Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Revenant Threshold posted:

Episode 15:
Guests: Tony Ahn (Idol) Kim Kwang-Kyu (Actor)

1 2 3 4

On the face of it, an incredibly boring location. But it’s actually a pretty awesome one when it comes to the chasing game.

First up, a sort of 1 vs. X, only there’s no trick or person secretly in on a plot. This time round, the first game (and pre-investigation) is who can successfully hit on Ji-Hyo, which goes probably about as well as you’d expect. The different approaches the men take are pretty funny, but Gwang-Soo shines out as really getting into the show again this week, and the “house” joke just gets funnier every time. The repeated cuts to Gary’s blank face when everyone else is doing ok are great as well. I suspect those Joong-Ki and Jong-Kook fans in the thread will be happy with this particular segment.

After all that, we come to the hide-and-seek, which has a really strong chasing team (or maybe just a really weak mission team) this week, but it’s actually a good game this week so it doesn’t seem to matter. This is also the first time they have the concept of resurrection tags, which don’t show up too often but does provide a nice little quirk to the game. I end up feeling sorry for Kwang-Kyu after Suk-Jin basically sacrifices him. After being overpowered yet again, Haha takes the opportunity to do some more action movie posing, and manages to get caught. Jae-Suk sadly isn’t as good at pretending to be out as Lizzy was last week, and the free-for-all that then ensues is pretty hilarious.

Another random game cut out, this time the thief card game, but I’m not really sure I’d want to cut out anything else in this episode to make room for it. And Haha is again incredibly lucky in the lottery.

Next time; the members make Yuri cry.

I think the subway heartrate minigame is one of my all-time favorites. The pathetic-to-romantic attempts of the guys to the :geno:ness of Gary's reaction just make the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was so happy they started to try the "pretend you've already been caught" tactic, because I was surprised they hadn't already been trying that. Just a shame they made it so obviously suspicious and blew the whole plan.

Kwangsoo really starts coming alive in these past couple episodes. Partly because of his "framing" gimmick, and partly because he just finds his niche and gets some really strong moments where he can be hilarious. The drill instructor during the thief game, and his attempt to raise Ji-Hyo's heart rate were stand-out moments.

And I love that not only is HaHa's "Action Shots" a recurring things for him, but he's getting Gary and stuff to play along with him and goof around too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The 1 vs X in EP 15 is one of the best they've ever done. Just so hilarious from beginning to end, especially Kwang Soo's jokes about Ji Hyo getting drunk and stealing is wallet. It was just completely the opposite approach from what any of the other guys did and it slayed me. His failed attempts at magic were also funny to watch.

Also I think Ji Hyo got dolled-up for that segment because that's one of the prettiest she's looked on the show.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well, compared to this,

edit: There's another episode where they drive around picking up all the members and they get to Ji Hyo when she's just getting out of bed. She's attractive, but she just does not look good first thing in the morning.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 31, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

qbert posted:

The 1 vs X in EP 15 is one of the best they've ever done. Just so hilarious from beginning to end, especially Kwang Soo's jokes about Ji Hyo getting drunk and stealing is wallet. It was just completely the opposite approach from what any of the other guys did and it slayed me. His failed attempts at magic were also funny to watch.

Kwang Soo framing/burns have been the best thing lately. I love how he keeps a straight face when he does that, it's what makes it work.

On a related note, I decided to check out some of Gary's work and holy poo poo, Leessang is really loving good. Not just, "hey this is pretty good for Korean Hip-Hop", it's really good loving hip-hop period. Gil has a killer voice.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Xandu posted:

Well, compared to this,

edit: There's another episode where they drive around picking up all the members and they get to Ji Hyo when she's just getting out of bed. She's attractive, but she just does not look good first thing in the morning.

I think she's adorable there and at all other times as well. imo. :mmmhmm:

quote:

On a related note, I decided to check out some of Gary's work and holy poo poo, Leessang is really loving good. Not just, "hey this is pretty good for Korean Hip-Hop", it's really good loving hip-hop period. Gil has a killer voice.

they make outstanding music

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I've marathoned to ep.15 and the 1:X games are by far my favorite segment of the show. Hide and seek is getting really stale.

Is the Monday couple for real or is Gary just hamming it up for the TV? In X-Man, I got the sense that Jong Kook and YEH genuinely liked each other, but I was probably more naive back then.

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 31, 2012

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Xandu posted:

She's attractive, but she just does not look good first thing in the morning.

Who does?..

And why no one ever just goes up behind someone and shouts "BOO!" in those heartbeat raising games is beyond me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

SnowWolf posted:

I've marathoned to ep.15 and the 1:X games are by far my favorite segment of the show. Hide and seek is getting really stale.

Is the Monday couple for real or is Gary just hamming it up for the TV? In X-Man, I got the sense that Jong Kook and YEH genuinely liked each other, but I was probably more naive back then.

He's hamming it up a bit for the show. He's said in an interview that he suggested the loveline thing to her, and she agreed, but he's become very conscious of taking care of her image since she's an actress. He said he even told her to not act as interested in him some weeks so she comes off looking better.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Lyer posted:

On a related note, I decided to check out some of Gary's work and holy poo poo, Leessang is really loving good.

I recently watched A Frozen Flower(one of Jihyo's movies) and thought it was pretty good. :)

As for the the 1 vs X segments, I think my favorite was ep 34, where everyone pranked Uee. They had her so completely fooled and panicked the whole time, it was great.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ah, it's unfortunate to hear that the Monday Couple could be set up and not created purely out of chemistry but I'm foolish to think that an onscreen couple could be an actual couple.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Ah, it's unfortunate to hear that the Monday Couple could be set up and not created purely out of chemistry but I'm foolish to think that an onscreen couple could be an actual couple.

Well I'm sure they do have a lot of love for each other, but it's probably more of a sibling relationship in real life.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I'm about 30 episodes in, and I'm pretty sure Ji Hyo genuinely has the hots for Jong Kook. Then again, any sane human being mere mortal, male or female, has the hots for Jong Kook. :colbert:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I'm about 30 episodes in, and I'm pretty sure Ji Hyo genuinely has the hots for Jong Kook. Then again, any sane human being mere mortal, male or female, has the hots for Jong Kook. :colbert:
This was also my thoughts, too. They seem to give off a vibe in the later episodes of boinking behind the scenes.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
To echo others, I have to say the pick up Ji-Hyo game was fantastic. The similar game in episode 18 is great as well.

It had so many great moments including Haha being a total sleaze, Gary seemingly taking it all too seriously, and Kwang-Kyu's "how's your father?". Suk-Jin was probably my favourite though - suitably lame, and I love the stupidity of:

"Anyway, do you have time? [to go out]"
"Yes, okay"
"Please excuse me, I don't have time"

qbert posted:

Also I think Ji Hyo got dolled-up for that segment because that's one of the prettiest she's looked on the show.

I think there was generally a bit of prep work that went into that bit, unless Kwang-Su always happens to carry magic props around with him.

El Graplurado posted:

And why no one ever just goes up behind someone and shouts "BOO!" in those heartbeat raising games is beyond me.

Exactly! This is what I would've done. Simply making her laugh a lot might've also done the trick.

oisn1
Nov 6, 2010

qbert posted:

He's hamming it up a bit for the show. He's said in an interview that he suggested the loveline thing to her, and she agreed, but he's become very conscious of taking care of her image since she's an actress. He said he even told her to not act as interested in him some weeks so she comes off looking better.

Maybe you can explain this a bit for me since I'm new to the cultural differences in Korean media and American media. Are celebrities supposed to stay single or something? I find the "idol" culture very different from celebrities in the US.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

oisn1 posted:

Maybe you can explain this a bit for me since I'm new to the cultural differences in Korean media and American media. Are celebrities supposed to stay single or something? I find the "idol" culture very different from celebrities in the US.

The fans are just very rabid compared to american audiences. A day or two ago there was a preview for a TV show that had a the actor and actress kiss (Jessica, an idol from SNSD) and people were flipping their poo poo. There's a youtube clip somewhere and if you read the comments (don't) you can see how crazy some of the fans are. It just boils down to them being jealous, taken to an extreme.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

oisn1 posted:

Yeah, it's not just Korea, but idols are expected to stay single and not date. It's changed for the better recently though.
For example, Goo Hara, one of the most popular idols, is openly dating a member of BEAST (a popular male group), and Sunye (no idea how to spell in English) of the Wondergirls is dating a non-celeb as well. Jonghyun, the leader of SHINEE, openly admitted he was dating Shin-se-gyung (ARGHUIWAFHAUIFBHAUIWWAHKFLA).

But yeah, the worry with openly dating is the potential fan/popularity hit. Personal fan numbers may decrease, the popularity of the whole group might be affected, and the other person in the relationship might be the target of hate attacks. That seems to have died down a lot, but like in the 90s, when 1st gen idol groups like HOT were popular, an actress who had a kiss scene with one of the HOT members would get death threats, etc.

Related note: 2 girls of AKB48, the biggest girl group in Japan, got kicked out because photos of them with their boyfriends leaked out, and it was against the group's rules to allow dating.

There are still rapid groups, I bet. But the majority of the fans seem okay with kiss scenes and such in dramas or musicals, calling it "business". This is judging from the major fansites/boards of the groups, of course. I think the majority of fans are still not okay/disapproving with dating, and maybe ambivalent at best (not openly supportive).

I read a popular post on a forum recently, that said something along the lines of: "We acknowledge the fact that idols are probably secretly dating, and we don't buy into their agencies' statements saying they are single. But an idol shouldn't openly acknowledge the fact that he/she is dating. That would be like a sushi chef stating loudly, "I just took a massive dump in the restroom, and boy does that feel good! Now I'll make your sushi (sushi is made with the hands, of course). Oh, don't worry, I washed my hands!" There are some things better left unsaid."

Whether you agree or not, that's a decent statement summing up the overall attitude, I think.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 31, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

A day or two ago there was a preview for a TV show that had a the actor and actress kiss (Jessica, an idol from SNSD)

THEY DID WHAT?! :mad:

As an aside, I know that most idols do have a "no dating" clause in their contracts that prohibits them from being in relationships for at least a few years.

Archer2338 posted:

For example, Goo Hara, one of the most popular idols, is openly dating a member of BEAST (a popular male group)

And let's not forget that when this was announced, a school called their companies to complain about disrupted studies because their students could not stop crying.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

oisn1 posted:

The others above me explained it better than I could, as I'm not Korean, but here's a link to the interview with Gary I was referring to earlier.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7GV9Hi5yyiPTK2vgoY

Monday couple discussion starts around 3:20.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

Lee Dong-uk, you lucky bastard. :cry:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Jamesman posted:

Don't worry, you'll be fine, there are still eight others ;)*

What gets me about this weird anti-fan culture is that if your idol literally has it written into their contract that they can't date, they also can't date you. It's nice not having to compete with dudes/ladies who have a team of 20 people coordinating them into the physical reincarnation of the concept of beauty, but that doesn't mean you actually have a shot.

edit: *Seohyun is mine though

reflir fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 31, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Lee Dong-uk, you lucky bastard. :cry:

This is a man who does not understand how "dibs" works. :argh:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

reflir posted:

What gets me about this weird anti-fan culture is that if your idol literally has it written into their contract that they can't date, they also can't date you. It's nice not having to compete with dudes/ladies who have a team of 20 people coordinating them into the physical reincarnation of the concept of beauty, but that doesn't mean you actually have a shot.

edit: *Seohyun is mine though

Yeah, it's weird. I think it's jealously combined with a "gently caress you, if I can't get it, neither can you" mentality? Even if the no-dating rule is removed though, like it has been with the WG, fans still oppose dating openly...

Oh right, almost forgot, Sohee of the Wondergirls was seen having a lot of dates/present exchanging with some other JYP male group member. JYP denies this saying they are just "friends" (Frendzoned by agency? :v:)

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

reflir posted:

Not exactly. Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Yoona have all done kisses in musicals/shows.

I feel ashamed that I know that.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Archer2338 posted:

Related note: 2 girls of AKB48, the biggest girl group in Japan, got kicked out because photos of them with their boyfriends leaked out, and it was against the group's rules to allow dating.
I see AKB48 brought up a lot in these kinds of conversations because of what you point out here, and honestly every time I think i'm more weirded out by the concept of a girl group with so many drat members in (not to mention subgroups and the youth groups and whatever they have going at the moment) than the rabidness of fans.

Besides, apart from the big difference of it literally being written into some of these group's contracts and companies getting involved, fans seem to have similar reactions wherever. I'm not at all aware of their fandom, but i'm guessing Bieber and Gomez got similar hair-tearing reactions.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The AKB thing was more than just them having boyfriends. It was more of a general behavior thing, with them having private twitter accounts(as opposed to their 'official' ones) that they were using to discuss stuff that really didn't match with their image, as well as being really open with the boyfriend stuff in the first place.

As for idols not dating, it's mainly a business decision. Whether it makes sense or not, someone like that is way more interesting to most people if they are romantically 'available', even if they really aren't. And personally, I think it's better that they don't date anyway because they don't have time for it. They don't even have time to sleep, so I'd prefer that they didn't try to find time for dating when they are sleeping a maximum of 4 hours a night(or 2 if you're T-ara).

edit: In somewhat related news, Miryo from Brown-Eyed Girls...'s solo mini-album is out, featuring people like Gary and Sunny, you should check it out.

http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/8421218.html

Selane fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 31, 2012

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The Korean word for romance is really 로맨스? Are there a lot of Korean words borrowed from English this way?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

saintonan posted:

The Korean word for romance is really 로맨스? Are there a lot of Korean words borrowed from English this way?

Well, there are Korean words that could be used to say the same thing, but yeah, there a lot of English and Japanese words. The drama title probably sounded catchier with "Romance" than the Korean words for love/romance. Romantic, for example, could be 로맨틱 and a lot of people use the English word, or you could go Korean and use 낭만적(인). You could almost always find the real Korean word for whatever the English word is, but it's not always going to be more used than the English one.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 16:
Guests: Yuri (Idol, SNSD)

1 2 3 4 5

Our second SNSD member on the show, and certainly not the last, those of you from the IY threads will know how good Yuri is at these kinds of show. But it’s all for naught to start with, because this week it’s another 1 vs. X, with Yuri as the dupe. This time it’s charades, and with the whole team having a chance to win, putting the onus pretty firmly on Yuri when she’s “failing”, and she’s as hilariously competitive about the whole thing as you’d expect. And once again the team are godawful at any kind of subtle deception, but her not having seen the previous episodes was probably the decisive factor in her not getting it. And they seem to end up feeling bad about it when she does actually cry, but not enough to not gloat about winning at the end of it.

Second up, a location-themed game, and after making an idol cry, they’re going to make her gain weight and weigh her. Always nice to see the location-themed challenges, largely because it’s a bit more variety, plus Jong-Kook’s aversion to eating anything unhealthy rears up again. Haha totally misreading Suk-Jin and Ji-Hyo’s bickering was pretty funny, and Gwang-Soo being relegated to the third wheel in their little imagined drama was hilarious.

Lastly it’s the hide-and-seek, and shopping malls are probably one of the better locations they have this game in, since there’s so much variety. Ji-Hyo turning the tables on a previously very happy Gwang-Soo was great, as was her opposite reaction to Jong-Kook, and Haha opening the door to find Jong-Kook literally just sitting there waiting for him was probably the funniest part of the episode.

Finally, more hot pants punishment. Yuri looks weirdly good in that moustache.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 1, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I didn't think Yuri was that great in this episode. Aside from the 1 vs. X, she was pretty unremarkable, even then it was mostly because of her being the target. She was my least favorite cast member in IY1 and in SNSD, so I don't know if that's spilling over to RM as well. The best was the grocery store segment though. Joong Ki basically being the wingman for Kwang Soo and getting Yuri to feed him was hilarious. Also Suk Jin outing Ji Hyo's weight was funny as well.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Korean fandom is ridiculous in general. Makes for really exciting audience atmosphere at sporting events (Olympics, World Cup). But it can also be dangerous, especially when the anti-fans get involved. This is a great article about Tablo from Epik High and the many people who thought his Stanford degree was a fraud and were hellbent on destroying his reputation

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2011/julaug/features/tablo.html

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I don't really know where to ask but are there any similiar korean dramas like baker king kim tak gu or secret garden? Ive watched only Iris, slingshot,city hunter so far and those are far away from it :P.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Emalde posted:

Speaking of this, I just found a track that nobody was able to identify; 15 minutes into Episode 21. Nobody from isubs has a clue, does anyone here know?

Rhythm and Police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1xv6nDIF0

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Speaking of SNSD, they will be appearing on David Letterman tonight, Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning. Wish they were promoting a better song though =/

Here's them arriving in New York City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwg1cJ7nYP8

Selane
May 19, 2006

SnowWolf posted:

Speaking of SNSD, they will be appearing on David Letterman tonight, Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning. Wish they were promoting a better song though =/

Here's them arriving in New York City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwg1cJ7nYP8

If that surly security guard thinks that's bad(which it isn't) he'd loving poo poo himself if he saw what it's like when they arrive in various Asian airports and whatnot.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

SnowWolf posted:

Korean fandom is ridiculous in general. Makes for really exciting audience atmosphere at sporting events (Olympics, World Cup). But it can also be dangerous, especially when the anti-fans get involved. This is a great article about Tablo from Epik High and the many people who thought his Stanford degree was a fraud and were hellbent on destroying his reputation

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2011/julaug/features/tablo.html

Yeah, and then recently, that retard went on to say the daughter of Insooni was lying because she was accepted into Stanford. The reasoning was that "all American colleges announce their decisions in May, so getting a decision in December makes no sense" (yeah, there is no such thing as ED, right? Idiot).

The general public isn't paying any attention to him nowadays, thank god.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Episode 16:
Guests: Yuri (Idol, SNSD)

1 2 3 4 5

This was the first episode I saw and still one of my favorites. Somebody should make a gif of her wailing WAH for the hint.

Watching this and then first episode together, I was convinced the show always took place in a shopping mall.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

IV

IY. You keep saying V for some reason.

Yuri was delightfully adorable in her frustrations during the speed quiz (WAA!), and I always enjoy how the group stumbles through their cheating in these situations (answering before any actual hints are given, flat-out looking at the answer card). And in true hidden camera fashion, making the person cry means it was a success!

I really love how natural "Jong-Kook and the Boys" is. Even if it turns out it's all fake and everything is written for them, it still feels so right to have that brother dynamic with the three of them. The grocery sample day challenge was a great example of it.

And yeah, a department store is a great location for the hide-and-seek game. Nice big area with lots of places to hide, and I really liked the idea of the receipts in the registers. Ji-Hyo going off on Kwangsoo with her shoe was a great moment, and HaHa's determination to be the hero, only to get shot down the minute he opened the door was brilliant. Jong-Kook just keeps getting better and better with his setups for capturing people. I've watched a few episodes ahead, and I don't want to spoil anythinng, but I just want to say he continues to be an awesome (and terrifying) catcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I couldn't believe that Kim Jong Kook and the kids are all over 30, they all look fantastic.

E: Holy poo poo, Ji Hyo is 30 too? drat, I thought she was mid 20's.