Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The next patch is just going to make it impossible to drop below the highest threat level youve attained. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That would give me a reason to log onto my normal account with other golds and game the system, making bronze and silvers go gold.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Am I correct in that threat level is calculated by whether or not you win a match, and that winning a match depends on the final round? It seems to me that if this is true, then the problem is pretty obvious.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Vinigre posted:

Am I correct in that threat level is calculated by whether or not you win a match, and that winning a match depends on the final round? It seems to me that if this is true, then the problem is pretty obvious.

It depends on how you are defining final round. Each mission typically has a couple of "critical objectives". If they aren't completed, then the mission will end early. But yes, the threat level is calculated off mission outcome, and doesn't take K/D or anything else into account to my knowledge.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Great Beer posted:

The next patch is just going to make it impossible to drop below the highest threat level youve attained. :v:

At the rate things are going, that really wouldn't surprise me. It's funny because threat worked okay before this patch, and now it's a steaming pile again.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Wouldn't mind one of my char so we can plaster a whole district with these :3:

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I can happily oblige.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Would it be possible to get one with Ronald Reagan on it with "Reaganomics" beneath it? My horrible teamkilling troll crim is named "republicanscum" and looks like a massively overweight retarded Ben Bernanke.

Also yeah threat is hosed. I made the bad move and dethreated on purpose with "republicanscum" which was kind of amusing but at least now I get paid for missions I do well on.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 30, 2012

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

e: I can give Ronald Reagan a go, I guess. It's gonna be tough one.

Reisama's image is done. Roughly. No googly eyes, or "uguu~", just a proclamation that she is ANIME.

e:

Lyarii's image is done. Font changed for sake of revolutionary fervor.

Huszsersvn fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 30, 2012

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I downloaded this during the Steam sale for reasons that I can't remember but I tried it out last night and its pretty fun! Or at least it will be when I have good gear and am playing with goons. Which of the sides are more populated in the EU groups, cops or robbers?

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Davoren posted:

I downloaded this during the Steam sale for reasons that I can't remember but I tried it out last night and its pretty fun! Or at least it will be when I have good gear and am playing with goons. Which of the sides are more populated in the EU groups, cops or robbers?

Definitely cops. Just remember to join Patriot (EU2), because that's where we roll.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If its a lot of work let it go. I can always just make a sign that says gently caress You, Got Mine to achieve the same effect.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Captain Swing posted:

Definitely cops. Just remember to join Patriot (EU2), because that's where we roll.

Good job I decided to roll an Enforcer while waiting for a reply. :) Expect Davoren to message one of the relevant people to get into the group.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Goofballs posted:

If its a lot of work let it go. I can always just make a sign that says gently caress You, Got Mine to achieve the same effect.

The main problem I see is that Ronald Reagan is a wrinkly bastard, which can play havoc on the number of primitives I'll need to use. However, it won't be for lack of trying that I'll give up!

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Huszsersvn posted:

The main problem I see is that Ronald Reagan is a wrinkly bastard, which can play havoc on the number of primitives I'll need to use. However, it won't be for lack of trying that I'll give up!

There's got to be tons of caricatures out there to use as inspiration.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Huszsersvn posted:

Lyarii's image is done. Font changed for sake of revolutionary fervor.

You're awesome, thanks a bunch! Some of my clan-mates saw it and asked where I got it from, because they want them too.. You could start selling these and make tons and tons of apbbux.. While I'm on the subject, what's your stance on doing these for non-goons?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well if you want to give it a go I won't stop you but in all seriousness dont go to a lot of effort on my behalf.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but this happened last Saturday and I can't make this up. A huge :wtc: moment for me. Joker NA East, by the way.

I went back to LtL and went from Gold down to Bronze, in the Waterfront. Started my first mission as a bronze defending a point against one bronze criminal. Easy as hell, the criminal was predictable, easy arrests (got about 6 arrests and I died once). After I won, he immediately goes on the district chat and bitches about LtL was overpowered. I was flabbergasted when two other criminals agreed with him. I readied up again, and got the same guy plus another bronze in a 1v2.

Crim: "Oh look, Jaquai again with her OP stabba"
Me/Jaquai; "I swear, LtL is not OP. just to prove you wrong, I'll use my Joker Carbine"
Crim: "LtL is for noobs, you obviously never played a criminal before" (which is true, only have an enforcer)

So, me vs. 2 criminals (one is the same first criminal from earlier) with me being lethal. I do very well. They're predictable, they follow me into traps, and just overall not that tough. I manage to get 12 kills before I die for the first time.

Me: "look at that, I got 12 K and 1 D. I did exceptionally better with the Joker then the Stabba. LtL is not OP"
Crim: "Well, at least the Joker Carbine requires skill. LtL is bullshit. You can get mods to protect against lethals, but not stamina damage. That's not fair."
Me: "I need 6-10 beanbags to take you down while you only need 2-4 shots from your rifle"

At this point, I realize arguing is pointless and go back to LtL and do well still, managing a few arrests with a couple of deaths. He then proceeds to complain on district again about my noobish shenanigans.

Granted, I'm new to APB and I heard when the game first out LtL was a bit broken before then what it is now, but I swear this guy had to be trolling. I heard from other criminals getting arrested is fairly rage worthy and being stunned and arrested seems like an eternity (quite opposite for enforcers it seems!).

Well put, Secret Sweater and Great Beer. I personally enjoy LtL for the challenge and the raging criminals. ...and the car lights.
VVV

Edward_Lapine fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 31, 2012

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The real :psyduck: part of LTL is that it used to be decent but all the crim whining got it nerfed. Now using it causes skilled players to get de-threated and matched against newbies that they can outplay all day. Since most players are idiots and dont understand the difference between a good gun and a good player, they whine about LTL and call for nerfs.
Its a no-win situation for everyone.

e;
Crims get SO ANGRY when you teamkill them for the bounty.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 31, 2012

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Meis posted:

You're awesome, thanks a bunch! Some of my clan-mates saw it and asked where I got it from, because they want them too.. You could start selling these and make tons and tons of apbbux.. While I'm on the subject, what's your stance on doing these for non-goons?

My stance is that goons get their caricatures free of charge, while non-goons will have to pay. I'm in need of some modifications, so I think I'll charge APB$30k for a single caricature. Who are these criminals that want portraits? I should offer my services to them.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Huszsersvn posted:

My stance is that goons get their caricatures free of charge, while non-goons will have to pay. I'm in need of some modifications, so I think I'll charge APB$30k for a single caricature. Who are these criminals that want portraits? I should offer my services to them.

30k? You really should go higher than that. I sell default police hats for that much.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Captain Swing posted:

30k? You really should go higher than that. I sell default police hats for that much.

You know what, you're right. These images will be painted on billboards and canvassed on walls, as direct representations of the person who bought them. Criminals have a lot of money, right? 60k for a caricature sounds fairer.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Huszsersvn posted:

You know what, you're right. These images will be painted on billboards and canvassed on walls, as direct representations of the person who bought them. Criminals have a lot of money, right? 60k for a caricature sounds fairer.

I would charge at least 100k. Maybe 125.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If I eventually make it to cooling jackets 3 and reflex sights 3 will there be much of a market for them? I have tried to sell lower mods and it takes forever or I break even. Its only like another 500 kills away or so. I have the level 2 versions availible and if anyone has hunting sights 2 I would be happy to email trade them. Tox be upon me if I run away with your 20k mod. I also have the Improved Rifleing 2 mod but I can't think of much use for them except on the shotgun and I reckon you would be better off with cooling jackets.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 31, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Always a market for those things. Just undercut the people trying to get 80k for them.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The biggest margins are on the ones that no one has unlocked. I can sell Extended Mag 3 for 120-140K since it unlocks at machinegunner 14.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
There's only a market for the blue mods, because they're machine gunner unlocks, and no one does that. All of the other mods everyone has, so unless you're constantly monitoring and undercutting the market you aren't going to sell poo poo. Also anyone that is new should immediately save up their first 75k to buy happy landings 3, and clotting agent 3. You'll be glad you did.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Edward_Lapine posted:

Well put, Secret Sweater and Great Beer. I personally enjoy LtL for the challenge and the raging criminals. ...and the car lights.
VVV

LTL arresting is undeniably two things:

1) The most satisfying thing in APB.

2) The most ungodly frustrating, hate-filled and loathesome thing to actually accomplish ever.

The Stabba CCG is trash, the Stabba Pistol has never been good, the Stabba PIG... we don't talk about the Stabba PIG. It hurts us veterans too much to talk about.

The NL-9 is the only thing that makes LTL tolerable. Three shots to knock someone out, or one shot and a percy nade, and it does decent enough damage to make it a viable support weapon if an enemy has been weakened. And even after all this? LTL requires balls of brass, extreme strategic planning, and a fuckton of patience. I lack all three of these things.

But that one time, that one sweet time you manage an arrest? Holy poo poo does that feel good. Most crims just can't handle it and will go into a murderous rampage. gently caress the rest of your team, you'll be their #1 target and they'll wind up going into a downward spiral of stupid mistakes. Arresting bountied players is also amazing, you'll get a hell of a lot of cash just for doing it (and usually bountied immeditately afterwards).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

If you want to experience LTL success, do it on a server a helluva laggy distance away from you.

The CCG is still a piece of poo poo that requires reloading before some people go down, some don't go down at all as if by magic and you will die to those assholes who either are secret GMs or have had their GM friends give them infinite stamina, but compared to doing it on your closest server it's a whole new thing.

Yeah okay princess, lemme rephrase that.

"But like every other hour I run into some random crim who simply cannot be stunned ever, it's like I can get up behind while they're picking their nose, empty the CCG into them at close range, get confirmed hits and reload because nothing happened and then I die then a teammate hits them with one shot and boom, dead. Their seemingly infinite stamina remains constant. They are not members of a big crim clan known to have a powers-abusing GM amongst them, that makes it more of a mystery."

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 31, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MrLonghair posted:

If you want to experience LTL success, do it on a server a helluva laggy distance away from you.

The CCG is still a piece of poo poo that requires reloading before some people go down, some don't go down at all as if by magic and you will die to those assholes who either are secret GMs or have had their GM friends give them infinite stamina, but compared to doing it on your closest server it's a whole new thing.

you sound like a bitter, paranoid pubbie.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

I like CCG. It's almost like OCA's cousin with medium-range capabilities. Then again, the first LTL gun I used was the Stabba Pistol (I didn't hang out at the Waterfront too much and I didn't notice CCG so I thought you had to get to Cop 3 with the pistol before other LTL guns unlock).

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you sound like a bitter, paranoid pubbie.

I see you've encountered Mr. Longhair before!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I went from cop 0 to 10 pretty much with the CCG and then stun nades. I use the Joker pistol as a sidearm and got much better at using it. I didn't start LTL until after hitting r195, though. I just went solo and always had a variety of opp.

I've gotten better with aim, especially with all that pistol practice and now primarily use the JG shotty with the pig as my sidearm and either stun nades or percs. It's a bit more risky than having a full CCG clip, but to me is way more satisfying.

LTL in a group has never worked well due to always being outnumbered.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Arresting bountied players is also amazing, you'll get a hell of a lot of cash just for doing it (and usually bountied immeditately afterwards).

When I did this near open beta launch, 5/6 times someone would shoot them as I was arresting them. :smith: Did they make targets non-killable while you're in arrest animation?

Few questions: Just started playing again and haven't played since open beta, has there been any real changes since then to LTL? The stun gun took 2 shots, Stabba about 8, etc. I use to have the best luck with Stabba as long as I had the jump on them and they weren't using SMGs and got to Cop 7 before my friend quit.

I haven't actually played a round since my friend started up, but apparently radar is a 24/7 thing now instead of just when people fire? My friend seems to think so and I remember it not being that case.

Are the new fight club maps decent/allow LTL ranks? Any other big changes I should know about?

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
What would be a good LTL sidearm to equip with a slotted OSMAW/nade launcher and perc nades? I want to be a huge butt.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

keeb posted:

What would be a good LTL sidearm to equip with a slotted OSMAW/nade launcher and perc nades? I want to be a huge butt.

TG8.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I think the TG8 still is sort of macroable/scrollwheel friendly, if it stuck at the firing rate of the FBW. Haven't done any frame by frame analysis yet but that might also apply to the CCG. I don't condone that sort of thing but.. it's LTL. What would your victims know?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Eigo posted:

The stun gun took 2 shots

That's been nerfed so it's one shot, reload, then shoot again. That one minor change has made it less than useless, it's made it a free kill for your enemy. Used to be that if you had the balls, you could run right up to your enemy, taze taze, take the two seconds to arrest them and be on the way. Nowadays? gently caress no. You'll have no time to land the second dart before they turn around and kill you. It's important to note that cuffmate has gone entirely now, you arrest people at the fastest possible speed 24/7 instead of needing upgrades.

Eigo posted:

Stabba about 8, etc. I use to have the best luck with Stabba as long as I had the jump on them and they weren't using SMGs

Still true. I think it fires a bit faster now but the amount of shots sounds about right, you have to take into consideration the recoil of the gun because it kicks more than the STAR. It's not too bad in all honesty but it always seems to take one shot more than is neccesary, if you don't get the drop on them and take them from an unexpected angle they'll have more than enough time to turn around and kill you.

Eigo posted:

I haven't actually played a round since my friend started up, but apparently radar is a 24/7 thing now instead of just when people fire? My friend seems to think so and I remember it not being that case.

Absolutely untrue. Radar remains active when people fire, it'll track people a few seconds afterwards, and then lose them. It's also active when people are in a car. It does not track people who are idle, running or sprinting unless they've shot recently. This is why communication is such a big part of the game, calling the direction for enemies a good time in advance will give you lots of time to prepare.

Eigo posted:

Are the new fight club maps decent/allow LTL ranks? Any other big changes I should know about?

With the fight club maps, you'll want to start playing on Beacon (The under construction building) to get your ranks. I wrote a bigass post on this a few pages back, but since Beacon is so enclosed you'll have lots of room to make ambushes. The dockyard map is way too large and exposed for your LTL to be much use unless you can catch people out in the containers, and even then there's too much verticality so lots of people can drop in on you. Make sure to join instances with as few people as possible.

I got to cop 3 through Fight Club alone, so if you've got experience with LTLing it shouldn't be too difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Absolutely untrue. Radar remains active when people fire, it'll track people a few seconds afterwards, and then lose them. It's also active when people are in a car. It does not track people who are idle, running or sprinting unless they've shot recently. This is why communication is such a big part of the game, calling the direction for enemies a good time in advance will give you lots of time to prepare.

That's what I thought, maybe he got confused due cars showing up as long as people were in them. Thanks for the reponse!

Also it seems like a terrible time for me to come back since that account threat was last patch, I made a new character to play with my friend for both his sake and mine since I'm out of practice and I was gold threat with zero gear.
:negative:

• Locked thread