Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Peven Stan posted:

This isn't really a Excel question per se but here it goes. So I have a column of dollar figures that I want to sum but there are some cells that have stray bullshit in them (like #######), so when I sum them it just outputs that. Is there a way I can do that adding without hunting down those and deleting them (I also need them since it's a campaign finance report?
Make the column wider, it displays ###### when a number is too long for the column. At least that's how it works on the Windows version of Excel, I assume it's the same for the OS X one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

rawrr posted:

Is there a free or better alternative to Jitouch (for additional multitouch gestures)? I found it through this thread, but I'm looking for something perhaps a touch (...haha) more configurable or cheaper.

Although it doesn't have quite as many gestures as JiTouch, BetterTouchTool is just as configurable (if not more so) and is free.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I don't think I could go back to a computer without bettertouchtool. Quicksilver is in a close second after that.

Also it seems like a good time to mention that although Quicksilver was dead in the water for a long time, it's recently been picked back up by some new devs and they've been fixing a lot of bugs. There was a problem with the updater at one point so to go from version B61 to B63 (the current version) you will have to download it manually.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I've been tinkering with it at my dad's house the past few days and Paprika is a cool app but I think unless you are a power user/homemaker who wants to efficiently plan menus weeks in advance you can do the same thing in Evernote for free. The Evernote web clipper for Chrome is excellent at clipping from recipe websites.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is the App Store version of Growl regularly freezing for anybody else too? It lasts maybe half a day until no more notifications are displayed and when I mouse-over the statusbar icon, I get a beach ball. This is on a MBP running the latest Lion update.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I have Lion, and I just tried to run Minecraft for the first time, and had OS X download Java for it. Apparently this is only a 32bit version of Java 7. Is there any way to get a 64 bit version, as this will increase Minecraft performance a tad.

Nothing I can see on the Oracle website at all.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

thehustler posted:

I have Lion, and I just tried to run Minecraft for the first time, and had OS X download Java for it. Apparently this is only a 32bit version of Java 7. Is there any way to get a 64 bit version, as this will increase Minecraft performance a tad.

Applications > Utilities > Java Preferences. Make sure that the 64 but is first in list and checked. Should have been installed when Lion did its thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, is anyone besides me having some serious issues with Xmarks for Safari? Every other day I wake up to an error message that something is wrong and that the best way to fix it is to resync bookmarks, only when I hit OK the little logging in popup launches but the progress bar just stops moving.

Going through Console.app I find the following which might be relevant:

12-01-30 6:25:06.386 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: sendRequest failed on: https://static.xmarks.com/clients/version/safari.json: HTTPError()
12-01-30 6:25:06.387 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: Error in checkForUpgrade XmarksError: (0) HTTPError()

12-01-30 6:38:06.983 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: Assertion error!
12-01-30 6:38:06.984 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: _convertTreeNodeToNativeChange pnid
[('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Synchronizer.py', 505, 'runThread_', 'self.threadCallback()'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Synchronizer.py', 575, '_sync', 'self.syncEngine().sync()'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Synchronizer.py', 796, 'getRemoteChangesCallback', 'if(not self._getRemoteChangesetAndQueueLocally()):'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Synchronizer.py', 1100, '_getRemoteChangesetAndQueueLocally', 'self._translateFoxmarksChangesetEnqueueAppleChanges(commands)'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Synchronizer.py', 1028, '_translateFoxmarksChangesetEnqueueAppleChanges', 'nativeChangesAdditions = ct.getNativeChangesOrAdditions()'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/ChangesetTranslator.py', 120, 'getNativeChangesOrAdditions', 'result.append(self._convertTreeNodeToNativeChange(node, self.workingtree))'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/ChangesetTranslator.py', 559, '_convertTreeNodeToNativeChange', 'FoxmarksUtils.assertExp(pnid, "_convertTreeNodeToNativeChange pnid")'), ('/Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/FoxmarksUtils.py', 289, 'assertExp', 'stack = repr(traceback.extract_stack())')]
12-01-30 6:38:06.985 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: Error in _translateFoxmarksChangesetEnqueueAppleChanges: AssertionError()
12-01-30 6:38:07.400 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: syncCancelledCallback
12-01-30 6:38:10.462 AM Xmarks for Safari: XmarksLogger Error: Unable to get server changes
12-01-30 6:38:10.469 AM Xmarks for Safari: NSAlert is being used from a background thread, which is not safe. This is probably going to crash sometimes. Break on _NSAlertWarnUnsafeBackgroundThreadUsage to debug. This will be logged only once. This may break in the future.
12-01-30 7:33:41.260 AM SyncServer: [0x10e216e10] |DataManager|Warning| Client com.foxmarks.Foxmarks for Safari image file path /Applications/Xmarks for Safari.app/Contents/Resources/foxmarks_icon.icns does not exist.

So I dunno. Thoughts?

e: I should note I've gone through and done a repair and everything. Dunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 30, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

rawrr posted:

Is there a free or better alternative to Jitouch (for additional multitouch gestures)? I found it through this thread, but I'm looking for something perhaps a touch (...haha) more configurable or cheaper.
Nothing I found. It's got its flaws, but it's only $7.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

thehustler posted:

Beyond what was already said, I don't think Minecraft will use the x64 version by default (you can check in Activity Monitor).

You have to use the procedure given here to get x64. It does help stability tremendously.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

1. It is pretty much what it looks like. An accelerator for typing accented characters.
2. Open terminal, type "defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false" and reboot.

thanks!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a way to get Safari to search the middle of words when you do a Find (using 10.7)? It's now acting like Spotlight, where if you search for 'eapot' it won't find the word 'teapot.'

Fuuuck. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there anything to watch out for when doing Time Machine backups to a sparseimage on an SMB-shared network drive?

Would a network drop cause the "disk" to be corrupted?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

Is there a way to get Safari to search the middle of words when you do a Find (using 10.7)? It's now acting like Spotlight, where if you search for 'eapot' it won't find the word 'teapot.'

Fuuuck. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Yeah, in the field there's a little down triangle that gives you the option to switch between "contains" and "starts with".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, who handles the development of the Mac OS version of MS Office? Is it more Apple or Microsoft?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
All Microsoft's Mac Business Unit.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
No offense, but why would it ever make sense for Apple to develop a competitor's product when they develop iWork?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

No offense, but why would it ever make sense for Apple to develop a competitor's product when they develop iWork?
Office is a huge reason customers (particularly enterprise) stick with Windows. If Apple could have a quality Office counterpart for OS X, that removes a huge barrier for entry to the platform.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a pair of guys in my office who both own Macbooks and one of them is always bitching about how terrible MS Office is on his MBP. I never knew who developed the OS X "port" of Office so I was curious; I always assumed that, like most everything else for their OS, Apple took care of it.

E: Didn't know that. Fair enough.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 30, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

C-Euro posted:

There's a pair of guys in my office who both own Macbooks and one of them is always bitching about how terrible MS Office is on his MBP. I never knew who developed the OS X "port" of Office so I was curious; I always assumed that, like most everything else for their OS, Apple took care of it.

they develop their own native software and applications. They don't typically develop another company's software. There is plenty of third party software on Macs. "Most everything else," when it comes to applications, is developed by companies that are not Apple.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of iWork, does anyone know if there is a way to disable the “Press Alt to shift to cell selection mode” functionality in Numbers '09?

The issue is this: whenever I press Alt while editing a cell, the program thinks it's my intention to arrow-key my way to a different cell to add that to the formula and thus immediately stop doing whatever is contextually sensible and inserts this little grey oval that will be filled with a row/column reference…

…except that pressing Alt is what I need to do on my Swedish keyboard to get a $ sign. So if I try to manually type in absolute references, Numbers won't let me do that and instead breaks the formula, tries to detect references that I'm not interested in and haven't actually finished writing, and enters an utterly irrelevant edit mode. Its attempts of automagically detecting cell references and grouping them breaks down completely at this point.

Example:

I want to insert a simple
=A$1

What happens is that, as soon as I try to type that $ sign, since I have to press Alt to do it, the program thinks that I've finished one reference and that I'm now trying to enter a new one. The result is

=[A]$1

…where [A] is an automatically generated reference that is created when I press Alt, and $1 is interpreted as just some random text since I didn't give the program any “proper” input in the “select a cell” mode it entered when I pressed Alt. At this point, the program immediately starts crying because what I entered is obviously not a proper formula.

Exactly how (un)intelligent it is about this varies with the context. Trying to enter

=$A1 + $A$2 + A$3

…yields:

=[$A1] + [$A]$2 + [A]$3

It's basically that middle $ sign that completely baffles the automation. All of it could be solved if I could just make the darn thing not react in any way to the Alt key, but how would I do that? :bang:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Evernote question:

Um, maybe this is really obvious but is there any way to put a note into text-only mode? I'm constantly pasting things into Evernote and they always come in with the source formatting. I realize I can "Paste without formatting", but in 99% of my notes I don't need formatting anyway so just plaintext would be best.

Any ideas?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

C-Euro posted:

E: Didn't know that. Fair enough.

It's pretty much the same as it is on Windows, which doesn't mean he's wrong when he calls it terrible.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Martytoof posted:

Evernote question:

Um, maybe this is really obvious but is there any way to put a note into text-only mode? I'm constantly pasting things into Evernote and they always come in with the source formatting. I realize I can "Paste without formatting", but in 99% of my notes I don't need formatting anyway so just plaintext would be best.

Any ideas?

I know this isn't the best answer, so maybe someone will chime in with a better one...

But, I run into this issue quite often and have a habit of pasting things in a plain formatted TextEdit window, then re-pasted into whatever the final destination is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

maduin posted:

It's pretty much the same as it is on Windows, which doesn't mean he's wrong when he calls it terrible.

I'd say every version prior to 2011 was significantly worse. Everything about those versions felt slow and bloated. Office 2011 feels like there was some actual care and time put into it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

maduin posted:

There's a lot of features missing from the Mac version. One example that was a pain in my rear end just yesterday is Excel for Mac's utter lack of XML import.

Of course, in other ways the Mac version is far better. Win some, lose some...

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Office is a huge reason customers (particularly enterprise) stick with Windows. If Apple could have a quality Office counterpart for OS X, that removes a huge barrier for entry to the platform.

Apple is integrating Exchange but I feel that's a little different than active development of the standard. From supporting it, I can say that there are aspects of Exchange they still don't offer and wish they were more active in caring.

They also offered another solution to this issue through Boot Camp and Intel processors and the development of virtualization software.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

FLX posted:

Is the App Store version of Growl regularly freezing for anybody else too? It lasts maybe half a day until no more notifications are displayed and when I mouse-over the statusbar icon, I get a beach ball. This is on a MBP running the latest Lion update.

I was having the same problem until I installed the update that just hit the App Store a few days ago. The problem has vanished.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Karsh posted:

Although it doesn't have quite as many gestures as JiTouch, BetterTouchTool is just as configurable (if not more so) and is free.

Thanks - I was pretty turned off from the BetterTouchTool because it has one of the crappier interfaces I've seen, and I couldn't configure it out of the box to open window in new tabs, close tabs, or flip to the next tab.

I've since bound gestures to the equivalent Chrome keyboard shortcuts, and everything seems to be working rather swimmingly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That and the fact that macs are a complete pain in the dick to manage and offer mac-oriented services to (the CIFS experience is pretty lol).

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
Has anyone used Flux for any aspect of webdesign projects? I'm not familiar with it and since it's included with a bundle that includes Parallels, for $10 more than the Parallels student pricing, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

vikingstrike posted:

Apple is integrating Exchange but I feel that's a little different than active development of the standard. From supporting it, I can say that there are aspects of Exchange they still don't offer and wish they were more active in caring.

Exchange, like Active Directory, will never be 100% on a non-Windows platform.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Office sucks so much balls on the Mac. Import 20,000 line CSV file? Beachball for 2 minutes then probably crash. Make a graph from some of that data? Crash.

It has to be ten times slower than the Windows counterpart. I swear using XP+Office 2003 on a Pentium III would smoke any current Mac running Office 2010. And have more functionality.

Does Openoffice/Libreoffice work better, especially the spreadsheet? I have used them at home but not for much more than a couple pages of Word docs or a home budget.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Openoffice has been ok for home use. My main problem with using it for work use is that a lot of the advanced functions are in slightly different places than in Microsoft Office, and it gets frustrating when you're used to looking for things in one place and you're in a hurry.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Bob Morales posted:

Office sucks so much balls on the Mac. Import 20,000 line CSV file? Beachball for 2 minutes then probably crash. Make a graph from some of that data? Crash.

It has to be ten times slower than the Windows counterpart. I swear using XP+Office 2003 on a Pentium III would smoke any current Mac running Office 2010. And have more functionality.

Counterpoint: I just imported a 60,000 line CSV file in <12 seconds on an 2011 MBA with 4GB RAM. But I suppose you follow your own lovely advice on RAM and don't have enough.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

While Office for Mac 2009 had some issues I think that Office 2011 is pretty much equal to using Office 2010 on a PC, aside from the differences in button placement and stuff like that.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

beefnoodle posted:

Counterpoint: I just imported a 60,000 line CSV file in <12 seconds on an 2011 MBA with 4GB RAM. But I suppose you follow your own lovely advice on RAM and don't have enough.

You also didn't say what version of Office you are using, which can cause these huge differences in processing time. Office 2008 was absolute garbage, Office 2011 is a step in the right direction.

Terpfen posted:

Exchange, like Active Directory, will never be 100% on a non-Windows platform.

This is very true, too. Active Directory is another can of worms that gives me heartburn.

I still don't see this as Apple's burden to bear. It's characteristic of Microsoft, for very good reasons, keeping their products lovely on non-Windows platforms. If anything, this means that Apple should make improvements to iWork, but I just don't think that Apple really wants to aim and the enterprise, high-level Office users. I'm sure Apple would say to use Office 2011 and wait on Microsoft to fix things, or to use VirtualBox/VMWare/Parallels.

Just because it's annoying me:
Office 2007 and Office 2010 -> Windows
Office 2008 and Office 2011 -> Mac

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Hey it was a while ago but this thread gave me some good recommendations to learn OSX and stuff and I re-applied for the same job a few months later and got it :toot: Thanks guys

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

vikingstrike posted:

You also didn't say what version of Office you are using, which can cause these huge differences in processing time. Office 2008 was absolute garbage, Office 2011 is a step in the right direction.

I'm using Office 2011. Bob Morales mentioned using Office 2010, but I'm sure he meant 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

beefnoodle posted:

I'm using Office 2011. Bob Morales mentioned using Office 2010, but I'm sure he meant 2011.

Ah, I missed that. My bad.

My biggest annoyance with Office 2011 is that my Outlook database file keeps corrupting. Not a huge deal cause my mail is in the cloud, just annoying to get into work every now and then and Outlook be a bitch.