Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

MrGreenShirt posted:

It's been mentioned here many times, but as far as mysteries on Netflix you can't go wrong with Sherlock. The best adaptation I've ever seen hands-down.

Yeah, if you haven't watched Sherlock yet, stop what you're watching and watch it. Top 5 TV Series for me after 2 seasons. (Heck, 4 episodes). You may have the desire to "obtain" the second series after watching the first one... it's worth it.

Luther was recommended earlier, definitely an interesting take on the One Man Cop trope. It was hard to watch sometimes, but powering through it has been worth it.

Also, Day Break is worth watching as well. Groundhog Day + cop drama in California... taken to all the places that Bill Murray never could. Only had one season, but it wraps up pretty nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good whodunnit?

Murder By Death, I thought it was pretty good. Truman Capote, Peter Falk, Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers. Feels like a proto-Clue.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Are any of the following on Streaming yet? I'm considering returning to Netflix soon, but I have to choose between streaming and DVDs by mail.

Drive
Midnight in Paris
Our Idiot Brother
The Tempest (the Julie Taymor version)
Bunraku (I heard good things -- was I misinformed?)
Justified (from the beginning)
Terriers

Also, I need a new show to get hooked on. My drama favorites include The Wire, LOST, Deadwood, Angel, Twin Peaks, Buffy, Breaking Bad, and I also liked Firefly, Rome, and Carnivale. My comedy favorites include Parks & Recreation, Arrested Development, Community, Louie, How I Met Your Mother, Archer, and The Venture Bros., and I used to like The Office, 30 Rock, and Scrubs, but burned out on them.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Terriers and Bunraku are both on streaming, the rest aren't.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Also, I need a new show to get hooked on. My drama favorites include The Wire, LOST, Deadwood, Angel, Twin Peaks, Buffy, Breaking Bad, and I also liked Firefly, Rome, and Carnivale. My comedy favorites include Parks & Recreation, Arrested Development, Community, Louie, How I Met Your Mother, Archer, and The Venture Bros., and I used to like The Office, 30 Rock, and Scrubs, but burned out on them.

Battlestar Galactica is on instant and it's goddamn amazing. I haven't gotten that hooked on a show since Twin Peaks. Also, Party Down is hilarious, and if you like Arrested Development and Parks and Recreation you'll love it.

SRM fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 30, 2012

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

For drama, I'd give Mad Men a shot. The first season is a little slow, but it is so worth it once you get to that first finale.
For comedy, I'd highly recommend The IT Crowd if you haven't seen it yet. Easily the best British comedy I've seen since Little Britain.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Not misinformed. I saw this a few weeks back and was blown away. Great, great movie. Has a Kill Bill meets Sin City vibe going for it that I found really appealing.

Have you tried Supernatural? Wonderful drama/comedy about two brothers who hunt monsters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FrostedButts posted:

For comedy, I'd highly recommend The IT Crowd if you haven't seen it yet. Easily the best British comedy I've seen since Little Britain.

Yeah, the show (for me) took a few episodes to really hit its stride but once it did I was absolutely hooked. It never really loses its momentum but it sort of petered out near the end with the last episode or so. Still, it's absolutely hilarious and anybody who posts on the forums should appreciate it.

And a general recommendation, Mary and Max is one of the most :smith: movies I've seen in a while. It's a claymation movie about a lonely Australian girl who randomly picks an autistic 40-something from New York out of a phonebook as her pen pal. Maybe I'm just a big softie but it was loving heartwrenching towards the climax, so it's worth a watch if you like depressing movies with bittersweet endings.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mouser.. posted:

I wanted to take a second to recommend:

This is a really fascinating documentary about Donald Crowhurst, a British gentleman who decided that he would participate in a race to circumnavigate the world solo without stopping. Only problem being is that Donald Crowhurst was only an amateur sailor at best. This documentary illustrates very clearly how utter isolation can drive someone to extremes, and the tangled web that Donald weaved (and got caught up in) when he actually participated in the race is some stranger than fiction material. I'd recommend you not learn the history of Donald Crowhurst beforehand, and instead just watch the documentary as it will be much more surprising with what is revealed throughout it.

Deep Water - Netflix Instant Link

Just finished this and it was excellent. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FrostedButts posted:

Easily the best British comedy I've seen since Little Britain.

You need to watch more British comedy.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Supernatural is finally up, I've only seen the first season but it's a drat good season of TV and I recommend the hell out of the show.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Bown posted:

You need to watch more British comedy.

Counterpoint: Don't ever watch British comedy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Supernatural is finally up, I've only seen the first season but it's a drat good season of TV and I recommend the hell out of the show.

It's definitely filling the x-files void in my life. The smoking man is even in a season one episode!

Now they just need to bring fringe to instant.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SRM posted:

Battlestar Galactica is on instant and it's goddamn amazing. I haven't gotten that hooked on a show since Twin Peaks. Also, Party Down is hilarious, and if you like Arrested Development and Parks and Recreation you'll love it.

BSG is loving amazing. You don have to be into scifi to dig it at all.

I love Party Down and Arrested Development. I'll have to try parks and recreation.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Christoff posted:

I love Party Down and Arrested Development. I'll have to try parks and recreation.

Agreed with all these things - you'll love Parks and Rec. If you haven't seen it already, I'm also a big fan of The League (it really picks up in season 2). I also just watched Workaholics, it's actually not that bad.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Unless it's peep show. But that is more of an American Comedy with British actors.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Christoff posted:

BSG as a whole is a great series...as long as you shut the series finale off after part 2. Seriously, for anyone who hasn't seen Battlestar Galactica yet, don't watch part 3 of the series finale. You'll be quite pleased with the ending given in part 2. I say this only because part 3 wraps everything up in a way that will most likely infuriate you. I've heard from some people who were heavily into the series regretted ever watching it after part 3. Trust me, turn it off after part 2.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FrostedButts posted:

BSG as a whole is a great series...as long as you shut the series finale off after part 2. Seriously, for anyone who hasn't seen Battlestar Galactica yet, don't watch part 3 of the series finale. You'll be quite pleased with the ending given in part 2. I say this only because part 3 wraps everything up in a way that will most likely infuriate you. I've heard from some people who were heavily into the series regretted ever watching it after part 3. Trust me, turn it off after part 2.

Along the same lines, anyone who ever watches "Heroes" will likely be a much happier person if they stop watching right after the Season 1 finale. In this way you can be perfectly satisfied by the show, characters, and conclusion and not get involved in the sorrows that follow.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Never look up its fans, they are the craziest loving people.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Zwabu posted:

Along the same lines, anyone who ever watches "Heroes" will likely be a much happier person if they stop watching right after the Season 1 finale. In this way you can be perfectly satisfied by the show, characters, and conclusion and not get involved in the sorrows that follow.

Right after Buffy's graduation, there are two fantastic episodes they aired in between seasons: one that's mostly silent, and then one where everybody gets involved in a non sequitur-filled communal dream. Best ep of that great final fourth season other than The Gift? That musical they crammed in right before the finale.

On a similar note, boy howdy if Torchwood: Children of Earth wasn't a powerful and affecting series finale. Can't wait to see what stuff Barrowman and Myles do next.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

It's not really a good movie, but I have a soft spot for movies which are willing to try something different. It's about half an hour longer than it needs to be, but there's some neat visual design, and it's probably worth a watch just for Woody Harrelson and Ron Perlman.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Shadley Puffin posted:

On a similar note, boy howdy if Torchwood: Children of Earth wasn't a powerful and affecting series finale. Can't wait to see what stuff Barrowman and Myles do next.

You really should wait - Miracle Day was terrible. And I say this having really liked Children of Earth.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Hewlett posted:

You really should wait - Miracle Day was terrible. And I say this having really liked Children of Earth.

Heh, yeah, I was pretending Miracle Day didn't exist. Managed to get a whole six episodes in before throwing in the towel - what a confusing, janky, maddening mess and a waste of a bunch of good actors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Watch the British Office, Extras, Peep Show, and Flying Circus and then you can comfortably ignore anything else

I am British, but fuuuuuuck. and Little Britain is absolutely one of the top 5 worst British comedy shows ever

edit: three posts below me is correct, Spaced too. And I suppose The League of Gentlemen. but anyway

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 31, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

FrostedButts posted:

Yeah, the ending sucked and the pointless filler around season 3-4 was stupid. But I just had to watch it anyways, y'know? There was SOME good parts in there. The ending will piss you off though. Last few episodes are good, however.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Whoa, just watched the pilot based on your rec and it's damned good. How come I have never heard of or watched this show, what network was it on?

I can only hope hope hope and pray that they sustain anywhere near this level of quality for a decent number of episodes. At least I have optimism for season 1 based on your rec.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Bown posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Watch the British Office, Extras, Peep Show, and Flying Circus and then you can comfortably ignore anything else

I am British, but fuuuuuuck. and Little Britain is absolutely one of the top 5 worst British comedy shows ever

You could probably include Spaced in this list pretty safely, at least if you have any love at all for Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.
But yeah, Little Britain is poo poo.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Zwabu posted:

Whoa, just watched the pilot based on your rec and it's damned good. How come I have never heard of or watched this show, what network was it on?

I can only hope hope hope and pray that they sustain anywhere near this level of quality for a decent number of episodes. At least I have optimism for season 1 based on your rec.

The first five seasons have one big plot and are great. Season 6 and 7 have been shaky but still fun. It is on the CW on Fridays.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Shanty posted:

You could probably include Spaced in this list pretty safely, at least if you have any love at all for Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.
But yeah, Little Britain is poo poo.

In addition to Peep Show, That Mitchell and Webb Look is a fun little British sketch comedy show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Back when Torchwood was added a while ago there was like a week-long period where the Starz (I think) version was a part of it. The newer episodes looked like they would be interesting, but they have since been removed :( The Starz version is called Torchwood: Miracle day and seems to just be a mini like Children of Earth

Supernatural is cool, but over the last few seasons the plot has been brought down by the following chain of events that happens a few times every season:
Dean and Sam are cool (for now)
Dean does something.
Sam doesn't trust Dean.
Dean learns Sam doesn't trust him.
They get mad about it or some poo poo.
Gets resolved, they're cool (for now).
Sam does something.
Dean doesn't trust Sam.
Sam learns dean doesn't trust him.
They get mad about it or some poo poo.
Gets resolved, they're cool (for now).

If you take that poo poo out, its a good show with some pretty cool characters.

Edit: If you like poo poo like Supernatural and Torchwood you might also like:
Warehouse 13
Sanctuary

As an aside: I don't know how the hell my wife likes Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 without not also liking ST:TNG :/ or BSG

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 31, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Bown posted:

Absolutely Fabulous, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, Blackadder, Father Ted, Big Train, and Brasseye are all worthwhile.

EDIT: I like Fresh Meat a lot too.

h_double fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 31, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

FrostedButts posted:

Is this because of the strong religious themes that some fans think came out of nowhere but were really there pretty much from the start? Or from the modern day partI thought the ending was fantastic, even if parts of it were just kind of stating the themes of the show to the viewer at face value.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Bown posted:

edit: three posts below me is correct, Spaced too. And I suppose The League of Gentlemen. but anyway

also Coupling.

And Flying Circus really hasn't aged well.

edit:

Here's a basic guide to British television -

Was it written by Steven Moffat?

YES - watch it.

NO - eh.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Bunch of people forgetting about Darkplace in here. "I looked him in the eye and said: 'This will be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I don't say that lightly.'"

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Trees Lounge

I loved this movie, and had somehow never heard of it. No matter how often I see Steve Buscemi in something, I never cease to be amazed at how ridiculously charming he is, despite looking like a loving gargoyle. He's got a good track record of bedding nubile indie starlets, between this and Ghost World. Lots of fun cameos, from a super game Samuel L. Jackson (who is always a treat when he's given a real role and not the character "Samuel L. Jackson") to Jarmusch regular Rockets Redglare.
Oh gosh, this is expiring! I have to watch it!!!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

penismightier posted:

Bunch of people forgetting about Darkplace in here. "I looked him in the eye and said: 'This will be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I don't say that lightly.'"

"We need to get there before it's too late...and it's 8 PM now."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

penismightier posted:

It's not on Netflix!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fenix down posted:

Oh gosh, this is expiring! I have to watch it!!!

Check out the music video from a great Canadian artist, HAYDEN :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IM_umZumBQ

I loved this guys music growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I need long-distance video movie date kinda material.

Romantic fluff/cute/comedy/romcoms that aren't depressing, basically. I am guy and have no idea about this poo poo. Last movie dates were Senna and Touching the Void.

She wasn't too enthused. Help!

• Locked thread