Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Lexicon posted:

Any recent news on a device to convert HDMI to Thunderbolt (in order to use a 2011 iMac as an output for an XBox, etc through target display mode)?

I'd like to know this too- but, I don't think there is an option yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Any UK Goons got a MBA for sale? Have some cash and the screen on my MBP is getting me down. Just sold my iMac too so cash waiting! Please goons give me some resolution :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ouhei posted:

1. I'm coming from a hackintosh I had that was using some Logitech 5.1 speakers I've had for ~6 years and they're just a massive mess of wires that I don't want to deal with anymore. Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg? I don't need anything fancy, just a simple 2 speaker (maybe + sub) system to eliminate the nest of wires under my desk.
Probably better to ask over in the A/V Arena, there's a questions mega thread and I think a thread or two asking for computer speaker suggestions. Also mention what you would consider to be an arm and a leg. I got Audioengine A2s recently for $160 (refurb, $200 new) which is a decent chunk for me but I know a lot would consider them on the cheaper end.

Anyway I like the A2s, and wiring wise the left speaker is the amp with a power plug going to a brick, cable to the computer, and another cable going to the other speaker. I have some extra wiring cause I got a USB DAC but it's probably fine without one. If you want boomy bass you'd probably be better off with a 2.1 setup, and if you don't mind larger speakers you can probably find a better 2.0 setup. I wanted/needed small speakers to fit on my desk and the A2s seemed like the best 2.0 option.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Are there any other HDD diagnostic utilities built int OSX besides Disk Utility? My wife's blackbook keeps getting disk permission errors and the first aid tool in DU fails with Invalid file count and Invalid volume directory count. I think her HDD may be failing so it may be time for a shiny new SSD.
Have you tried booting from another disk (recovery partition if you have Lion) or single user mode? Some errors can be fixed from there that can't be while booted into the OS.

Lexicon posted:

Any recent news on a device to convert HDMI to Thunderbolt (in order to use a 2011 iMac as an output for an XBox, etc through target display mode)?
Closest thing I know of is the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, which isn't really the same since it's a video capture box...and doesn't sound like it'll let you capture protected HDMI (don't think the Xbox outputs protected, but who knows). Worst case I figure you could use component. Of course I have no clue about possible lag or whether the software even has a basic viewer only mode for doing stuff like playing games.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

So I went to the Apple store today to get a good feel for the Macbook Airs so I can choose what size to get. The 11" seemed perfect because of the great resolution.

I know this has been probably asked to death but does the default 2GB amount of ram ever become a hassle? I had planned to use mine with bootcamp/parallels so I am obviously going to get 4GB ordered into mine but mostly asking for the casual user that my GF is going to use her's for.

I seriously feel that her using Chrome and feed heavy websites like Tumblr, torrenting, and flashier website might make the thing chug. Do I have anything to worry about?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Don't bother with the 2GB of RAM. 4GB is essentially a standard now and future versions of the operating system are going to likely need it. You can't upgrade it, either, so you're better off getting the most you can while you're able.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

Sulk posted:

You can't upgrade it, either, so you're better off getting the most you can while you're able.

Yeah, that what I figured. Looks like I'm getting two 11" MBA with 4GB in the next couple weeks. :3:

I love my windows desktop, it's my baby, but when it comes to portables... I have to admit- in terms of build quality, resell value, customer support, etc. Apple's grip just can't be loosened.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

notMordecai posted:

Yeah, that what I figured. Looks like I'm getting two 11" MBA with 4GB in the next couple weeks. :3:

I love my windows desktop, it's my baby, but when it comes to portables... I have to admit- in terms of build quality, resell value, customer support, etc. Apple's grip just can't be loosened.

If you're fine with not having a box-opening experience, you can buy a refurbished 11" 4GB model for $999 on the online store and have it delivered within two days.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

Sulk posted:

If you're fine with not having a box-opening experience, you can buy a refurbished 11" 4GB model for $999 on the online store and have it delivered within two days.

Well, it's going to be a Valentine's gift for her and a gravy gift for me so we'd prefer new, no offense. I am getting it through EPP anyway so the macbook itself comes to $1033 with the upgrade and Applecare is $219.

Not as big of a discount as a refurb but we both discussed that we would rather have the comfort of resale ability in case one of these laptops simply becomes too much technology in the house.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Refurbs come in a box :confused:.

Also, they come with a full warranty and are really no different from new. But for just 34 bucks more, do your thing...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, well.. Airport Utility 6.0 just dropped, along with Apple Airport Firmware 7.6.1.

Found the former in Software Update this evening..

Apple posted:

About AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.1

This update is for all 802.11n AirPort Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. It fixes an issue with wireless performance and provides support for remote access to an AirPort disk or a Time Capsule hard drive with an iCloud account.

If you're running Snow Leopard or a Windows machine, no Airport Utility 6.0 for you.. it's Mac and Lion only. Also, only Airport Utility 6.0 will update your AEBS to 7.6.1.

Edit: off to find a nice big USB flash drive to set up as an Airport disk, see if I can have my own little dropbox thingie..

Edit 2: if you don't like the iOSified AU 6.0, download AU 5.6, uploaded today; it's the standard admin that lets you set up everything except the iCloud stuff. It's here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 31, 2012

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Just got a i5 iMac that I love but not impressed with the sound at all (not that I expected to be blown away or anything), it just sounds muffled. Are there any decent options for a speakers that would be able to fit under the display? I dont have much desk room.

Also while Im posting, I ordered a refurb, got it home and unpacked it only to find that one of the fans would not stop running at full speed constantly no matter what. Made a genius bar appointment tonight, took it in, the guy immediately said he doesn't work on new computers and he would exchange it. Informed it that it was a refurb and still no problem, new iMac.

e: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7612VC/A/xtrememac-tango-bar-speaker?fnode=MTY1NDA0MA
something like that

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 31, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Choadmaster posted:

Refurbs come in a box :confused:.

Also, they come with a full warranty and are really no different from new. But for just 34 bucks more, do your thing...

To be fair, they come in a plain brown box. At least my girlfriend's did. I can see something like that possibly making a difference in the resale market, and for $34 bucks it's no biggie.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Is it still a good time to buy a Mini?

Looks like it's about mid-cycle.
I figure $579 (Edu pricing) + $40 for 2x4gb of memory = just under $700 after tax is not a bad price. I already have a monitor (U2311h), keyboard (Realforce 86u), and Mouse (msie3.0).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Depends how long you can stand to wait. Only obvious update on the horizon is Ivy Bridge, which is April/May iirc, so that would be the earliest time for a new one, probably a while afterwards like the current mini took. That'll bump up the integrated GPU performance, decent likelihood of USB 3, and lower power quad core CPUs but I don't expect that on the lower end.

If you can't wait and really want a mini I'd look out for a refurb, I think they're $100 off (maybe $150 on some?). They go kind of quick so look for some tracker site to help you out there. Otherwise Amazon has them for $568.95 right now, along with a few other places going by here.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ivy bridge isn't a huge deal for me, I'm already upgrading from a mere core2duo mbp.

I'm in Canada, the only refurbs they have are core2duo based ones and servers :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

illcendiary posted:

To be fair, they come in a plain brown box. At least my girlfriend's did. I can see something like that possibly making a difference in the resale market, and for $34 bucks it's no biggie.

My roommate's came nicely packaged in a normal iMac box. Weird.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Trip report for the AEBS Firmware 7.6.1.

Flashed the AEBS, for some reason it wanted me to enter DNS servers again. Also, for some reason my throughput dropped to 20 Mbit/sec.

Powered down cable modem AND AEBS. Brought cable modem back, waited 30 seconds, repowered my AEBS 3rd gen, speedtest said I was back at 51-53 Mbit. Huh.

Wireless printer still works, network scanning still works, I can access my 8 GB USB key as a remote Airdisk via Back To My Mac, nifty.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 31, 2012

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just saw some leaked benchmarks for Ivy Bridge and apparently the Intel HD4000 is going to be ~125% more powerful than the HD3000.

The next Macbook Air/Pro stock refresh just can't come quickly enough. I need some new technology in my life.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Endman posted:

Just saw some leaked benchmarks for Ivy Bridge and apparently the Intel HD4000 is going to be ~125% more powerful than the HD3000.

The next Macbook Air/Pro stock refresh just can't come quickly enough. I need some new technology in my life.

Oh drat... I didn't want to upgrade this generation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

notMordecai posted:

I know this has been probably asked to death but does the default 2GB amount of ram ever become a hassle? I had planned to use mine with bootcamp/parallels so I am obviously going to get 4GB ordered into mine but mostly asking for the casual user that my GF is going to use her's for.

I seriously feel that her using Chrome and feed heavy websites like Tumblr, torrenting, and flashier website might make the thing chug. Do I have anything to worry about?

I have a C2D 11" with 2GB, I never have any issues with it a lot of times I have 600-700MB free according to MenuMeters. That said, I would only buy a new one with 4GB, assuming the upgrade wasn't more than $100.

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

After doing a bit of math I realized that the EPP discount is blown out of the water due to the fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax (which I think comes to $200+ for two machines and two AppleCares). I could essentially pay less for two 13" base models than a higher end 11", since my gf was willing to cover the cost her AppleCare. Free two day shipping too.

Man Amazon owns owns owns.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

notMordecai posted:

After doing a bit of math I realized that the EPP discount is blown out of the water due to the fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax (which I think comes to $200+ for two machines and two AppleCares). I could essentially pay less for two 13" base models than a higher end 11", since my gf was willing to cover the cost her AppleCare. Free two day shipping too.

Man Amazon owns owns owns.

I know you also said you wanted AppleCare, however if you look there are many Amazon Warehouse deals that are willing to sell you "Used - Like New" condition items for another $100-200 off. I purchased two Apple items from Amazon Warehouse at nearly 40% off the normal cost under "Used - Like New" condition and they were as if they were brand new, and I registered for them under the Apple Support Site so I had AppleCare no problem. The Warehouse deals are also 2 day shipping and tax free.

For Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005CWIRPG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1328038998&sr=8-4&condition=used 990.87 for a Used - Like new $1200 version of the 11 inch Air. Its in-line with the Apple refurb store prices.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2012

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Just ordered 16 GB of RAM for my early 2011 15" MBP (already upgraded to 8 GB), since it apparently supports that and it has gone way down in price over the last few months. I use Photoshop and After Effects for work and experience some slowdown pretty regularly, although I'm not sure if the memory is the bottleneck.

Does anybody in the thread have any experience with this setup?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rear end cobra posted:

Just ordered 16 GB of RAM for my early 2011 15" MBP (already upgraded to 8 GB), since it apparently supports that and it has gone way down in price over the last few months. I use Photoshop and After Effects for work and experience some slowdown pretty regularly, although I'm not sure if the memory is the bottleneck.

Does anybody in the thread have any experience with this setup?

Why didn't you monitor your memory/swap usage before ordering it? That right there would have told you if you need more RAM or not.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Yeah, tried that now, and with 6 tabs in Chrome, one After Effects project and two layered-to-gently caress psds open, I get memory swaps as soon as I try to do anything productive, so I guess I can defend my use of disposable cash on something other than alcohol.

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

Yeah, tried that now, and with 6 tabs in Chrome, one After Effects project and two layered-to-gently caress psds open, I get memory swaps as soon as I try to do anything productive, so I guess I can defend my use of disposable cash on something other than alcohol.

Once you have 16GB and you're not particularly taxing it, it's fun to make a temporary 8GB RAM disk and render AE projects to it. LIKE BUTTA. :woop:
Same goes for other temporary disk operations. Toss an ISO to RAM disk, mount it, whee. Likely not the safest thing to do given RAM fragmentation or whatever, but for one-off use it can be blisteringly fast.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I know all the Netgear and Synology NASes do Time Machine natively, and the newer Netgear routers should let you do it over USB storage as well.

Thanks for the tip! I picked up a Netgear N600 (WNDRMAC v2) over the weekend for $99. After a firmware update, I can confirm it supports wireless Time Machine to Lion computers via its rear USB port.
Edit: didn't hold up past a day. All it does is corrupt the individual volumes of any connected disk. It's going back.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 2, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gee, only $100 (plus a $50 cable) to connect a drive I already own with Thunderbolt.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Gee, only $100 (plus a $50 cable) to connect a drive I already own with Thunderbolt.

"Transfer speeds up to 10/Gbps*"

* Except for the fact you have a power sipping 7200 RPM drive and will get NOWHERE near that speed. And I don't think we are going to allow you to daisy chain so gently caress you!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well if it's bootable there's your $150 SATA adapter if you want a boot SSD without opening up your iMac or Mac mini.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So I'm looking to replace my laptop that's gone haywire. I'm considering picking up a used Early 2008 Macbook (white body), 2ghz C2D, 4gb RAM, G-Force 9400M, and OSX Lion. I'm not going to be using it for ANY gaming at all (I have a desktop for that). It's going to be mainly for internet browsing, work (spreadsheets/email), and iTunes usage. Maybe I'd like to dabble in Garage Band a bit, but it isn't necessary.

I could pick one of those up for ~$500. Worth buying? I feel like spending that would be better than buying any of the $349 windows laptops from Best Buy/Target/walmart.

I've tried googling for the info but I'm not really finding results for performance in modern day use. I assume it would be a safe buy but I didn't know if buying one would be an exercise in frustration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Personally i would try to find a Macbook Pro - You should be able to get one for the same specs for not much more coin. The screen is that much better.

Another idea would be an 11" Air. You can get them for $550, they're super small and will work for what you want. a 64GB model might be cramped with iTunes, after installing Office, web browsers, etc you'll only have about 35GB left. Depends on how big your music library is I guess. 13" Air would be even better but I don't now if they are that cheap yet.

A unibody white Macbook would be really nice - fast and they have the 7-hour battery, but they still fetch a pretty high price and the screen isn't any better than the regular white Macbook.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
My charger no longer works but im under AppleCare. Problem is, there are no Apple stores around. Should I take it to an Apple resaler or just call Applecare?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize they were that cheap for the 11" airs. That's definitely a possibility since none of my music would be housed on the laptop itself -- it would be on my desktop which I would stream from.

Edit: actually it's a 2009 MacBook unibody plastic. Still all white but it isn't like the 08. Still worth looking for an air? Or would this be a decent enough computer for basic tasks? I'm only looking for slightly more powerful than a NetBook here.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Phiberoptik posted:

My charger no longer works but im under AppleCare. Problem is, there are no Apple stores around. Should I take it to an Apple resaler or just call Applecare?

Start with AppleCare.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

I'm having an issue with my brand new 2011 27" iMac. I just picked up a powered Newer Technology USB hub and now the machine turns off when it goes to sleep. I can reproduce it about 75% of the time. When I unplug the hub the issue seems to go away. The machine passes AHT and doesn't seem to be behaving strangely outside of this.

I'm pretty sure the hub is just bad. Is there anything I should know about powered USB hubs and the iMac? Any recommendations for a hub to exchange this one for?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just use a generic 7 port powered USB hub I bought from Monoprice a few years ago and it works fine on my 27" iMac

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I just use a generic 7 port powered USB hub I bought from Monoprice a few years ago and it works fine on my 27" iMac

I just got an RMA for the hub from OWC. I think I'm just going to grab the 7 port MacAlly hub they have for the same price.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So on my 2011 iMac every once in a while my external monitors will get static on them. Then eventually they go full on colored tv static until I unplug and plug the monitors back in. I had this issue as well on my 2006 Mac Pro where the conclusion was that for some reason or another the 5770 did not like having 3 monitors that were not display port hooked up at the same time. These monitors are hooked up over DVI through a converter which makes me wonder if I need to get display port-capable monitors, and if it would even fix my issue.

Thoughts? Are there any monitors that are mini display port that AREN'T the apple display?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Endman posted:

I am so freaking excited for an Air with Ivy Bridge and that massive increase in graphics performance. I generally hate the mentality of "waiting for the next version" unless something is imminent, but in this case I think it's justified. If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up a maxed out Ivy Bridge 11" Air in June with that sweet $500 employee discount (offered a friend 100 bucks to let me use hers and she agreed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

So on my 2011 iMac every once in a while my external monitors will get static on them. Then eventually they go full on colored tv static until I unplug and plug the monitors back in. I had this issue as well on my 2006 Mac Pro where the conclusion was that for some reason or another the 5770 did not like having 3 monitors that were not display port hooked up at the same time. These monitors are hooked up over DVI through a converter which makes me wonder if I need to get display port-capable monitors, and if it would even fix my issue.

Thoughts? Are there any monitors that are mini display port that AREN'T the apple display?

My 2010 iMac did that once in a while when I first got it, but it hasn't since. It was usually when I'd boot up, my external would be snow/colored snow. But since all the firmware updates and everything, I haven't seen it in at least 7-8 months. I'm using a Viewsonic VG2236wm-LED with a MDP->DVI converter.