Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

moms pubis posted:

If you're just playing local files and not streaming, why even use the Spotify app? Just use the stock music player.

Having used Spotify premium, pretty sure he's still using Spotify's (protected) tracks, which can only be played through the app (they're just stored on his phone as opposed to streaming). Almost positive spotify doesn't have the functionality he wants, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.

Man, that sucks, sorry to hear it. At this point your only hope is one of the other apps or rooting.

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Having used Spotify premium, pretty sure he's still using Spotify's (protected) tracks, which can only be played through the app (they're just stored on his phone as opposed to streaming). Almost positive spotify doesn't have the functionality he wants, however.

Yep that's my problem. Oh well, I guess I'll have to push the play button every time I get in my car. Life is rough.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I'm taking a long(ish) drive this week and was hoping to find a good "dashboard cam" app. Ideally, it'd sit there and take a 720p picture every 30 seconds so I could stitch it back together and create a cool video like these guys. I have a Nexus S 4G so I don't think taking a frame of video would work very well since the video camera kind of sucks.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Crossposting from the Android rooted thread about an issue I was having with LBE Privacy Guard.

Odette posted:

Slopehead posted:

While you're at it, get rid of your interstitial advertising with Adfree Android. You'll be glad you did. Snag LBE Privacy Control too, it's very low on system resources and is an absolute goldmine for tracking/controlling permissions and internet connectivity on a per app basis.

That app is poo poo or something. After installing it, I couldn't connect to wireless networks, send SMS, browse internet or even connect to my phone network. Rebooting/restarting didn't help so I uninstalled it.

EDIT: Had to restore wifi settings via Titanium for everything to start working again. I'm avoiding that app like the plague now. Which kinda sucks because I was having fun setting it up.

Slopehead posted:

That's really bizarre. Are you sure you got the version which supports the gingerbread kernel? I'm not sure if they pulled the old one yet. Also to be clear are we talking lbe or adfree android?

edit: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lbe.security.lite

This is the one you got, right?

Edit 2: For some strange reason it could have blacklisted everything on the phone. Since this really is more of an app discussion please feel free to pm me. I'm a big proponent of privacy control on android and this issue concerns me greatly, but it's a bit off topic for the discussion of rooting devices.

Yeah, that is the app (LBE) I downloaded and installed that was giving me trouble. I've been running AdFree Android since I got the phone without any issues.

Background info on phone - Samsung Galaxy S2 (Int'l version) running the latest CM7.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I recently came across an HP Touchpad and quickly put CM9 which of course runs ICS. I'm curious if there are any android apps that can help me learn programming? I know very little besides some rudimentary Java/HTML/CSS classes in school.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I recently came across an HP Touchpad and quickly put CM9 which of course runs ICS. I'm curious if there are any android apps that can help me learn programming? I know very little besides some rudimentary Java/HTML/CSS classes in school.

Pick a language, buy an ebook?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I went to that link and it told me that Maps is already installed. All I could uninstall were the updates. So I removed those, installed from the link and got the same issue.

So I'm guessing that Bell has it locked.
If you're rooted, go into /system/app and delete the preinstalled version then reboot and download the correct version from the Market. I can't see how (legally) a carrier would be able to block the use of Google applications on a Market-certified phone.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

gotly posted:

I'm taking a long(ish) drive this week and was hoping to find a good "dashboard cam" app. Ideally, it'd sit there and take a 720p picture every 30 seconds so I could stitch it back together and create a cool video like these guys. I have a Nexus S 4G so I don't think taking a frame of video would work very well since the video camera kind of sucks.

You could give Lapse it a go.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

LastInLine posted:

If you're rooted, go into /system/app and delete the preinstalled version then reboot and download the correct version from the Market. I can't see how (legally) a carrier would be able to block the use of Google applications on a Market-certified phone.

I can't even find how to do that. Oh well, I'll give Waze a try and see. I don't need GPS that much and I was just playing with the phone when I stumbled on this. Maybe the update to ICS will resolve it. If not I'll play with it then.

Thanks everyone

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing Pie posted:

You could try Code Academy. It's not an app per se, but all of the lessons work on my iPad. Haven't tried on an Android device because I've got a phone, not an Android tablet, but I expect it would work fine.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
For those of you that are sysadmins, what are some valuable apps you use everyday to administer your network or even remote into to users computers?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IT Guy posted:

For those of you that are sysadmins, what are some valuable apps you use everyday to administer your network or even remote into to users computers?

AIX Admin - I use ConnectBot extensively. Hacker's keyboard is also great for that (though I haven't used it in a while, as I've just gotten used to doing things the Swype way).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

woofi users:

I'm in the thinking stages about upcoming updates to woofi. One of the problems with woofi is that a lot of people get confused about why it's doing what it's doing. A lot of that has to do with the fact that woofi relies on a lot of "fuzzy" data to do it's job....location fixes are imprecise, routers take too long to connect, data connection isn't always available, travel time estimates are off by multiple minutes, etc. Woofi has heuristics to deal with all of that but these things make the behavior unpredictable at times.

What I'm thinking about doing is changing how woofi presents its functionality to the user. Without talking specifically about the UI, I'm thinking about changing the "contract" with the user. Instead of the user configuring all the intervals and whatnot, woofi just says "I will do my best to connect to your WiFi as soon as you arrive at your saved locations, but depending on various circumstances it may be up to 15 minutes after arriving at a saved location".

This is actually what's going on now, but the availability of some of the preferences, and the fact that woofi doesn't explicitly describe itself that way, leads to a lot of support emails...

Secondly: I've had a few requests for woofi to turn off mobile data when it isn't using it. This would mean that whenever woofi wasn't checking your location you wouldn't have data. The only time you'd have data service is when you were connected to WiFi. Of course, you'd be able to toggle data back on manually.

Is this something anyone here would use?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

No. I use woofi because I'm too lazy to toggle poo poo. I just set my locations and never have to check it again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As an option no problem (i wouldn't use it).

The beta is trouble-free for me btw, hadn't failed to check/connect once for me. Thanks.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thermopyle posted:

woofi users:

1) sounds good
2) not really something I'd use but for people without a data plan this sounds good

Also would it be possible to have sleep periods to stop woofi from checking from 0:00 to 6:00 or something like that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sereri posted:

Also would it be possible to have sleep periods to stop woofi from checking from 0:00 to 6:00 or something like that?

Good idea. Added to my features list.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Thermopyle posted:

Secondly: I've had a few requests for woofi to turn off mobile data when it isn't using it. This would mean that whenever woofi wasn't checking your location you wouldn't have data. The only time you'd have data service is when you were connected to WiFi. Of course, you'd be able to toggle data back on manually.

I would like the ability to turn off email/texting/Talk while I'm driving but still receive phone calls, so yeah, that's a cool idea. Same for when I go to sleep. I know I can just mute notifications but it'd be nice to not have curiosity enter the picture; ie: I hate it when I lose some of my shower and dress time to interesting emails, but they're interesting and I'm often too groggy to resist.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait I'm confused, isn't data always on when you have an active wifi connection?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Wait I'm confused, isn't data always on when you have an active wifi connection?

I'm talking about when you're not on WiFi. So like when you're driving from the office to home, mobile data would be off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's basically exactly what JuiceDefender does, including the "night time" mode, so I'd say that it certainly is something people want.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, so turning mobile data off permanently would accomplish the same thing: on wifi, connects to data (over wifi). Away from wifi, no mobile data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Yes, so turning mobile data off permanently would accomplish the same thing: on wifi, connects to data (over wifi). Away from wifi, no mobile data.

Right, but woofi would have to turn it back on when it's doing a location check since it uses the data network to fetch travel time from your current location to the closest saved location.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ah, gotcha. Please continue.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Got a new phone today (Samsung Galaxy W) and I don't really like the standard messaging app. I can't change the colours of the text bubbles, and they're in some lovely yellow.
I've tried Handcent, but there are just way too many customisation options. And all the skins I've scrolled through are way too bright pink/flowery/a million colours squeezed into one screen. Am I looking in the wrong places for decent skins?
I also tried that ICS messaging app, but I didn't really like the ads. Any suggestions?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Return that phone and get something else would be my first suggestion. For messaging apps, did you try chomp?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

big mean giraffe posted:

Return that phone and get something else would be my first suggestion.
Yeah, I'm not gonna do that. Why?

big mean giraffe posted:

For messaging apps, did you try chomp?

And nope, I'll look into it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

Right, but woofi would have to turn it back on when it's doing a location check since it uses the data network to fetch travel time from your current location to the closest saved location.

So... the only time you would have any kind of connection to the internet would be when you are home on wifi?

This seems silly to me. What's the point of a smartphone at that point. That's basically an always off device as far as I would view it and no better than just using my tablet and a dumbphone.

I guess there is a market for this, but it doesn't make sense to me. The only time I'm on wifi is when I am home, as we don't have wifi at work.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

beedeebee posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna do that. Why?

As long as you're happy with the phone exactly as it is until your next upgrade, then keep on truckin.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Vaporware posted:

As long as you're happy with the phone exactly as it is until your next upgrade, then keep on truckin.

Yeah, I'm happy with it. For now at least.

Anyway, another quick question: is there a way to move the 'delete widget'-tray in Go launcher to the bottom of the screen? Because if it stays on top of the screen, it interferes with my weather widget (from beautiful widgets).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

So... the only time you would have any kind of connection to the internet would be when you are home on wifi?

This seems silly to me. What's the point of a smartphone at that point. That's basically an always off device as far as I would view it and no better than just using my tablet and a dumbphone.

I guess there is a market for this, but it doesn't make sense to me. The only time I'm on wifi is when I am home, as we don't have wifi at work.

Yes, it seems weird to me as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

rotaryfun posted:

I guess there is a market for this, but it doesn't make sense to me.

It's not about doing this all the time, it's about being able to toggle this when it's appropriate (like driving, for me). More options = more awesome.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Thermopyle posted:

woofi users:

This would be useful if it turned off mobile when not on wifi, but turned it on every x minutes to check for new emails etc. But as mentioned, there are other fully featured power saving apps that do this. It seems unnecessary for woofi.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Seconding the recommendation for ChompSMS.

beedeebee posted:

Anyway, another quick question: is there a way to move the 'delete widget'-tray in Go launcher to the bottom of the screen? Because if it stays on top of the screen, it interferes with my weather widget (from beautiful widgets).

How is it interfering? It only shows up when you go to delete something, but you can still put things at the top of the screen, so what's the problem?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Have any other GN users had problems with the Spotify app? I know the Nexus isn't officially supported by it yet, but it's refusing to recognise my username and password. If I reset my password, it will work the first time I use it and then refuse to recognise it again. Anyone else getting that?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I already know the answer, but is there any way to get rid of the Widgetsoid notification icon instead of just making it transparent? JuiceDefender seems to have no trouble doing so.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Do any of you know a music store I can get mp3s from in Canada? preferably with an app for my desire hd? I'm sure the options are really limited since I'm in Canada. I hate itunes with a passion, and will never give them another dollar, so thats out.

Failing that, is there a decent streaming service you guys would recommend?

E: how does rdio work? Does it save any music to my phone I'm never around wifi so that would be preferable.

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SmokeyXIII posted:

Do any of you know a music store I can get mp3s from in Canada? preferably with an app for my desire hd? I'm sure the options are really limited since I'm in Canada. I hate itunes with a passion, and will never give them another dollar, so thats out.

Failing that, is there a decent streaming service you guys would recommend?

E: how does rdio work? Does it save any music to my phone I'm never around wifi so that would be preferable.

Googlin' says Amazon MP3 downloads work in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pipski posted:

Have any other GN users had problems with the Spotify app? I know the Nexus isn't officially supported by it yet, but it's refusing to recognise my username and password. If I reset my password, it will work the first time I use it and then refuse to recognise it again. Anyone else getting that?

Works fine for me. Well, as fine as the app works in general. They really need to update it with stuff like the ability to resort the local files, add playlist folders, and replace the ugly, ugly UI with one that fits the ICS guidelines.

• Locked thread