Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Haledjian posted:

She got away! Look where the stone got knocked out of the side of the well.

Invigorated by the hearty meal, the slaughterfish climbed out of the well and went off to seek its fortune.

You are now the satiated slaughterfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Haledjian posted:

She got away! Look where the stone got knocked out of the side of the well.

Also the blood. Unless the slaughterfish were really shaking her.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I know this is all going to end up loving Katia over in the end; it's sort of the entire idea of the comic. Despite that, though, it would be nice for her to get a friend beyond Quillweave. ASOTIL doesn't quite count, since it's pretty obvious he's, at the very least, insane enough to chase her if he decides she violated the law. Gro-Upp is pretty much being set up to foil Katia endlessly, so that's always looming. This Sigrid thing doesn't sound like it's going to end nicely.

I'd actually like PNHF to travel with Katia a bit, since she actually does seem like a relatively interesting character. Katia having someone to bounce off of helps a lot in my eyes, since it keeps the constant stream of "KATIA YOU ARE BEST PERSON EVER DON'T WORRY THAT YOUR ACTIONS INADVERTENTLY KILLED AN ENTIRE VILLAGE THE INTERNET BELIEVES IN YOU" away, or at least focused more on things for her to do than constant pep talks.

That and the update schedule is really slow for this part of the story, it seems, but that's what you work with I suppose.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kurui Reiten posted:

I know this is all going to end up loving Katia over in the end; it's sort of the entire idea of the comic. Despite that, though, it would be nice for her to get a friend beyond Quillweave. ASOTIL doesn't quite count, since it's pretty obvious he's, at the very least, insane enough to chase her if he decides she violated the law. Gro-Upp is pretty much being set up to foil Katia endlessly, so that's always looming. This Sigrid thing doesn't sound like it's going to end nicely.

I'd actually like PNHF to travel with Katia a bit, since she actually does seem like a relatively interesting character. Katia having someone to bounce off of helps a lot in my eyes, since it keeps the constant stream of "KATIA YOU ARE BEST PERSON EVER DON'T WORRY THAT YOUR ACTIONS INADVERTENTLY KILLED AN ENTIRE VILLAGE THE INTERNET BELIEVES IN YOU" away, or at least focused more on things for her to do than constant pep talks.

That and the update schedule is really slow for this part of the story, it seems, but that's what you work with I suppose.

ASOTIL is a rules lawyer. If Katya is on the wrong side of the law, I think he'll figure out a PERFECTLY LEGAL way to mitigate her troubles, if he wants to help her out.

I'm fully expecting Katya to be stuck in the well but otherwise unharmed, and strike a deal with our perfectly normal friend wherein she gets out of the well in exchange for some hot jelly lickin action.

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame
Perhaps the "perfectly normal" qualities of the human female are contagious under certain circumstances. Like if she becomes friends with her, the normalness might rub off into her? Perhaps we might be following the adventures of the perfectly normal (but sad) catgirl in the near future.

What are katia's opinions on jam?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Burnsaber posted:

Perhaps the "perfectly normal" qualities of the human female are contagious under certain circumstances. Like if she becomes friends with her, the normalness might rub off into her? Perhaps we might be following the adventures of the perfectly normal (but sad) catgirl in the near future.

What are katia's opinions on jam?

Besides two slices of bread and some peanut butter?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I noticed that PNHM's newspaper is dated LS 433. LS presumably stands for "Last Seed," a month in Tamriel's calendar. Oblivion begins on Last Seed 27 in 433, indicating that the death of the emperor and destruction of Kvatch are most likely happening quite soon. As if we needed any more hints :v:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

As if we needed any more hints :v:
Between that, the cultist in the Flash minigame (incidentally, how long did that take Kaz?) and a few other hints, it's pretty obvious when the invasion will begin in the comic. :)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pakled posted:

I noticed that PNHM's newspaper is dated LS 433. LS presumably stands for "Last Seed," a month in Tamriel's calendar. Oblivion begins on Last Seed 27 in 433, indicating that the death of the emperor and destruction of Kvatch are most likely happening quite soon. As if we needed any more hints :v:
We've passed, what three days of time in the comic so far? It could take years for (up to) 26 days or so to pass (presuming Katia is only in prison for like a few hours)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Volmarias posted:

ASOTIL is a rules lawyer. If Katya is on the wrong side of the law, I think he'll figure out a PERFECTLY LEGAL way to mitigate her troubles, if he wants to help her out.

I'm fully expecting Katya to be stuck in the well but otherwise unharmed, and strike a deal with our perfectly normal friend wherein she gets out of the well in exchange for some hot jelly lickin action.

Just as a guess following precedent so far, I'm thinking nothing is gonna get licked off anybody anytime soon in this comic.

Also, predicting since Kazerad didn't find a name for her to be necessary, our Perfectly Normal friend is not going to be a long-term addition to the cast. (Ed: I have no idea how old the 'third century' would make this character, or if Elder Scrolls vampires get stronger as they age, but so far she comes across to me as p. much a normal lady with fangs, so maybe Katia can take her on? Could this be the moment where Katia crosses the threshold to Level 1?)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Piedmon Sama posted:

Just as a guess following precedent so far, I'm thinking nothing is gonna get licked off anybody anytime soon in this comic.

Also, predicting since Kazerad didn't find a name for her to be necessary, our Perfectly Normal friend is not going to be a long-term addition to the cast. (Ed: I have no idea how old the 'third century' would make this character, or if Elder Scrolls vampires get stronger as they age, but so far she comes across to me as p. much a normal lady with fangs, so maybe Katia can take her on? Could this be the moment where Katia crosses the threshold to Level 1?)

Asotil never actually got a name, Katia just eventually started referring to him by the acronym he was usually referenced with and he never corrected her. By that precedent, I'm guessing our perfectly normal human female friend will be named Pnoff.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Piedmon Sama posted:

(Could this be the moment where Katia crosses the threshold to Level 3?)
She was level 1 when the story started and leveled up after managing to survive the Imps in the Aelyd ruin. :)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

radintorov posted:

She was level 1 when the story started and leveled up after managing to survive the Imps in the Aelyd ruin. :)

Oh I see, I know literally nothing about Elder Scrolls. In pen & pencil D&D (3.5) a level 2 character is already a badass and could easily kill a half-dozen normies, so I assumed Katya wasn't even leveled beyond your typical butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Piedmon Sama posted:

Oh I see, I know literally nothing about Elder Scrolls. In pen & pencil D&D (3.5) a level 2 character is already a badass and could easily kill a half-dozen normies, so I assumed Katya wasn't even leveled beyond your typical butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

In elder scrolls every person in the world has a few levels normally, it's far more like DnD 2E, where a PC is just a dude and levels are what make you a badass. Unlike 3.5E where being first level in a PC class already puts you ahead of the common schlubs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Living in the "third century" would make her ~150-200 years old.

The way Vampirism works in Oblivion is the longer one goes without drinking blood, the more "vampire-like" you become, increasingly gaining the good and bad qualities of vampirism. For example, a vampire that's drunk blood within the last 24 hours isn't harmed by the sun and looks completely normal aside from the fangs, but doesn't have very many special abilities, while a vampire that hasn't drunk blood for over 3 days gains all sorts of special abilities at the cost of being hurt a lot by the sun and having a pale grotesque monstrous face.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pakled posted:

Living in the "third century" would make her ~150-200 years old.

The way Vampirism works in Oblivion is the longer one goes without drinking blood, the more "vampire-like" you become, increasingly gaining the good and bad qualities of vampirism. For example, a vampire that's drunk blood within the last 24 hours isn't harmed by the sun and looks completely normal aside from the fangs, but doesn't have very many special abilities, while a vampire that hasn't drunk blood for over 3 days gains all sorts of special abilities at the cost of being hurt a lot by the sun and having a pale grotesque monstrous face.

Yeah, the Cyrodillac vampires were renowned for being able to hide their condition. Here's a transcription of an in game book you can find that talks about it.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Immortal_Blood

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Piedmon Sama posted:

Also, predicting since Kazerad didn't find a name for her to be necessary, our Perfectly Normal friend is not going to be a long-term addition to the cast.

We should try to keep in mind what happened the last time a character got given a name.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

We should try to keep in mind what happened the last time a character got given a name.
Hey now, as Kazerad pointed out that was the players' fault.
That and he was a necromancer who had a threesome with a drunken character and a skeleton. :keke:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the best character ever. Pouring one out for all the dead Necro-homies.

I really would find it sort of refreshing if Katia was dead, but I'll settle for the satisfaction of knowing that at least for a few moments Kazerad probably sat back and idly considered killing her right here and what he'd write if that happened. It's the sort of pause many an authour does whenever they imperil their hero, just stop and consider what they'd do if the peril actually did turn lethal.

Just knowing that Katia's life is that frail and whimsical is satisfaction enough.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
There's a new update, and it looks like PNHF and Katia seem to be getting along

and I couldn't stop laughing

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Good lord, I hope she gets that eye looked at.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

IronSaber posted:

Good lord, I hope she gets that eye looked at.
Luckily she (i.e: the dumbass players that got her into the well in the first place :rolleyes: ) just forgot that she already used her daily Eye of Fear. So she should be ok.
At least she's chipper.

Incidentally, Kazerad, given that you pointed out multiple times the idiocy of jumpinabseiling down there: how much is the whole well fiasco your doing and how much is just going along with the readers' suggestions?
And have you ever played tabletop rpgs, because the way you described how you make the comic reminds me a lot of how game masters are supposed to handle their players?

radintorov fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 4, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The thing about reader suggestions with any reasonably popular endeavour like Prequel is that every possibility is eventually articulated. Unless the users are proposing courses of action and then voting on them, then, the authour ends up basically getting back the freedom to do what they want. It's only really restrictive if the writer really puts some limits on themself, like giving some in particular control of a story element, or forcing themself to use the first suggestion, or holding a vote, or having a small enough reader-base that they only get a few suggestions.

Katia climbing down into the well and using her eye of fear are less the product of reader foolishness (I imagine they made up only a fraction of suggestions) and more a product of Kazerad deciding to go with suggestions that seemed in character, fit the tone of the comic, and would take the story where he wanted it to go.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
I really like the little touch of HF's eyes getting more perfectly normal as she cleans the blood off Katia. Little details like that are pretty neat.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Holy Christ, that first panel with Katia in the well caught me off guard. It looked liked Katia had her eye gouged out!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

With how often Katia bleeds out of the eyes, PNHF should stick around. She'll have plenty of opportunities to... clean... wounds. Perfectly normally.

Slaughterfish are goddamn terrifying when you're not an omnipotent god-being able to bend time and space to your whim.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
As long as no one tells that's it not a officially-accepted medical treatment, sure.

Man, it must have been something really good to make nearly getting eaten slaughterfish worthwhile.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The only reason she can be so happy, and so eager to visit the Mage Guild, is that in her desperation she managed to cast a second spell, making her eligible to join a guild as a full fledged wizard in her own right.

Of course, we don't talk about the Kvatch Mage's Guild, and there has to be a reason for that...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

jng2058 posted:

The only reason she can be so happy, and so eager to visit the Mage Guild, is that in her desperation she managed to cast a second spell, making her eligible to join a guild as a full fledged wizard in her own right.

Of course, we don't talk about the Kvatch Mage's Guild, and there has to be a reason for that...

This is what I think too, either that or she is able to cast her fire-spell at will now. And after all, the protagonist of Oblivion starts out with two spells, so she'll have to learn both sooner or later

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Oh god oh god oh god.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Robo Pope posted:

I really like the little touch of HF's eyes getting more perfectly normal as she cleans the blood off Katia. Little details like that are pretty neat.

Its actually a Vampire thing in Oblivion.

If they don't get blood for a certain amount of time, they become less and less humanlike, going through 4 stages until its fairly obvious they be evil monsters. If they go find blood though, their eyes go back to normal, skin stops being dead tissue, etc etc.

So yes, amazing little details.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Someone remind me, when an Oblivion vampire is at the baseline "just drank" stage, do their eyes actually become normal color again? The way I remember it, while you lack any traits horrible enough that townspeople would refuse to talk to you (like being emaciated and gaunt to the point that your facial structure resembles a chimp's), you still keep the red eyes, along with the slight paleness and fangs.

Also, I have a stupid question I just need to get a definitive answer on: Was Dmitri black/a Redguard?

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also, I have a stupid question I just need to get a definitive answer on: Was Dmitri black/a Redguard?

Yes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What fangs? An ordinary human such
as yourself doesn’t have fangs, silly!
The very thought of such a thing is
preposterous, offensive, and utterly
unsubstantiated.

I might grab this, but if anyone else wants it it's up for grabs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Soral already has it - last page.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Figure out how to make her throwing the jam into avatar size.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wellp, it's a good thing I decided to post it here before picking it up. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I would, Eysiume, but I don't know how to do gifs.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Here's two versions of that jam throwing part if anyone wants them.

e: They're actually pretty aliased, if anyone wants them with the background let me know.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 7, 2012

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

radintorov posted:

Incidentally, Kazerad, given that you pointed out multiple times the idiocy of jumpinabseiling down there: how much is the whole well fiasco your doing and how much is just going along with the readers' suggestions?
And have you ever played tabletop rpgs, because the way you described how you make the comic reminds me a lot of how game masters are supposed to handle their players?
I just did a straight up tally for whether or not to jump her down the well. If majority opinion was not to go down the well, she would've walked away. Which wouldn't have bothered me that much; going into any situation I usually have a pretty good idea how each outcome is going to turn out, just not which one will be used. Each option also has longer-stretching ramifications, too - for instance, Eye of Fear is out of the window for the time being, but something good apparently happened too? (Tune in next episode to find out what!)

As for tabletop RPGs, I've played a little bit but never really got into it. I've done a lot of research on them, though; much of the literature about pen and paper games is very applicable to other mediums as well.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Someone remind me, when an Oblivion vampire is at the baseline "just drank" stage, do their eyes actually become normal color again? The way I remember it, while you lack any traits horrible enough that townspeople would refuse to talk to you (like being emaciated and gaunt to the point that your facial structure resembles a chimp's), you still keep the red eyes, along with the slight paleness and fangs.
I used a little bit of artistic license there. The idea behind Cyrodiilic vampires is that they are supposed to be passable as normal when they are fully fed, and that was the main thing I wanted to capture here. While the game itself does have a few "covert vampires" who appear with normal, you're correct that the player's eyes are always pink.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

My canon here is that he's redguard/breton mix, but that will probably never matter at all.

edit: woah woah woah, I totally just got my first Tumblr ragequit today guys! For railroading, I guess. I will frame it on my achievements board.

editedit: wait, I got overexcited. On further inspection, I'm not sure if he was a regular reader or someone going through the archive for the first time. Time to find out.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hey Sindow is that a panel from the strip? If not, where'd it come from?

• Locked thread