Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tragic Peculiar posted:

I wish I could go on holiday in a giant hat. :(

Dammit beaten to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Mickolution posted:

How does it work?

I've not got it with me at university and we only played it once so my recollection is hazy so if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

The players are all one team, like on the tv show and each of you takes it in turn to answer questions on a specific category and you pick the egghead you want to face. You answer the question and you turn it over to see if got it right, and if the egghead did. If you beat the egghead in your head to head then you are in the final, if not take a seat chump. After doing that for each egghead you get to the final where the number of questions you have to answer correctly in a row to win is based on the number of Eggheads left, if you do that then your (the human) team wins. The end.

Looking on the internet it seems they've introduced a new version that looks less poo poo but I don't have that, as I only get my TV show board games from charity shops. So far my collection is small but growing.

Others to avoid: Who wants to be a Millionaire? (No tension/interest in playing that at all, you might as well be reading out random quiz questions off the internet)and QI (the rules are a bit complicated, especially if you try and use the buzzer, and because of the multiple choice nature of it you can normally spot the dodgy answers that lose you points quite easily)

I've got my fingers crossed that the Noel's House Party game I picked up in Age Concern for £3 is half decent but I've yet to convince anyone to give it a go!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
How does the egghead answer?

Think I picked up Who Wants To Be A Millionaire years ago for cheap. IIRC, just played it a couple of times.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Mickolution posted:

How does the egghead answer?

Think I picked up Who Wants To Be A Millionaire years ago for cheap. IIRC, just played it a couple of times.

On the back of your card it just has a tick or a cross telling you if the Egghead got it right or not.

Also another annoying thing for some people is you have to be super careful about how you put the cards back, because once you mix up the Egghead cards it can be a total fucker to sort them all back in to the proper boxes.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jesus, that sounds terrible. I assume they get most of theirs right?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Jesus, that sounds terrible. I assume they get most of theirs right?

Yep, the vast majority. I mean, I know its a game about Eggheads and you can't really have the Eggheads come round to everyone's house to play any time someone opens the box, but there has to be a way to get the players more interested in a game than simply "yes/no" on the back of a card.

By far the best quiz show board game is Blockbusters, since you are split in to two teams and there's a bit of strategy involved too. Plus if you get the 80s version you get to answer some wonderfully outdated questions, my personal favourite is "What G is divided in to two and produces sauerkraut?" Germany

And whilst its not strictly TV chat, I do love the old Trivial Pursuit questions where you are asked "What presenter brought some colour to Tiswas?" Lenny Henry oh the 80s, how innocent a time you were...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The only way I can see Eggheads working would be a DVD or computer game where they actually asked them the questions and it comes up on screen like on the show. A lot of work for them, though.

I had that Blockbusters one when I was a kid but completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. Loved it. Had Wheel of Fortune too, which was fun.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Alan BStard posted:

And whilst its not strictly TV chat, I do love the old Trivial Pursuit questions where you are asked "What presenter brought some colour to Tiswas?" Lenny Henry oh the 80s, how innocent a time you were...
I played an 80s version of Trivial Pursuit a few weeks ago with some friends, average age of about 21. It took us about 7 hours. Great fun though

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Mickolution posted:

The only way I can see Eggheads working would be a DVD or computer game where they actually asked them the questions and it comes up on screen like on the show. A lot of work for them, though.

I had that Blockbusters one when I was a kid but completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. Loved it. Had Wheel of Fortune too, which was fun.

They have Eggheads on quiz machines in pubs which is basically this, it's literally impossible to win though. And CJ and Judith get a disproportionate amount of questions right.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Alan BStard posted:

By far the best quiz show board game is Blockbusters...

I've really indulged in Challenge's recent lineup of back-to-back Blockbusters, but it makes me wonder about the remake they're planning.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I played an 80s version of Trivial Pursuit a few weeks ago with some friends, average age of about 21. It took us about 7 hours. Great fun though

When I was living in Spain I played an 80s SPANISH version of Trivial Persuit. Completely impossible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

There's an Irish version that was available here a few years ago, but instead of the questions having an Irish slant (the ones that I find trickiest are the questions on UK rivers and the like), every drat question was about something Irish. Terrible.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

With the 80s Trivial Pursuit I'm quite good on everything that isn't Entertainment, I just leave that wedge until last and hope something/one who is still famous crops up like David Bowie.

I found the 80s/90s TV edition and I had no idea why I expected to have fun playing that. If anyone else finds themselves playing it, my protip is to always guess Russ Abbott.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

reality_groove posted:

Million Pound Drop - Still entertaining, especially when someone brazenly puts their whole stash on an obviously wrong answer. Still suffers from unfair questions.

I love that it gives them an option of 2 question topics, to convince them it was their choice if it's really hard/stupid.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
The Chasers could eat the Eggheads for breakfast.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

So I'm half way through the new episode of skins and I still haven't seen any PLOT.

e: Oh there it is at :43

e2: What the gently caress did I just watch?

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 30, 2012

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jonnty posted:

The last question was about some chapeau in France she'd been to the year before or something awful like that.

One can go to a hat?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

New series of Whitechapel starts tonight. Watch the first one if you haven't had the chance!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

New series of Whitechapel starts tonight. Watch the first one if you haven't had the chance!

The first two, you mean.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The Chasers could eat the Eggheads for breakfast.

:confused:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

:eng101:

(..and the new one not in the photo)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

feedmegin posted:

One can go to a hat?

Hahaha, I obviously(?) mean "chateau."

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Gram-O-Phone posted:

New idea for Channel 5, Bradley Walsh: Stumpy gently caress. In which Bradley travels around the UK seaside resorts visiting other tiny light entertainment stars from years past to see if they'll degrade themselves for £50. This week David "Diddy" Hamilton.

I can't believe Channel 4 haven't brought back Fifteen to One yet, it was the best quiz show they had for years.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I love Anne! The new guy is a bit crap compared to the other 3.

Oh and in other news America is remaking Only Fools and Horses:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16796364

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

The first two, you mean.

I thought the second was pretty crap, sadly.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

I thought the second was pretty crap, sadly.

It wasn't great, but then the Krays have been done to loving death in every medium imaginable so it's a bit hard to come up with something entertaining let alone new. I just watched the preview for tonight's episode, which looks good even if it is reminiscent of an episode from the last series of Luther.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Giedroyc posted:

New idea for Channel 5, Bradley Walsh: Stumpy gently caress. In which Bradley travels around the UK seaside resorts visiting other tiny light entertainment stars from years past to see if they'll degrade themselves for £50. This week David "Diddy" Hamilton.

I can't believe Channel 4 haven't brought back Fifteen to One yet, it was the best quiz show they had for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwGFX5pgXw

I trust we've all seen this. Peak Walsh.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I just had the misfortune of watching "A question of taste" on BBC2. Jesus, that is the worst quiz show I have ever seen. It does not have a single redeeming feature.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Giedroyc posted:

Sounds like a 'celebrity' version of Wudja Cudja.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Paxo just said "Don Quick-sote" on University Challenge :stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of the rhymes in the original only work if you pronounce it that way.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I'm looking forward to Whitechapel, although the last series wasn't as good as the first. I'm still bitter about them killing off McCormack.

6 episodes this time, apparently, with two different stories.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Manchester Burke is annoying / amazing... poor Newcastle Turner :(

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

This has been a somewhat better episode of The Royal Bodyguard than usual (I just keep watching it for some reason). It's nice to see a bit of a divergence from the usual routine format. Still not the BBC's best comedy by a long shot, but the best episode of this since the Christmas one.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

goatface posted:

Are you not thinking of another Don? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Juan_%28Byron%29#Pronunciation

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
What did everyone think of Bird Song then? I enjoyed it, but I cannot remember a thing about the book so I don't know how true it was to it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

goatface posted:

It's a prose book (and x was nothing like a ck sound in then current spanish)

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I saw a documentary many years ago that did something like this. It should that experiment where you get people to count basketball passes on a video, and they nearly all miss the guy in a gorilla-suit who walks across the screen. It ends with the presenter giving a really smug "don't believe us? how many times did you spot him" a montage of all the times the same gorilla man had appeared through the documentary, in really obvious places. It was awesome.

Not TV related, but you should read the book "the invisible gorilla" by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Giedroyc posted:

For realsies. 15 to 1 was the true gem of the channel 4 afternoon schedule. Countdown is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a prose book (and x was nothing like a ck sound in then current spanish)

There's plenty of poetry in the book, I'm sure I remember some of it only working like that. It's possibly just the translation I was reading deciding on an English pronunciation with a hard x, like has ended up in quixotic. Not sure about why Paxman chose that pronunciation though, especially when talking about a French version which probably would have spelt and pronounced it differently again.