Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

quote:

PanoPlanet Live Wallpaper is pretty cool. Doesn't noticably slow down the home screen on my Galaxy Nexus, unlike other wallpapers, that you'd expect to be leaner in CPU usage.

This looks amazing. Going to install it on my tablet later, I hope it works and looks as great in that resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:
PanoPlanet Live Wallpaper is pretty cool. Doesn't noticably slow down the home screen on my Galaxy Nexus, unlike other wallpapers, that you'd expect to be leaner in CPU usage.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jfreu.panoplanetwallpaper

I'm enjoying Pixel Rain too much to switch but that there's a nice wallpaper.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

PanoPlanet

Please tell me where to get that specific wallpaper.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

whiskas posted:

Not appearing in the recent apps list is intentional, it's one of the methods we use to cover up your tracks. If you want to have the app start where you left off then check the "keep running in background" option in the privacy & security settings.

URL's are only remembered if they are typed in after you login, so you may have typed your password in after you had already unlocked your stashes. You can clear the url history by using the "clear address bar history" option in the privacy & security settings, you must be logged in to see this option. Saved URL's are never shown when not logged in.

We did experiment with allowing Beaver to be set as the default browser on your device, however we found there are still some pretty big features that are missing to make it fill the gap of a primary browser, specifically, a download manager. Once Beaver can fill the shoes of a regular browser we make it settable as the default browser.

Thanks for the explanation. Clearing the address bar history fixed the password showing up.

Can it be made a setting whether beaver shows in the recent app list? It would make things a lot less cumbersome.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
I have a HTC Desire HD and ever since the latest Android OS update GO Locker and GO Launcher EX has been hosed up. The Sense locker and GO Locker are in a never ending battle for supremacy. GO Locker is set as default but the Sense locker will just randomly show up out of nowhere and lock the phone, sometimes even when I am using it. Should I just use the lovely Sense locker until GO Locker is compatible? Or is it just me?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So there's an app called Radioactivity Counter. Supposedly it uses the CMOS sensor in the camera to detect radiation (though you have to cover the camera with something like a piece of electrical tape). I don't keep radioactive things around, but I decided to give it a try anyway. Surprisingly, though, it would let out clicks around my wireless router pretty dependably so maybe it actually works?

For what it's worth, the front camera on my Galaxy Nexus seems to work better than the rear; again, though, I don't keep plutonium in the house.

Any nuke-happy Goons feel like dropping $5 and checking it out?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lprsti99 posted:

Please tell me where to get that specific wallpaper.
From Flickr. If you search for "equirectangular" on it, you'll find tons of stuff that works with PanoPlanet.

Wallpaper in question:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethankillian/4930977297/

It's protected by some lovely transparent overlay, as usual with Flickr. Direct link is:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4117/4930977297_075b5bc951_b.jpg

It's just 1024x512, but it doesn't blur much in PanoPlanet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

lelandjs posted:

So there's an app called Radioactivity Counter. Supposedly it uses the CMOS sensor in the camera to detect radiation (though you have to cover the camera with something like a piece of electrical tape). I don't keep radioactive things around, but I decided to give it a try anyway. Surprisingly, though, it would let out clicks around my wireless router pretty dependably so maybe it actually works?

For what it's worth, the front camera on my Galaxy Nexus seems to work better than the rear; again, though, I don't keep plutonium in the house.

Any nuke-happy Goons feel like dropping $5 and checking it out?

I read about it last week & am dying to try it out. Do you have a smoke detector in your house? Pop the cover off as if to change the battery, the beta source should be clearly labelled.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cakefool posted:

I read about it last week & am dying to try it out. Do you have a smoke detector in your house? Pop the cover off as if to change the battery, the beta source should be clearly labelled.

Well here's the thing (and by thing I mean "decent evidence that I may have been swindled"); apparently the sensor can't sense beta sources and things like luminescent watch hands are too well shielded for the phone to pick up. At least that's what they claim in the app description.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Switching my brain on for a moment:
Alpha: helium nuclei, stopped easily by paper
Beta: high energy electron or positron, stopped by skin or thin aluminium
Gamma: high energy em radiation, attenuated by lead

Beta may get to a sensor, probably will be blocked by lens + tape, is found in smoke detectors. Alpha has no chance so yes, we'll need a verified gamma source to check this out.

Does anyone have access to a high-school or higher physics or chemistry lab?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
How do custom lockscreen software, PIN/Pattern unlocks, etc all work together? I dislike my default non locked down Samsung lockscreen but I'm not sure if going third party somehow makes it more of a hassle to activate a pattern lock or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
CCD devices aren't sensitive enough for beta and gamma radiation, it would just pass through the reactive silicon without any ionization strong enough to produce a visible effect. An uncovered CCD as from a cellphone camera will start showing noise in the presence of an alpha emitter, though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uncovered as in no lens?

Edit: answered my own question - CCD won't detect Beta & Gamma, CMOS would detect all 3, the lens assembly will kill Alpha.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got access to the Steam app. It's pretty interesting. I think Valve actually used an ICS Nexus S to develop this because it follows some of Google's ICS rules and even has a sort of ICS blue theme going on with taps and whatnot. It's really nice.

The app is very smooth on my NS4G and it seems that you can buy games from the app itself and it'll show up in your game library on your PC. However, I don't have the funds to test this currently.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got access to the Steam app.

Speaking of which, I have some invites to this if anyone is interested. PM or AIM me or whatever.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Widgetsoid was just updated and it now has a feature to force the notification toggles to stay at the top of the shade. So far it's working on my GN and it's not virtually identical to the built in notification toggles some ROMs have.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did Facebook change something with its contacts API recently? I haven't been able to get SyncMyPix to pull any contact photos lately. It just gives an error about not being able to connect to the social network.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

hooah posted:

Did Facebook change something with its contacts API recently? I haven't been able to get SyncMyPix to pull any contact photos lately. It just gives an error about not being able to connect to the social network.

I'm able to. Try deleting the syncmypix app on your Facebook page and reauthenticating.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

az jan jananam posted:

I'm able to. Try deleting the syncmypix app on your Facebook page and reauthenticating.

Hmm. It doesn't actually appear in my Facebook apps page. I guess I'll try clearing the cache, then deleting SyncMyPix and try re-installing it.

Edit: yup, clearing the cache did it. Crazy TiBu.

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 30, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a SGS2 on Virgin Mobile Canada and I could have sworn that you could just Navigation in Google maps for turn by turn voice instruction without having to subscribe to anything. I have a friend in the US who also has this, though on a different phone, and does not pay anything for it.

Is this because I'm in Canada?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I have a SGS2 on Virgin Mobile Canada and I could have sworn that you could just Navigation in Google maps for turn by turn voice instruction without having to subscribe to anything. I have a friend in the US who also has this, though on a different phone, and does not pay anything for it.

Is this because I'm in Canada?

According to this it's been available in Canada for over 18 months. What problems are you having, and what are you trying to do to get it working?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

According to this it's been available in Canada for over 18 months. What problems are you having, and what are you trying to do to get it working?

I follow those exact steps. When I click on the blue arrow for Nav I'm asked to subscribe.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I follow those exact steps. When I click on the blue arrow for Nav I'm asked to subscribe.

Do you have a data plan with VM? You don't have to pay any extra fee specifically for Google Navigation, but it does use data to plan the route and download map data, so you need to have some kind of data connection to use it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's been months since I posted here looking for advice and I never found a way to get my app noticed/downloaded. Is there anything I should do with a failed app or is "Them the breaks" so to speak?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Do you have a data plan with VM? You don't have to pay any extra fee specifically for Google Navigation, but it does use data to plan the route and download map data, so you need to have some kind of data connection to use it.

Yes I do. I wonder if there is something on my phone or profile that didn't get set?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Yes I do. I wonder if there is something on my phone or profile that didn't get set?

Man, that's bizarre. If other apps are using data without a problem, then I'm really not sure what it could be. The only other thing I can think of to try would be to download Google Maps from the Market; it's possible that there's some kind of carrier modification on the version that came with your phone. Is there anyone here with firsthand experience with VM Canada who can chime in?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

It's been months since I posted here looking for advice and I never found a way to get my app noticed/downloaded. Is there anything I should do with a failed app or is "Them the breaks" so to speak?

Refresh our collective memories: what did the app do & how have you tried to promote it so far?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Man, that's bizarre. If other apps are using data without a problem, then I'm really not sure what it could be. The only other thing I can think of to try would be to download Google Maps from the Market; it's possible that there's some kind of carrier modification on the version that came with your phone. Is there anyone here with firsthand experience with VM Canada who can chime in?

I think I found it. Virgin resells Bell in Canada so I just adjusted my search and found this.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/149683-bell-mobility-gps-read-if-bell-user-please.html

Basically Bell puts a Branded app in the phone that requires payment. There are other Bell apps that came stock on the phone so that makes sense I guess.

So the next question would be if there are any free GPS apps that offer turn by turn direction.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

I think I found it. Virgin resells Bell in Canada so I just adjusted my search and found this.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/149683-bell-mobility-gps-read-if-bell-user-please.html

Basically Bell puts a Branded app in the phone that requires payment. There are other Bell apps that came stock on the phone so that makes sense I guess.

So the next question would be if there are any free GPS apps that offer turn by turn direction.

I like Waze.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Refresh our collective memories: what did the app do & how have you tried to promote it so far?

I was going to post the details (I didn't expect anyone to have remembered) I was just accepting that it's not done anything. Sorry.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.appwolf.dealographer&hl=en

The app lets you post tags to a map that others can view, the tags cover things in retail stores like markdowns/discounts/clearance. The app is also free. I had intended on justifying the expense of ads once it demonstrated it would get traffic (it hasn't)

I got the idea working in retail since every store I visit/worked in always had unique deals on items that were specific only to that store, unadvertised anywhere else, and sold out whenever someone walked by who wanted it. I wanted to give people a way to keep track of and find these items in stores.

For example my local Lowes had $90 gas grills for $7 because they were "Nonstock" items in our computer system. They sat on the bottom of the clearance rack for days until I decided I wanted a gas grill. Had that been advertised someone would have bought it immediately.

The one distinction I want to make posting this again is this is not like groupon/4square, this has no social media aspects, this is not a daily deal app. It does not partner with retailers or companies to give someone "% off item X" it keeps track of incredibly cheap items that exist in pretty much every retail environment and are such short term sales they can't be advertised anywhere else.

I released the app in September and had a small group of people posting items to the database for me. During the creation I had contacted every App review website I could think of with my app but never got a reply from anyone. I contacted people listed on twitter/facebook who would write about start-ups and again didn't get a reply. I bought facebook ads and shilled it to pretty much everyone I know but nothing.

I never got over the "people have to use this for people to want to use this" barrier.

Edit: If I remember right I was discussing the app with you cakefool. So I never found a solution.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

It's worth installing the latest version of stock Google Maps and seeing if that works, but if they're actually blocking access to the GPS at the OS level, your only real choice would be a custom ROM. From the looks of it, though, they're only blocking their bundled app, so try the Google app in that link and see if it works.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you download Google Maps from the Market, navigation is included. I know some carrier SGS2's have carrier GPS in addition to Google, but I'm not aware of it being stripped out altogether. It should be titled Navigation in the app drawer.

Considered rooting, I suppose?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Space Crabs posted:

discount item finder

I liked the idea of your app, but it was one of those things where it would rely on stores and users to adjust the database in real time right?

Apps that use that kind of crowdsourcing and are popular tend to have some sort of rewards system for contributing. People need to be bribed to do anything basically.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Space Crabs I remember it now. I have no further advice & other than just keep plugging deals in as you see them I don't know how to get the ball rolling. Do you have an equivalent to mse.com or other deal-seeking forums you could target directly?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zer0spunk posted:

I liked the idea of your app, but it was one of those things where it would rely on stores and users to adjust the database in real time right?

Apps that use that kind of crowdsourcing and are popular tend to have some sort of rewards system for contributing. People need to be bribed to do anything basically.

Yeah, that was the problem. I never solved it as I have no way to offer rewards. I explored the possibility at the outset, I went six months from the time of conception to the time of creation and considered all of that.

I tried contacting smaller chain retailers, even larger ones with the proposition that my app could clear out their perishable stock/clearance at a faster rate. I never got a reply from anyone.

I figured then if I could concentrate in one area and get it active that would start a traffic chain reaction, but no managers in charge of pricing, even ones I knew personally, wanted to hear anything about it.

I kicked around the idea of a rewards system but I'm in debt and making the app was hard enough, I can't offer anyone money (The idea was to give .1 cents per post, but that led to issues with abuses of a monetary based system that would put me on the hook for a trillion dollars when someone realized how to rapid post fake posts or something I hadn't foreseen). Due to no one responding to my correspondence I couldn't really offer any kind of partnership with anyone.

The only option I came close to being able to do was to apply the 5 star rating system in the app to usernames, have people have some kind of bragging rights for being the best deal finder, but the app sort of has to stand how it is, which isn't going to work apparently.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's one of those things without investors or capital for serious advertising the only way it'd work is if it was officially affiliated with a large chain or something. I feel for ya man, you've got an interesting idea born out of actually being in that industry and seeing the lack of anything existing but no real way to breakthrough and get the userbase you need.

And, you don't want to spend more money on this venture without any kind of return...I think all I would do is refocus like you said. Make it a local app if hopefully you're in a semi large populated area. Target a smaller section of stores and then hound the local press, then try and branch from there once you're seeing any sort of success. I wish I had better advice for you...

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Cross-posting from the general android thread:

So I'm working on setting my old Eris up as a media device for my car. I've got Spotify premium so I load music on via the app (as I no longer have mobile data). I run the audio in through a 3mm cable to my stereo. It gets power via the AC outlet.

However, what I'd like to do is set it up so that it begins playing automatically when I start the car. The phone should detect that it's receiving power and begin playing through Spotify.

I know Tasker is the go-to app for this sort of problem, but from what I've read it doesn't yet have the ability to directly control Spotify beyond starting the app. Is this true? I'd rather not plunk down the 6 or 7 bucks for Tasker if it won't even do what I need.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

It's worth installing the latest version of stock Google Maps and seeing if that works, but if they're actually blocking access to the GPS at the OS level, your only real choice would be a custom ROM. From the looks of it, though, they're only blocking their bundled app, so try the Google app in that link and see if it works.

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.

Give Waze a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Dark Knight posted:

Cross-posting from the general android thread:

So I'm working on setting my old Eris up as a media device for my car. I've got Spotify premium so I load music on via the app (as I no longer have mobile data). I run the audio in through a 3mm cable to my stereo. It gets power via the AC outlet.

However, what I'd like to do is set it up so that it begins playing automatically when I start the car. The phone should detect that it's receiving power and begin playing through Spotify.

I know Tasker is the go-to app for this sort of problem, but from what I've read it doesn't yet have the ability to directly control Spotify beyond starting the app. Is this true? I'd rather not plunk down the 6 or 7 bucks for Tasker if it won't even do what I need.
If you're just playing local files and not streaming, why even use the Spotify app? Just use the stock music player.

• Locked thread