Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cenzo posted:

Serious question: aside from flexing my stick correctly, is there something I should be doing to get more velocity on my wrist shot? Is it more mechanics or beefing up? I feel like I have a pretty pathetic wrist shot for a guy my size, and there are people who just seem to make the end-boards absolutely explode with their misses, mine sound like pitiful thuds.

Without watching you shoot, it's hard to say. Are you transferring your weight as you shoot? How's your wrist action? Arm motion?

I say go to a drop-in clinic or adult learn to play and ask the coach for tips.. he'll figure you out in about two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

Yeah, don't go the free agency route. Our team had to cut a few dickheads and awful players. I think we've got a good group of guys now though, probably will stick with us when we move up leagues next season.

Yeah, just sucks cause I wanted to move up to play with better players. Our team is pretty much gonna run the poo poo next season. We're fighting for 3rd right now and the top 2 teams are moving up.

Maybe we can finally win 1 playoff game :v:

cenzo posted:

Serious question: aside from flexing my stick correctly, is there something I should be doing to get more velocity on my wrist shot? Is it more mechanics or beefing up? I feel like I have a pretty pathetic wrist shot for a guy my size, and there are people who just seem to make the end-boards absolutely explode with their misses, mine sound like pitiful thuds.

Leannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn into it. Put that weight onto your stick and bend your front knee. Also, practice practice practice.

Northern CA goons, has anyone ever done the Weekend Warrior Hockey Camp up in Tahoe?
http://www.weekendwarriorshockey.com/

A handful of people on my team signed up for it. It looks like it'll be an awesome weekend of drinking, hockey, drinking and gambling. Not sure if I can justify the $725 cost (not including hotel) for 3 days though.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 30, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It's definitely not strength anywhere near as much as it is mechanics. There are some pretty scrawny dudes in the NHL.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

The Jagr is big in my league. That and attempting to trap the puck on the stick blade while spinning at about one-million RPM then launching the puck top shelf. (this always fails.)

Roller hockey douches, all day erry day.

follow through and snap your wrists if you don't already, without a video of you shooting there's no real way to tell what you're missing

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

First off, this assumes the additional penalty assessed to white made it a double minor, not a minor + misconduct.

In that case, you're correct, white should have sent a second player to the penalty box to serve the additional minor penalty, because the coincidental minors expire at the first whistle after 2 mins and would have just made it 5 on 5, whereas the additional minor to the white player would make it 5 on 4 and expire either on a goal scored by green or at 2 minutes on the dot, and the additional player should come out then. The coincidental minors shouldn't go on the scoreboard but the additional minor should.

Yes, exactly. No misconduct was signaled and he definitely wasn't gone that long. I tried asking the officials during the first intermission but they stuck by their claim. I'm almost wondering if my team saw the call then saw the official signal the additional unsportsmanlike and just assumed it was additional. But when I took the draw next shift I asked how much time we had left on the penalty and the official said "probably around a minute".

They are the best pair of refs, I must have misunderstood something or they just dropped the puck with us shorthanded after the penalty.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Northern CA goons, has anyone ever done the Weekend Warrior Hockey Camp up in Tahoe?
http://www.weekendwarriorshockey.com/

A handful of people on my team signed up for it. It looks like it'll be an awesome weekend of drinking, hockey, drinking and gambling. Not sure if I can justify the $725 cost (not including hotel) for 3 days though.

If you know a few people content to spend $725 in one weekend for hockey, do what bewbies and I are doing -- make a team for the USA Hockey Pond Hockey Championships in Eagle River, WI. It fills up very fast (within a day or so of opening of signups in August) but you'll get there and stay for less than 725, have free Labatt Blue to drink and a pretty fun tournament. It's the one they featured in the pre-game before the Winter Classic the past 2 years.

We'll report back but it looks to be loving awesome. And ice time in an enclosed rink before the tournament is $100. Soo cheap.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Everyone posted:

Your mechanics blow

This is kind of what I figured. I think I try to arm/muscle it too much, and don't transfer my weight well enough. I do make a concentrated effort to roll my wrists so that the toe of my stick is pointed at my target, but I was never super comfortable with the generating power from my stick. Oh well, practice, practice, practice!

I probably should just go back a bunch of pages to when you guys were helping some other goon (Lawnie?) with his shot and critique my own based on that.

If this weekend is nice I can attempt to take video for your viewing pleasure.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Email I got from the rink today:

quote:

ALL ICE ACTIVITIES CANCELLED!

We are currently experiencing air quality issues in Rink 1 and Rink 2, that we believe are related to Zamboni operation. As a precautionary measure, we are suspending all activities as we investigate and remedy all possible issues.

Wonder how many brain cells I lost playing last night?

Anyway, I hope they have it figured out by Friday since I'm able to go to 6 AM hockey that day for the first time in forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

If you know a few people content to spend $725 in one weekend for hockey, do what bewbies and I are doing -- make a team for the USA Hockey Pond Hockey Championships in Eagle River, WI. It fills up very fast (within a day or so of opening of signups in August) but you'll get there and stay for less than 725, have free Labatt Blue to drink and a pretty fun tournament. It's the one they featured in the pre-game before the Winter Classic the past 2 years.

We'll report back but it looks to be loving awesome. And ice time in an enclosed rink before the tournament is $100. Soo cheap.

A bunch of guys I play with are going this year, they're all worried how the ice will be. Given how lovely this winter has been I can't blame them, but I think it's far enough north to not matter.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

Email I got from the rink today:

Wonder how many brain cells I lost playing last night?

Anyway, I hope they have it figured out by Friday since I'm able to go to 6 AM hockey that day for the first time in forever.

The problem with Zambonis is that they last forever, so there are a lot of propane Zambonis that are still in good condition. Other than the cost of the equipment, there is really no reason for rinks to be using anything but electric ice resurfacers at this point.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ice reports are fine- Cars / equipment movers are able to be moved onto the ice and it's being prepped. It won't be like last year where you can have a bonfire on the ice but it's fine. It'll be as lovely as pond hockey ice usually is :)

What team/division are they in?

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
I had so many chances in my game on Saturday, but somehow managed to screw up every one :( Missed the net far side from the left slot with a gigantic opening to the goalie's right, whiffed on a rebound tap in, etc. It feels good to get chances like that so I know I'm doing something right, but drat.

I've been playing defense for almost every game since I started last May, but I've been playing up on the wing for the last couple because we've been missing some players. I have fun with both, but man, defense is hard in comparison.

trilljester posted:

Yeah, don't go the free agency route. Our team had to cut a few dickheads and awful players. I think we've got a good group of guys now though, probably will stick with us when we move up leagues next season.

I think we're playing your team next game, if I've followed who's on what team right. I'm the dude with the same name as a Florida Panther and will probably fall embarrassingly at least twice.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

sellouts posted:

I really, really need to do this in the next couple of years. I know lots of people doing it, I'm just not in competitive hockey shape right now. :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

I think we're playing your team next game, if I've followed who's on what team right. I'm the dude with the same name as a Florida Panther and will probably fall embarrassingly at least twice.

Yup, we're getting fired up for this game. #93 is on our radar, we're going to stack our D to keep him in check. I'm #77 and am pretty sure I'll be centering the second line and probably falling or stickhandling and losing the puck at least 3 or 4 times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Ice reports are fine- Cars / equipment movers are able to be moved onto the ice and it's being prepped. It won't be like last year where you can have a bonfire on the ice but it's fine. It'll be as lovely as pond hockey ice usually is :)

What team/division are they in?

Not 100% sure what they registered as.. team name is something with the word 'Dawgs' in it. They're an over 40's group and are pretty slow, so I figure they'll be tier 2.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

xzzy posted:

Not 100% sure what they registered as.. team name is something with the word 'Dawgs' in it. They're an over 40's group and are pretty slow, so I figure they'll be tier 2.

"Ice Dawgs" :ughh:

My favorite team names from Sharks Ice beer league:

Peter North Stars (their jerseys are legendary)
Smell the Glove
Buck Tooth Angry Dolphins
Army of Darkness (yeah, that's the team I play on)

trilljester fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 31, 2012

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

trilljester posted:

Yup, we're getting fired up for this game. #93 is on our radar, we're going to stack our D to keep him in check. I'm #77 and am pretty sure I'll be centering the second line and probably falling or stickhandling and losing the puck at least 3 or 4 times.

Should be fun. I sure am glad we have two weeks to build up to this game....

Sometimes I want to stab our schedulers in the eye.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

Should be fun. I sure am glad we have two weeks to build up to this game....

The three week break nearly killed us. We were only leading Crown Royals by 1 goal after 2 periods. That is shameful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sevorak posted:

In a 9-team, 23-game season, we:
- Play one team every other game for 2 months straight, for a total of 6 times. That's over 25% of our season spent playing the same team.
- Play one team a grand total of one time.
- Sometimes get scheduled for Saturday/Sunday games, but then the following week will not have any game.
- If we have a Saturday game, we regularly have our 3rd period either cut to 12 (from 15) minutes or have a running clock because the little kids apparently HAVE to start on the dot. It is not a problem at all if we start 10 minutes late. This is no doubt due to them paying more money to the rink for their league, but still. Almost every time this has happened, we have lost by 1 goal.
- Did not have a game between Dec 11 and Jan 1.
- Had a game on New Years.

We have the laziest hockey director in the world. There's literally no rhyme or reason for the retarded schedule we have.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah our facility is used by I'm sure over a hundred different teams between youth, juniors, high school, college, adult. And the Sharks practice there. And they host several tournaments a year. And there's a curling club. Etc.

So I can understand how it's tough to schedule games for beer league. But being shafted on price and playing half the season at 11:15 at night gets old. It's cool having a big facility with a nice bar inside, but I wish they weren't the only game in town.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sevorak posted:

So I can understand how it's tough to schedule games for beer league. But being shafted on price and playing half the season at 11:15 at night gets old. It's cool having a big facility with a nice bar inside, but I wish they weren't the only game in town.

It happens even in areas with a bunch of rinks.. ever beer leaguer I know plays their games after 10 and I know of 7 sheets of ice within 30 minutes of my house.

I had lunch with the guy who runs the beer league at my main rink a few weeks back, he says he's tried for years to get better scheduling but he's limited by the realities of human schedules and what the rink will give him.. says the rink is empty for most of the day, and then at 5pm everyone in the world wants ice time. Figure skaters and mite hockey chews up huge amounts of time and bring in the most money. Then local high schools rent ice for team practice, and finally the league associated teams need their ice. By the time it gets down to beer league, there's just nothing left.

If I was a billionaire I'd start up my own rink and it'd be all hockey all the time with favor given to adult rec leagues, but alas, I am not a billionaire.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Local pro shop was a life saver tonight. I have a game tonight at 11, but about an hour ago I forgot I broke my chinstrap on Sunday. The game is at a rink about 25 minutes away and their pro shop didn't have anything, and the closest hockey store is 20 minutes away and closes at 9 (maybe 8, I dunno). Called the local rink I play drop-in at on Sundays and they fixed it right up. Saved me some gas and time.

hell yeah

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, I just did the math and the rink I play at probably pulls in around $250/hr per sheet on adult hockey after paying a pittance to the officials and timekeeper. Given that, I'm sort of surprised we even have Sunday evening games, they'd probably make more money having public skates.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyguy posted:

Just ordered a Bauer Supreme Total One shaft... 77 flex.

Whip it good.
So just to update, I hated it and sold it to a friend. I'll stick with my S19 shafts, and I may even buy a spare since they're out of production these days.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

shyguy posted:

So just to update, I hated it and sold it to a friend. I'll stick with my S19 shafts, and I may even buy a spare since they're out of production these days.
I picked up an S19 a few weeks back and loving love it

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

trilljester posted:

Uhm... does it work?!!? I'm guessing no because the surface isn't ice.
Yeah, exactly. The move relies on the goalies sliding in one direction while you puck your puck in around the other side. On a roller surface, the goalie's momentum isn't going to carry him out of position like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyguy posted:

What didn't you like about it?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.icehockeyworld.com/products/Easton-Synergy-EQ50-Grip-Senior-Hockey-Stick.html

That right there is the best deal on sticks I've seen in a long time. 2 weeks after I bought new ones. :(

Seriously, buy that if you need a stick, they don't get any better than that.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

bewbies posted:

http://www.icehockeyworld.com/products/Easton-Synergy-EQ50-Grip-Senior-Hockey-Stick.html

That right there is the best deal on sticks I've seen in a long time. 2 weeks after I bought new ones. :(

I dont like grip sticks :smith:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

poser posted:

I dont like grip sticks :smith:

you're in luck, http://www.icehockeyworld.com/products/Easton-Synergy-EQ50-Senior-Hockey-Stick.html

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
drat it I just bought a 2 piece for like 170... Guess I'll stick with it just for the ability to change blades if I wanted to

Edit: still pissed I didn't catch this

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Does anyone know a comparable high end stick/shaft to the Vapor APX that comes with standard taper? I really like the rounded corners of the Vapor line. I have the lower end X:20 which comes with a standard taper but I hate grip coating and am really looking for 77 flex (x:20 only comes in 87).

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Just to check...has anyone ordered from that Ice Hockey World website? I cant tell if they are legit or not. I am so tempted to just get an EQ50 from them so I have 2!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

bewbies posted:

Is this site legit? I've never heard of them before. I'm guessing it's fairly new.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

lazerwolf posted:

Does anyone know a comparable high end stick/shaft to the Vapor APX that comes with standard taper? I really like the rounded corners of the Vapor line. I have the lower end X:20 which comes with a standard taper but I hate grip coating and am really looking for 77 flex (x:20 only comes in 87).

My understanding is that non-RS Easton Stealth sticks have a standard taper, but it's hard to find anything saying that specifically, because all the manufacturers opt for glitzy flash sites at the expense of conveying actual information. It seems as though all the high-end sticks, both through fancy tapers and weird flex patterns, are moving to a default of low kick point, which is a bit annoying. I haven't used the Eastons recently, but you might want to ask at a good pro shop, because a stick with a standard taper might still behave like a stick with an elliptical taper because of the stiffness pattern.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, uh, I'm really impatient so please bring me back down to earth:

It is probably the worst idea to do the beginner hockey skills for something like Hockey North America if all I can do while skating is go forward, stop, backward, and turn; correct?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

So, uh, I'm really impatient so please bring me back down to earth:

It is probably the worst idea to do the beginner hockey skills for something like Hockey North America if all I can do while skating is go forward, stop, backward, and turn; correct?

No, based on their website, it looks like there's no prerequisites. Sign up and get out there, you will learn a ton.

I was in the same position last year, I had this idea that I needed to learn how to skate like a pro before I started taking classes. I was eventually convinced to get into an adult learn to play session and it was the best move I made.. everyone is full of advice and really supportive.

I learned more about hockey in the first month than I had in the entire year previous.. there really is no replacement for getting out there and playing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I did the HNA intro course with friends and there were plenty of people who could barely stand on skates (including a 250lbs+ goalie decked out in thousands of dollars in new equipment, he was super easy to score on).

If you can go backwards you'll be ahead of 50% of the people there. But it's still a decent program.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I think Bauer's Supreme line has standard tapers, I don't know if they sell them as just shafts though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Look Around You posted:

I think Bauer's Supreme line has standard tapers, I don't know if they sell them as just shafts though.

They sell the TotalONE as a shaft with the standard taper but the corners are square and not rounded like their vapor line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

They sell the TotalONE as a shaft with the standard taper but the corners are square and not rounded like their vapor line.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. I don't know then... I always get one piece sticks; I just got a '11 Warrior Dolomite at like clearance prices from a local hockey shop ($105 instead of $200 something apparently) and it's a really nice stick. It's got rounded edges and stuff, the only thing is it's a little heavy compared to my x:60. Maybe they have a shaft of this? I think the Reebok AI line has rounded edges too but I may be wrong on that.

e: on the topic of blades/shafts, I have a one piece X:60 but my blade is splitting on the bottom. Is it possible to cut it off and replace it with another one or is that impossible with one piece sticks?

e2: I just checked out my sticks again, the Dolomite is more rounded than the Supreme One 30 that my friend has but a bit more square than the X:60 that I've got, just to give you an idea.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2012