Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
So glad this thread is still around.

Here's my CalArts Character Animation portfolio I sent last week...

Life Drawing

Supplemental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
More preview of my upcoming animation. It's surprisingly fun to animate a tantrum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66YGyJj37I

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Well here is a game preview done in Flash. My question is, how is the animation? Most of the basic animations (blocks breaking, punches, walking) here will probably reflect how my friend and I animate in Flash cartoons from now on if they work, or if not, they'll at least give us a place to improve. :)

Kikka posted:

More preview of my upcoming animation. It's surprisingly fun to animate a tantrum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I66YGyJj37I
This is brilliant. My only gripe is a small one, and that would be to colour the stars and lightning and stuff - just gives a nice touch.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 12, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

korusan posted:

Well here is a game preview done in Flash. My question is, how is the animation? Most of the basic animations (blocks breaking, punches, walking) here will probably reflect how my friend and I animate in Flash cartoons from now on if they work, or if not, they'll at least give us a place to improve. :)
When he lands, there's no weight to it, the character stiffly lands and keeps moving. A frame where (he's still moving, but has bent knees) would help the flow. Same with his attacks, the arm or leg just jut out. A frame of wind up (again, no reason for a gameplay delay, the attack can still start) would help it look a bit more natural.

Imagine you're playing putt putt golf, and all you can do is move the putter forwards without the wind up of pulling back a bit. That's how I liken the animation, right now.

(Upon further review, I think I might have seen a little wind up (one frame or so), but that may just be my mind trying to fill in the blanks. There needs to be a little bit more weight put into it. One frame before that that has the character rear back would make the punch seem like it's stronger) The running animation is good. As for the crumpling walls, if the Hulk punched a wall, debris would go flying in the direction of the punch, not just crumple. Videogames thrive on exaggeration (see humans exploding just from bullets in Contra, etc.)

Sorry if this all sounded negative; all in all, it could stand a little polish, but looks good.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 12, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I never considered the part about the walls and now that I do breaking poo poo will be 50% more awesome.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

You could go nuts and make the debris hurt enemies on the other side, but now I'm just spit balling.

Speaking of video game enemies on the other side of walls, I made a thing... again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtb8YzvsM8U

I'm really pleased with how the special effects and facial expressions came out in this one.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

You could go nuts and make the debris hurt enemies on the other side, but now I'm just spit balling.

Speaking of video game enemies on the other side of walls, I made a thing... again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtb8YzvsM8U

I'm really pleased with how the special effects and facial expressions came out in this one.

That was actually really cool man, only complaint is the shifty eyes kind of looked odd with the 16-bit style (though I'm not sure on how to fix that).

The punchline was good with Ms. Pacman. Props!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

korusan posted:

That was actually really cool man, only complaint is the shifty eyes kind of looked odd with the 16-bit style (though I'm not sure on how to fix that).

The punchline was good with Ms. Pacman. Props!

Shifty eyes when? The start where Chris and Keiko look at each other to the background music, or the part where Mike propositions Ms. Pacman?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
So now you can take a great FX animation course from Adam Phillips for $25AU/mo.
I just signed up and did the first exercise, and I like the way it's planned and spaced so as to 1) not overwhelm you, and 2) encourage you to actually practice the techniques in each lesson before moving on to the next.

Exercise 1) Lightning

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

neonnoodle posted:

Exercise 1) Lightning

Looking good! I think you should try to avoid fan shapes though, lightning bolts tend to be animated as straight, very sharp bolts, which gives them a subconsciously dangerous feeling.

Also, I was thinking of trying puppet animation. Where should I start off?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Kikka posted:

Also, I was thinking of trying puppet animation. Where should I start off?

http://www.homestarrunner.com/puppetmation.html

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Still looks a bit unpolished but I'm getting there woop woop :)
http://youtu.be/WnKqj3rotTs

Feedback appreciated where to add extra frames and stuff >_>

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Imaginary Friend posted:

Still looks a bit unpolished but I'm getting there woop woop :)
http://youtu.be/WnKqj3rotTs

Feedback appreciated where to add extra frames and stuff >_>

Can you please loop things like this a few times when you render them? It's really hard to replay the way YouTube is set up.

Issue #1 that I can see: things don't fall in diagonal lines. Unless your character is supposed to be hovering and not affected by gravity at all, he's going to fall in an arc, and jump away in an arc. That means that basic ball-bounce physics are in play: namely, more drawings when the falling object is at the top of its arc, fewer as it accelerates, fewer as it bounces off the ground because it's still going fast, and then more drawings as it "slows in" to the top of the bounce.

When he hits the ground, hold for a couple frames before initiating the "takeoff." Also, you don't have enough anticipation before the takeoff, not enough coiled-up-spring kind of action to make the jump explosive. Again, if he's flying or hovering, then those physics-based aspects don't apply as much.

I tried to make an example showing how I would approach this, but since I'm not sure about the intention of your character (he seems like a strong or superhero type, so maybe he flies more than jumps), but hopefully this will still be relevant:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Thanks so much for the feedback, also your animation is pretty much the difference between an amateur and a pro haha :)

The character I had in mind is pretty much a superhero-fairy-dwarf-guy so I guess I managed to make something right at least, but I noticed that the "ball-bounce-effect" makes it look so much better. I'll try to make him "squash" into the ground more at impact and make the takeoff faster.. and the arc-fall obviously (which I, until now, don't understand how I didn't notice).

Thanks again, this is exactly the kind of feedback I needed :)

edit2
Tried to apply the tips but it feels like some of the sillyness somehow disappeared in the jump. Probably need more frames for when he turns around after the takeoff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66s9Lm8tU8&context=C35a1b27ADOEgsToPDskLnICQjhHyWLioD_FmH9Kft

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 29, 2012

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
It could use some stretch and squash too. That big round form is just calling for it.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Yeah I'm thinking of giving the character less control over the landing so he pretty much bounces off the ground in chaotic despair instead of using his legs and arms.

But I'm unsure if it fits the fat-fairy kind of idea I had in mind, you know, like "graceful, hypnotic movement" kind of haha.

edit
here's a sketch of the dude if anyone's interested btw >_>

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2012

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
Just finished my first Stop Motion. I've worked on it off and on for over a year, putting it down for a while and picking it back up. It's pretty rough but I'm happy with how it came out. Feedback appreciated, thanks!

Baby's First Stop Motion

Made in Windows Moviemaker and CS3

Rogetz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 30, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rogetz posted:

Just finished my first Stop Motion. I've worked on it off and on for over a year, putting it down for a while and picking it back up. It's pretty rough but I'm happy with how it came out. Feedback appreciated, thanks!

As someone who has also spent hours bent over a set animating, I would suggest you either get a remote shutter release, or else use the self-timer on your camera. That way you'll get rid of that shake in the video, or at least reduce it.
My friend wrote some custom software to de-shake our footage at one point, but you can't compare against not shaking it to begin with.

You could also look into locking the white balance and aperture so you don't get the shifts in colour and lighting balance, but then we get into the realms of never filming with natural light (the sun moves around and clouds obscure it etc) and so on.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I've been trying to work on more fundamentals exercises. I learned a lot from this:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
I haven't done a 4-legged run since 2nd year of college (5 years ago), but I took a crack at it for a project I'm working on. It's sorta based on the monster from "The Host." Would like critiques before I clean it up.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Right now the character is looking extremely big and heavy (very effective!), but a side consequence of that is that the run is very slow. In fact, it's not a "true" run, it's more of a canter, because at no time do all four feet leave the ground. It's a fantastic cycle all around, but depending on the speed/power you're going for, it could be pushed further.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I haven't done a 4-legged run since 2nd year of college (5 years ago), but I took a crack at it for a project I'm working on. It's sorta based on the monster from "The Host." Would like critiques before I clean it up.

I like the wave-like motion and I think it works overall. The only things I see are:
-The tip of the tail is moving a little weird, like it's not really moving as a continuation of the butt.
-The head is really big but it doesn't have much impact when the front legs land on the floor. I think it should have a more violent movement when it goes down. Not necessarily more extreme, just faster.
-Add some secondary motion on the jaw so the head doesn't look so stiff
-Same thing with that little arm or whatever it is in the middle.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Uncle Jenkins posted:

This is so mesmerizing :O

Almost done with opening theme! Needs more colorful scarfes still though.. and maybe.. more explosions?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38OdbL9TsLY

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 1, 2012

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Appreciate the feedback, I'll try to fix as many of those issues as I can. Here's another scene from the same project... any thoughts? This is more complex stuff than I'm used to.

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 8, 2012

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
Here's a couple of stop motons I did:

The first one I did as a part of my final piece on my Art Foundation a few years ago

http://youtu.be/a6mmtp2rJE0

The second one was my experimental project in my first year of Uni (do filmmaking)

http://youtu.be/bwF5I-Bqtrg

Those look fantastic Uncle Jenkins

Feats of Strength fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 9, 2012

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My animation thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm8XGDOdH5g

Here's the original trailer I'm lifting from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0XTBSjrKI

I'm flying blind here. I'm trying to mock up a motion-graphic experience -- basically picking up images from a movie trailer, cutting them into layers to get that 3D depth-of-field thing going as a slow-motion background while a paused video clip appears in the foreground, AND add some text. When/if the video is played, the background animation will stop or just hold in place.

Basically, creating an animated advertisement.

I'm building the mockup in After Effects, but the final execution will have to be done using html, javascript etc because it's going to be on the iPad, and the animated backgrounds will pretty much just be sliding around transparent images to simulate that 3D look.

SOME of the pieces, I like. Some of them go on for too long.

The goal is to have some motion, but not a lot because the background should be just that - the background. There'll be a lot more text/details/info in the foreground, along with movie clips.

Help. It seems like an easy thing to knock out but I feel like the whole thing just lacks something.

edit:
Specific Questions:

1. Do you think I should keep each vignette locked at 15 seconds?
2. Should there be more movement in the background animations? Less?

I'm still working on this - going to add a paragraph of text to help illustrate the concept.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 13, 2012

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Appreciate the feedback, I'll try to fix as many of those issues as I can. Here's another scene from the same project... any thoughts? This is more complex stuff than I'm used to.

I really like this. Animation is very fluid, and the tiny bit of red when the neck snap happens is a nice touch, intentional or not (guessing it's a placeholder though).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Got bored last night and made a thing. The Princess Bratwurst. I'm not an animator in any sense of the word but it was kind of fun to make.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Sometimes it's just really fun to do bouncing ball animations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I had to make so many bouncing balls during college that I ended up hating them. At least 8 of them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So there's an animation workshop masterclass going on this summer at my school by a massive legendary animation hero of mine - I really want to attend it as it means I'll improve drastically as an animation artist, and it means I will be able to get hired pretty easily coming out of it. It's basically going to be an art boot camp where we'll be making a fully fledged actual real good high quality 2D feature style animated film that can be shown in festivals and such. It will be a ton of hard work - which I am counting on - and it means I'll come out of it as a rock solid animator.

Here's some work I made last semester. I'm trying to master classical feature animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xciYPcZ7U

The only trouble is I need to raise money for the tuition (which is $2000) and rent/food costs as I continually am working on building my animation portfolio. I need to try to do it in the next few months if possible.

Anyway, I had this idea and ran it by the CC moderator Pipes! who thought it was a cool idea - that I start an SA-mart business here of creating custom made animations of SA forums users to raise the money I need to finally achieve my lifelong dream.

Basically I was thinking of taking short 3-11 second live-action video files that people make of themselves or their friends doing something silly (such as walks, gags, speaking, dancing, etc) and then doing cartoon animated versions of them. Mostly a lot of smaller rapid fire cartoon gags and actions, and maybe some dialogue and other things mixed in. I'd also be charging more for cleanup and colored stuff.

The people who bought my animation would also basically be helping me by giving me the opportunity to build my portfolio while raising the funds I need. I'd also be getting a lot more experience animating things I haven't tried before. The more animation I do the better I get, simple as that.

So anyway, I haven't yet started the business or the SA mart thread as I'm unsure what to charge, and don't really have any experience with selling my work online. I started a paypal account today in preparation for it, but I'd like to do this right and work out what would be a good fair price that would help me reach my goals. If anyone would be willing to help me out on advice on running paypal or what I should probably charge, I'm all ears.

When I'm ready with everything I'll make an SA mart thread and an ad banner for it. I'd also likely want to find you if there are people who would be interested buying stuff from me first before I do go ahead with it. I might even see if someone is willing to let me do a trial run just so I can work out the time/effort costs.

On an unrelated note, here's a first pass block-in I did yesterday for a thing I'm currently working on for a CG class I'm in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6y0-tNNUs
The hands/fingers aren't posed yet and the face isn't going to be really touched till the next pass.

Feel free to give critique on that by the way. I'm new to maya and CG and trying to translate my 2d knowledge to the program, while also building on my animation skills.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 27, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Experimenting with a cintiq and animating in photoshop. Here's a little 15 minute warm up I made to try it. Nothing special about this jog - I just wanted to see how this would work and get groovy or whatever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Cleaned up the animation on my "Host" monster cycle. Holy hell, toughest thing I've ever animated. His head is redrawn in every frame, although traced over a copy+pasted template.

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 2, 2012

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
That is absolutely fantastic, you did an amazing job! I love the little vestigial arms, it really looks like they're trying to help out in the lope.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Friend and I finished our first standalone cartoon featuring my character, Monocle Ape. Folks on here might remember the Christmas thing I posted a while back featuring the Ape. We're going to be doing a series so any feedback on this "pilot" episode (re: the humour, animation style, etc...) is much appreciated. :)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Some stuffs.

Cleanup model prelim for my film.

Practice Drawings of Genie and Bugs Bunny.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Made this today. :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKkH_NQ3RA

The robot is going to have an animated 2-d head. Also there's going to be dust/rubble animated in crumbling as he goes through the wall.

damaya
Mar 5, 2008
Here's a very limited piece I made in December and just finally got around to touching up. Of course there's quite a bit I don't like about it, but I had a lot of fun. I traced frames in Photoshop and assembled it in Final Cut, which was probably a mistake. I couldn't easily figure out how to copy and paste background elements to individual frames in Photoshop, so some of my embellished 'props' are pretty rough... you'll see what I mean. I haven't used Flash before, but would it be a wise choice for my next attempt at rotoscoping?

I haven't done any proper animation before, but have been pulling a lot of inspiration from following this thread. There will definitely be more in the future... next time I will be trying for something less "Tom Goes to the Mayor" and more in the direction of A Family Portrait.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Wish it was more exaggerated, like have his neck twist way more. Unfortunately with deadline approaching rapidly, I gotta live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I made another thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP7tRhIi47s

Really proud of the montage after the opening credits. Everything after that is really just talking heads. There is a lengthy fight sequence plotted for the next episode, (basically my homage to Samurai Jack). This episode took 2 months to make, rather than 5 weeks, so I may be pulling my hair out before the release of episode 7...