Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone feel a bit disappointed by the last coupe of Scalped trades? Felt to me like one or two issues of main story padded with merely decent side-stories.

I dunno, I kinda liked learning more about some of the side players. Man, the Unwanted arc in volume 7 broke my heart too. Carol overhearing Shunka and Red Crow talking about her was a trip to frown town. That scene was pretty beautifully laid out and came as a surprise for a lot of reasons. It's kind of nice that Carol actually feels like a real character these days. Also Dash wore a really nice sweater in that arc and his dad didn't even get to see it...

The Nitz story in volume 8 felt really out of tune, but it also had Dash dragging Falls Down back to town like a goddamn champion of the universe after Catcher shot him the gently caress up. It's kind of funny with how violent the book is that saving a dude's life was the most :black101: moment of the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I'm with Parliament of Dogs, other than the Nitz story (the deus ex machina there seemed a little ridiculous, otherwise it was another awesome story) I've been enjoying the hell out of the last few trades.

The most recent issue was amazing. The epic Dash/Shunka fight that's been brewing for 55 issues finally comes and god drat was it worth the wait.

choobs fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 26, 2012

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think I'm a trade or two behind on Scalped, but when I started I thought it'd be one of the crappy modern anti-hero stories, with Dash just frowning a lot and saying he doesn't like people while acting like a real hero in every other way.

I am so glad I am so wrong.

Maybe it is because I read the trades, but it was a bit jarring recently when it really just dropped Dash and went off to deal with the other characters doing their own thing. It works, but Scalped really defies expectations in so many ways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

choobs posted:

The most recent issue was amazing. The epic Dash/Shunka fight that's been brewing for 55 issues finally comes and god drat was it worth the wait.

Maybe spoiler that? I dunno. Lots of people reading through trades here.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I just finished reading American Vampire #23. Skinner Sweet is back from the dead :bang:

Why, Snyder, why? I thought you were a better writer than this!

cyberpunksurvivor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 26, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I mean he was never shown to be explicitly dead, gold poisons them it doesn't end them. Just look at Hattie for example. I am going to wait before I pass judgement on him until I see either how he survived or the twist that it isn't him.

It's also pretty obvious who Travis is I am pretty drat sure he's the son of Cash, I suppose Felicia had to ditch him after he was cured

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

JackDarko posted:

I mean he was never shown to be explicitly dead, gold poisons them it doesn't end them. Just look at Hattie for example. I am going to wait before I pass judgement on him until I see either how he survived or the twist that it isn't him.

It's also pretty obvious who Travis is I am pretty drat sure he's the son of Cash, I suppose Felicia had to ditch him after he was cured

Yeah, but remember Hattie's jaw was sliced. If the gold star was used to crack her skull open or stab her in the heart it should've killed her. Her words, not mine.

Oh, and we saw Pearl stab Skinner in the heart with a gold dagger and the island nuked. Even if gold would just poison them, the blast should've finished him off.

And yeah, I agree with your theory. Travis Kidd must be Cash's kid.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Yeah, but remember Hattie's jaw was sliced. If the gold star was used to crack her skull open or stab her in the heart it should've killed her. Her words, not mine.

Oh, and we saw Pearl stab Skinner in the heart with a gold dagger and the island nuked. Even if gold would just poison them, the blast should've finished him off.

And yeah, I agree with your theory. Travis Kidd must be Cash's kid.

I don't think it hit him there, looking at the page it looks like he was stabbed in the chest, and he could have crawled into a hole of some sort. I guess Nukes don't kill vampires?

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

So I see American Vampire 22 is marked on the cover as a "New Storyline."

Is this at all a good place to jump into the series, or would I end up being lost and confused? I really regret missing out on the beginning, so eventually I would catch up in trades.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Staircase posted:

Is this at all a good place to jump into the series, or would I end up being lost and confused? I really regret missing out on the beginning, so eventually I would catch up in trades.

Yes. So far there's a very tiny amount of backstory that you've missed that seems relevant but mostly it is a very good jumping on point for a very very good series.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

Staircase posted:

As flat-out angry as I am at #23, I admit the Death Race arc is a good jumping on point. If, however, you're curious for a little backstory, look up the Survival of the Fittest miniseries.

And Snyder has gone on record that he'll be making more AV miniseries Wonder who'll be the new focus?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fnordcircle posted:

Another Vertigo question - since I'm still new to it. I hear a lot about the titles that people love but I'm wondering are there any titles that people just hate? That I might want to avoid as I go about prioritizing which titles to get a full run?

The one vertigo title I hear people complain about a lot is Fables. Even then, it starts out nice enough, but Willingham didn't have the common sense to retire the series when the primary antagonist was defeated. It's been puttering around doing nothing for the last few years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The one vertigo title I hear people complain about a lot is Fables. Even then, it starts out nice enough, but Willingham didn't have the common sense to retire the series when the primary antagonist was defeated. It's been puttering around doing nothing for the last few years.

Also when he sticks into his conservative beliefs like how great Israel is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

Or subtle jokes like how abortion is for savage "natives" and such.

Willingham's kind of a jerk, it ruined the series for me.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Man, Unwritten went even darker this week. Yikes :(

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah he does both these things a couple times. So if you can stomach Willingham's stupid political posturing they're okay for a bit before he shits the bed and refuses to change the sheets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

The one vertigo title I hear people complain about a lot is Fables. Even then, it starts out nice enough, but Willingham didn't have the common sense to retire the series when the primary antagonist was defeated.

Or to realise that he's nowhere near as clever or subtle as he thinks he is. I mean, did anyone not figure out who the Adversary was years before the big "reveal"?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

I mean, did anyone not figure out who the Adversary was years before the big "reveal"?

I figured it out when a friend was describing the bare bones of the plot for the first trade.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I know about the Israel bits, but where did he make jabs on abortion?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I know about the Israel bits, but where did he make jabs on abortion?

It was when Totenkinder was bragging about her increase in power to Baba Yaga. The sacrifice of the unborn was fueling her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Soonmot posted:

It was when Totenkinder was bragging about her increase in power to Baba Yaga. The sacrifice of the unborn was fueling her.

Also the doctor asks Rose if she want to get an abortion and she goes off on him as that something that the non fables do. Also they have no taxes and survive off donations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'll say the same thing I usually do whenever Fable comes up. I think people are over-exaggerating things about Fables, because they are upset about how the series turned to crap when it didn't end when it should have.

I mean the fable government not taxing anybody is definitely not portrayed as a good thing in the series. They constantly had to beg people for money and were always in debt. The ultimate solution to the problem was just straight up killing a dude and stealing all his riches.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'll say the same thing I usually do whenever Fable comes up. I think people are over-exaggerating things about Fables, because they are upset about how the series turned to crap when it didn't end when it should have.

I mean the fable government not taxing anybody is definitely not portrayed as a good thing in the series. They constantly had to beg people for money and were always in debt. The ultimate solution to the problem was just straight up killing a dude and stealing all his riches.

Yeah, the biggest problem with Fables is that it had a few bright spots in the beginning, and then I slogged through another 50 issues waiting for those bright spots to come back, but it never got better than bland. Animal Farm was pretty firmly in his conservative anti-communist ideals too, but it was actually a good arc so nobody cares.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, the biggest problem with Fables is that it had a few bright spots in the beginning, and then I slogged through another 50 issues waiting for those bright spots to come back, but it never got better than bland.

What I really disliked was Willingham's response to the criticism of his blatant proselytizing. If he'd shown any remorse or admitted maybe he went too far, then it'd be understandable...but no, he was "I'm not apologizing for 'the characters' political views. They shouldn't be ashamed of them."

Like, come on, no one's fooled.

It really soured the series for me and thus the tapering-off of the quality wasn't excusable. I think it was about the time Jack of Fables changed from "lovable rogue" to "murdering rapist" was the time Willingham and his staff went off the deep end.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Propaganda exists all over. Is the issue that you find his propaganda obvious to the point of detracting from the story or that you don't agree with it?

I've never read Fables, so I have no frame of reference here. I'm just mindful of the fact that sometimes people are fine with something if they agree with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

fnordcircle posted:

Propaganda exists all over. Is the issue that you find his propaganda obvious to the point of detracting from the story or that you don't agree with it?

I've never read Fables, so I have no frame of reference here. I'm just mindful of the fact that sometimes people are fine with something if they agree with it.

This was the climax to the story

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

fnordcircle posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with him, nor would I be so petty so as to stop reading someone I disagreed with. There's a fine line between having characters be characters versus your own mouthpieces.

I still read it if I have the chance (library and such) but I definitely am not collecting it nor is its decline in quality excusable.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

fnordcircle posted:

In the big confrontation between the Big Bad Wolf and the Adversary, Big goes off on a 1 page speech on how awesome Israel is. It was poo poo, and it would have been poo poo if it was a justification for single payer healthcare and gay marriage.

It is true that Willingham being a jerk doesn't win him any fans, but if I had a choice between making him liberal and making him write better dialog, it would be the dialog all the way. His plots and motivations are good enough, but his characters all have the same voice and that voice is exposition.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I think if there's one moment that fully solidified my hatred of Fables and Willingham it was when he had a shitfit a couple years ago at SDCC over the fact that there might be people in the audience that were just sitting through his panel because they really just wanted to see the next panel.

He was a loving child about the whole thing and went so far as to describe what a book is and how it worked in a demeaning fashion. The whole thing just soured me to Fables and anything he's done.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

This was the climax to the story

Is this real :psyduck:?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Is this real :psyduck:?

It's real, though it's compressed slightly.

Here's the full image with the speakers visible:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iD9hvznZye8/St4Z-R4JFhI/AAAAAAAAAAs/zlgEVEW-zi0/s1600-h/fables_050-23.jpg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vertigo doesn't have a clear "flagship" title without Fables and it's spinoffs. Even if Willingham wanted to end it (he doesn't he knows he won't land another profile gig anywhere) Vertigo will convince him to stay on. All the other big series had an end in sight and the writers knew when to bow out. Willingham is like that party guest who just won't leave even thought everyone else is gone and you're ready to go to sleep.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Vertigo doesn't have a clear "flagship" title without Fables and it's spinoffs. Even if Willingham wanted to end it (he doesn't he knows he won't land another profile gig anywhere) Vertigo will convince him to stay on. All the other big series had an end in sight and the writers knew when to bow out. Willingham is like that party guest who just won't leave even thought everyone else is gone and you're ready to go to sleep.

What do you call Hellblazer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call Hellblazer

A book that gets no press and is literally only still going because it's been around so long. Time Warner wanted to cancel it and restart it as Constantine back when the film was released. Karen Berger fought it tooth and nail because she knew that if they relaunched it with a new #1 there would be no saving it when sales dropped.

Hellblazer is anything but a flagship book, especially since John Constantine is now back in the main DCU.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fnordcircle posted:

Even if you can tolerate Willingham's point of view, the slow death of the series is a bigger concern. That's why I mentioned the writing before Willingham's (repellant) personality and political position. All packaged together though, it's almost an interesting train wreck. Except for the comic itself; that's just dull.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even if you can tolerate Willingham's point of view, the slow death of the series is a bigger concern. That's why I mentioned the writing before Willingham's (repellant) personality and political position. All packaged together though, it's almost an interesting train wreck.

Lets not forget he is responcible for War Games and Spoiler being tortured to death in it. Then when people complained about it he basicly told them to go gently caress themselves

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget he is responcible for War Games and Spoiler being tortured to death in it. Then when people complained about it he basicly told them to go gently caress themselves

Ha, holy poo poo, War Games was the reason I stopped buying Batman, what a load of crap that was.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Two out of two Davids (me and Brothers) agree: War Games is the worst event in the history of superhero comics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ha, holy poo poo, War Games was the reason I stopped buying Batman, what a load of crap that was.
I especially "enjoy" the Giant Mutant Scarecrow that shows up for no reason at the end. I still don't know what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bobkatt013 posted:

Out of curiosity, I looked up about it, and apparently it was something that was already decided on before he was brought on-board the comic. Unless, I'm missing something.

• Locked thread