Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namu.
Sep 10, 2004

Jackhammer Enthusiast.
Cocktail pretension ahoy in this little diddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2aVzmPxxM

I learned so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It was all pretty "Heh" until he was doing the hard shake and then it was lol.

Although he was using a pair of tins and the hard shake is supposed to be with a cobbler shaker :spergin:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Man, that makes me want to sell my vests. Almost.

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

PS I am barrel aging a white rye/white vermouth/orange bitter cocktail right now, y'all can straight up blow me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yo Veggie I've got a buddy whose dad has a show running on Broadway this year so I'll be out to see it. I wanna try that cocktail when I get to New York.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Pm me when you come through town, I know a spot or three.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, um... does whisky ever go bad? I haven't touched my bourbon in a year and now that I decided to have some again, it's cloudy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It happens, it should still be fine though. Certain compounds in the bourbon can cause it to become cloudy under certain conditions, but it'll taste fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering

edit: to be clear, bourbon becoming cloudy happens, not it going bad.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 21, 2012

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, um... does whisky ever go bad? I haven't touched my bourbon in a year and now that I decided to have some again, it's cloudy.
There's been some talk about this in the whiskey thread. Light and air can erode the delicate flavours in high-end whiskeys, but even then you're dealing with a matter of years. Don't worry about it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I thought most bourbons were chill-filtered as a matter of course.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone suggest a good bourbon for an Old Fashioned? I've had em with Makers Mark and Blantons, but dont know what might be a good options at the liquor store.

Dont know nearly enough about Bourbon to decide myself.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Walked posted:

Can anyone suggest a good bourbon for an Old Fashioned? I've had em with Makers Mark and Blantons, but dont know what might be a good options at the liquor store.

Dont know nearly enough about Bourbon to decide myself.

If you like Blanton's, I'd say take a look at Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden's and Woodford Reserve (my personal go-to bourbon). Black Maple Hill is also pretty awesome but I haven't spent the time to hunt it down in a store, just had it at a bar.

I like some of the suggestions here too:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/06/stocking-your-home-bar-best-bourbon-expert-advice.html

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I'd start with Buffalo Trace. Versatile, inexpensive.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys, thats what I needed to know. Buffalo Trace is priced rather well too. Woo

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Also, in making your old fashioned, try prepping up a batch of demarara sugar in a 1:1 simple syrup, it gives a depth of flavor that white sugar can't match, and pairs really well with Angostura bitters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's my opinion that brown sugar simple syrup makes the drink taste different because it's nowhere near as sweet.

I make simple syrup with turbinado sugar and a 2:1 sugar to water ratio. The difference in taste is almost trivial, but I like that it adds a bit of color to the drink. Also as noted above, it seems to pair REALLY well with Angostura.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I favor Wild Turkey as a go-to bourbon for most of my mixing. However, the best Old Fashioned I've ever had was made with Smith and Cross navy strength Jamaican rum.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I like to use cane sugar for rum old fashioned drinks, the flavor profile is complementary. Be sure to water it down a little.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I usually let it sit on the ice for a couple minutes to get it to ideal drinking proof. That stuff is like a flavor explosion.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Kenning posted:

Yeah I usually let it sit on the ice for a couple minutes to get it to ideal drinking proof. That stuff is like a flavor explosion.

That's what a good shake/stir is for, the dilution, then strain it over fresh ice into a new glass.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Water down the cane syrup. Definitely dance that girl around in the glass until her legs give out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
A hundred times yes to the rum old-fashioned with Smith & Cross. I like using Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters in mine.

As for bourbon old-fashioneds, I like Old Grand-Dad bonded. Cheap, strong, and great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jahoodie posted:

That's what a good shake/stir is for, the dilution, then strain it over fresh ice into a new glass.

I don't have a freezer that automatically makes ice so decent drinks ice is something I try to conserve. Also I drink cocktails quickly enough that new ice isn't necessary – there's no way the ice will melt down before it's gone.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Fitzgerald is officially my drink of choice for showing people that drinks can be more complicated than "Spirit & Mixer" and still be easy/delicious.

2:1:1 ratio of gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and a dash or two of Angostura, shake and strain. This is probably a well known drink considering it's a basic sour recipe, but I hadn't had one before and loved it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I somehow haven't heard of or thought of that one before, which is weird because yeah it's just a sour with some Angostura. Gonna try it out tonight though, I have high hopes. Also it's a great name.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
At a few different bars I have some variation on "Margarita w/ chili syrup" and I have loved them all.

Anyone here have a favorite recipe for something like this before I go off making spicy syrups?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Macerate chopped jalepenos and habeneros in vodka two days, fine strain and add 1/8 oz at a time.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Kenning posted:

I don't have a freezer that automatically makes ice so decent drinks ice is something I try to conserve. Also I drink cocktails quickly enough that new ice isn't necessary – there's no way the ice will melt down before it's gone.

To each his own, but good ice and proper use of it is key to good cocktails. Any of the major "famous" cocktail bar books have a section or chapter discussing this (PDT, Employees Only, ect).

I have the Tovolo silicon cube trays (normal and king cubes). Presentation of rocks drinks over them is pretty nice. I might also get the long thin rectangular cube tray, I got something in a Collins glass with just 1 big cube like that and it was great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

Macerate chopped jalepenos and habeneros in vodka two days, fine strain and add 1/8 oz at a time.

This was plan B. My plan A was to cut the peppers up and boil them with the sugar for the simple syrup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jahoodie posted:

To each his own, but good ice and proper use of it is key to good cocktails. Any of the major "famous" cocktail bar books have a section or chapter discussing this (PDT, Employees Only, ect).

I have the Tovolo silicon cube trays (normal and king cubes). Presentation of rocks drinks over them is pretty nice. I might also get the long thin rectangular cube tray, I got something in a Collins glass with just 1 big cube like that and it was great.

Yeah I have the Tovolo king cubes, I love them. I should clarify: I'd only ever serve rocks drinks over fresh ice, but I only ever serve shaken/stirred drinks up, so it's neither here nor there.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

bunnielab posted:

This was plan B. My plan A was to cut the peppers up and boil them with the sugar for the simple syrup.

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me like the capsaicin (along with the flavor) would be more alcohol soluble than water soluble. I've no sort of evidence for or against this, but sugar water doesn't sound like it'd pick up the flavor as well as a spirit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

But Not Tonight posted:

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me like the capsaicin (along with the flavor) would be more alcohol soluble than water soluble. I've no sort of evidence for or against this, but sugar water doesn't sound like it'd pick up the flavor as well as a spirit.

I sort of have that impression as well but one of the bars I had the drink at definitely had the pepper in a syrup form. I bought more then enough habs so I can try both ways.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, I find that the vodka extraction works better than the water/sugar syrup, the flavor is more pronounced, which is important when you are mixing the infusion with other spirits and modifiers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I find that the vodka extraction works better than the water/sugar syrup, the flavor is more pronounced, which is important when you are mixing the infusion with other spirits and modifiers.

Do you think it will is worth it to try and infuse some of the tequila I will be using or is that a waste of time? Infused vodka will be more generally useful as it is neutral enough that I can use it for other cooking stuff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I use infused tequila for a drink at one job, but its popular. And loving delicious. The vodka was just to have a neutral base, for adding to different drinks. Use a nice blanco tequila, you could probably get away with it. Espolon would be my choice, or chinaco.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I use infused tequila for a drink at one job, but its popular. And loving delicious. The vodka was just to have a neutral base, for adding to different drinks. Use a nice blanco tequila, you could probably get away with it. Espolon would be my choice, or chinaco.

I usually use Cazadores Reposado (or 1800 if I am making a vat of them) for Margaritas because the woodsiness works with the tartness. I think for this I want to play up the fruitiness of the habs so maybe something lighter? I admit to knowing nothing about blancos as I usually avoid them. I have never heard of the brands you mentioned, the liquor distribution where I am is really bad but I will look for them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think the Manhattan is rapidly becoming my favorite cocktail. I'm drinking a 2:1 Rittenhouse Bonded with Dolin Rouge, Angostura, and a Seville orange twist right now. It's off the charts delicious. There's this rich vanilla woodiness that's pretty incredible. There's something about it that I can't place – it has a bit of burnt sugar and custard to it too.

Now I want to have a Manhattan Party where you just get a few people together along with a bunch of different ryes and vermouths and try it all.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I have a really big sweet tooth, so I lean towards more of the creamy/sweet stuff like White Russians and Incredible Hulks. As of recently, I tasted a BMW: equal parts Bailey's, Malibu coconut rum, and whiskey. It was so sweet, I needed to drink water afterwards.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That sounds loving repulsive, sorry. Malibu is rum that was so unsellably bad when it came off the still they had to give it a lovely metallic coconut flavor and load it with sugar. Bailey's has its place as an after dinner drink, or with coffee, but is frankly not all the great, all told. And as to why you'd mix it with whiskey, when it's already made with whiskey, is beyond me.

There has never been a good cocktail where the name comes first. There has never been a good acronym cocktail. These things are the drinks equivalents of the McRib – they're cooked up by marketing departments, or bartenders who think like marketing departments, and the only reason people drink them, beyond the gimmicky name, is for the truly heinous amount of sugar they typically contain.

Listen, if you like sweet things there are cocktails that can appeal to that. A Trinidad Sour is very sweet, but balanced and compelling. Cocktail punches, Tiki and otherwise, are often sweet, but use fresh ingredients and interesting rums. Hell, even an old Sidecar is pretty drat sweet if you up the Cointreau a bit.

I'm not trying to hate man, it's just a goddamn shame when people are drinking truly awful poo poo when there's so much deliciousness to be had in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Speaking of the Trinidad Sour, what's a good orgeat I can use for it?