Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NotWearingPants posted:

Do they do their classic "pretend to be a horrible interview guest" thing? Because that always makes for a really great interview.:rolleyes:

Oh I get it you are being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Rare miss for James Adomian. He needs to do more mainstream impersonations, I had to google this Dr. Bronner thing. It was pretty bad.

P'Corn

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Oh man, I hope Analyze Phish just turns into "Scott Aukerman Does All the Drugs"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I stand by my prediction that the show will end with Wittels hating Phish.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I kind of want James Adomian to do a Dr. Gene Ray impression now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Wow, two in a row I'll be skipping for CBB. That's really depressing :(

Production
Jun 11, 2001

indigi posted:

Wow, two in a row I'll be skipping for CBB. That's really depressing :(

You shouldn't have skipped last week's, though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Julet Esqu posted:

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox is available on Netflix Instant, by the way, in case you want to see the crazy for yourself. Terrible father. Totally nuts. Brilliant soap maker.

I really like the soap too. Makes me feel all fresh and clean.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Production posted:

You shouldn't have skipped last week's, though.

Ronna and Beverly aren't funny to me in the slightest.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone have any interest in a Phil Hendrie thread? His back catalog is amazing (minus a couple years post 9/11), and the New New Phil Hendrie show is pretty decent, though not a total return to form. Thoughts?

e: If it makes any difference, most of his great stuff is only available via pay service. He's a bit strict about any past material appearing for free.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 31, 2012

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is sad that when Grantland posted this TV infographic that I immediately knew they screwed up and forgot Nick Kroll?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DangerDummy! posted:

Does anyone have any interest in a Phil Hendrie thread? His back catalog is amazing (minus a couple years post 9/11), and the New New Phil Hendrie show is pretty decent, though not a total return to form. Thoughts?

e: If it makes any difference, most of his great stuff is only available via pay service. He's a bit strict about any past material appearing for free.

I used to enjoy Hendrie on the radio in south Florida before he went all neo-con muslim hater and lost his sense of humor after 9/11.

I would follow it, but I don't know if I would contribute. I have a couple of very old clips, but if he's strict about old stuff being released I guess I shouldn't post them.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

I used to enjoy Hendrie on the radio in south Florida before he went all neo-con muslim hater and lost his sense of humor after 9/11.

I would follow it, but I don't know if I would contribute. I have a couple of very old clips, but if he's strict about old stuff being released I guess I shouldn't post them.

Yeah, I didn't think I'd see a huge groundswell of excitement for the idea. It's too bad, because I don't think there are too many people with more raw talent than Phil, but he just can't stop being a loving dickhead.

If we say too many nice things about him here, he'll just try to shut us down anyway.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DangerDummy! posted:

Yeah, I didn't think I'd see a huge groundswell of excitement for the idea. It's too bad, because I don't think there are too many people with more raw talent than Phil, but he just can't stop being a loving dickhead.

If we say too many nice things about him here, he'll just try to shut us down anyway.

One of my favorite pre-9/11 bits was the Muslim guy who used the America flag to wash his car and wipe off his dog's rear end. "This is a free country!" (While that may sound like post-9/11 Muslim baiting, those familiar with the show realize it's the opposite: the humor is in the callers who get enraged over the things said by the "guest"). A few months later Hendrie would become the people he is mocking on that episode.

Start the thread and see what happens. I'd be interesting in hearing what he's been doing for the last ten years. Most of the posts in the Marc Maron thread are by people who cant stand him personally but listen anyway, so I guess Hendrie's horrible personality traits are no reason to not have a thread.

I've got a couple of really old ones that more recent fans may have never heard. One of my personal favorites is Phil playing the "Let me put you on hold for a second" gag on an elderly woman who calls the station to complain about Neil Rogers (a now-dead south Florida radio icon).

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
The most recent episodes of both the Flop House and How Did This Get Made? are about the same movie, Trespass :stare: That's so weird.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I've been waiting for this one:

@DanaJGould posted:

And here it is! THE DANA GOULD HOUR, with @eddiepepitone, @PaulVacantLot, @johnEnnis and more. Enjoy! http://t.co/Y0mL97oP
He's a great guest on other podcasts, so I'm very curious to see how this goes.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Jet Jaguar posted:

Dana Gould Hour info

Oh poo poo, it came out early! Thanks for posting this, Dana is great and I'm downloading this ASAP.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I used to love the Phil Hendrie show about sweet Camaros, but I think that may have been the only thing I've heard him do. Thanks for reminding me of that, I need to dig it up.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NidZFl-iius

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just revisited for the third time the We Hate Movies episode on Boys and Girls. It's one of the best things I've ever listened to. Such a delicious layered cake of late 1990s, pre 9/11 cultural artifacts, easily on par with The Matrix and American Pie, in the form of a hilariously inept rom-com, brilliantly dissected in minute detail. Watch the movie before listening.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Snowy posted:

I used to love the Phil Hendrie show about sweet Camaros, but I think that may have been the only thing I've heard him do. Thanks for reminding me of that, I need to dig it up.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NidZFl-iius

Phil's amazing, there's no doubt. If you can find it in your heart to put in for the Backstage Pass on his official website, you could do a hell of a lot worse for sheer volume of content. Stay the hell away from anything from 9/11 to about mid-04 for a number of reasons.

Honestly, if you like the idea of what Phil does, 10 bux a month is a great investment.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
Just checking in to plug my now-weekly(!) podcast Actually Happening.

Episode 10: http://itsactuallyhappening.com/2012/01/actually-happening-episode-10-al-frankens-diet-of-worms/

Episode 11: http://itsactuallyhappening.com/2012/01/actually-happening-episode-11-guy-fawkes-situation/

iTunes: http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=434162638

We're going to be releasing two half-hour episodes of Actually Happening followed by two mini-episodes of Not Actually Happening, where we talk about some of our favorite wrong science, hoax history and failed geography.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

My god the new Superego Star Wars scene is amazing... the whole episode is just amazing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Throatwarbler posted:

I just revisited for the third time the We Hate Movies episode on Boys and Girls. It's one of the best things I've ever listened to. Such a delicious layered cake of late 1990s, pre 9/11 cultural artifacts, easily on par with The Matrix and American Pie, in the form of a hilariously inept rom-com, brilliantly dissected in minute detail. Watch the movie before listening.

Their attack on The Drews is one of the funniest things they have done.

I'm glad to see more We Hate Movies love here, it seems to be forgotten alot because the people are not part LA Comedy scene.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We Hate Movies and Flophouse are two of my favorite podcasts I listen to regularly. They're just so great at taking apart horrible movies while being able to talk about more than just the movie.

Speaking of, How Did This Get Made, I hear it improved a lot? I listened to the first like...fiveish and while I adore the people attached to it I just couldn't stand their shouting over eachother and literally using literally every literal sentence literally, but according to a friend who actually turned me on to We Hate Movies, they've gotten a lot better. Is that true? Where's the point when they turn good?

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Glitterbomber posted:

We Hate Movies and Flophouse are two of my favorite podcasts I listen to regularly. They're just so great at taking apart horrible movies while being able to talk about more than just the movie.

Speaking of, How Did This Get Made, I hear it improved a lot? I listened to the first like...fiveish and while I adore the people attached to it I just couldn't stand their shouting over eachother and literally using literally every literal sentence literally, but according to a friend who actually turned me on to We Hate Movies, they've gotten a lot better. Is that true? Where's the point when they turn good?

The newer episodes aren't really that much different than the older ones (I think they caught onto the fact that they say "literally" a lot and stopped, but that wasn't something that I noticed that much of), but they've done a few episodes where they actually talk with the people responsible for some of the better movies.

I think the consensus is that the Punisher: War Zone and Crank: Director's Edition eps are good, but there's a few other ones too (the Room one is okay, don't know about the the live bonus episode where they talk to Jack O'Halloran about Superman and other things.)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Glitterbomber posted:

I agree with the episodes 47 Reagans posted. Basically if the podcast interviews somebody actually involved in the filming of/acting in the movie being discussed, the quality improves.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm having a real hard time talking myself out of going to this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/848718638/los-angeles-podcast-festival

quote:

So what exactly is the idea behind the first-ever LA Podcast Festival? Let Comedy Film Nerds hosts Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini walk you through it in the video above. Or at least make an attempt to.

We've gathered some of the biggest names in comedy podcasting to join us for a three-day blowout this fall at the luxurious Sheraton Delfina and the historic Barnum Hall, both mere blocks from the ocean in sunny Santa Monica. Over the course of the three-day event (October 12th, 13th and 14th), you'll see live podcast recordings in the Sheraton's beautiful penthouse event space, and on Saturday, October 13th, we'll bring together the festival's biggest comedians for a special standup performance at Barnum Hall. Podcasters scheduled to perform include:

- Marc Maron's WTF

- Jimmy Pardo's Never Not Funny

- Todd Glass's The Todd Glass Show

- Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini's Comedy Film Nerds

- Greg Behrendt and Dave Anthony's Walking the Room

- Jackie Kashian's The Dork Forest

- Mike Schmidt's The 40-Year-Old Boy

- Al Madrigal, Maz Jobrani and Chris Spencer's The Minivan Men

- Lynette Carolla and Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's For Crying Out Loud

And many more! (Lineup subject to change)

We can't put this all together without your help, but luckily there's something in it for you! With donations of $20 or more come perks that include admission to festival events, and with a large enough donation, we'll even throw in hotel stays at the beautiful Sheraton Delfina! The LA PodFest is the perfect excuse to plan your sunny SoCal vacation around your love of great comedy!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

plastered quack posted:

I agree with the episodes 47 Reagans posted. Basically if the podcast interviews somebody actually involved in the filming of/acting in the movie being discussed, the quality improves.

The style of the presentation gets repetetive - I think the difference between HDTGM and something like WHM is that Paul Scheer & co are all actual professional actors/comedians and basically treat every episode like it was a stand alone live show in front of a different audience every night, so every single movie = HOLY poo poo THIS MOVIE IS SO LITERALLY CRAZY AAAAAH even when 1) the actual movie itself probably isn't that crazy and 2) the schtick got kind of old after the first few eps. Where as WHM or the Flophouse are just a couple of hilarious guys watching movies and the tempo sort of ebbs and flows - there's a few eps of the Flophouse where they don't really spend more than about 20 minutes talking about the movie and it's really fine because some movies are just that lovely. Well, I'm just a guy watching movies so I enjoy and relate to the WHM and Flophouse a bit more, but I appreciate where HDTGM is coming from and I bet they pick up new/unique listeners quite a bit faster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that was my issue with it too. I just identify easier with 'yep, watched this lovely movie, it was awful!' than 'OH MY GOD YOU GUYS THIS MOVIE IS THE WORST THING EVER AND IS JUST SO INSANE LIKE HOW DO THEY KNOW THEIR PLAN WILL WORK WHAT?!' It blows because Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas own so hard (if you've never watched The League, fix that, they're both in it with other hilarious people) but if I kept listening to HDTGM I'd have to start hating them.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
This week's Improv for Humans is one of the best yet. Brett Gelmin is so great. I also liked the other two guys a lot, although I haven't ever heard them on anything before that I can remember.
END SIMULATION

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The latest Todd Glass Show with Paul F Tompkins was really funny, and he'll be on next week as well. If you haven't listened to this podcast yet, I think this episode would be a great entry point.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm not sure what to make of Joe Rogan's podcast. On one hand he can talk about some really interesting stuff and I love Joey Diaz. But Joe Rogan can get annoying when hes super stoned or goes on and on how marijuana is a miracle drug and has no harmful effects.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Hsien-Ko posted:

The latest Todd Glass Show with Paul F Tompkins was really funny, and he'll be on next week as well. If you haven't listened to this podcast yet, I think this episode would be a great entry point.

Seconding this. At one point in the podcast Paul F Tompkins does a loving ridiculous character that's already close to his most outlandish, and then Todd Glass demands he multiplies that by ten, which PFT does. I seriously had to stop the podcast because I was having problems breathing while listening to it.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
I figure this might be a good place to ask this. I never been to a standup gig and I just found out Todd Glass will be at the DC Improv next month from the 8th through the 11th next month, Thursday through Sunday. Two shows each night at 8 and 10 and just one on Sunday at eight. Listening to a lot of podcasts I have heard comics joke about the early show vs. the late show and like bad Saturday night shows but I probably don't really get it. Is one time better than the other? One night generally better than another? Is there any reason the Sunday show wouldn't be as good because that is the one I'm leaning towards.

Here is the link if anyone is in DC and likes Todd Glass I guess http://www.symfonee.com/Improv/dc/comedians/Bio.aspx?Uid=2ed85047-4e0c-11d5-8737-0001026c3d97

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Honestly with a guy like Todd all the shows will probably be great. I'd lean toward Thursday or Sunday, myself, cause those are probably the days it'll be a smaller, more comedy-savvy crowd as opposed to people just Doing Things on the weekend. At least that's been my experience.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Schach posted:

I figure this might be a good place to ask this. I never been to a standup gig and I just found out Todd Glass will be at the DC Improv next month from the 8th through the 11th next month, Thursday through Sunday. Two shows each night at 8 and 10 and just one on Sunday at eight. Listening to a lot of podcasts I have heard comics joke about the early show vs. the late show and like bad Saturday night shows but I probably don't really get it. Is one time better than the other? One night generally better than another? Is there any reason the Sunday show wouldn't be as good because that is the one I'm leaning towards.

Here is the link if anyone is in DC and likes Todd Glass I guess http://www.symfonee.com/Improv/dc/comedians/Bio.aspx?Uid=2ed85047-4e0c-11d5-8737-0001026c3d97

I saw him at the small stage there this past fall, and he was superb. I went to the friday night late show, but aside from a running bit where he tried to score pot from the audience for after the show, I doubt there was anything different quality wise.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Schach posted:

I figure this might be a good place to ask this. I never been to a standup gig and I just found out Todd Glass will be at the DC Improv next month from the 8th through the 11th next month, Thursday through Sunday. Two shows each night at 8 and 10 and just one on Sunday at eight. Listening to a lot of podcasts I have heard comics joke about the early show vs. the late show and like bad Saturday night shows but I probably don't really get it. Is one time better than the other?

I remember there was a whole bit on Never Not Funny that sort of broke down comedy club schedules. Off-nites like Thursday and Sunday tend to be attended mostly by people who follow the comedian, where Fridays and Saturdays bring in people who tend to just be out for the weekend and stumble into a comedy club without really knowing who's performing.

Maarak's probably right, though. No matter what, Todd Glass will be awesome. And will probably ask you for pot.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Thanks guys I will cop tickets for the Sunday show I think. Maybe I will try to go twice even. I am excited!!

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I love Todd. I'm going to the early Friday show in DC.

Vanilla Ice is going to be on How Did This Get Made talking about Cool As Ice. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Over the past 5 or 6 years I've listened to the Ricky Gervais Show/Guide To/XFM shows probably a dozen times, and each time I'm more and more convinced that Karl isn't THAT stupid, he's just really good at frustrating Ricky.

Also, every time I hate Ricky more and more. He yells at Karl for pronouncing "tongue" as "tong" and then goes and says something like "Your-rih-inal" (urinal) The only one who speaks properly is Stephen. He's also a smug rear end in a top hat (anytime someone mentions religion he has to put it down or mention he's an atheist).

On the one where they're doing desert island discs, Ricky picks a book of art for his luxury item, and then spends the next 5 minutes saying how dumb Karl is for picking a dictionary as his book. Sure, his reasoning is dumb but a loving art book? :cmon:

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 8, 2012

• Locked thread