Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mordiceius posted:

I've known people that have done BJJ before and liked it but from watching videos of competitions on youtube, it just seems like 90% of BJJ is rolling around on the floor. That seems kinda... boring. :-\

mewse posted:

you're not allowed to say this until you've tried it

yeah seriously. Submission grappling is extremely boring to watch until you have a good knowledge base and know what is going on. "rolling around on the floor" gets extremely interesting and technical, fast.

I've done plenty of martial arts before (stuff like karate and TKD) and while all of that looked flashy and awesome, training was actually repetitive and boring. I accidentaly stumbled uppon judo and would never have guessed that it could be this awesome if I had never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mewse posted:

you're not allowed to say this until you've tried it

I just said it looks boring, not that it actually is boring. :P

I guess that's just the reason I never found watching MMA to be interesting.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
grappling is probably the biggest example of a sport thats fun to do and incredibly boring to watch.

Also, high level matches are often more boring than your average roll in practice or non BB tournament. At the highest level there are basically zero mistakes or technical holes. At lower levels, there are a million mistake and technical flaws that lead to more interesting action.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Well, everyone makes mistakes, lets not deify anyone (e: who doesn't do judo). If someone could play a zero-mistakes game that would take all the fun out of it! But you're right that the high level matches are often more boring, because competitors play very carefully to try to avoid taking any risks.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 31, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002
Going abroad to a country with a proper campus is awesome, and a state of the art sport center with loving EVERYTHING in it, judo included, for €45 for a semester is brilliant. First class yesterday, god drat the gis are big, even after washing them. Wish I would've brought my washed out Koral ;(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just keep using a dryer until it shrinks enough.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Just keep using a dryer until it shrinks enough.
don't have one in the soviet block housing i'm currently in. might give it a 90C run...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Well, everyone makes mistakes, lets not deify anyone (e: who doesn't do judo). If someone could play a zero-mistakes game that would take all the fun out of it! But you're right that the high level matches are often more boring, because competitors play very carefully to try to avoid taking any risks.

I guess I should have clarified that there are mistakes but they are very small and happen very infrequently. Top guys also seize any advantage, so you don't often see big swings in the action once someone has the slightest edge.

Its like those chess championships where a bad pawn choice leads to a checkmate 25 moves after it happens. If you don't know chess or have a breakdown by someone who does, its almost impossible to tell why one guy lost. Compare that to a match in the park where both people aren't as good and make way more mistakes, swinging the advantage back and forth as they both exploit gaping holes.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
going to my first IBJJF event and getting to watch high level competition was really eye opening, watching the black belts made me realize how important grip fighting was, because the matches were all 10 minute battles for grips that ended with one guy winning by advantage or maybe 2-0. But from a spectator perspective that gets boring pretty fast, the really exciting matches to watch were the blues and purples.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

mindtwist posted:

going to my first IBJJF event and getting to watch high level competition was really eye opening, watching the black belts made me realize how important grip fighting was, because the matches were all 10 minute battles for grips that ended with one guy winning by advantage or maybe 2-0. But from a spectator perspective that gets boring pretty fast, the really exciting matches to watch were the blues and purples.

That's why Gi BJJ stinks!!! IN my opinion

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

dude with chemtrails in his UN says gi Bjj is boring.

Eddie is that you?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Xguard86 posted:

chess

Hey does anyone else here play chess? We should get a chess.com thing going on.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I used to fairly often but I'm really bad and never seem to get better, even with practice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I like how the gi slows things down and forces you to use just the perfect combination of technique, strength, and quickness. I know gripfighting and slow, deliberate progressions aren't the most spectator friendly parts of grappling, but they are some of the funnest parts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

my new boxing gym has a grappling class -- should i get a cup before i even think about participating?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

my new boxing gym has a grappling class -- should i get a cup before i even think about participating?

I very rarely put my cup for Judo and forget it 50% of the time for BJJ. I only ever very rarely get nailed in the balls.

You can start now and just buy the cup as soon as it's possible.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Yeah I found that wearing a cup while grappling tended to hurt me more than help. There was a lot of constant pressure when you're all entwined, and I found it dug in more than it prevented anything.

Wear a mouth guard for sure, though.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I wear a cup when grappling because every time i think it might be safe to leave it off someone instantly decides to elbow me in the cock.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I grappled cupless for like 4 years but once i started wearing one Ill never go back, as long as you get one that actually fits your shaft and satch' comfortably there is no downside to having the protection

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Hey does anyone else here play chess? We should get a chess.com thing going on.

mewse, Proper grundle protection is key. You might not think you need a cup until you get sacked on a guard pass or something.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

EDIT: mewse, Proper grundle protection is key. You might not think you need a cup until you get sacked on a guard pass or something.

hey the class is with curtis brigham, i'm pretty psyched :unsmith:

where do you train btw?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm on there though facebook. My username is the same as my sa name.

EDIT: mewse, Proper grundle protection is key. You might not think you need a cup until you get sacked on a guard pass or something.

Sent you a challenge. I'm Bodhisativa if anyone else wants to get in on this

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I stepped on a partner's balls last night while trying to get out of spider guard so I'd wear a cup.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Got kneed in the balls by the teacher demo-ing something. I brought a cup the same day.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

While learning uchimata, I nailed many guys down low (And still do occasionally!) But very few people wear cups in Judo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

are you guys trying to say i don't need a cup until i get hit in the balls really hard because that seems to be the theme of these stories

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mewse posted:

are you guys trying to say i don't need a cup until i get hit in the balls really hard because that seems to be the theme of these stories

No point in closing the door until the horse is out of the barn

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
I wear a cup when I'm doing anything combat-related, even boxing. You never know what creative new way some dumbass is going to come up with to tag your junk, even under the most unlikely circumstances. It's just not worth the risk.

mewse
May 2, 2006

for boxing i'm eventually going to get a foul protector with the padding for the lower abdomen, haven't been tagged in my junk yet

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I might be a huge crybaby, but if I show up for grappling having forgotten my cup, rashguard, or knee-pads than I'm going home to get them.

The knee-pads are crucial after having experienced bursitis of the knee before, and goddamn is that an annoying injury that takes forever to go away (never actually 'heals', just stops draining fluid into knee after 2-3 months).

The cup does hurt my junk sometimes, and I have calluses forming on the sides of my thighs from where it constantly rubs... it especially hurts when I go for armbars if the cup gets jostled off-center. That being said, even beyond protecting my junk, at the very least it makes the experience of grappling much less gay. I'm not homophobic, but I prefer to grapple without my junk rubbing directly up on my opponent.

And the rashguard is just because grapplers are filthy fuckers, and I'm tired of getting ringworm from all the unwashed mma grapplers that don't wear gis. Can't be too safe.

It's weird though, I've never worn a mouthguard and never had a problem without it. I get accidentally hit in the face sometimes, which leaves cosmetic damage, but nothing serious.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 31, 2012

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I've eaten enough elbows to the face in my limited bjj career to always make sure and wear a mouthguard.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

swmmrmanshen posted:

While learning uchimata, I nailed many guys down low (And still do occasionally!) But very few people wear cups in Judo.

Cups are illegal in Judo competition (no hard objects under the gi), so most guys don't wear them in Judo. But the mouthguard has more than paid for itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't wear a cup. But you'll never catch me without a jock strap or compression shorts.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You'll find a cup is a bit of a hindrance. If everybody rolls like a psychpath at your club you might want to wear one anyway, but I find it's weird when you're in half-guard, hurts you when you take someone else's back, and makes armbars weird.

Definitely a mouthguard though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I wear a cup when I'm doing anything combat-related, even boxing. You never know what creative new way some dumbass is going to come up with to tag your junk, even under the most unlikely circumstances. It's just not worth the risk.

I got side kicked in the sack while sparring in tae kwon do (this was twenty years ago, we didn't know any better) and it turned one of my balls loving black. I had to go get ultrason done on it and it hurt so loving badly I can't even put it into words. So basically I wear a cup for everything now.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
How do you go about deciding which cup to get? Its not like you can try it on and then take it back with ball germs all over it right?

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You'll find a cup is a bit of a hindrance. If everybody rolls like a psychpath at your club you might want to wear one anyway, but I find it's weird when you're in half-guard, hurts you when you take someone else's back, and makes armbars weird.

You need a cup that fits better. I don't really notice mine, and it makes armbars a lot less stressful since I don't have to worry about crushing my nuts. I also occasionally tap people by stretching them out with a body triangle and pressing my cup into their spine, and it doesn't hurt me at all.

Nierbo posted:

How do you go about deciding which cup to get? Its not like you can try it on and then take it back with ball germs all over it right?

I would just get the biggest size they have. I've had smaller cups before that were incredibly uncomfortable, but the one I have now has plenty of room and I never have trouble with it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

I don't wear a cup. But you'll never catch me without a jock strap or compression shorts.

Same here though. I don't wear a cup most of the time, but I always wear some shock doctor compression short that have a little pocket for a cup. They have a little bit of padding and keep my junk from moving around.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Rolled my (weak, previously injured, had physical therapy for) ankle in judo last night. Been stuck at home all day icing it. The guys in the dojo said you can wear almost any protective gear you want (elbow pads, ankle/knee braces, etc) in judo tournaments and it's a good idea.

I can't believe I didn't buy an ankle brace before I even started judo as this was bound to happen, but I've learned my lesson.

I've been to four practices so far, this time they had us doing ukemi (I think that's what it's called, the rolls) and I'm managing to roll all the way through and stand up even though my form isn't the greatest. We've learned o-soto gari and ippon seionage and they had us two newbies practicing our grip by doing a little randori. The guy is really aggressive in trying to push me off guard to the point of not maintaining his own balance, he tried to o-soto gari me and I clumsily but effectively countered and "won" that match. Then I rolled my ankle and I was done for the night :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You can wear any protective gear or brace that isn't metal or hard plastic. For practice most clubs are far more lenient (especially concerning cups). A big metal knee brace would be unsafe for practice, but I can't see anybody caring if you wore something hard over your ankle.

• Locked thread