Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Since some of us have submitted Len Maltin categories Doug has actually used, I've been wondering: what other categories have you guys come up with?
I'll get the ball rolling:

You down with UCB? - movies with UCB actors/actresses
Unbalanced Loaf - cooking movies
Shithead - movies with a shithead as an actor/actress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Doggone It - Movies in which a dog dies

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Riptor posted:

Doggone It - Movies in which a dog dies

This category already exists and Im pretty sure that's the exact name

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

Right, he's the one who submitted it.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Jim Carrey movies not featuring Jim Carrey

Sequels that Jim Carrey did not sign on for

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

goldblums eyes posted:

RoryGilmore posted:

Right, he's the one who submitted it.

Yep, Doug didn't credit me though :argh:

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I got one in with Sarsgaard/Skarsgård, the films of either Peter Sarsgaard or Stellan Skarsgård. It was fun hearing Doug trying to pronounce it. Jen Kirkman got halfway through it, then decided to go for the much easier to pronounce "David Lynch films".

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Oh poo poo, I always assumed they were related until just now

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Hey Everybody: Movies with "Hey Jude" on the soundtrack.

I'd tweet this to Doug but I don't wanna make a twitter account :smith:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Twitter is awesome and there's no reason not to have it. At the very least, it's an amazing joke-delivery service from your favourite comedians

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Maduo posted:

Hey Everybody: Movies with "Hey Jude" on the soundtrack.

I'd tweet this to Doug but I don't wanna make a twitter account :smith:

Like the dude right above me said, twitter is awesome and you don't have to actually post anything. But change your suggestion to "Hay Everybody" Movies with horses.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
I've suggested "Girls, Man version 2" as a category. Movies where a man appears in drag. He hasn't used it though :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I suggested Movies Featuring Steve Buscemi ages ago, but it never made an appearance. I should probably find a better, catchier name for it and submit it again.

It's a bit of an rear end in a top hat category though, since he had a shitload of small roles in the nineties (even when you're not counting Adam Sandler movies).

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the Weezer cruise episode dropped early.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

plastered quack posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the Weezer cruise episode dropped early.

I think you mean plopped early.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I suggested Movies Featuring Steve Buscemi ages ago, but it never made an appearance. I should probably find a better, catchier name for it and submit it again.

It's a bit of an rear end in a top hat category though, since he had a shitload of small roles in the nineties (even when you're not counting Adam Sandler movies).

Yeah, a name that sounds like there was effort put in to it is key.

How about "Nucky Talkies: The films of Steve Buscemi"?

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
now you buscemi, now you budon't

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I just submitted Grieve Buscemi: movies where Steve Buscemi dies

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's a good one and it actually made me wonder how many I know.

Spoiler tagged even although all these movies are at least 5 years old:
The Island
Domestic Disturbance
The Big Lebowski
Escape From L.A.?
Fargo
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead
Desperado
Billy Bathgate?
Miller's Crossing

That's a pretty decent list to choose from.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Good lord, another boner yep? Hell yeah! Graham Elwood, David Huntsberger and Ngiao Bealum guest on this episode, recorded in Sacramento.

Unfortunately it's going to take me awhile (a day?) before I can buy this/listen to it. :(
I'll write a crappy review ASAP, though.

Crap Review: This episode features Graham Elwood, David Huntsberger and Ngiao Bealum, recorded in Sacramento.

I'm starting every review I do by mentioning how drunk the performers are, and how bad the sound recording is. Fortunately the sound is pretty good and the performers aren't drunk at all.

If you've heard enough freebie DLMs in the past, you probably recognize David Huntsberger and Ngiao Bealum (I assume you all know Graham's style by now). If not, Huntsberger is a relatively clever and quick comedian who's slightly nasally and in my opinion, a less annoying variation of Myq Kaplan (Myq's not all bad, by the way). Ngio has some great observational stuff, but is kind of heavy on the pot jokes. If you're a DLM fan you probably don't care, but for the few of you who do care you've been warned. This ep actually featured a 4th studio audience guest, who held her own and actually had a really interesting backstory the guests played off of well. Overall all of the guests had great chemistry, I thought.

Build-A-Title was OK, but there were a few suggestions from Huntsberger I thought would've worked well that were knocked down. Len Maltin seemed to be an average length and a good dificulty for a boner ep.

Ultimately it felt like the episode was buoyed with occasional great jokes by Ngio, but nothing as good as the Todd Glass bits from the Las Vegas ep.

I'd rate this one between 2/4 and 2.5/4.

NOTE:
(I base reviews off of Doug's system, meaning 'Bomb' [0, not 1] to 4).
(meaning a 2/4 from me, with "bomb" as the worst option, is the same as 3/5)

So, again, if you normally buy these I'd probably grab it. Otherwise I didn't think this was a knock-out-of-the-ballpark kind of episode I'd recommend to first timers/people who rarely buy these.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mierenneuker posted:

That's a good one and it actually made me wonder how many I know.

Spoiler tagged even although all these movies are at least 5 years old:
The Island
Domestic Disturbance
The Big Lebowski
Escape From L.A.?
Fargo
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead
Desperado
Billy Bathgate?
Miller's Crossing

That's a pretty decent list to choose from.

http://www.cinemorgue2.com/stevebuscemi.html

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Haven't listened to today's epi yet, but good lord this lineup:

quote:

Doug welcomes comedian Paul F. Tompkins, along with Comedy Bang Bang regulars Garry Marshall and Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber to one of the weirdest shows yet.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Don't go Chevy Chasing waterfalls: movies where Chevy Chase is in a car chase.

Is there another movie other than foul play that this would work for?

Token Female fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 27, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Token Female posted:

Fletch

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

PFT is a very good friend to have. I wonder who all cancelled in order to make today's ep happen.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

PFT is a very good friend to have. I wonder who all cancelled in order to make today's ep happen.

I asked Doug on twitter and he said it was planned, no cancellations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I liked how there was one point near the end where he was just himself for 2 to 3 minutes. He must have gotten really caught up in the game.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

Token Female posted:

There is a car chase in the beginning of Christmas Vacation.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Guess he got lucky: Terrible second movies after a good debut of a director

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Popelmon posted:

Guess he got lucky: Terrible second movies after a good debut of a director

Would Michael Cimino qualify? What examples can you give?

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

And don't say Kevin Smith because Clerks wasn't good either. I really don't think that applies to directors. The sophomore slump is usually a music thing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I was thinking about Richard Kelly. From Donnie Darko to Southland Tales...

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I was thinking about Richard Kelly. From Donnie Darko to Southland Tales...

This x 10000. I want them to do Southland Tales on HDTGM, it's so amazingly awful

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Blackula69 posted:

This x 10000. I want them to do Southland Tales on HDTGM, it's so amazingly awful

Is HDTGM good? I like the concept, but haven't heard it. Any specific episodes to try out to see if I like it?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
A lot of people find it annoying, for good reasons, but I would try Punisher: War Zone and Crank: High Voltage from last week. They are both episodes where the directors showed up to talk about their movies and the cast actually like both of those films, so they are not necessarily representative of the show but they are my favorite episodes.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It's fine, the first episode (that Christina Aguilera cabaret movie or whatever) is as good a place to start as any.

As a radio producer, it pisses me off that they have little to no structure to the show. I think it would be greatly improved if they had things planned out a little more beforehand, or at least recurring segments - now it's just a bunch of people reading from their notes and saying "literally" all the time

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
They're hit or miss. As mentioned, the in depth Crank and Punisher ones are great. As for more traditional episodes I love the Fast Five and the Mac and Me episodes. The other ones range from boring to good.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The Superman 3 episodes were also great.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I really enjoyed the Sucker Punch ep with Chelsea Peretti, of course I'd enjoy anything with her.

Oh god, and how could I forget the smurfs ep with PFT, fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
I liked the Jingle All the Way episode of HDTGM. I like the podcast but I haven't seen most of the movies they talk about since they purposely pick bad movies. I am not going to go out of my way to watch a bad movie just to listen to a 30 or 40 minute podcast making fun of it. I've only listened to the two episodes which were the only two about movies I've seen but they were very funny.

Did anyone else not realize it was Paul F Tompkins doing the two voices on last week's ep of DLM? I haven't listened to comedy bang bang much so I didn't know he did those characters. I feel so dumb now. I even thought the Andrew Lloyd Webber voice sounded like him. I was even wondering why Paul Tompkins barely spoke the entire time.

• Locked thread