Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muken
Oct 21, 2009
Country/Provider: UK, Probably GiffGaff

Current contract status: None, O2 contract ended.

Budget (phone/plan): Going for the £15 quid a month rolling monthly contract on GiffGaff (400 minutes, unlimited texts/internet). GiffGaff uses the O2 network, so it will need to be unlocked or use that network. Looking to spend no more that a hundred quid.

Basically, I'm trying to sort out a ladyfriendperson with a smartphone because her dumbphone contract has just ended. Second hand would be preferable as you can get more for your money, so mainly looking for advice as to what last gen phones are worth looking out for.

Android would be preferable, as that is what I have been using, but would happily go for a bargain iPhone or Windows phone if they are recommended.

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Staggy posted:

Country/Provider: UK/Don't care

Current contract status: Nonexistant!

Budget (phone/plan): About £25/month, £30/month at the most. Not sure about one-off payments - depends on the £/month and the phone.

Features I know I want:
- Customizable
- Android
- Touch Screen
- A battery that will last a day of reasonable usage - it'll just go on charge overnight anyway.
- Support for ICS? Not sure how important this is.
- Not bothered about physical buttons.

Basically, I've had a second-hand, pay-as-you-go iPhone 3g for the past two and a half years. But it burns through credit if you try and go online, and I end up shoving about £20 a month onto it anyway. In the past few months it's run worse and worse, and tonight the home button finally gave up the ghost, meaning I have to turn it off and on again if I want to change applications, etc.

The Galaxy Nexus looks nice, but pricey. I guess I'm looking for something a rung or two down from that?

No idea how plans work in the UK, but the galaxy nexus: s worth saving up an extra month to get. If you really can't swing it the nexus s is the next best bet in general.

Muken posted:

Country/Provider: UK, Probably GiffGaff

Current contract status: None, O2 contract ended.

Budget (phone/plan): Going for the £15 quid a month rolling monthly contract on GiffGaff (400 minutes, unlimited texts/internet). GiffGaff uses the O2 network, so it will need to be unlocked or use that network. Looking to spend no more that a hundred quid.

Basically, I'm trying to sort out a ladyfriendperson with a smartphone because her dumbphone contract has just ended. Second hand would be preferable as you can get more for your money, so mainly looking for advice as to what last gen phones are worth looking out for.

Android would be preferable, as that is what I have been using, but would happily go for a bargain iPhone or Windows phone if they are recommended.

Cheers.

If you can get a nexus s 2nd hand that would be the best Android phone. Honestly, windows phone works great and the nice thing is most of them are around the same quality, so if you find a good deal on one its probably a good idea (always double check). IPhones tend to be expensive used.

Whether to get android, windows or iPhone is a matter of preference. Android is a great choice but the devices are very hit or miss, so make sure you get the right one.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 27, 2012

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Country/Provider: USA T-mobile

Current contract status: I'm currently on contract with my Mom, my sister, and my brother. We currently all have android phones. We're currently paying around $200 per month for four people, each having their own data plan, ultimate texting, and 1100 minutes. We don't even use that many minutes so we want to lower that.

Budget (phone/plan): ~$200. We don't use that many minutes and data since we're either texting each other or we're near wifi.

Features I know I want: I'm set to upgrade in a bit. What are some good Android phones for T-mobile that are root-able? I currently have the Cliq XT so nearly every phone seems like a better phone. Support for ICS is a plus and good battery life is a must. I've been looking at the Nexus S so something around there I guess.

Is there any good family deals for us? My mom is really hoping to bring that down to $180 per month.

Muken
Oct 21, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Stuff.

Cheers man, but having checked ebay the Nexus S seems to be going for much closer to £200. Someone on Gumtree is selling a HTC Desire for £100 which seems pretty decent. Any opinions?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ok, Quick question.

I have a galaxy s, and have the opportunity to get a new phone for free. My choice comes down to Galaxy nexus, sII, Htc velocity 4g, Evo 3d, Experia arc s.

Any idea what to get and why?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

i like tacos posted:

Is there any good family deals for us? My mom is really hoping to bring that down to $180 per month.
Check out T-Mobile's Value plans. Now, they're a little unusual. They require a two-year contract but you do not get a device subsidy, so you can (and have to) purchase phones either used or at retail price at your leisure. The upside, however, is that they're dirt cheap.

A four line, 1000 minute plan with unlimited SMS and 2 GB data (for each line) is $110/mo.

As for phones, a used Nexus S (make sure it's the GT-I9020T model) is probably your best bet. The Galaxy Nexus is the top-of-the-line phone also worth considering, but it's not sold domestically in the GSM/UMTS variant yet, so you'd have to wait a bit longer. The European import model works on T-Mobile fine, but it's expensive ($600-700).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iajanus posted:

Any idea what to get and why?
Get the Galaxy Nexus. It's the best phone of the bunch, runs ICS, gets software updates from Google, and is going to have better longevity than any of the other devices.

The only reason not to get the Galaxy Nexus is that it doesn't have a micro-SD slot, so you're limited to the amount of on-board storage it comes with. Its camera is also somewhat lame. Passable for sure, but it's kind of lovely for a high-end phone and it's Achilles heel.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

I figure this is the best place to ask- does anyone have a recommendation for a generic screen protector large enough that I can custom cut it to fit my Nexus S? I keep winding up with screens that don't quite fit the whole front of the phone, and the tolerances of the precut screens are too much for my taste.

I didn't think it would be so hard to find a plastic sheet but everywhere I go is glutted with iphone precut protectors and I can't manage to separate what I want from what they're trying to sell me.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

If you like the material that Zagg/BestSkinsEver are made out of, they'll hook you up pretty cheap.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Tmobile prepaid 4g

I've been on vm for years but I want a new phone and they have been sucking on that front, plus they're going to start throttling at 2.5 gb so it's time to switch.

What I would like to get is a 4G capable phone that works with the plan, with a keyboard (unless there's some super thin phone without one) and a screen no larger than about 4.2 inches. Dual core would be great, and a fancy amoled screen or whatever the new thing is would be cool too. I'm looking to spend around $400 at the most. I don't mind buying used but would prefer to get something new.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I don't have a contract or care what provider I use. I just want my monthly payments to be cheap (no more than $60). I'm currently using a Samsung Messager II on a $40/mo plan with MetroPCS, so I'm kind of lost when it comes to smartphones.

I'm thinking of getting a new (Android) phone for two reasons. The main one is that I want to try developing some mobile development, since that looks like fun. I guess that means it needs to be rootable. The secondary one is that I can't actually use my phone when I'm at home, because I live out in the boonies and don't get a signal here unless I stand outside and pray.

It seems that I can get T-Mobile 3G at my home, though their non-data coverage of my area seems similar to MetroPCS. I'm under the impression that T-Mobile's Wifi-calling, would make it easy for me to talk and text when I am at home, so I'm leaning toward T-Mobile, but they don't seem to have a large selection of compatible phones:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phones

Also, I'm not even sure how to choose which phone would be suitable. App development is app development, no matter which phone I use, right? Or are there features which may be particularly helpful? The only phone-specific feature I really want is long battery life. I am usually out of the house for over twelve hours each weekday, and I don't want to be without a working phone during that time. Whenever I'm not driving or shopping, though, I have access to a wifi network, so it doesn't really matter that a phone be LTE/4G compatible.

Since they're a GSM carrier, can I just buy some cheap, used Android phone on Amazon and sign up? Considering what I'm looking for, does grabbing the cheapest phone I can find seem like a bad idea?

It's not that I'm unwilling to go for a more expensive phone, I just don't really understand why I would want to. I'd be comfortable spending up to $200, and kind of grudgingly willing to spend around $300 if I thought it would really make a difference. If not, then I'm not sure that I would be hurt by looking for something similar to MetroPCS's $59 Samsung Admire. Either way, I'll probably keep the phone for a couple of years, which makes me lean toward spending more.

I saw the prepaid thread, but I'm under the impression that none of the prepaid carriers have decent reception in my area.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Safe and Secure! posted:

I don't have a contract or care what provider I use. I just want my monthly payments to be cheap (no more than $60). I'm currently using a Samsung Messager II on a $40/mo plan with MetroPCS, so I'm kind of lost when it comes to smartphones.

I'm thinking of getting a new (Android) phone for two reasons. The main one is that I want to try developing some mobile development, since that looks like fun. I guess that means it needs to be rootable. The secondary one is that I can't actually use my phone when I'm at home, because I live out in the boonies and don't get a signal here unless I stand outside and pray.

It seems that I can get T-Mobile 3G at my home, though their non-data coverage of my area seems similar to MetroPCS. I'm under the impression that T-Mobile's Wifi-calling, would make it easy for me to talk and text when I am at home, so I'm leaning toward T-Mobile, but they don't seem to have a large selection of compatible phones:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phones

Also, I'm not even sure how to choose which phone would be suitable. App development is app development, no matter which phone I use, right? Or are there features which may be particularly helpful? The only phone-specific feature I really want is long battery life. I am usually out of the house for over twelve hours each weekday, and I don't want to be without a working phone during that time. Whenever I'm not driving or shopping, though, I have access to a wifi network, so it doesn't really matter that a phone be LTE/4G compatible.

Since they're a GSM carrier, can I just buy some cheap, used Android phone on Amazon and sign up? Considering what I'm looking for, does grabbing the cheapest phone I can find seem like a bad idea?

It's not that I'm unwilling to go for a more expensive phone, I just don't really understand why I would want to. I'd be comfortable spending up to $200, and kind of grudgingly willing to spend around $300 if I thought it would really make a difference. If not, then I'm not sure that I would be hurt by looking for something similar to MetroPCS's $59 Samsung Admire. Either way, I'll probably keep the phone for a couple of years, which makes me lean toward spending more.

I saw the prepaid thread, but I'm under the impression that none of the prepaid carriers have decent reception in my area.

Metro and cricket suck, so you are right to look at T-Mobile.

Get the Samsung nexus s, you can probably find it for $200-300 if you look. Absolutely worth it, it is the Android developer phone which means it gets updates faster, it has stock android and none of the manufacturer skin bullshit. You want the nexus s and it'll be your best buy.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
So after looking around and skimming this thread I want to get the nexus s. What is a good (cheap) place to buy one? I'd rather avoid ebay, I don't want to give PayPal a chance to run off with hundreds of my dollars.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

The main one is that I want to try developing some mobile development, since that looks like fun. I guess that means it needs to be rootable.
Application development doesn't require root capabilities. The necessary tools to facilitate application development are required, by license, to be present on any Android device that comes with the Android Market. So any T-Mobile phone should "work" for that.

That said, depending on how serious you are about application development you probably want a device that runs the latest version of Android (ICS) or will "real soon". Unless you want to import the Galaxy Nexus from Europe, which is an awesome phone but crazy expensive, the Nexus S is probably your best bet.

Now, if you were thinking of Android platform development, i.e., ROM hacking, then yes you do want something rootable. But the Nexus S has you covered there.

If you really don't feel comfortable paying for a Nexus S, I'd probably recommend something like a used Vibrant over a new low-end phone. Reason being that the Vibrant has a reasonable amount of community support and can be made to run the latest version of Android via CyanogenMod (I think alpas for CM9 are available even). Cheap new phones both lack manufactuerer and community support, so you're kind of suck. GPS is hit or miss on the Vibrant though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Long Francesco posted:

So after looking around and skimming this thread I want to get the nexus s. What is a good (cheap) place to buy one?
Craigslist if you meet in person. Maybe SA-Mart.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Guys I'm looking for a phone. I need one relatively cheap; I absolutely can't go over $170 and the less money the better. I'm sticking with AT&T for now, so whatever phone I pick will have to be available from/for them. I currently have an iPhone 3G and my biggest issue with it is performance. Everything is slow as hell, and if, for instance, I listen to music, play words with friends, and then receive a text message, the app will crash. This happens with a number of apps and I don't necessarily need to be doing a lot of multitasking depending on the mood the iPhone is in. I don't really care about apps, I just need a phone where it isn't physically painful to load the map.

Can anyone help? Is the 3GS enough of an upgrade to justify the $150? Windows Phone looks cool, are there any in my price range?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Guys I'm looking for a phone. I need one relatively cheap; I absolutely can't go over $170 and the less money the better. I'm sticking with AT&T for now, so whatever phone I pick will have to be available from/for them. I currently have an iPhone 3G and my biggest issue with it is performance. Everything is slow as hell, and if, for instance, I listen to music, play words with friends, and then receive a text message, the app will crash. This happens with a number of apps and I don't necessarily need to be doing a lot of multitasking depending on the mood the iPhone is in. I don't really care about apps, I just need a phone where it isn't physically painful to load the map.

Can anyone help? Is the 3GS enough of an upgrade to justify the $150? Windows Phone looks cool, are there any in my price range?

The 3GS performs nicely on iOS 5, so that is an option. The Samsung Focus, a WP7 option is about $125 used, and is pretty good for the money. The only possible problem is the screen and its PenTile configuration, but go into a store and check this out. I can't recommend any Android device on AT&T in your price range.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you have an available upgrade? Because an 8GB iPhone 4 is $100 new.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I've been thinking more about T-Mobile's $30/mo plan, though, and now I'm wondering if it might be better to get a phone with 4G instead of the Nexus S, and just use WiFi at home and Google Voice over 4G when I'm out. The only people I ever actually talk to are my grandparents and my mother, I just text with everyone else I know. Would a 4G Vibrant be a good choice for me? Or is it likely that only the original Vibrant will be able to run ICS (through Cyanogen, eventually)?

I had Android apps in mind, not Android platform development, sorry. I can't say I'll never look into that, but it's not something I can see myself getting into.

Is there a reason why I should be looking for ICS support? I thought that any app written for 2.3 would work on ICS. Is that incorrect?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I've been thinking more about T-Mobile's $30/mo plan, though, and now I'm wondering if it might be better to get a phone with 4G instead of the Nexus S, and just use WiFi at home and Google Voice over 4G when I'm out. The only people I ever actually talk to are my grandparents and my mother, I just text with everyone else I know. Would a 4G Vibrant be a good choice for me? Or is it likely that only the original Vibrant will be able to run ICS (through Cyanogen, eventually)?

I had Android apps in mind, not Android platform development, sorry. I can't say I'll never look into that, but it's not something I can see myself getting into.

Is there a reason why I should be looking for ICS support? I thought that any app written for 2.3 would work on ICS. Is that incorrect?

T-Mobile's 4G isn't really 4G. They run HSPA+, which is really more like 3.75G and every phone benefits from the backhaul improvements that HSPA+ uses. As for Google Voice, you can definitely use Google Voice for texting, but you can't use it for calling like you want. Google Voice on cell phones works through routing numbers, not through VoIP. The latency is bad too for voice calls.

The reason why you should get a Nexus S is that you don't have to gently caress around with it to work. The Vibrant is a phone that requires hacking out of the box to work properly. With the Nexus S, you get the hardware plusses of the Vibrant with a working software stack.

And as for ICS, ICS makes the Android experience a lot better. It takes away the infuriating scrolling lag which Android was notoroious for (i.e. a 3-year old iPhone 3GS being smoother than a current dual-core Android phone), and adds in a few more nice things. I wouldn't say that ICS brings Android overall to the level of iOS because of third-party development, but it's certainly as good as WP7.5 and much better than Gingerbread.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Alright, that makes more sense. I'll go with the Nexus S and the $60 plan, then. Thanks!

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer
Provider: N/A
Contract: N/A
Budget: ~$400-$550 AUD
Features: Fast, current phone where I can have a screen that shows widgets like the weather etc. like the Android phones. Micro SD card is a must, which rules out the Nexus (and it's price does too I guess!). I've had an iPhone (still own it) and don't really like ios, and I've also got a Desire, and quite like Sense (although I'm running a different rom now).

I have a plan, just want the phone outright.

I've been thinking about either a Samsung Galaxy SII (~$550) or an Amaze 4g(~$525), or even an Evo 3d ($386).

Anything else I should be thinking about? Any recommendations?

Also, and I know this sounds a bit bad, but I'd appreciate it if Godzilla07 wouldn't respond to this, as I've yet to see anything where (s)he won't try weasel in a recommendation for Apple, even where it seems inappropriate.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

YardGlass posted:

Provider: N/A
Contract: N/A
Budget: ~$400-$550 AUD
Features: Fast, current phone where I can have a screen that shows widgets like the weather etc. like the Android phones. Micro SD card is a must, which rules out the Nexus (and it's price does too I guess!). I've had an iPhone (still own it) and don't really like ios, and I've also got a Desire, and quite like Sense (although I'm running a different rom now).

I have a plan, just want the phone outright.

I've been thinking about either a Samsung Galaxy SII (~$550) or an Amaze 4g(~$525), or even an Evo 3d ($386).

Anything else I should be thinking about? Any recommendations?

Also, and I know this sounds a bit bad, but I'd appreciate it if Godzilla07 wouldn't respond to this, as I've yet to see anything where (s)he won't try weasel in a recommendation for Apple, even where it seems inappropriate.

Most people that come in here come in not knowing much about smartphones, all they want is a smartphone. You know exactly what you want. Your average person can't really go wrong with an iPhone. Your average person can go very wrong with an Android phone, especially in the US where carriers can really screw things up. Here's two examples. Add to that the core Android platform just not being as good in terms of UI and UI smoothness before ICS.

All that being said, you're best off with the Galaxy S II given your requirements. Nicer hardware package and there's a healthy dev community, especially for the international version.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Country/Provider: Norway

Current contract status: Doesn't matter

Budget (phone/plan): Getting an unlocked phone. My budget isn't really limited, but at the same time I'm not going to buy the most expensive phone just because I can.

I used to have an LG Optimus x2 until recently when some goons in a different thread told me what a bad idea that was. Now I want something in the same range in terms of specifications. It's important to me that the phone feels fast overall (menus, applications etc), and I don't care about gaming at all. I'd like to have something that will end up with Andriod 4.0 at some point, though.

Kevin Bacon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 29, 2012

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Provider: Verizon
Current contract status: Upgrade eligible, additional loyalty discount in March, goes month-to-month in June
Budget: $300-$500 (?)

Features: This would be my first smartphone, so I'm not entirely sure what features I would use or need. My current phone is an LG EnV Touch: after having my first one go bad after almost a year, the replacement has now started turning itself off at random and constantly doing so during phone calls.

I'm sick of having a faulty phone, so I'd like one primarily for calls and limited Internet use (Google maps, Yelp, news, etc.) that will actually last rather than being a cheap piece of junk. I don't tend to text message too often, and I'm not certain how much I'd use apps. I'd have to upgrade my data plan to the 2 GB, and I may drop unlimited text messaging; current monthly bill is $70.

I'm also trying to decide whether to allow my contract to run out with Verizon and buy a phone full-price or take their discount and re-sign. It's effectively paying a few hundred bucks for an option to leave Verizon during the next two years, and I'm undecided about whether that's worth it. Any thoughts?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

more friedman units posted:

Current contract status: Upgrade eligible, additional loyalty discount in March, goes month-to-month in June

Features: This would be my first smartphone, so I'm not entirely sure what features I would use or need. My current phone is an LG EnV Touch: after having my first one go bad after almost a year, the replacement has now started turning itself off at random and constantly doing so during phone calls.

I'm sick of having a faulty phone, so I'd like one primarily for calls and limited Internet use (Google maps, Yelp, news, etc.) that will actually last rather than being a cheap piece of junk. I don't tend to text message too often, and I'm not certain how much I'd use apps. I'd have to upgrade my data plan to the 2 GB, and I may drop unlimited text messaging; current monthly bill is $70.

I'm also trying to decide whether to allow my contract to run out with Verizon and buy a phone full-price or take their discount and re-sign. It's effectively paying a few hundred bucks for an option to leave Verizon during the next two years, and I'm undecided about whether that's worth it. Any thoughts?

You are leaving money on the table if you don't sign a contract. It's most about getting the right phone and a phone that holds value.

Get the galaxy nexus, it's 4G and has great maps support. Biggest thing is its the official Google phone so it has great software support. The phone will hold its value well, so if you want to switch in a year your fee would be about $230, and that phone would likely sell for at the least $200.

For the person in Norway, galaxy nexus for the same reason.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

more friedman units posted:

The carriers don't give you anything for not signing a contract, and only one gives you something for not taking the subsidy (T-Mobile.) Even if you were happy with your present phone/carrier and had a subsidy up, it wouldn't be a bad idea to flip an iPhone and pocket a few hundred bucks.

There are two options on Verizon. The iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus. The iPhone and iOS are simpler for a first smartphone, and third-party apps on iOS are definitely better. The Galaxy Nexus and Android gives you complete customization for your phone. There is a significant difference in size between the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone - go to a store to see if you're comfortable. Most are, but some aren't. Also, the Galaxy Nexus has LTE. LTE is pretty nice, but there's a definite tradeoff in battery life and 2 GB of data on LTE is pitiful.

Kevin Bacon posted:

Country/Provider: Norway

Current contract status: Doesn't matter

Budget (phone/plan): Getting an unlocked phone. My budget isn't really limited, but at the same time I'm not going to buy the most expensive phone just because I can.

I used to have an LG Optimus x2 until recently when some goons in a different thread told me what a bad idea that was. Now I want something in the same range in terms of specifications. It's important to me that the phone feels fast overall (menus, applications etc), and I don't care about gaming at all. I'd like to have something that will end up with Andriod 4.0 at some point, though.

Galaxy Nexus, the end.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I want a GNexus. My contract with AT&T is up, so I can leave them (and the family plan I'm on) if I want. Is my best bet to go with Verizon or is there a really compelling reason to go with an imported one and staying with AT&T? Third option: waiting for Sprint to get the GNexus "soon."

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 30, 2012

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: My wife's plan (Droid X with unlimited data) ends in August, eligible for discounted upgrade in March. My plan (dumbphone) ends in November, already eligible for early upgrade, receive extra (small) discount in July.

Budget (phone/plan): My wife's looking to upgrade her phone, I'm thinking of getting my first smartphone. We're looking to spend around $100 to $300 for the phone itself. She has the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, I'd probably do the cheapest data plan (2 GB for $30/month). We do receive a 20% corporate discount for the minute and data plans.

I know the Galaxy Nexus is the recommended phone around her. The wife and I stopped by the Verizon store earlier today to look at the phones and talk with a rep about the different plans. The Galaxy Nexus looked good to me, about the same physical size as my wife's Droid X, so I should be fine with that.

The wife really liked the LG Spectrum, which is about the same size, $100 less, and the specs say a faster processor. I know the Nexus has the Android 4.0 and the Spectrum only has 2.3.4 right now, the Spectrum will be slower to receive Android updates, and the Spectrum will have additional Verizon junk installed on it. Any other reasons why she shouldn't go with it for $100 less? Do LG and Samsung have similar track records on quality and support?

My wife wouldn't be upgrading until mid-March and I don't have a burning need to upgrade now. Is there anything come out that I should consider holding out for, or is the Nexus the best thing until the next Google phone?

edit: Also, we do some international traveling, would be nice if we could use the phones abroad (we were able to use the Droid X in India, but not in Chile). From my limited understanding (FAQ and Wikipedia) Verizon uses CDMA and the rest of the world uses GSM. Does this mean that no matter what Verizon phone I buy it will be CDMA and not have much support abroad?

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 30, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jjack229 posted:

Current contract status: My wife's plan (Droid X with unlimited data) ends in August, eligible for discounted upgrade in March. My plan (dumbphone) ends in November, already eligible for early upgrade, receive extra (small) discount in July.

Budget (phone/plan): My wife's looking to upgrade her phone, I'm thinking of getting my first smartphone. We're looking to spend around $100 to $300 for the phone itself. She has the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, I'd probably do the cheapest data plan (2 GB for $30/month). We do receive a 20% corporate discount for the minute and data plans.

I know the Galaxy Nexus is the recommended phone around her. The wife and I stopped by the Verizon store earlier today to look at the phones and talk with a rep about the different plans. The Galaxy Nexus looked good to me, about the same physical size as my wife's Droid X, so I should be fine with that.

The wife really liked the LG Spectrum, which is about the same size, $100 less, and the specs say a faster processor. I know the Nexus has the Android 4.0 and the Spectrum only has 2.3.4 right now, the Spectrum will be slower to receive Android updates, and the Spectrum will have additional Verizon junk installed on it. Any other reasons why she shouldn't go with it for $100 less? Do LG and Samsung have similar track records on quality and support?

My wife wouldn't be upgrading until mid-March and I don't have a burning need to upgrade now. Is there anything come out that I should consider holding out for, or is the Nexus the best thing until the next Google phone?

edit: Also, we do some international traveling, would be nice if we could use the phones abroad (we were able to use the Droid X in India, but not in Chile). From my limited understanding (FAQ and Wikipedia) Verizon uses CDMA and the rest of the world uses GSM. Does this mean that no matter what Verizon phone I buy it will be CDMA and not have much support abroad?

There are two phones to buy on Verizon: the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy Nexus. LG makes good feature phones, their smartphones are very hit or miss, leaning towards miss now a days. So yeah, she should get the Galaxy Nexus if she wants Android.

There are certain Verizon phones that are "global" capable (they have an extra SIM card slot), but honestly its more like a bonus anyway. The big thing is the remember that international roaming rates suuuuuck, so you would be popping in a prepaid card anyway. It is more convenient to have your phone being able to do that, but I would get you could get a year old generation unlocked android phone for pretty cheap. So worst case buy some cheap phone and pop prepaud cards in next time you go to Chile.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I have been reading this thread for a little while now and I have to say, all the information I've found has been very useful. So, thanks for being so helpful.

After doing some shopping around, I think I have settled on the T Mobile 500 minutes with 2 gigs of data $50 value plan. I'm looking for good service on the cheap, and this seems like the way to go (although if that $30 a month prepaid plan had more minutes i would have jumped on that in a heart beat.)

Of course that plan doesn't come with a subsidy, so now I'm looking for a phone. After reading this thread it seems like the favorite bang for the buck phone is the Nexus S. Now, I am going through the process of trying to find one for a good price. Honestly, this is all very new to me, so excuse me if I'm a little ignorant. I know I should be looking for the GT-I9020T, but when I'm looking on places like craigslist, people are not always entirely descriptive and I don't really know what I'm talking about. I know both ATT and T mobile use GSM, so would I be alright using an unlocked ATT Nexus S?

I just don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a phone to find out I got one that can't use the correct 3G bands, or whatever. Sorry if I'm completely missing something, but I feel a little lost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You won't get 3G using an AT&T Nexus S on T-Mobile. Just email the CL listings if they're AT&T or T-Mobile models. If they don't know, don't buy it.

YardGlass
Jan 21, 2003

Instant asshole: Just add beer

Godzilla07 posted:

Most people that come in here come in not knowing much about smartphones, all they want is a smartphone. You know exactly what you want. Your average person can't really go wrong with an iPhone. Your average person can go very wrong with an Android phone, especially in the US where carriers can really screw things up. Here's two examples. Add to that the core Android platform just not being as good in terms of UI and UI smoothness before ICS.

All that being said, you're best off with the Galaxy S II given your requirements. Nicer hardware package and there's a healthy dev community, especially for the international version.

Thanks for replying, but there are plenty of Android phones that the average person can't go wrong with (same for Win7 too I'd imagine). UI is very personal so you should perhaps encourage people to try them out for themselves. The iOS flicking through screens and not being able to switch between 'running' applications makes it incredibly frustrating to use for me, and the lack of widgets etc. also makes it feel out-dated.

Now your recommendation of the SGS2 because it is a nicer hardware package is interesting too, as it seems to be inferior to the others with regard to CPU (dual 1.2 vs dual 1.5)and resolution. Is it the camera that makes it so much better hardware-wise? I must admit that I'm leaning towards the SGS2 of those listed, because of its superior after-market support, but I'm most likely going to wait and see what the Xperia S has to offer, as that looks pretty sweet to me. Anyone else got any opinions on the above?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YardGlass posted:

Thanks for replying, but there are plenty of Android phones that the average person can't go wrong with (same for Win7 too I'd imagine). UI is very personal so you should perhaps encourage people to try them out for themselves. The iOS flicking through screens and not being able to switch between 'running' applications makes it incredibly frustrating to use for me, and the lack of widgets etc. also makes it feel out-dated.

Now your recommendation of the SGS2 because it is a nicer hardware package is interesting too, as it seems to be inferior to the others with regard to CPU (dual 1.2 vs dual 1.5)and resolution. Is it the camera that makes it so much better hardware-wise? I must admit that I'm leaning towards the SGS2 of those listed, because of its superior after-market support, but I'm most likely going to wait and see what the Xperia S has to offer, as that looks pretty sweet to me. Anyone else got any opinions on the above?

I just want to put in the opinion that I have never seen a Sony Ericson (now Sony) phone that just looked great, I have yet to see them really offer great software support, and I am pretty sure reviews back me up when I say "there is no reason to buy Sony over other brands." I personally would never buy a Sony Android phone nor would I ever recommend them.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I've been using a T-mobile G2 since June, and I'm planning on paying an ETF and switching over to Verizon, since my husband just got a new account and they're much faster out here.

I hate that my G2 is constantly pausing my music and podcasts. It's done it with multiple different phones (I've had it replaced twice) and it doesn't matter if headphones are plugged in or not. I really just want something that will play music or podcasts without my having to fiddle with it.

It would also be nice to get something as fast or faster than what I have. And I don't want a keyboard again, it's pretty superfluous. Battery life would be nice.

Based on my husband's phone research I'm thinking a Galaxy Nexus or a Razr Maxx (dumbest name ever) would be good. Should I wait for something better?

There's really no compelling reason for me to switch now, except that my G2 is probably losing value as time passes. I think I could get my $200 ETF back on it right now, since it's in perfect condition, but I don't know how quickly these things depreciate.

Oh, and it's probably a fantasy, but: Are there any phones that are smaller but are still awesome? My G2 doesn't really fit in my pockets at all, and my husband's Nexus is even larger, though also thinner. Girl's jeans have very small pockets :(

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 31, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dopaMEAN posted:

I've been using a T-mobile G2 since June, and I'm planning on paying an ETF and switching over to Verizon, since my husband just got a new account and they're much faster out here.

I hate that my G2 is constantly pausing my music and podcasts. It's done it with multiple different phones (I've had it replaced twice) and it doesn't matter if headphones are plugged in or not. I really just want something that will play music or podcasts without my having to fiddle with it.

It would also be nice to get something as fast or faster than what I have. And I don't want a keyboard again, it's pretty superfluous. Battery life would be nice.

Based on my husband's phone research I'm thinking a Galaxy Nexus or a Razr Maxx (dumbest name ever) would be good. Should I wait for something better?

There's really no compelling reason for me to switch now, except that my G2 is probably losing value as time passes. I think I could get my $200 ETF back on it right now, since it's in perfect condition, but I don't know how quickly these things depreciate.

Oh, and it's probably a fantasy, but: Are there any phones that are smaller but are still awesome? My G2 doesn't really fit in my pockets at all, and my husband's Nexus is even larger, though also thinner. Girl's jeans have very small pockets :(

If only there was a well known, smaller phone that handled music well.

It's the iPhone that you want :) You can grab it on Verizon, but won't have LTE if that's the kind of faster speeds you meant. There is no good LTE phone that is small, unfortunately.

Some Galaxy Nexus owners have audio issues, not sure about the Razr. It looks likely that a leaked but not yet officially released update fixes the audio issues on the Nexus, though. Both are huge phones.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 31, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Been using VM with a LG Rumor Touch for about a year and a half now, and I'm considering an upgrade with them sometime in the next month. Do any of the Android phones support Skype chat rooms, either built-in or through apps?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Okay, I'm new to doing anything more that just 'go to store, buy plan, get phone, get raped'.

Is it possible to get an Xperia Play(I want to be able to stop carrying multiple devices and I kill time by playing emulators on campus) and use it on a prepaid network of some kind? I believe the phone is GSM, and all the prepaid services seem to be CDMA? How does one go about all this?

EDIT: On second thought, this might have been better placed in the prepaid thread.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 1, 2012

JackFrost
Aug 11, 2008

Current Contract status: Contracts been up for about 7 months

Budget/Plan: No real cost worry, been saving up for a new joy for quite some time...

I'm a college upperclassman, so I haven't really thought about upgrading my phone until about a week ago, when the parents reminded me the good old blackberry tour's contract was finished last June. Sweet news.

Keeping it short, I can't decide between these options
1. Galaxy Nexus or Iphone 4s. Easy enough, except that the GN's camera isn't impressing me, and the iPhone's iOS isn't really my fancy (and Jailbreaking honestly scares me).

2. Waiting it out until a ICS phone with a better camera (one as good as the iPhone/better), quad core/crazy features galore is released,probably announced at the World Mobile thing in February.

3. Wait until the Tour dies, and buy a phone off contract, and wait? Are there any phones that I should hold out for? Or is the Nexus/Iphone4s pretty much safe bets for the long haul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

JackFrost posted:

Current Contract status: Contracts been up for about 7 months

Budget/Plan: No real cost worry, been saving up for a new joy for quite some time...

I'm a college upperclassman, so I haven't really thought about upgrading my phone until about a week ago, when the parents reminded me the good old blackberry tour's contract was finished last June. Sweet news.

Keeping it short, I can't decide between these options
1. Galaxy Nexus or Iphone 4s. Easy enough, except that the GN's camera isn't impressing me, and the iPhone's iOS isn't really my fancy (and Jailbreaking honestly scares me).

2. Waiting it out until a ICS phone with a better camera (one as good as the iPhone/better), quad core/crazy features galore is released,probably announced at the World Mobile thing in February.

3. Wait until the Tour dies, and buy a phone off contract, and wait? Are there any phones that I should hold out for? Or is the Nexus/Iphone4s pretty much safe bets for the long haul?

I, too, have this exact same dilemma (sup class of 2012 buddy?). My contract is up in 2 weeks and I've currently got a Thunderbolt, which is the biggest flaming piece of poo poo ever, software and hardware-wise. The software is literally maintained by some 21old kid (protekk on cm7) and is unlikely to see CM9 unless someone gets very lucky with the RIL. The hardware is disgustingly bad. The kickstand has this plastic poo poo that started peeling off about a month after I bought it. The glass isn't applied evenly somehow, so the upper right screen is not flush with the plastic surrounding it. The phone reboots randomly (despite changing ROMs and radios to try to solve the problem). It's pretty laggy a lot of the time, though that might be due to the fact that it's only got a single core and running a hacked together version of gingerbread. And to top it all off, my warranty is voided because I tried to fix their lovely software with custom roms :v:.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Nexus because the screen is so nice and it has LTE, but browsing these forums daily is making me rethink that choice. The Thunderbolt was the flavor-of-the-month for about 6 months, and then literally every competent dev ditched it for the Nexus. It's pretty frustrating that neither Verizon, HTC, or the developer community will support a phone that is STILL sold on Verizon's shelves.

I've enjoyed android, but this phone has left a sour taste in my mouth. People tell me the Galaxy Nexus is going to be the primary developer phone and it will always be up to date for the next 2 years, but if that's the case then why is last year's CDMA Nexus S 4G on Sprint still on Gingerbread? CDMA seems to be the red-headed stepchild for updates, and it looks like the only OEM that's able to give carriers the middle finger and release timely updates is Apple.

I've been using Android since the Droid 1 and I am too reliant on Google's services because of it, but I'm seriously considering a switch. I've purchased a used iPhone 4 to check out the hardware and iOS 5. I figure I can use it for a few weeks and make an educated decision, then pass the phone along to my mother. If there's one thing about iPhones, it's that they hold their resale value very well.

My main concerns about the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy Nexus are the lack of 4G, the smaller screen size, and the different OS. The first two translate to far better battery life, and the OS is going to just be a preference thing. I'd suggest spending some time in the store with both of them or buying a used iPhone and giving it a test run!

moon demon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 1, 2012