Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mystic_Squid posted:

I, like what I assume is going to be a lot of others, came here from the MS Paint Adventures thread, where we discussed Prequel before it got its own thread.
That's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I got linked here from another thread here at Something Awful...I want to say it was Shadow Isaac's Dragon Age 2 demolition. I think it was something along the lines of one of the frequent derails over there had gotten onto Oblivion, and someone used the opportunity to link to this thread. Or some such. I could try to delve in there and look it up, but.... :effort:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Mystic_Squid posted:

I, like what I assume is going to be a lot of others, came here from the MS Paint Adventures thread, where we discussed Prequel before it got its own thread.

Same. And I ended up going through the entire series of bloody comic topics on the MSPA forums, because that was before it actually had a web site with RSS feed to follow. Now that it has the web site and RSS feed, I don't even need to touch the MSPA forums to follow it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Is that one of Dmitri's cats. :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Haledjian posted:

Is that one of Dmitri's cats. :smith:

It is now! Thanks, jerk.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Megazver posted:

It is now! Thanks, jerk.

Well it's got this thing strapped to it's back, so it probably already was.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Kazerad, I'm curious about a few things (btw thanks for the answers so far, guys), if you do not mind me asking:
-how much of the story have you already worked out (including possible outcomes depending on the players' actions)? Most of it, or only a few steps ahead?
-why did you create the character of Katia specifically?
-have you played Daggerfall and is it connected with her being from Hammerfell?
-what inspired you in turning Quill-Weave from a minor character in the actual game into a pretty important supporting character in the comic? Was the NPC schedule that gave you the idea, or something else?
-by the same token, how did you come up with Asotil? Was it due to some funny gameplay experience/bug or something else?
-as someone suggested, is Gharag gro-Upp supposed to be some sort of parody about most player characters?

I really hope you don't mind: it's just that I've always been fascinated by the thought process behind anything an artist (writer/movie director/musician/...) makes, be it a sudden inspiration, or something planned in detail over many years, and the subsequent implementation (basically I love "making-ofs"). :)

radintorov fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 28, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

creationist believer posted:

Well it's got this thing strapped to it's back, so it probably already was.

Oh, wow. It also looks like it has a scroll?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Look, the kitten is already a more competent adventurer than Katia.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I love this panel.

quote:

What fangs? An ordinary human such as yourself doesn’t have fangs, silly! The very thought of such a thing is preposterous, offensive, and utterly unsubstantiated.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

radintorov posted:

Kazerad, I'm curious about a few things (btw thanks for the answers so far, guys), if you do not mind me asking:

1-how much of the story have you already worked out (including possible outcomes depending on the players' actions)? Most of it, or only a few steps ahead?
2-why did you create the character of Katia specifically?
3-have you played Daggerfall and is it connected with her being from Hammerfell?
4-what inspired you in turning Quill-Weave from a minor character in the actual game into a pretty important supporting character in the comic? Was the NPC schedule that gave you the idea, or something else?
5-by the same token, how did you come up with Asotil? Was it due to some funny gameplay experience/bug or something else?
6-as someone suggested, is Gharag gro-Upp supposed to be some sort of parody about most player characters?

I really hope you don't mind: it's just that I've always been fascinated by the thought process behind anything an artist (writer/movie director/musician/...) makes, be it a sudden inspiration, or something planned in detail over many years, and the subsequent implementation (basically I love "making-ofs"). :)

I don't mind! Though I went ahead and numbered all your questions to make them easier to answer.

1- It's hard to describe between those two options. The best explanation is that I have the entire thing planned out, but it changes all the time. At any given point I pretty much know how the rest of the story is going to go, but then unexpected suggestions or reader reactions will cause me to veer off in a completely different direction and come up with something new.
I'm reminded of something I heard years ago, when a friend was talking about her experiences in running D&D games: "if a player comes up with a theory that's better than your original idea, act like it was your plan all along". I've employed that approach heavily.

2- Her "creation" was actually a process that happened gradually as I was starting the story. I had certain things in mind when I started: she was going to be a race that suffered moderate discrimination, she was going to be afraid of royalty, and she was going to have self esteem as durable as an egg. A lot of her backstory and deeper personality traits didn't develop until things started moving and more ideas started getting fed in. I had final say on all the developments of course, so I went for things that I felt were interesting or worked well with the story I had in mind.
I also think it's safe to say I took a lot of cues from MSPA in her design - not in that I was mimicking any specific character, but MSPA's style always focused around giving its characters distinctive narrative voices and constructing them from features that would remain recognizable in a variety of visual styles.

3- Yes and yes. Beyond any potentially plot-relevant stuff, there's actually a good number of Daggerfall references in here if you keep an eye open for them. Mostly little obscure things that poke fun at differences between the games, such her remark that she has experience climbing, but the stonework in Cyrodiil is smoother than she's used to (there was a climbing skill in Daggerfall that let people scale vertical walls, but was removed in later games).
Though I admit Daggerfall isn't an easy game to play. I've only created one character who could get significantly far: the venerable Punch Fistsworth. I made him a custom class, "motherfucker", which gets regeneration, rapid healing, and a bonus toward hitting every type of enemy... at the expense of being unable to equip any type of armor or weapon. He also speaks nearly every language, since I had like a dozen more skills to choose after giving him punchin', dodgin', and critical strike.
He is shockingly effective.

4- I knew I wanted a supporting character in Anvil and she was a pretty good choice. Oblivion is kind of like a giant sampler platter of relatively interesting characters that the game uses for practically nothing. Between Quill-Weave's unusual schedule, occupation, and appearance, she seemed like one of the better choices. Lots of little nuances it's possible to expand upon.
Though as far as characters with nuancess go, that elf lady at the castle comes in a close second. She apparently has a script where she's supposed to periodically sleep with the Anvil guard captain, but due to a coding bug she'll periodically just break into his room and watch him sleep.

5- Like QW, I knew pretty early on that I wanted a character to show up and possibly accompany Katia between Anvil and Kvatch. Asotil was actually planned for a while before his introduction; originally he was going to show up during the animation in Katia: Approach, but I ended up cutting this idea and delaying it for pacing reasons. My final plan was much better.

6- Only in some ways. That is, I'm not writing him specifically with "player parody" in mind, but some of his habits are definitely very player-like. He has a lot of other traits that are very anti-player - like, only going one room into a ruin to minimize risk. But maybe that's just how people would play if they only got one life.

Hopefully that answers everything adequately!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

MikeJF posted:

Oh, wow. It also looks like it has a scroll?
Keep in mind that it could actually be a Khajit. They're a pretty weird race.

(it's probably not a khajit)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I would definitely follow The Adventures Of Punch Fistworth.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
Okay which one of you guys just did a search for "Fistworth" on the Prequel site?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I did.

I got nuthin' :(

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kazerad posted:

Hopefully that answers everything adequately!
Indeed it does!
One thing that shocked me when I started reading was the amount of small details and all the various references, even though I completely missed a couple and misinterpreted a few others: for example, I forgot that Hammerfell is not High Rock and was convinced that the nightmares were initially caused by none other than the ghost of King Lysandus.
Of course the Amulet of the Kings in the nightmare scene made me realise my mistake.
By the way, that sequence? I know one of the titles is "Making A Cat Cry: The Adventure", but dear God! :gonk:
It shows that you both know how to write/draw and that you've studied psichology, because that sequence felt like it was a) incredibly well done (the shift in art style, the design of the Emperor) and b) seemed like it was deliberately made to pull on the strings of the audience.
Hell, it pulled mine. :sweatdrop:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Are those... are those trolls? Those aren't trolls are they? God damnit. :(

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kazerad posted:

That is both hilarious and extremely unpleasant.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I only searched for Fistworth after you asked about it.

What's troubling is the four fistworth searches that appear to have been entered before your post, unless there's a timezone.

And I guess a couple of people wanted to check if Mr Scruffles could be the cat with the gem. But then how would he have gotten out of the chest?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Have two characters perform a fist-bump while having a grand time, and call it "gay fisting." Then, when people search for "gay fisting" they will get that scene.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
:byodood: Medic!

Totally ordinary human woman got really interesting with this update.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat those poorly constructed medieval wells! Call that OH&S?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I was going to just post this on the update page, but it wasn't going through so I decided to post my question here, only for the comment to go through. So I guess I might as well quote my querie here in case I can get some insight on a joke that went over my head?

I posted:

I played, Oblivion but for whatever reason, I never got around to doing the Order of the Virtuous Blood quests.
So, can anybody who has done the quests help me out on the joke with the newspaper? I'm assuming that that's supposed to be a OotVB newspaper, but why would she have that? Like, did she find a copy somewhere and is reading it to know where they're planning some future vampire-busts or something?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I was going to just post this on the update page, but it wasn't going through so I decided to post my question here, only for the comment to go through. So I guess I might as well quote my querie here in case I can get some insight on a joke that went over my head?

I assumed it was a secret vampire newsletter due to the fangs and just being called "The Order" with Secret Newsletter written on it. Additional support for that assumption is that everything vampire related has been humorously ignored or excused like the newspaper was: "You put away your ordinary copy of the Black Horse Courier and follow your nose."

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Good thing there's a perfectly normal human trained in triage and surgery on the scene, or I might be worried! And even better, in TES perfectly normal humans have no innate physical aversion to water. Psychological, maybe a few, but not physical. :keke:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Katia had better not have been eaten by Slaughterfish, Kaz. :argh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IronSaber posted:

Katia had better not have been eaten by Slaughterfish, Kaz. :argh:

If it means the remainder of the story involves the adventures of a perfectly ordinary human female I'd be okay with this actually.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Gabriel Pope posted:

If it means the remainder of the story involves the adventures of a perfectly ordinary human female I'd be okay with this actually.

That would be a amazing fake-out

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Wait a minute

This is the part where you're all supposed to scream that characters should have invincible plot armor until their personal, Campbellian heroic arcs have come to a conclusion!

TURN IN YOUR MSPA FAN BADGES AT ONCE

Seriously though, this is a great way to build suspense! The story was starting to flag after several updates of staring at a well. It's still heaps better than Two Kinds, a comic where cat people spend like 200 pages trying to shoot an arrow at a tower.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going :)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kazerad posted:

Well I think you have a pretty clear marketing path here.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

armoredgorilla posted:

Well I think you have a pretty clear marketing path here.
Hahaha, nah, they're just trolls. The search log was fairly tame and uninteresting until I mentioned it here. Usually it was just people looking for a specific page. While it's much more fun to read now, I'm afraid I've pretty much ruined its value as an information source.

Oh well. Worth it.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Huh, your post showed up fine for me. Maybe it just took a minute to go through.

Like I said there, it's meant to refer to a different Order.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
PNHF hasn't discovered how easy it is to break into peoples' houses and lick jelly off their necks while they're asleep.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pakled posted:

PNHF hasn't discovered how easy it is to break into peoples' houses and lick jelly off their necks while they're asleep.

Maybe she thinks it's far too rude to enter a house uninvited.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I love this panel.

I made that into an avatar for a friend of mine.
e: well poo poo speak of the devil
I think it came out well! This comic is a great source for avatar-material, really.

oh god Katia is dead. She died.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 31, 2012

Soral
May 30, 2009

Yeah it's a pretty good panel.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Katia will make it out alive. After all, she's been discovered by a perfectly normal human combat medic.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

As long as she's not distracted by all the strawberry jam someone spilled on the ground.

Perfectly normal human females love strawberry jam.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Perfectly normal human female needs her own spinoff comic where she serves as a medic licking jelly off soldiers' necks in various wars throughout the ages.

I don't know why, but I love characters who are so enthusiastic and obsessive about their professions. Like how WV is obsessed with the democratic process, PM is nuts about the mail, and AR is THE LAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

oh god Katia is dead. She died.
She got away! Look where the stone got knocked out of the side of the well.

• Locked thread