condition set up properly.
* Elijah's Ramblings Melee Weapons critical hit bonus dropped to 25%
* Roughin' It Bedroll Kit weight dropped from 15 to 10
* Blood Sausage healing effect dropped from 5 points per second to 2 points per second.
* Blood Sausage and Black Blood Sausage marked as Food Items (affected by Survival and count toward Desert Survivalist).
* Thin and Thick Red Pastes marked as Food Items.
* Red Pastes and Blood Sausages VAL reduced to the 5-15 range as an economy-preserving measure. All now Restore Starvation in Hardcore.
* Them's Good Eatin' drop rate lowered from 50% to 15%.
* Implant GRX daily uses dropped from 5 to 2 and 10 to 3 for each rank, respectively.

* Logan's Loophole updated to max out at 21 (was 20) since someone pointed out that the age limit in the book was 21 (30 in the film and original perk).
* Meltdown now only triggers from plasma weapon kills (anything affected by Plasma Spaz). This was previously an undocumented change (sorry).
* Cass's Caravan Shotgun spread reduced and DAM/Crit DAM increased significantly (due to her relatively late acquisition in the game).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

rope kid posted:

* THE MOST IMPORTANT BUG HAS BEEN FIXED: "HAS BACKPACK" HAS BEEN CHECKED ON ALL RANGER COMBAT ARMOR AND RIOT GEAR!!!!!!! WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, well good. I wasn't going to use your mod until you fixed this critical error. :colbert:

what does this do exactly

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

rope kid posted:

:words:

Do you have to start a new game to get the updated effects, or can I just delete the old esp and use this one on my save?

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 30, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Psion posted:

Oh, well good. I wasn't going to use your mod until you fixed this critical error. :colbert:

what does this do exactly
It offsets back-mounted weapons so they don't clip into the back. It also turns them upside down and changes to a "from the bottom" equip/holster animation (I don't like this part, but understand why it works that way).

Roobanguy posted:

Do you have to start a new game to get the updated effects, or can I just delete the old esp and use this one on my save?
It's best used with a fresh game, but if you're already using JSawyer, it might not cause too many problems to just replace it (have not tried this).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

rope kid posted:

Battle Rifle and This Machine added to Grunt list.

I think I know which perk to take now. :shepface:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Smol posted:

I think I know which perk to take now. :shepface:

I would use This Machine if the Survivalist Rifle wasn't so drat good at everything.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

rope kid posted:

:words:

I think the changes you did to black blood sausages and thick red paste are messed up. Right now, it gives me HP +105 (30s). :stare:

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
This is a weird question to ask, and I figure it's safer to ask in here instead of the New Vegas general thread since I'm modded to hell and back, but sometimes when I'm wandering around the Mojave, I'll hear a bell tolling along with some spooky static noise. Is this from one of the DLCs, or is this from some mod? It's freakin' me out wandering around in dark rear end Project Reality nights and hearing this drat bell chiming :tinfoil:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It sounds like you have an outdated version of... some enhancement mod. I can't remember which one, but a while back it added a thing called "Echoes of the Past" which would play random noises at different locations. People complained enough that the next time it updated it was removed.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Isn't that the sound played when discovering new locations and radio transmissions?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there an easy way for me to fix the multiple mesh errors I am getting with the guns from the armory mod?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Roobanguy posted:

I think the changes you did to black blood sausages and thick red paste are messed up. Right now, it gives me HP +105 (30s). :stare:
the UI conflates max HP bonus and HP regen together so you don't actually get that much HP regen (in your case it's actually 5HP/sec healing, +100maxHP)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the UI conflates max HP bonus and HP regen together so you don't actually get that much HP regen (in your case it's actually 5HP/sec healing, +100maxHP)

Oh, that makes sense.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011

potaties posted:

This is a weird question to ask, and I figure it's safer to ask in here instead of the New Vegas general thread since I'm modded to hell and back, but sometimes when I'm wandering around the Mojave, I'll hear a bell tolling along with some spooky static noise. Is this from one of the DLCs, or is this from some mod? It's freakin' me out wandering around in dark rear end Project Reality nights and hearing this drat bell chiming :tinfoil:

It's part of those "dark rear end Project Reality nights". It's the 'The Dark Wasteland' option, which makes the nights darker but...also adds those sounds in for whatever reason. They made me change over to Fellout because they creeped me out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm getting some annoying cricket sounds pretty much everywhere, inside and out, very frequently. I use the Ambient Sounds mod, but even deleting its added cricket sound files doesn't seem to help.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So I have been using the Monster Mod, and uh. . . While I appreciate the spirit, and some of the new ideas are good, it mostly just turns the game into bullshit. The NCR station on the south end of the map, for instance, is now covered on all sides by epic level tarantulas that for some reason soak 40mm rounds. I am almost better off taking my chances in the Deathclaw zone.

Is there a better monster mod? Or a balanced one?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Mock and Droll posted:

It's part of those "dark rear end Project Reality nights". It's the 'The Dark Wasteland' option, which makes the nights darker but...also adds those sounds in for whatever reason. They made me change over to Fellout because they creeped me out.

Aha! Thank you for this. I'm going to edit the .wav in Audacity or something and make it a null file so nothing breaks (hopefully).

Forumpost
Jan 17, 2012

So I have been using the Monster Mod, and uh. . . While I appreciate the spirit, and some of the new ideas are good, it mostly just turns the game into bullshit. The NCR station on the south end of the map, for instance, is now covered on all sides by epic level tarantulas that for some reason soak 40mm rounds. I am almost better off taking my chances in the Deathclaw zone.

What difficulty are you playing on? I am usually on very hard, but when you combine a lot of difficulty enhancing mods it turns into terrain exploit sneak attacks with silenced weapons or get 1 shot unless you turn the difficulty down.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Increased Wasteland Spawns and DFB Encounters. The former adds more spawns to spawn points (meaning more dudes to shoot) and the latter adds random encounters ala Fallout 3 to the game.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Still having issues with the Mojave Extended / Mysterious Broadcast Extended radio mods cutting a song short about three-fourths of the way through a track before skipping ahead to the next song. I tried turning off my radio, going into an interior cell, saving, exiting the game, disabling the mods, starting the game back up, waiting seven days in-game, saving again, and re-enabling the mods, but it didn't fix the issue at all. Is there a certain spot in the load order I should be putting these? Or is there some other way to fix it? The track list is so good, but that makes it all the more excruciating when a really good song comes on and then abruptly ends prematurely :(

EDIT: Scratch that, I tried one more time on good faith and it seems to have fixed everything just right. I wonder why it happened in the first place, but whatever! This music is great.

EDIT2: Aaaaand it's right back where it was, cutting off tracks again after about 3 songs. drat.

potaties fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 1, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I wish I could tell you, but my only suggestion is the one that you've already tried several times. If that doesn't work, I really have no idea what the hell could be wrong with it. There shouldn't be any conflicts with other mods or anything so... I don't know. I'm sorry it's not working out for you, but I hope you get everything sorted out and working.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rope kid posted:

* Plasma Spaz now (also) increases attack rate with plasma weapons by 20%.

Wanna introduce that perk to smitty special.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I wish I could tell you, but my only suggestion is the one that you've already tried several times. If that doesn't work, I really have no idea what the hell could be wrong with it. There shouldn't be any conflicts with other mods or anything so... I don't know. I'm sorry it's not working out for you, but I hope you get everything sorted out and working.

It's not limited to your mods, at least. The same thing happens with RACE, though others like CONELRAD and Existence 2.0 work peachy keen. I'm buckling down and dealing with it regardless, because you really did pick such a fantastic selection that even three-quarters of a song is better than going without it :shobon:

EDIT: Wait, I wonder if it could be a codec issue? ffdshow might not be working properly or something, I wonder if I should try reinstalling or updating those.

potaties fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 1, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Say, that's an idea. I used the tools from the Radio New Vegas Extended generator to encode my tracks, so a good way to test this theory would be to see if the other stations that do this were done the same way. If so, I'd say it's probable cause.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A quick update to that Armory RFCW compatibility .esp I made: http://www.mediafire.com/?f54eyj3bum6s8i4

It's actually turned into a more general "Better implementation of New Vegas items in the Capital Wasteland" mod; you can get hydras and doctor's bags from first aid kits, magazines have a chance to appear in mailboxes, and other similar simple modifications. Despite the filename it doesn't require the Armory at all as a master so I'd recommend it if you're using RFCW at all; one thing I've noticed while playing (without this addon) is that New Vegas items are barely present, if at all. Even game critical things like doctor's bags (you literally can only get them by buying them from doctors, who will carry exactly one of them each respawn cycle).

It's still kind of a WIP but if anyone can think of other ways to gracefully include New Vegas content in the capital wasteland, I'm open to suggestions. The main methods involved are either editing leveled lists called by about a million different things (my preferred method - I only have to change one thing and it works on ALL the containers/lists that reference that list), or by adding things directly to containers (I usually only use this to add stuff to merchant inventories that isn't well covered by editing the generic leveled lists).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 2, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
^^
When I get around to my second playthrough I'll totally try out this and RFCW.

I'm currently still modding on my rework of the robot race, mostly making a real survival part that consists of random failures, complicated repairs and finding rare spare parts. You get more bonuses (for example, more SPECIAL points) but in general it should make the game harder. I always wanted to play a robot and I hope it's a a real option in FO4. The bad thing is that a mod like this needs lots of balancing and I'm afraid the modding community for NV isn't that active anymore, Skyrim being such a vast technological improvement and the setting being more popular and all. Ah well. NV is still the better game. :colbert:

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 2, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the NV modding community is still pretty active, considering how different New Vegas is from Skyrim in terms of style. Plus I don't think the Skyrim version of the GECK has been released yet, so it's still a bit limited what people can do.

As an aside, I'm pretty impressed with how well the latest version of RFCW runs. I haven't had a single crash and I'm up to level 8 and the Vault 112 part of the main quest (though I haven't gotten there yet). There are a few kinks like a weird visual bug in some indoor areas (it seems like the renderer gets confused at some thresholds, and it won't render the environment past them until you enter, even though you should be able to see it), and a couple missing models, but so far nothing gamebreaking and aside from the weird indoor threshold bug, nothing I can't fix myself.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

I'm afraid the modding community for NV isn't that active anymore, Skyrim being such a vast technological improvement and the setting being more popular and all.
I disagree. It's not that the New Vegas modding community isn't active, it's just that only the people who are truly interested in it are still making things. When a modkit for a game first comes out, everybody and their dog hops on the bandwagon and starts making things, because it has the allure of being something new. Give it a few months, though, and most of those people move on, leaving only the modders who are passionate about their work.

It happens time and again with Bethsoft games. The Morrowind modding community thought it was the end times when Oblivion was released, but mods are still being made for it. Don't mistake just a relatively small group of people working as inactivity - for instance, the Baldur's Gate modding community is still going strong and it's more than a decade old.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Morrowind was definitely saved by the fact that Oblivion was a horrible game and a step back modding wise in comparison to the editor. All their buildings and such being pre-made in Oblivion really killed a lot of the Lego-like creativity and freedom you had to build original content in Morrowind. I'm sure it helped development time a lot, but it really restricted modders for a long time. That same freedom is probably the same reason why modders stick around for it too.

That being said, I think FNV and to a lesser extent FO3 will have dedicated modding communities for one reason and one reason only - guns. Lots of people are sick of the medieval fantasy and prefer the gunplay of the Fallout games.

I'm choosing to stick with modding FNV but only until FO4 comes out.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Okay, so I've installed the weapon animation replacement and it's working fine aside from the fact that when I aim with a pistol the hands will suddenly go to the top corners of the screen and fly down to the default hand positions. It's a bit silly looking, and I was wondering if there was some way to fix it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
How did you install it, FOMOD or manual? Reinstall it perhaps.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I get the same thing even with the FOMOD install. I think it's just a weird bug with one of the animation styles. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about it except not use that style.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Has anyone played extensively with Josh Sawyer's mod? I'm thinking of giving it a go on my next playthrough but would appreciate hearing about people's experiences with it first.

In particular regarding the DLC. I think the combat in something like Old World Blues is already an annoying slog to get through, how does it feel with the mod raising difficulty even further?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You may not like it then. While it's defintely a more complex form of "hard" than just "More DT! More HP!" it's still noticeably more difficult.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I get the same thing even with the FOMOD install. I think it's just a weird bug with one of the animation styles. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about it except not use that style.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yeah, one of the styles is bugged I think now that you mention it. Try a different one and it should work.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
I decided I wanted something to do so I disabled the Delay DLC mod, but I only have the quest for Lonesome Road? I have the Sierra Madre and Honest Hearts signals, though.

Am I just doing something wrong?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Leinadi posted:

Has anyone played extensively with Josh Sawyer's mod? I'm thinking of giving it a go on my next playthrough but would appreciate hearing about people's experiences with it first.

In particular regarding the DLC. I think the combat in something like Old World Blues is already an annoying slog to get through, how does it feel with the mod raising difficulty even further?

Playing on hardcore the hardest thing for me is only being able to hold 1 or 2 guns due to the ammo weight and the lowered carry weight of the mod. I can hold 110 pounds of gear and with all the food I carry and the ammo most of what makes it hard is managing what to keep and what to ditch.

Survival has helped a lot since I get way more out of food now, like double the stats on food. IE brahmin steak gives me 2 str instead of 1.

Loving it so far though since like one of the above posters mentions instead of making NPCs harder to kill it makes the game harder to play.

Request Are there any mods that make npcs more dangerous? Like more likely to land criticals or throw grenades? I want a really good risk of dieing every fight but not by making what I am fighting harder to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Leinadi posted:

In my experience the thing that influences the combat difficulty the most is the halving of the Courier's starting health and endurance bonuses, ie. you take less hits before you die, but you also need less healing items. I think the enemies are unchanged for the most part. Now, I haven't attempted OWB yet and I play on Normal like a total wimp, but I imagine it would be considerably more difficult because of the hard-hitting robot scorpions, trauma harnesses and brushgun lobotomites on later levels (I assume the level scaling has been adjusted to the 35 level cap?). That can be somewhat mitigated with the buffed heavy and medium armors with their new damage resistance. Other advice would boil down to using ample cover and healing items, if you somehow weren't caught unawares by the enemies appearing out of thin air. Nightstalkers would still annihilate you (even more quickly) if they bumrushed you out of nowhere and you didn't have the means to deal with them.

In regards to enemy DT and HP (this isn't really specific to jsawyer.esp, but w/e), combat tedium and difficulty for guns characters can be alleviated with the proper weaponry, especially with the GRA DLC: high DPS weapons for nightstalkers (SMGs, FIDO), pretty much anything for lobotomites (sniping, rapid fire weapons, explosions etc. They're flimsy!), high damage-per-shot weapons for trauma harnesses (rifles), high damage-per-shot weapons or pulse weaponry for robot scorpions (rifles, pulse slugs for shotguns, 40mm pulse grenades). All this hinges on preparation of course, but even so there's an easy out in the form of the mighty proton axe, even with a terrible melee weapons skill.

As for ammo in OWB, v2 of the .esp has increased the drop rates for .357 and .44 ammo in the lockers. I'm not sure about the sink's ammo selection.

The most important game-changer in jsawyer.esp in general for better or worse is the decreased carry weight, which effects the game in numerous ways. Number one: It drastically limits the arsenal you carry, especially with the ammo weight in hardcore mode. Lugging around a SMG with a few hundred ammo for high HP enemies for instance makes quite a dent in your carrying capacity. This emphasizes the importance of planning and prudence, but also necessitates back-and-forth travel between your chosen base and your current location. Second, it limits the amount of repaired guns and valuables you can carry. It doesn't effect the overall amount of loot you get per se but it forces you to offload your stuff in your base or to the vendors pretty often, which can be tedious for some. Third, lots of inventory management: never before have you thought about storing all those broc flowers and prickly pears to get that one extra pound! Fourth, due to all the preceding points it makes perks like pack rat and strong back appear mighty appealing, which homogenizes your characters somewhat if you let it.

That said, I can't wait to start my 1 strength energy-weapons character in hardcore mode! :haw:

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 3, 2012