Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Whoa, just watched the pilot based on your rec and it's damned good. How come I have never heard of or watched this show, what network was it on?

I can only hope hope hope and pray that they sustain anywhere near this level of quality for a decent number of episodes. At least I have optimism for season 1 based on your rec.

It was on CW, which was the main reason I originally blew it off as some angsty teen supernatural soap opera. Based on the recommendations of this thread I'm about 8 episodes in and it's pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Just Another XY posted:

I need long-distance video movie date kinda material.

Romantic fluff/cute/comedy/romcoms that aren't depressing, basically. I am guy and have no idea about this poo poo. Last movie dates were Senna and Touching the Void.

She wasn't too enthused. Help!

Watch TiMER

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Just Another XY posted:

Romantic fluff/cute/comedy/romcoms that aren't depressing, basically. I am guy and have no idea about this poo poo. Last movie dates were Senna and Touching the Void.

Absolutely watch Adventures of Power.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

penismightier posted:

Bunch of people forgetting about Darkplace in here. "I looked him in the eye and said: 'This will be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I don't say that lightly.'"

"I'm one of the few people I know, who've written more books than they've read."

also:

"My books are all about what ifs. Like in my novel Black Fang, I asked 'What if a bunch of london city sewer rats grew to human size and took over a city bus?'"

God I wish Darkplaces was on Netflix. I got my friends to believe it was entirely serious up to the part where Dag smashes the guy's still alive head with the shovel.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

God I wish Darkplaces was on Netflix. I got my friends to believe it was entirely serious up to the part where Dag smashes the guy's still alive head with the shovel.

I could've sworn it was. Did it used to be and they took it off, or am I just totally hosed here?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

penismightier posted:

I could've sworn it was. Did it used to be and they took it off, or am I just totally hosed here?

I just searched for it and didn't see it, I don't remember it ever being on there.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Just Another XY posted:

The Gold Rush
My Man Godfrey
The Lady Eve
The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)
Monkey Business (1952)
Charade
Edward Scissorhands
Tangled
Toy Story 3

And there's always Arrested Development.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just Another XY posted:

Roxanne, or The Graduate, might fit the bill depending on her sense of humor. Some indication of what kind of films she likes would be helpful.

Lots of good ones are off streaming right now like The Princess Bride.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just wanted to point out: Kill the Irishman is out on Instant. It was a film from last year starring Ray Stevenson, it's a based-on-real-life story of a 1970s Cleveland mobster. I dug it quite a bit and Stevenson is great it in it.

Linda Cardellini from Freaks and Geeks is in it, Val Kilmer is in it too but he doesn't really do much.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Just Another XY posted:

Outsourced (movie, not tv show)
Bread and Tulips
Monsoon Wedding

edit:

fenix down posted:

The Gold Rush
Toy Story 3

And there's always Arrested Development.

These aren't really what I'd call romantic comedies.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Just Another XY posted:

If she's anything like my ex, that friends with benefits one with Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman is out on instant now I believe. I cringed typing that out

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just Another XY posted:

Definitely Mao's last dancer

I posted about it before and no one else has mentioned it. It's a great foreign flick. I suggest everyone see it. I'm 95% sure it got me laid that night, too. Saw it on a whim at a theater that shows independent/foreign films. Not sure why it's not more popular in America. Probably because it's an Australian made movie (i think?)

-yep

quote:

Mao's Last Dancer is a 2009 Australian biographical film, directed by Bruce Beresford, based on ballet dancer Li Cunxin's autobiography Mao's Last Dancer. Li Cunxin is portrayed by Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal Dancer Chi Cao (simplified Chinese: 曹驰; traditional Chinese: 曹馳; pinyin: Cáo Chí), Australian Ballet dancer Chengwu Guo (Chinese: 郭承武; pinyin: Guō Chéngwǔ) and Huang Wen Bin. The film also stars Bruce Greenwood, Kyle MacLachlan, Joan Chen, Wang Shuangbao and Amanda Schull.[1]
The film premiered on 13 September 2009, at the Toronto International Film Festival.[2][3] General release in Australia and New Zealand began on 1 October 2009. It began screening in the United States on 33 screens in August 2010.[4]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZjaxrnlPc

It's not as dramatic as the beginning of the trailer makes it out to be.

In conclusion if you're looking for a weekday date movie hit this one up.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 31, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Just Another XY posted:

Give Strictly Ballroom a go.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Just Another XY posted:

Maybe Romancing the Stone?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It'd be hard to go wrong with Charade, unless she hates old movies or something.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It'd be hard to go wrong with Charade, unless she hates old movies or something.

Does she like Hitchcock? It's not an actual Hitchcock film but it's been called "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made." If she likes those kinds of movies it's the perfect choice.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

Lately I've been feeling weirdly depressed and need cheering up, can y'all recommend me something clever and light-hearted as gently caress? I've been into Truffaut comedies (Stolen Kisses, The Man Who Loved Women) and Woody Allen (just finished re-watching Annie Hall), so I'm especially interested in stuff along similar lines as these - sweet, hilarious, 60s/70s - but I am open to anything that is witty and not too tragic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

afgrunden posted:

Lately I've been feeling weirdly depressed and need cheering up, can y'all recommend me something clever and light-hearted as gently caress? I've been into Truffaut comedies (Stolen Kisses, The Man Who Loved Women) and Woody Allen (just finished re-watching Annie Hall), so I'm especially interested in stuff along similar lines as these - sweet, hilarious, 60s/70s - but I am open to anything that is witty and not too tragic.

How about Harold and Maude. It might be what you are looking for, if it hits you in the right way. The light-heartedness is there, definitely.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

afgrunden posted:

Parks and Recreations. Seriously. It's god drat hilarious, and will put a warm smile on your face and will melt your heart when it wants to.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

afgrunden posted:

For more French new wave Godard's A Woman is a Woman is pretty light hearted and funny.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

maxnmona posted:

These aren't really what I'd call romantic comedies.
I will fight you! Gold Rush has a romance subplot, and Toy Story, as everyone knows, is about a manchild having a romance with his toys.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I just watched Ip Man last night, and it was awesome. I haven't watched many of this type of movie, can anyone recommend anything in the same vein?

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Zubumafoo posted:

I just watched Ip Man last night, and it was awesome. I haven't watched many of this type of movie, can anyone recommend anything in the same vein?

If you mean embellished biographical Kung-Fu epics, then Jet Li's Fearless should fit the bill.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eggplant Ronin posted:

If you mean embellished biographical Kung-Fu epics, then Jet Li's Fearless should fit the bill.

I don't think it necessarily has to be embellished or biographical. Hell, I didn't know Ip Man was a real person until the end of the movie.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Addendum to the "aint much good british teevee?" discussion from a couple pages ago: the how-the-hell-did-this-ever-air Snuff Box is now up on streaming. Matt Berry from Boosh/Darkplace/IT Crowd and Boosh's Rich Fulcher do 1/2 sketch show, 1/2 sitcom, 100% madness.

Berry + keytar + Old Grey Whistle Test parody + Richard Ayoade = genius.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Zubumafoo posted:

I haven't seen too much of these types of movies either, but I gave The Man From Nowhere a shot based on this thread and really enjoyed it.

Also, thank you thread for recommending The Vicious Kind and Party Down. I just started Party Down, but I'm loving it so far.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
The Good, The Bad, The Weird is a Korean Western and one of the most purely entertaining popcorn movies I've seen in years. You don't need to be a Western buff (I'm not) to like it, it works pretty well as a straight up action/adventure.

Oddly, it comes from Kim Ji-woon, director of the (nightmarish) A Tale of Two Sisters and (brutal, disturbing) I Saw the Devil.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If you like stylish 70's horror movies, and you like kick-rear end, bombastic soundtracks, give Deep Red a try.

If you've seen any of director Dario Argento's recent work...think the opposite of that. In other words, great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zubumafoo posted:

Might be slightly obvious, and I haven't actually seen it yet, but there's Ip Man 2 on streaming as well. And I second Fearless.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Shadley Puffin posted:

Addendum to the "aint much good british teevee?" discussion from a couple pages ago: the how-the-hell-did-this-ever-air Snuff Box is now up on streaming. Matt Berry from Boosh/Darkplace/IT Crowd and Boosh's Rich Fulcher do 1/2 sketch show, 1/2 sitcom, 100% madness.

Berry + keytar + Old Grey Whistle Test parody + Richard Ayoade = genius.
This is fantastic news. It's one of those series that took a week or so of settling in my brain to realize how hilarious it is. As I recall, the first episode is a little weak, but I'll revisit it for sure.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just saw BRONSON and was entertained as hell.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The Man From Nowhere owns really loving hard and everyone should watch it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just Another XY posted:

Try Return to Me with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver. Sappy but funny rom-com about a guy who loses his wife only to meet the woman who received her heart in a transplant. You might find it depressing, I didn't. They do pull the whole bittersweet string pretty hard though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

"The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" is up now. If you like Jodie Foster at all (in an early role here as a mysterious adolescent girl with a secret, she's easily the best thing in the film and amazing talent evident even early on here) and Martin Sheen as a creepy pedophile, see this movie which I think is excellent.

Not a good movie for the guy looking for rom/com date fluff though!

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Both Triangle and Timecrimes are on instant now. They make a really decent time travel slasher double-feature.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zwabu posted:

"The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" is up now. If you like Jodie Foster at all (in an early role here as a mysterious adolescent girl with a secret, she's easily the best thing in the film and amazing talent evident even early on here) and Martin Sheen as a creepy pedophile, see this movie which I think is excellent.

Not a good movie for the guy looking for rom/com date fluff though!

That one used to air on that weird over-the-air digital channel that only plays MGM movies pre-1999, THIS!TV, I think it's called. It's pretty good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

foodfight posted:

Both Triangle and Timecrimes are on instant now. They make a really decent time travel slasher double-feature.

Thanks for sharing this, I've been meaning to catch both of these!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Wow, this was a really lovely month for new Instant Watch additions.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I will recommend The Baby's Room as a pretty decent Spanish horror flick. It uses the "the house is cursed" formula that has been done a thousand times, but pulls it off pretty well with some clever ideas. It is really short at 74 minutes, I think, but I found the pacing to be so well done that I didn't even notice. I got pretty involved in the story and it seemed much more fleshed-out and meaty than a film that short often ends up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

foodfight posted:

If you haven't seen these, and you like time travel, watch them both ASAP. They're both extremely clever, but I think I prefer Triangle. I just re-watched Timecrimes the other day and had a craving for Triangle, so I'm glad to know that one is back up. It's utterly brilliant, in my opinion.

• Locked thread