Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just paid $29 for SoD. The extra $10 for Int. shipping hurt like hell, though. Still, it wasn't much more expensive than just buying the book from the store, so I guess it's worth it just to support the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Reminder that none of you have actually paid yet, the money only goes out when the funding period ends.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The "Dim Sun" comic will at the very least get $10 from me. But it also makes me wonder if he'll write more stories after OotS is over. I wouldn't mind seeing a Spelljammer-based comic.

Edit: Also, everyone would have noticed this but, V's Dim Sun character is a thri-kreen so you still can't tell his/her gender. That got a chuckle out of me!

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 30, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

hopefully he writes something that isn't bound some some published ruleset that makes nerds focus more on the accuracy of their portrayal and less on the actual story.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

HKR posted:

hopefully he writes something that isn't bound some some published ruleset that makes nerds focus more on the accuracy of their portrayal and less on the actual story.

Oh come on, you should know better than that. Nerds would attempt to discern the underlying rules of Rich's universe and how self-consistent he's being.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

HKR posted:

That we fill the time talking about the system doesn't mean it's the absolute focus. Every time it updates the thread buzzes talking about the actual plot and characters, and then poo poo drags and we talk about systems.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

HKR posted:

Actually, he recently posted about this in the forum in response to a topic complaining that the strip was barely about D&D rules anymore.

The Giant posted:

I am 37 years old. Do you think that when I think about the next 40 years of my life, that I want to spend them making D&D webcomics? No. Of course not. This is my life, not a hobby. This isn't some lark that I'm doing during college that I'll forget about when I get a real job. This is the start of what I hope will be a career that will last the rest of my life. This is how I put food on the table for my family. Eschewing plot and character for a lifetime of easy cracks about Spot checks is not a career. It's pathetic. And it wouldn't last.

If I'm going to be a writer for a living, then there was ALWAYS going to be a point where I needed to put away the sillier gags and start writing a worthwhile story. Whether that was during OOTS or in between the transition from OOTS to whatever I do next, it was going to happen, or else OOTS becomes just a flash-in-the-pan that is forgotten when the rules it satirizes fade from public consciousness. I don't even think I'm there yet, but at least I've started trying.

What it comes down to is that I prioritize my overall development as a writer over the short-term enjoyment of that small minority of current readers that only want to see rules-based spoofs. Because most of the people who only want to read rule jokes are already gone. And because there are more people in the world who enjoy good fiction than enjoy good jokes about D&D, and I'm in this for the long haul.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't help but think of that complaint as "tell more jokes we already know! Like the one about the commoner railgun!"

OotS really has some of the dumbest fans in webcomics. And I used to moderate the 8-Bit Theater forums so I've seen my share.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I used to moderate the 8-Bit Theater forums
:ohdear: You poor bastard.

Fans are stupid. People are stupid. And online, we have less of a reason to not share them, and so you end up with a situation where someone who's 13 and talking out their rear end gets exactly as much voice as a literary professor.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Just binged through this over the weekend, it was really, really good. Can't believe I've missed it this long.

Quick question though, what's the update schedule? was just going to watch and see, but the last one is from 2011 - does he take a break or something?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My understanding is that Rich has an undisclosed but significant chronic illness that contributes to an incredibly inconsistent update schedule. Also he's working on all these books, I expect.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Casao posted:

Just binged through this over the weekend, it was really, really good. Can't believe I've missed it this long.

Quick question though, what's the update schedule? was just going to watch and see, but the last one is from 2011 - does he take a break or something?

He's actually been really active with updates this month, especially last week, he just hasn't updated the year on the comic pages it seems.

There is no update schedule. Sometimes he goes over a week without posting a comic, sometimes we get 3-4 days with a comic each day such as last week, which I think he does on purpose for big moments like what was happening with Redcloak. Other than that though it's fairly unpredictable, Rich has some sort of non-fatal chronic illness he hasn't disclosed that keeps him from working at times.

edit: Yeah and he's working on other things too, especially with that kickstarter going on so strong right now.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Casao posted:

Now's a good time for you to check out the prequel books, On the Origin of PCs and, especially, Start of Darkness.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Manyorcas posted:

Rich has some sort of non-fatal chronic illness he hasn't disclosed that keeps him from working at times.

Non-fatal... so far :ohdear:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Nenonen posted:

He has a far better chance of finishing his work then certain epic fantasy writers

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Nenonen posted:

He's got a good Fort save.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nenonen posted:

Well, everything's fatal if you wait long enough.

HKR posted:

He has a far better chance of finishing his work then certain epic fantasy writers

And now I'm depressed.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Niton posted:

Also, that :10bux: buys you the 3 other stories that are going to be chosen by the $1,250 donors, so you'll wind up with a total of six (6!) stories - it's an insane deal. We don't know what those stories are going to be, but I would place money on Tsukiko being one of them given how the comic's gone recently.

I'm thinking one of those people is going to pick the Monster in the Darkness, if only to try and get more clues as to what it is.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0832.html

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

And Redcloak knocks it out of the park...again!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Tell me you have a plan, Redcloak. :ohdear:

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Redcloak has elephant nuts.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Good, now back this up with lying by omission and boom, flawless victory for Redcloak. Also, these last few strips have been propelling Redcloak up the ladder in terms of villain skill, it's quite wonderful to see.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I guess maybe Rich didn't want Tarquin pulling focus...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Manyorcas posted:

He's actually been really active with updates this month, especially last week, he just hasn't updated the year on the comic pages it seems.

There is no update schedule. Sometimes he goes over a week without posting a comic, sometimes we get 3-4 days with a comic each day such as last week, which I think he does on purpose for big moments like what was happening with Redcloak. Other than that though it's fairly unpredictable, Rich has some sort of non-fatal chronic illness he hasn't disclosed that keeps him from working at times.

edit: Yeah and he's working on other things too, especially with that kickstarter going on so strong right now.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I figured he might be taking a break for Kickstarter, didn't realize all the recent ones are just 2012.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Now's a good time for you to check out the prequel books, On the Origin of PCs and, especially, Start of Darkness.

I just picked the Start of Darkness pack on the Kickstarter, so I should be getting that. It includes like, 4 PDF things now from bonuses too, doesn't it?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Don't Split The Party has been added to the bonuses. If you want to drop some money and get the whole signed series, now's the chance.

Edit: The autographed series, priced at $305, sold out in 20 minutes. :stare:

$575 gets you the autographed series and crayon drawings of one or two characters of your choice, but there are only a few left!

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 31, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

LightWarden posted:

Don't Split The Party has been added to the bonuses. If you want to drop some money and get the whole signed series, now's the chance.

And he's already out of those (and only has 7 left of the super signed package!)

The draw of OotS is far bigger than I had ever imagined.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think Rich underestimated OOTS's popularity as well.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Where do I have to throw my money to get PDF versions of everything Rich Burlew has ever made?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Niton posted:

And he's already out of those (and only has 7 left of the super signed package!)

The draw of OotS is far bigger than I had ever imagined.

It's both consistent and consistently good (despite all the griping the internet likes to do about everything ever always), it's been around for a good while, and it fills a niche that, at least as far as I know, hasn't been filled (semi-serious fantasy/comedy that is never a weird, creepy self-insert fetish exploration). The art, while simple, works amazingly well, and Rich has gotten fantastic at using the comic-panel medium to tell a story. I was surprised at this outpouring of Kickstarter money as well, though looking at all the elements, I suppose I shouldn't have been.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I think Rich underestimated OOTS's popularity as well.

As the OOTS Super-PAC keeps growing its war chest there's finally going to be a serious NPC (non-partisan contender) for POTUS.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's both consistent and consistently good (despite all the griping the internet likes to do about everything ever always), it's been around for a good while, and it fills a niche that, at least as far as I know, hasn't been filled (semi-serious fantasy/comedy that is never a weird, creepy self-insert fetish exploration). The art, while simple, works amazingly well, and Rich has gotten fantastic at using the comic-panel medium to tell a story. I was surprised at this outpouring of Kickstarter money as well, though looking at all the elements, I suppose I shouldn't have been.

A short-lived character who was a parody of self-insert fantasies would likely be funny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just wait until they explore the world inside the rift and find its God-King and Emperor, a suspiciously familiar bearded man behind a computer desk.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Xykon, even while WTFing, is clearly not pleased. Let's hope your dice roll well for your next words, Redcloak.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just wait until they explore the world inside the rift and find its God-King and Emperor, a suspiciously familiar bearded man behind a computer desk.
And he will defeat Xykon, a broken and half-crazed old man, by simply drawing, then erasing him. It will be a fitting climax for a story that's been built up and waited on for so long. Afterwards, the greatest threat to the characters' existence will be an event in said creator's life, which won't be seen as heavy-handed or self-indulgent at all. At the end, when the last strip is the same as the first strip, except Roy has a magic horn, it will be a good and fulfilling ending, and not at all a copout.

No, I'm not bitter at all.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 31, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Let's just say that while I didn't start writing the post with the intention to draw that parallel, it did occur to me before I was less than half done.

The climactic event that saves the OotS world: Durkon casts Cure Disease on Rich.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

Xykon, even while WTFing, is clearly not pleased. Let's hope your dice roll well for your next words, Redcloak.

Yeah but she's already 'what's-her-name' to him (called it). As far as Xykon is concerned right now Redcloak is on-side and it's in his nature to appreciate the use of naked force so long as it doesn't threaten him.

e: also that's the same expression that Xykon has had all page. He's not WTF-ing at all, and if you want to see his shock and anger expressions go back to the strip where he loses his Phylactery.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 31, 2012

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but she's already 'what's-her-name' to him (called it). As far as Xykon is concerned right now Redcloak is on-side and it's in his nature to appreciate the use of naked force so long as it doesn't threaten him.

No, that's definitely stick-figure skeleton madface in the last panel. There's gonna be something, but I bet Redcloak talks X out of it...or so he will think till later.

DUH-DUH-DUNNNNN!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Let's just say that while I didn't start writing the post with the intention to draw that parallel, it did occur to me before I was less than half done.

The climactic event that saves the OotS world: Durkon casts Cure Disease on Rich.
Then again, we are talking about a series where one of the second (?) book's major climaxes is a riddle contest with a sentient runaway train, solved by a much less classy "what's in my pocket".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

No, that's definitely stick-figure skeleton madface in the last panel. There's gonna be something, but I bet Redcloak talks X out of it...or so he will think till later.

DUH-DUH-DUNNNNN!

Look at his face in panels one through ten. In that scope he as been:

1. Questioning/annoyed
2. Surprised
3. Bemused
4. Sympathetic
5. Satisfied
6. Passive-aggressive
9. Vindictive
10. Businesslike

Judging by the incredible variance in his facial expressions during that time try and judge how he's feeling with no dialog in panel 11. I'll wait.

The Rooster posted:

Redcloak has elephant nuts.

Or a very accurate estimation of Xykon's interest in his allies.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 31, 2012