Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Contrary to the past decade, the Air Force does have other missions than being the Army's flying artillery and delivery service.

The Army would be more than happy to take over those missions, if the Air Force would let it. But look what happened with the C-27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Koesj posted:

Looks like the Rafale is lined up to win the Indian MMRCA bid.

Shoulda sold them some F-35's.

:haw:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Since we are kind of talking losses of airframes: Are there any replacements slated for a new helicopter? It seems like some months we lose as many troops from Blackhawks falling out of the sky for god knows what reason as we do to enemy action.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Alaan posted:

Since we are kind of talking losses of airframes: Are there any replacements slated for a new helicopter? It seems like some months we lose as many troops from Blackhawks falling out of the sky for god knows what reason as we do to enemy action.

You have some documentation on that?

http://www.armyaircrews.com/blackhawk.html

Maintenance and mechanical failure from age is pretty far down the list as to the cause of helicopter crashes.

The Army is still receiving new UH-60M's and will eventually phase out the A/L's. (in 20 years). (maybe)

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 31, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's probably an argument to be made for exactly that, but you're missing one big problem:

A-10 = Airforce, AH-64 = Army

To cut them both you would either need to completely/largely eliminate the ground support mission of the AF (greatly bulking up Army Air in the process and giving them fixed wing strike aircraft like the F-35) or gut, either in whole or in part, the rotor-wing strike capability of the Army.

Either way, you're facing an uphill political battle on a slope covered in the worst kind of institutional bullshit and defended by some motherfucking entrenched interests.

I absolutely agree with what you're saying. And it explains why the A-10 will be replaced while the AH-64, which is probably less survivable than its fixed wing counterpart, will remain in service.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Oxford Comma posted:

I absolutely agree with what you're saying. And it explains why the A-10 will be replaced while the AH-64, which is probably less survivable than its fixed wing counterpart, will remain in service.

AH-64s don't need runways to take off. That's sort of A Thing for the army.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also, unlike the A-10s, (some) AH-64s have radars :haw:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

priznat posted:

Also, unlike the A-10s, (some) AH-64s have radars :haw:

And can actually utilize things like cover and concealment. Granted that is a very Army way to fight a war so I wouldn't expect the Air Force to understand

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I did a GIS for a pic of the Apache peeking over some tree cover but didn't hit it. I know I've seen that pic someplace and it's very cool.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

priznat posted:

I did a GIS for a pic of the Apache peeking over some tree cover but didn't hit it. I know I've seen that pic someplace and it's very cool.

:v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Haha, it wasn't that exact one (pre `shop), I remember it was some kind of conifers it was looking over.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Apache did draw out one of Nic Cage's best performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyuHA_zAOM

Y'know, Firebirds really is what it looks like. What would happen if the Army tried to make Top Gun.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Army Aviation!

(1920x1200)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember being a kid and being so excited for Firebirds but then the review on the Siskel and Ebert show tore it to shreds, so I was very disappointed.

Probably for the best that I didn't see it, I suppose.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Flight of the Intruder, Firebirds, Iron Eagle.

I loved the poo poo out of cheesy aviation action movies back then.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Flikken posted:

And can actually utilize things like cover and concealment. Granted that is a very Army way to fight a war so I wouldn't expect the Air Force to understand

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Well if you wanted to save money you could start by nationalising key defence industries. :fascistsay:

At a recent defense industrial conference Northrop Grumman's director of strategy gave a presentation that explicitly mentioned the possibility of going back to an arsenal model within certain areas of procurement because there will no longer be sufficient programs to sustain multiple contractors.

It's not so much about saving money as it is about maintaining an industrial base that can continue to innovate and a monopolist position by a contractor of a given niche market does not provide for this.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

LP97S posted:

That dude in the lower left makes me giggle everytime I look at his goofy expression.

Edit: Also, pretty sure that all those people on that Apache are going to exceed its make takeoff weight. Hope they didn't try to all fly at once. :smug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Armyman25 posted:

The Apache did draw out one of Nic Cage's best performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyuHA_zAOM

Y'know, Firebirds really is what it looks like. What would happen if the Army tried to make Top Gun.

Heh. I worked with the guy who played the Bad Guy in that film. Bert Rhine, they brought him in as a technical consultant and to fly the helicopters in the aerial sequences, and then said to him "We...really don't have a bad guy in the film, do you want to be it? We'll give you an acting credit and a line or two." I think the line they gave him to say was "AAAGGGGGH!"

Nicest loving guy in the world. Plays a nice Martin. He wore a T-shirt one day that said "I'd rather be waterboarding" and he's one of the few people in the world who can pull that off without being offensive. Hell of a pilot, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyuULnLsc4w

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

daskrolator posted:

It's not so much about saving money as it is about maintaining an industrial base that can continue to innovate and a monopolist position by a contractor of a given niche market does not provide for this.

It's not like an arsenal model's a real improvement as far as that goes. See for example, Torpedo, Mark 14.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Heh. I worked with the guy who played the Bad Guy in that film. Bert Rhine, they brought him in as a technical consultant and to fly the helicopters in the aerial sequences, and then said to him "We...really don't have a bad guy in the film, do you want to be it? We'll give you an acting credit and a line or two." I think the line they gave him to say was "AAAGGGGGH!"

Nicest loving guy in the world. Plays a nice Martin. He wore a T-shirt one day that said "I'd rather be waterboarding" and he's one of the few people in the world who can pull that off without being offensive. Hell of a pilot, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyuULnLsc4w

That's pretty awesome!

Also, I love how Cage unstraps his helmet there. Hello, you still have to fly home!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Blue Thunder had the best helicopter fight.

You are all horrible people for not realizing this.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Armyman25 posted:

That's pretty awesome!

Also, I love how Cage unstraps his helmet there. Hello, you still have to fly home!

Well he didn't have an oxygen mask to pull off after the fight like the movie that they copied off of were inspired by.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Smiling Jack posted:

Blue Thunder had the best helicopter fight.

You are all horrible people for not realizing this.

Having watched Blue Thunder and now that clip from Firebirds, I agree. Also Roy Scheider and fuckin' Malcom McDowell are about infinity times better than Nic Cage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In my mind, Airwolf is still king but I'm afraid to rewatch it because my current self will probably have a vastly different set of criteria to what constitutes "acceptable entertainment" than what my young punk kid self had.

The theme song still owns though.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

priznat posted:

In my mind, Airwolf is still king but I'm afraid to rewatch it because my current self will probably have a vastly different set of criteria to what constitutes "acceptable entertainment" than what my young punk kid self had.

The theme song still owns though.

From what my friend has told me, you realize that they just use the same 6 shots every episode. Also, best plane movie is The Starfighters because it's an unabashed ad for Lockheed and is boring as hell, like the real Air Force.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LP97S posted:

From what my friend has told me, you realize that they just use the same 6 shots every episode. Also, best plane movie is The Starfighters because it's an unabashed ad for Lockheed and is boring as hell, like the real Air Force.

Shut up SHUT UP LALALALA MY CHILDHOOOOOOOOOOD :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LP97S posted:

“You know, it’s all kind of dull until you remember how sharp those wings are.”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Looking at the poster for the starfighters it made me think would there be any worse ideas than that plane used in a flight demonstration team.

It'd be like just tossing a bunch of syringes into the air.

welp: http://www.starfighters.net/

"here we are going fast.. here we're going fast and straight.. here we're going straight up.. here's 3 of us going fast and straight together!"

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Watch it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/112299/mystery-science-theater-3000-the-starfighters

hulu is the biggest bitch about adblock, ever. I whitelisted your site, stop giving me that message, chumps.

e: god, all the aerial refueling.

so much aerial refueling

iyaayas01, I dare you to defend this :colbert:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Some stuff from English russia

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Man those Iranian F-4s look positively tiny compared to the Sukhois or am I just falling victim to the camera angles?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

movax posted:

Man those Iranian F-4s look positively tiny compared to the Sukhois or am I just falling victim to the camera angles?

The Su-27 is 2.5 meters longer, 3 meters wider, and .92 meters taller. It's a bit of both, but the Su-27 and F-4 are massive planes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Armyman25 posted:

The Army would be more than happy to take over those missions, if the Air Force would let it. But look what happened with the C-27.

Yeah, the C-27 debacle is pretty sorry, although I can't say I didn't see it coming. For the record, I have absolutely zero problem with the Army operating fixed wing transports and I think the decision to give the AF sole ownership of the C-27 was a huge mistake, but I do have an issue with them operating fixed wing strike aircraft. You start down that path and you're going to start to get duplication of effort, as well as the "mine" mentality which is the whole antithesis of centralized control, decentralized execution (and the reason for that mantra in the first place). If I am dividing up the battlefield into various "zones", AirLand Battle style, splitting between artillery, MLRS, helos, and fixed wing makes sense, but you start to lose focus if you are going to begin splitting up between fixed wing aircraft. Obviously there are limitations (an A-10 probably isn't going to be doing deep strategic strike just like the F-111s weren't supposed to be doing CAS) but as I mentioned earlier those lines have begun to blur given the proliferation of GPS guided munitions...with a JDAM, targeting pod, and comms with a JTAC a Strike Eagle can be just as effective of a CAS platform (if not more so) than an A-10. Guns are great, but there's a reason we're spending the money to upgrade the A-10s to give them more advanced avionics and 1760-bus capability.

Oxford Comma posted:

Point of order...not sure if you were saying this, but some other people in the thread have definitely been implying it: while the A-10 is eventually (in theory) supposed to be replaced by the F-35, it's not like the AF is completely getting rid of the A-10 with this recently announced cut. They are cutting 5 squadrons, of which only one is AD (one Reserve and 3 Guard). There are a grand total of (counting whatever unit at D-M is the FTU but not counting T&E/Weapons School) 16 A-10 squadrons AF wide (7 AD, 4 Reserve, and 5 Guard), so cutting 5 isn't like the jet will be completely out of service tomorrow or anything.

Psion posted:

“You know, it’s all kind of dull until you remember how sharp those wings are.”

"So basically, according to themselves, the Air Force is a bunch of leather-faced, not-so-bright, heavy drinking, dull-witted speed-freaks who poop in their pants and can't make it with women, right?"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

"So basically, according to themselves, the Air Force is a bunch of leather-faced, not-so-bright, heavy drinking, dull-witted speed-freaks who poop in their pants and can't make it with women, right?"

"Six and a half scotches later".

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Point of order...not sure if you were saying this, but some other people in the thread have definitely been implying it: while the A-10 is eventually (in theory) supposed to be replaced by the F-35, it's not like the AF is completely getting rid of the A-10 with this recently announced cut. They are cutting 5 squadrons, of which only one is AD (one Reserve and 3 Guard). There are a grand total of (counting whatever unit at D-M is the FTU but not counting T&E/Weapons School) 16 A-10 squadrons AF wide (7 AD, 4 Reserve, and 5 Guard), so cutting 5 isn't like the jet will be completely out of service tomorrow or anything.

I'm sure eventually all A-10 squadrons will be deactivated, but not immediately. I guess my last statement was that the Army seems to want to keep the AH-64 because its something that the Army owns, unlike the A-10.

Also, really surprised the A-10 hasn't been upgraded with some type of radar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxford Comma posted:

Having a giant gun occupying the spot where most fighters carry radar makes it rough, I would imagine.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm sure eventually all A-10 squadrons will be deactivated, but not immediately. I guess my last statement was that the Army seems to want to keep the AH-64 because its something that the Army owns, unlike the A-10.

mlmp08 posted:

Having a giant gun occupying the spot where most fighters carry radar makes it rough, I would imagine.

I've said it earlier, but the Su-25 has been upgraded to have a radar system on it's under-fuselage pylon. It's called the "Kopyo-25" and has the white cap in the pictures, click for big.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

LP97S posted:

Su25T

Throatwarbler posted:

Sukhois.

Unnnnf :fap:

To contribute: http://youtu.be/ZInMDmqHtKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

Unnnnf :fap:

To contribute: http://youtu.be/ZInMDmqHtKY

:gizz: