Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

i hope the dave schultz invitational is full of cheating and kimuras

Kimura would be mark schultz. The dave schultz invitational would be cheating and headlocks.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hrouH3iWU&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
whatever the gently caress that guy does to get underneath + behind that guy at 2:21 is phenomenal

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Christ, I never get this impressed when I watch other grappling sports. The moves on some of these wrestlers is just completely incredible.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

david carmichael posted:

whatever the gently caress that guy does to get underneath + behind that guy at 2:21 is phenomenal

Haha I've actually been teaching this to our wrestlers for awhile, it looks cool but it's not really very hard. I feel like it's the 'cleanest' gameplan for wrestlers in submission grappling events: Just shoot, look for double underhooks, shuck their arm off as soon as it touches your shoulder, then use your waist grip to turn the corner.

We actually have them finish a bit differently though: instead of getting a waist grip once they're behind the guy, we tell them to get an over/under and try to dive over his shoulder. This usually leaves them in good position to play for a quick RNC.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Please enjoy this video of Nam Phan pulling mount on one of Eddie Bravo's guys in a grappling tourney and almost instantly getting submitted. Oh Nam :sweatdrop:

If you scroll down you can see a video of the same guy tapping someone out with a twister, also something about chemtrails.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

drat. What impresses me the most is their incredible ability to keep someone on their back from any position when they first secure it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
That was an amazing video. I'm with you bohemian nights, I think wrestling highlight vids are my favourite. Is a lot of that improvisation and just doing anything to win?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
wrestling matches are also only 6-8 minutes (right?)So you have less time to get your win and more incentive to go balls out because you're basically trying to dump as much stored energy as possible to get the win. Compare that to a 20 minute match where that pace is not sustainable and you have to do more modulating.

There are also rule differences that lead to more dynamic stuff in wrestling matches versus sub grappling

Wrestling still kicks rear end and has been under appreciated for way too long.

That foot sweep at 1:31 is incredible.

Stuck in Elevator
May 27, 2007
It's not so bad, there's a Czech newspaper in here.
So I've entered my first submission grappling tournament for this weekend, after previously competed in two gi tournys. I have six days to learn what the hell is going on in nogi, how to defend toeholds and kneebars, and most importantly, how to avoid being Twister'd.

Any tips for transitioning from solely gi to nogi? The comp isn't IBJJF rules either, if it goes five minutes the ref just awards to the most active fighter, so no hanging out in side control watching the minutes melt away for this guy.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Stuck in Elevator posted:

So I've entered my first submission grappling tournament for this weekend, after previously competed in two gi tournys. I have six days to learn what the hell is going on in nogi, how to defend toeholds and kneebars, and most importantly, how to avoid being Twister'd.

Any tips for transitioning from solely gi to nogi? The comp isn't IBJJF rules either, if it goes five minutes the ref just awards to the most active fighter, so no hanging out in side control watching the minutes melt away for this guy.
Hunt for over and underhooks. You won't have anything to hold onto. Also, don't trust your position too much, the guy will be sweaty as hell and just slip out.

E: Sparring no gi with guys who only have done gi is the greatest. Leg locks are god mode.

widunder fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 31, 2012

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
When I have a guys back and I'm going for the blood choke or air choke, are they both called a rear naked choke? How would I differentiate between them by name? (in english, I don't care about memorizing the japanese names at the moment)

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nierbo posted:

When I have a guys back and I'm going for the blood choke or air choke, are they both called a rear naked choke? How would I differentiate between them by name? (in english, I don't care about memorizing the japanese names at the moment)
Yes they're called the same, they just have different grips. What you call the air choke variant is a RNC with a gable grip. I've also heard it called seatbelt (resembled the seatbelt/overunder position), mma (easier to do with gloves) and jack (because of how you use your elbow on their back), but I think RNC with a gable grip is the best name for it.

On a sidenote about the air/blood choke thing, almost all of the chokes you will do are blood chokes including the RNC with the gable grip. Air chokes don't really shut off the air supply unless you use enough force that you risk damaging his windpipe or larynx (and because it takes a good amount of time for his body to use up the oxygen in his blood it also takes awhile), so basically unless you're willing to risk hurting someone you're hoping he taps to pain. For blood chokes to work it's only necessary to reduce the flow of a carotid artery on one side, and that's in reality what happens when a guy goes to sleep with a gable grip.

Dante fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 31, 2012

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I just call the first one the "nice" RNC and the second one the "not-so-nice" one since half the time it seems like dudes just end up crushing your trachea.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Well the IBJJF has loving done it now, they've updated their already dumb ruleset on reaping to basically ban any berimbolo and DLR sweep that puts inward pressure on the knee. They also of course did this right before the euros so a bunch of people didn't know and got DQ'ed. I don't really have any faith that this is done to protect the fighters, this is probably just another step to "clean it up" for the olympics where this horrible banning poo poo will just continue to judo-esque levels. Hillary Williams (who aside from being a good competitor and licensed IBJJF referee doesn't have any more connection as far as I know) is making some horrible defenses of these rules too over on the underground which just makes me worry more that this is what they're really thinking behind the scenes:

quote:

Jiu Jitsu historically has NEVER emphasized leg attacks. So it's not in the sport. And in congruency with rules already in motion that do not allow inward pressure on the knee, something else that does it cannot be allowed.

quote:

I think it's important to keep in mind here that berimbolo is quite new, I would bet that a vast minority of schools play and/or teach it. All the other students who are unaware of and not exposed to this until tournaments are quite often the cause of these injuries rather than the move itself. But the fact remains that people do get hurt.
This well "this is new and unhistorical to our sacred sport, someone might get hurt lets ban" it is an awful attitude that has poo poo all over judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Talking of rear naked chokes, anyone has a good video of step-by-step way to get the rear naked choke from back mount with over/under? I usually just wing it mixing stuff I learned with intuition, but there's probably some good step by step guide on how to proceed.

I usually end up doing the clock choke or something else involving collars once I get back mount.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Bjj is approaching that time in a martial art's lifespan where it levels off in growth and they start adding lovely rules and dumb limitations that lead to over specialized training.

Don't worry our grandkids will still do bjj but you will be required to touch your back to the mat at all times and matches will resemble two cuttlefish engaging in a courtship ritual.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dante posted:

Well the IBJJF has loving done it now, they've updated their already dumb ruleset on reaping to basically ban any berimbolo and DLR sweep that puts inward pressure on the knee. They also of course did this right before the euros so a bunch of people didn't know and got DQ'ed. I don't really have any faith that this is done to protect the fighters, this is probably just another step to "clean it up" for the olympics where this horrible banning poo poo will just continue to judo-esque levels. Hillary Williams (who aside from being a good competitor and licensed IBJJF referee doesn't have any more connection as far as I know) is making some horrible defenses of these rules too over on the underground which just makes me worry more that this is what they're really thinking behind the scenes:

This well "this is new and unhistorical to our sacred sport, someone might get hurt lets ban" it is an awful attitude that has poo poo all over judo.

The argument that "this historically isn't part of the sport" is really dumb for a sport that historically steals whatever works from other sports.

Next they should ban all takedowns aside from "hug+fall over" because wrestling is not historically part of the sport.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

Talking of rear naked chokes, anyone has a good video of step-by-step way to get the rear naked choke from back mount with over/under? I usually just wing it mixing stuff I learned with intuition, but there's probably some good step by step guide on how to proceed.

I usually end up doing the clock choke or something else involving collars once I get back mount.

Stephan Kesting's is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176SLdBhj_A

Also, a "clock choke" from back mount? Do you mean the bow and arrow choke? As far as I know the clock choke refers to the one you do from the side to a guy who's turtled.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

colonel_korn posted:

Stephan Kesting's is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176SLdBhj_A

Also, a "clock choke" from back mount? Do you mean the bow and arrow choke? As far as I know the clock choke refers to the one you do from the side to a guy who's turtled.

Thanks for the link, will watch that thoroughly.

What I meant is that I'll get the lapel/forearm grip while in back mount and move to side of their turtle to apply the choke if I get the opportunity. I like it because you really don't need to get your grip on the lapel deep so I catch that more often than other things when people are protecting their neck. Of course you need to be on top of a turtled/on his stomach guy so it won't work if you turned him over on his back or side. It's probably considered a very bad idea to abandon back mount, but I suck at it and my clock choke is getting solid. Also judo guys really love to turtle so I get a ton of opportunity to try it.

Seeing that bow and arrow choke makes me want to try to do that instead once I get the lapel from back mount though.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Rear naked choke is very hard to get with the gi in the way, just go for the collar. Clock choke is great for punishing habitual turtlers and bow and arrow is very easy from any kind of over/under back control (probably the most common sub I get in competition in fact). Just be sure to keep the elbow of your choking arm in tight to prevent your arm being pulled over their head and you're golden.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Taratang posted:

Rear naked choke is very hard to get with the gi in the way, just go for the collar. Clock choke is great for punishing habitual turtlers and bow and arrow is very easy from any kind of over/under back control (probably the most common sub I get in competition in fact). Just be sure to keep the elbow of your choking arm in tight to prevent your arm being pulled over their head and you're golden.
I read somewhere that the bow and arrow is like the most common choke in high level gi competition.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

nemoulette posted:

I read somewhere that the bow and arrow is like the most common choke in high level gi competition.

It's probably the most common submission period and collar chokes put together make up the majority of submissions in total.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I always look for the rear naked first but usually finish with the slide choke from the back, it seems very easy to get. The bow and arrow is pretty sick too... I lost to that choke in my first gi match :(

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mindtwist posted:

I always look for the rear naked first but usually finish with the slide choke from the back, it seems very easy to get. The bow and arrow is pretty sick too... I lost to that choke in my first gi match :(

I lost to a guy at blue belt to that as well. I spent 3 minutes making him hop like a rabbit in my x-guard then he got out and choked me with like a minute left.

I feel bad since I haven't competed in like two years, since I got to purple. I'd like to but I hate how poorly run most tournaments are, the enormous "do anything to win a meaningless trophy" assholes and the time commitment to take a whole saturday to sit around. Plus $70 is the standard around here and that seems like a bit of a ripoff.

If there was a like 12pm-6pm, well run $20 entry or whatever mini tournament series I'd do it once or twice a month.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

I lost to a guy at blue belt to that as well. I spent 3 minutes making him hop like a rabbit in my x-guard then he got out and choked me with like a minute left.

I feel bad since I haven't competed in like two years, since I got to purple. I'd like to but I hate how poorly run most tournaments are, the enormous "do anything to win a meaningless trophy" assholes and the time commitment to take a whole saturday to sit around. Plus $70 is the standard around here and that seems like a bit of a ripoff.

If there was a like 12pm-6pm, well run $20 entry or whatever mini tournament series I'd do it once or twice a month.
Go talk to your school and ask if they'd be interested in doing an interschool tourny in the area if you do all the organizing. If you set it up right you can get 4-5 schools and a nice turnout for the purple and below and after doing it once it'll pretty much run itself. Throw some names in a hat and set up a pool and run the matches over 2 saturdays or something. You can get nonshit refs and rules probably too and it's nice experience for the big comps. The winner can get a yellow t-shirt that says LOCAL CHAMP or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Definitely have a look at the Kesting video. One bit of note, as my coach showed me, is that on his step "the tiger claw" he shortcuts the process a little too much. It might be difficult to get that hand all the way to the shoulder blade. Instead try to reach the tricep instead, and you can strip their hand and pull the choke tighter like kesting shows.

Also, Don't loving cross your ankles in rear mount (I'm sure you don't but I might as well harp on it while I'm out with my stupid crossing my ankles injury).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Also, Don't loving cross your ankles in rear mount (I'm sure you don't but I might as well harp on it while I'm out with my stupid crossing my ankles injury).
On the flipside whenever someone has sunk the RNC on you, always try a hailmary by grabbing their ankels/gi pants and cross them then trying to submit them. You'll probably go to sleep first, but if you don't it's hilarious.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

My take on it - ADCC is the biggest money grappling tournament there is. You can't make a living just competing in the IBJJF; the money comes from A) running your academy, B) making instructionals, C) MMA, and D) the few grappling tournaments like ADCC that pay significant cash. Last year's ADCC, berimbolos were all over the place and leglocks were the single most common submission - if you train just for IBJJF rules, you're going to handicap yourself for two of the four major ways that you make money through jiujitsu. There's a lot of tradition and politics keeping IBJJF in the forefront, but if it doesn't either change its rules or start offering tournaments with significant prize money, it's going to recede in importance in terms of where the major competitors choose to compete.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Does the ADCC ruleset see much use outside of the tournament series itself?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

My take on it - ADCC is the biggest money grappling tournament there is. You can't make a living just competing in the IBJJF; the money comes from A) running your academy, B) making instructionals, C) MMA, and D) the few grappling tournaments like ADCC that pay significant cash. Last year's ADCC, berimbolos were all over the place and leglocks were the single most common submission - if you train just for IBJJF rules, you're going to handicap yourself for two of the four major ways that you make money through jiujitsu. There's a lot of tradition and politics keeping IBJJF in the forefront, but if it doesn't either change its rules or start offering tournaments with significant prize money, it's going to recede in importance in terms of where the major competitors choose to compete.
Well we can hope for that, but it's by no means certain. The momentum that BJJ is gathering combined with the inertia of IBJJF as a prestigious tournament and standard-setting regulatory federation is worrying. While (almost) everyone who competes in the ADCC trains with the gi, nogi is still different enough that you can get by with two different rulesets living side by side. The Abu Dhabi Pros for instance use the IBJJF rules. The real threat is what happens if it goes olympic, which the IBJJF has been lobbying extensively for. The gravitas of the olympics instantly enforce itself as the industry standard and they would obviously pick up the IBJJF ruleset. Pretty much the only sports that can branch out of that are popular spectator sports like boxing or folkstyle wrestling with its school system and cultural background.

On a sidenote here's a pretty interesting snippet about the IBJJF. It's been critized before for being run like a club for friends and it apparently still is.

quote:

I very recently became a recognized IBJJF black belt which required me to fork over $60 bucks for a referee course, $90 dollars for a first aid course, and finally $400 dollars to become registered. Now I'm a part of the organization, where is there a rules committee? The board of directors? Where's my vote? Where's my ability to participate on issues and topics that affect the organization? So far the only thing this registration has given me is the ability to send students to tournaments under my name and stripe recognition for my black belt degrees as I receive them. Going to the website reveals a FAQ page that's been empty for years and a few emails in which to contact the org. There's not even a list of people who work in this organization! Personally, I think the organization needs to confer with it's members, especially it's black belts, about these rules and issues in general that affect it's members. Their tournaments are super organized, now its time to clean house.

Dante fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 31, 2012

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
http://vimeo.com/22637689

Mastering that butterfly elevator back take (at :35) is my new project.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dante posted:

Go talk to your school and ask if they'd be interested in doing an interschool tourny in the area if you do all the organizing. If you set it up right you can get 4-5 schools and a nice turnout for the purple and below and after doing it once it'll pretty much run itself. Throw some names in a hat and set up a pool and run the matches over 2 saturdays or something. You can get nonshit refs and rules probably too and it's nice experience for the big comps. The winner can get a yellow t-shirt that says LOCAL CHAMP or something.

I know this probably sounds like bs coming from a dude who posts on internet forums but my life has about 16 hours of free time a week. I can't possibly get that done. I will shop it around the gym though, maybe someone with more time can run with it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Well we can hope for that, but it's by no means certain. The momentum that BJJ is gathering combined with the inertia of IBJJF as a prestigious tournament and standard-setting regulatory federation is worrying. While (almost) everyone who competes in the ADCC trains with the gi, nogi is still different enough that you can get by with two different rulesets living side by side. The Abu Dhabi Pros for instance use the IBJJF rules. The real threat is what happens if it goes olympic, which the IBJJF has been lobbying extensively for. The gravitas of the olympics instantly enforce itself as the industry standard and they would obviously pick up the IBJJF ruleset.

I agree that that would be the likely outcome, but the IBJJF can lobby itself till it's blue in the face, the chance of BJJ becoming an Olympic sport is incredibly low, because the current tendency is cutting down on events, not adding them, and BJJ is way too close to Judo in ruleset to make the cut. If any submission grappling event gets added, it'll almost certainly be no-gi under the FILA ruleset, since FILA has some political clout with the Olympic committee (and the IBJJF, to put it mildly, does not). The FILA ruleset is it's own can of worms, of course.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I agree that that would be the likely outcome, but the IBJJF can lobby itself till it's blue in the face, the chance of BJJ becoming an Olympic sport is incredibly low, because the current tendency is cutting down on events, not adding them, and BJJ is way too close to Judo in ruleset to make the cut. If any submission grappling event gets added, it'll almost certainly be no-gi under the FILA ruleset, since FILA has some political clout with the Olympic committee (and the IBJJF, to put it mildly, does not). The FILA ruleset is it's own can of worms, of course.
I agree it's unlikely in the near future (though I expect it eventually), but so far the IBJJF inertia is big enough to keep its ruleset as the standard and BJJ's growth has just fed that instead of giving birth to competitors and they're showing every inclination of continuing to groom it to fit the olympic image. Their original lovely reaping rules have already trickled down all over the place. I hope you're right, but so far it seems like every big gi tournament is going lockstep with IBJJF regulations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

I agree it's unlikely in the near future (though I expect it eventually)

I don't. Like I said, FILA no-gi will be in the Olympics long before BJJ ever is, and even that I doubt will happen any time soon.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I don't. Like I said, FILA no-gi will be in the Olympics long before BJJ ever is, and even that I doubt will happen any time soon.
While it's not as spectator-friendly as the olympics like, it's still a martial art that looks traditional and without bloodshed which is quickly rising in popularity. There were rumours of showcasing BJJ in Athens, but that attempt died. I'd be surprised if this didn't come up in Rio though, just like China used the Beijing Olympics as a way to get wushu officially recognized.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

While it's not as spectator-friendly as the olympics like, it's still a martial art that looks traditional and without bloodshed which is quickly rising in popularity. There were rumours of showcasing BJJ in Athens, but that attempt died. I'd be surprised if this didn't come up in Rio though, just like China used the Beijing Olympics as a way to get wushu officially recognized.

It's not really the spectator-friendly aspect; it's the fact that it's very similar to Judo, and the IBJJF's rule changes are making it more similar rather than less. Also, as I said, the fact that FILA has some clout with the Olympic committee and the IBJJF has zero.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

It's not really the spectator-friendly aspect; it's the fact that it's very similar to Judo, and the IBJJF's rule changes are making it more similar rather than less. Also, as I said, the fact that FILA has some clout with the Olympic committee and the IBJJF has zero.
Yeah what you're saying is true, it's just that I have a very optimistic view on BJJ's future so I see BJJ ending up in the olympics within my lifetime. In any case the IBJJF is still chugging along ruining things for everyone so far, even though some of their more controversial rules have been in for years now. I hope you're right and some other ruleset becomes a foundation for a recognized tournament.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Yeah what you're saying is true, it's just that I have a very optimistic view on BJJ's future so I see BJJ ending up in the olympics within my lifetime. In any case the IBJJF is still chugging along ruining things for everyone so far, even though some of their more controversial rules have been in for years now. I hope you're right and some other ruleset becomes a foundation for a recognized tournament.

I actually like the FILA scoring rules, aside from their retarded positional resets for out-of-bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fatherdog posted:

I actually like the FILA scoring rules, aside from their retarded positional resets for out-of-bounds.
They're not horrible, but they still have some of the bad quirks of other rulesystems (penalties for sitting down, points for takedowns) and some dumb ones of their own (weird restarts, points for regaining guard).

Positional scoring is a nessecary evil, but honestly I wish they'd do away with all the fluff around it and only give points for the classic positions and then have first man who scores wins when it hits overtime (also 5 minutes isn't enough).

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 31, 2012