Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

pimpslap posted:

With the bankruptcy and all...what are thoughts on buying a 2007 9-5 Aero now? I'm guessing parts availability won't be as good with a 9-3 with the GM 2.0, but could use the extra space of a 9-5 for a child seat. Ones I've seen locally are around $10-11k with about 60k miles. These don't typically have the sludging issues the earlier 9-5s did, right? Looking for a daily driver for the wife and I've always wanted a Saab. Any particular issues to look out for?

2K7 is a good year, and the parts for the H engines will be around for a long time; there's at least 3 knockoff DIs (~100k part), and almost everything else is still used by other GM cars. The only things I'd really worry about are ECU/etc, but even that's hardly worth caring about at this point.

Don't discount the earlier 9-5s, the passenger compartment in my 2K is much more roomy than my 2K8. Just get history/drop the oil pan if you would consider an aging one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Viggen posted:

Don't discount the earlier 9-5s, the passenger compartment in my 2K is much more roomy than my 2K8. Just get history/drop the oil pan if you would consider an aging one.

So if I expand my search a little bit to cover older 9-5s, how far back should I go? 2001, 2002, 2003? I'd really like to minimize potential sludge issues and replacing a turbo in short order. If I stick to the B235L and R engines, those come with the longer-life turbo right (Mitsubishi one instead of the Garrett, right?).

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

pimpslap posted:

So if I expand my search a little bit to cover older 9-5s, how far back should I go? 2001, 2002, 2003? I'd really like to minimize potential sludge issues and replacing a turbo in short order. If I stick to the B235L and R engines, those come with the longer-life turbo right (Mitsubishi one instead of the Garrett, right?).

The B235L and the B235R both have the TD04, yes. 2.3T (04-05) is a B235L, 2.3t is generally a B235E (with the garrett) unless it's a biopower (did they sell those in NA?). The B235R is always an aero with anywhere from 227hp to 256hp depending on year.

2004+ had the new PCV design. As viggen says, 98-03 are fine if you just make sure to scope the oilpan (assuming they haven't sludged it, had it cleaned and then not mentioned it), but if you're wary.

astropika fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 28, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

The B235L and the B235R both have the TD04, yes. 2.3T (04-05) is a B235L, 2.3t is generally a B235E (with the garrett) unless it's a biopower (did they sell those in NA?). The B235R is always an aero with anywhere from 227hp to 256hp depending on year.

2004+ had the new PCV design. As viggen says, 98-03 are fine if you just make sure to scope the oilpan (assuming they haven't sludged it, had it cleaned and then not mentioned it), but if you're wary.

Its pretty easy to tell if they sludged and cleaned. Take it past 4K RPM. V:q:V

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Well that '85 SPG had the most haggard interior that I have ever seen, so I passed on that. I decided that I could put the $500 into my current SAAB and be much better off. It did have nice paint though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

Well that '85 SPG had the most haggard interior that I have ever seen, so I passed on that. I decided that I could put the $500 into my current SAAB and be much better off. It did have nice paint though.

Worse than my NG900?

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

Worse than my NG900?

Far, far worse. The dash was all ripped apart, there was no center console left, the headliner was gone, the seats were dicked, the steering column had been ripped apart with exposed wires everywhere, the radio was gone, and there was a screwdriver jammed into the ignition. If someone had a wrecked 3 door C900 with a good interior they could make off pretty well with the car though. I wouldn't stand to make any money on it even if I could source all of the missing trim pieces.

Aside from the seats in your vert, the interior doesn't look that bad, at least from the four CL pictures.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

Aside from the seats in your vert, the interior doesn't look that bad, at least from the four CL pictures.

It really isn't. Sunbaked in the desert for about 3 years, as I figure. Guy was an indy, but doesn't get Saab at all. Also seemed to have a ton of aborted projects (Triumph in garage in pieces, almost like he left strewn around the inside of the NG).

Just getting pissed at the nearest dismantle/salvage yard sending me the wrong NPS twice, with photos and part numbers. If they weren't $300 cheaper, I'd have found a new source by now.

Is it possible to resequence the 95's top without ISAT/Tech2? Guy said he dicked with the potentiometer already, and I still have to replace the flap motor. Everything else (other than NPS) is gravy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Part of owning a Saab is being a glutton for punishment. I'm noticing the rear camber is way out since both my back tires are wearing unevenly on the inside which probably also accounts to a shudder between 60-75 mph. I came to the Saab gods before purchasing new springs and shocks to be sure that's the fix for this since the car has 150k on it and I have no idea when those components were replaced. I also read the wagon specifically has questionable shocks. Also my rear right wheel almost looks hellaflush compared to the other side and my front looks like it's riding pretty high since it's sitting low in the rear.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I need a recommendation for an online source for an ignition coil for an 04 9-3 Aero. This will be the 3rd coil to go bad in the last two years.No one has them locally for less than $150. And I can't remember who I ordered from the last time.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bung posted:

I need a recommendation for an online source for an ignition coil for an 04 9-3 Aero. This will be the 3rd coil to go bad in the last two years.No one has them locally for less than $150. And I can't remember who I ordered from the last time.

This should be better: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1434373,parttype,7060,a,Search%2Bfor%2BTRIDON

Also, try this: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...5&_sop=15&_sc=1

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks keykey. I had forgotten about Rock Auto.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

keykey posted:

Part of owning a Saab is being a glutton for punishment. I'm noticing the rear camber is way out since both my back tires are wearing unevenly on the inside which probably also accounts to a shudder between 60-75 mph. I came to the Saab gods before purchasing new springs and shocks to be sure that's the fix for this since the car has 150k on it and I have no idea when those components were replaced. I also read the wagon specifically has questionable shocks. Also my rear right wheel almost looks hellaflush compared to the other side and my front looks like it's riding pretty high since it's sitting low in the rear.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=439&osCsid=293ebaf440d00a0aaad41a91de275e37

I've never played with these, but I imagine you could get some play in the rear camber through shimming before you go dropping the big bucks on sturts and springs.

In other news, I just bought a Viggen intercooler and the pipes for a decent price, and have a lead on a cheap rear swaybar, so the next couple of weeks should be entertaining.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=439&osCsid=293ebaf440d00a0aaad41a91de275e37

I've never played with these, but I imagine you could get some play in the rear camber through shimming before you go dropping the big bucks on sturts and springs.

In other news, I just bought a Viggen intercooler and the pipes for a decent price, and have a lead on a cheap rear swaybar, so the next couple of weeks should be entertaining.

Pretty sure you can hit up Nick Taliaferro (owner) on Facebook, but make sure you have your measurements if you want help beyond 'do it'. He's always making some crazy hairbrained thing for his TurboX.

Sounds like quite the project there.

So, why does a service kit for a V6 have 4 spark plugs in the UK?

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
My wife wants a used Saab Convertible. We're going Sunday to look at 2005 9-3 Arc with 65k miles, anything I should know about these before hand or watch for?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Cynode posted:

My wife wants a used Saab Convertible. We're going Sunday to look at 2005 9-3 Arc with 65k miles, anything I should know about these before hand or watch for?

Save up a few hundred to replace the blower motor & controller. I think that's pretty much a 9-3 rite of passage. Cost me ~$700 at an indy, but if you're handy you can DIY it. You might even be able to test & fix the blower motor before it seizes and burns up everything.

Pay attention to the transmission. IIRC 9-3s between 03-05 with automatic transmissions have had some issues. Some of them are simple sensor fixes but others are nasty. Get a good mechanic with Tech2 to check it out... they'll know what to look for. Of course you should just buy a manual :)

Be sure the mechanic runs the VIN through IRIS so you can see what work has been done.

Negotiate hard because let's be honest, Saab's aren't exactly holding their value right now.

Oh and be sure it comes with more than one key, and that both work, because if you lose your only key you are royally and totally screwed.

Speaking of keys... any availability?

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Kim Jong III posted:

Of course you should just buy a manual :)

Be sure the mechanic runs the VIN through IRIS so you can see what work has been done.

Negotiate hard because let's be honest, Saab's aren't exactly holding their value right now.

Oh and be sure it comes with more than one key, and that both work, because if you lose your only key you are royally and totally screwed.

My wife wants a manual, but this particular one is an auto. The only one I've seen in my local area that was a manual was a 2008 6 speed with 30k miles, but they want $23k for it. This one comes in range of Edmunds price (actually $500 cheaper, Edmunds says $12.5, they want $11.8 for it) but I figure this is at a dealer, in new england, in the winter, I could probably get it cheaper.

I had the same issue with my wife's can with keys, we only got one and the dealership charged $135 for a new one because they need 2 to make a copy, otherwise they have to crack open your dash and access the computer. so they said.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Kim Jong III posted:

Save up a few hundred to replace the blower motor & controller. I think that's pretty much a 9-3 rite of passage. Cost me ~$700 at an indy, but if you're handy you can DIY it.

Or if you have a Pick N Pull nearby and they currently have a 9-3 at your local PNP, you can get one for $35. Or you can get a new one through rockauto.com for $125.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Cynode posted:

My wife wants a manual, but this particular one is an auto. The only one I've seen in my local area that was a manual was a 2008 6 speed with 30k miles, but they want $23k for it. This one comes in range of Edmunds price (actually $500 cheaper, Edmunds says $12.5, they want $11.8 for it) but I figure this is at a dealer, in new england, in the winter, I could probably get it cheaper.

I had the same issue with my wife's can with keys, we only got one and the dealership charged $135 for a new one because they need 2 to make a copy, otherwise they have to crack open your dash and access the computer. so they said.

The 2008 might still be under warranty, and GM might plan on honoring those years. I dunno. Just something else to think about. I've never looked at Saab's that new but that feels high.

The keys are even worse - there isn't any opening the dash to work on the computer for 2003 and beyond, it's buying a brand new CIM and marrying it to the car... it's a four figure job, and that's even if the parts are available.

I'm calling around over lunch to see if the parts freeze has eased up and if keys are available. Crossing my fingers.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

keykey posted:

Or if you have a Pick N Pull nearby and they currently have a 9-3 at your local PNP, you can get one for $35. Or you can get a new one through rockauto.com for $125.

Yeah, absolutely. Unfortunately I'm in an area with few Saabs, but a few junkyards are starting to pick them up... and beyond that, I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to fix it even with the part.

One tip I've heard with the resistor - if you have MCC it's supposedly identical to the blower resistor on a '99 Catera, which tends to be ~$100 cheaper. I've never verified this, so I'm not positive, but if that's correct it's a good way to save some money.

EDIT: holyshitholyshitholyshit, eEuro apparently has keys for $45.
http://eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=12783781

E2: nope they don't they're all on backorder but for some reason they're taking your money anyway. it used to say "backordered", but now it doesn't :confused:

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 10, 2012

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Kim Jong III posted:

Pay attention to the transmission. IIRC 9-3s between 03-05 with automatic transmissions have had some issues. Some of them are simple sensor fixes but others are nasty. Get a good mechanic with Tech2 to check it out... they'll know what to look for. Of course you should just buy a manual :)

I think the transmission cooler seal failure stuff (dumping coolant into the transmission) was 03 only?

On the transmission, you can be sure that the fluid has never been changed, it's *lifetime fill* which is a load of bollocks. It's a lot easier to do with the 5-speed auto (af33/aw55), you actually have a dipstick, and you can use more normal fluid (JWS 3309/toyota type 4).

Cynode posted:

Yeah, I would not pay that. The 23k is taking a piss, new cars have been going for that in liquidation sales and not much more with the insane incentives before the bankruptcy.

Cynode posted:

Haha, if you lose both keys it costs over a thousand.

Kim Jong III posted:

EDIT: holyshitholyshitholyshit, eEuro apparently has keys for $45.
http://eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=12783781

Jumped on this, you can have 3 programmed. It says 1-2 days though :ohdear: so we'll see. Also, add something to take it over 50 (or 60?) for free shipping.

astropika fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

Jumped on this, you can have 3 programmed. It says 1-2 days though :ohdear: so we'll see. Also, add something to take it over 50 (or 60?) for free shipping.

They make promises that don't always fit, at a premium. Try TSS, they'll tell you flat out, and don't raise their own prices on a whim, either. eEuro is 'if you need it', but is a hell of a lot more expensive than doing research and hitting RockAuto.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Viggen posted:

They make promises that don't always fit, at a premium. Try TSS, they'll tell you flat out, and don't raise their own prices on a whim, either. eEuro is 'if you need it', but is a hell of a lot more expensive than doing research and hitting RockAuto.

If there were 03+ 9-3 keys on rockauto, that'd be great.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

If there were 03+ 9-3 keys on rockauto, that'd be great.

I said 'Try TheSaabSite'. If alt, check Rock, it's probably in some other Saturn, somewhere..

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

Cynode posted:

I'm just gonna rattle off all stuff I had to do when I bought my 04 9-3 with 92,xxx. Coils, power steering pump seal(super common and fairly easy), there's thin black trim above the doors that likes to slide down and knick the paint/look crappy. <-Those three are common. Replace ion module...previous onwer spilled coolant on it and killed it. Replaced the front amp. There's an amp for the door speakers and center channel on the stereo under the driver's seat, salt and moisture get in there and do bad things (common agian.) Replaced the blown rear 6x9's. Driver's bottom heated seat pad was bad(common.)Plus lots of basic wear and tear stuff; tie rods, ball joints, struts, mounts, cv boots, etc.

Check here for some other common stuff. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83969

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I had no idea such a thing even existed :stare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Pro_Series

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I had no idea such a thing even existed :stare:

There's plenty of cool poo poo. You just need to BE there to witness it.

Also, got my NG900's NPS issues fixed. It's throwing a random MIL, but, eh, who knows what - thanks, 1995. Shifted fine, but I still poo poo myself every time it'd engage.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So, the 9-3 had lovely winter wheels/tires, the 9-5 came with so-so winter wheels+tires and lovely summer tires on decent wheels.

9-3 gets the 9-5 winter setup, 9-5 summer wheels get winter tires.

All good.

But now I am without summer anything for the 9-5. :D

Looking at Oz Superturismos. Anyone run these on a 9-5? Only been able to find a single picture of one with those wheels.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

There's plenty of cool poo poo. You just need to BE there to witness it.

Also, got my NG900's NPS issues fixed. It's throwing a random MIL, but, eh, who knows what - thanks, 1995. Shifted fine, but I still poo poo myself every time it'd engage.

If the MIL isn't lit up on an old Saab then you know the lamp's broken.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

If the MIL isn't lit up on an old Saab then you know the lamp's broken.

I replaced the NPS and flushed the bitch of everything but oil. Runs fine, but sets MIL after about 5 miles. :haw: Probably checking MAF next.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Looking at Oz Superturismos. Anyone run these on a 9-5? Only been able to find a single picture of one with those wheels.

Don't know a drat thing about them. I really liked the Eagle GTs.

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007
so on my 01 9-3 the front power window switches work, but the switches operating the rear windows don't.
The rear windows DO work when you use the switches in the rear doors.

Minor problem, but what could be the cause?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

tayLOVE posted:

so on my 01 9-3 the front power window switches work, but the switches operating the rear windows don't.
The rear windows DO work when you use the switches in the rear doors.

Minor problem, but what could be the cause?

All of those wires are on the same bundle; I'd say it probably had something dumped into it and the switches are not making proper contact. You could try jumping the proper wires after removing the switch to see if it works, but I highly doubt it is the harness at fault.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Great. NG900 DOA again. Had a storm. Got wet when the wind ripped the tied-down cover off of the car. Fuses OK, but windows don't work. Cranks, but won't catch. Plugs are getting gas, but not firing. Ticking noise at initial start attempt down by coils. Can't trace, because it's gone too quick.

gently caress it. Battery goes back in the garage for a 2A slow trickle while I decided what the hell to do with it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did some runs with the Dynolicious iOS app. People who have tested it on the strip and against a dyno have found it to be very accurate when used right. Did a bunch of runs (can only really put down power in 3rd gear with the winter tires on) and got 237whp several times. Sounds a bit high for the Aero, so wondering if I either got the weight wrong (3800 lbs incl tank of gas and driver), the app is off a bit more than expected, or my car (bought used with three previous owners) at some point was the recipient of a stage 1 tune...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Decided on some rimzzzzzz finally. Getting the Monza RS in 18x7.5 with some decent tires:
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/18_Inch_Team_Dynamics_Monza_RS_Black_Red_Alloy_Wheels__1218

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Decided on some rimzzzzzz finally. Getting the Monza RS in 18x7.5 with some decent tires:
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/18_Inch_Team_Dynamics_Monza_RS_Black_Red_Alloy_Wheels__1218

18s? Really? You're going to be rubbing, and probably gushing fuel when you fill in a few thousand miles.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HA HA!!! The CEL came back on.. Oh.. It's on Saab, you and me have a date with an obd2 scanner to see your dirty little secret you've been hiding behind with an idiot light. And if you think you're gonna trick me into playing with your DIC again, you're sorely mistaken!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

18s? Really? You're going to be rubbing, and probably gushing fuel when you fill in a few thousand miles.

Lots of folks around here running 18s. With 225s there aren't any issues as long as you don't gently caress up the offset.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

HA HA!!! The CEL came back on.. Oh.. It's on Saab, you and me have a date with an obd2 scanner to see your dirty little secret you've been hiding behind with an idiot light. And if you think you're gonna trick me into playing with your DIC again, you're sorely mistaken!

..so long as it's not a 1995 :devil:

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Lots of folks around here running 18s. With 225s there aren't any issues as long as you don't gently caress up the offset.

Good luck. No yank SAAB owners are so lucky, and end up pissing gas upon their rear wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
http://www.just-auto.com/news/shocked-and-upset-brightwell-confirms-ending-saab-race_id120698.aspx

quote:

Saab bidder Brightwell Holdings says it is "shocked" and "very upset" after withdrawing from the bid to secure approval to restart production at the Swedish automaker.

The Turkish private equity company claims "intransigence" by GM led to its decision to ditch any prospective buyout - a view the Detroit manufacturer has refuted insisting its licencing technology "is not on the table."

Brightwell's ire stems partly from the fact it claims it spent millions of Euros to secure the right to restart production at the Swedish automaker's Trollhattan base and has expressed bafflement at GM's position.

"Shocked is an understatement," Brightwell Holdings partner Zamier Ahmed told just-auto. "I am very, very upset. We have spent millions of Euros getting together collaborators and using third parties, as well as in-house - we really don't understand their intransigence.

"I can only assume they have no interest in keeping Saab alive - if this is their attitude then I don't think anyone has a fair chance."

GM has long questioned allowing its technology licences for Saab to be used by potential competitors, previously raising objections to Chinese manufacturer, Youngman, concerning technology and control transfer issues, effectively scuppering its former bid.

The US automaker had said it would not agree to existing technology licences or the continued supply of 9-4X vehicles to the Swedish manufacturer if there was a - Chinese - change of control. GM has a major existing relationship with Chinese company, SAIC.

But Brightwell points to its Turkish roots and that it would have restarted production in Saab's home town of Trollhattan.

"We are not Chinese," said Ahmed. "We are on the cusp of Europe, product is made here and exported all over the world. In any case, we would continue production in Trollhattan, not Turkey."

Despite Ahmed's bleak assessment, the Brightwell partner did not entirely rule out revisiting the Saab question, although the chances appear slim.

"If GM hands me a call this afternoon, I will jump on a 'plane and visit them in Detroit," he said.
God, gently caress GM. This is just some anticompetitive poo poo at this point.