Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Don't worry about it, rats are very adaptive, and you have lazy boys so they probably don't care at all. They'll survive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
That's good to hear. They get SO excited when I do play with them that I end up with all five of them jumping around and boggling all over the place. It makes me feel worse about not paying them enough attention.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sure they will be fine, but remember to guard against RES as well :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My friend is coming over on Sunday and I'm going to give her the giant ball that I bought for my boys (they never liked it) to see if he wants to run in it. They have three cats, two dogs, and a baby, so she was reluctant to let the rat have out-of-cage time unprotected. Even if he takes to the ball he'll still be supervised, of course, but she was hoping it would provide another layer of protection for him so she can let him roam around in the kitchen while she's cooking and such.

I hope he wants to use it, I know some rats like them and it's super cute, mine just never did.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

A good plan B for those balls is to hang them up in the cage. My girls used to LOVE sleeping in the big ball, and would drag fleece scraps from their scrapbox into it and all cram inside like furry sardines.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'd say it's too big for that, but Timmy has a HUGE cage. I'll definitely mention it to them.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
Hey guys, do you like RATS?

STAN and OLIVER, just a couple of hearty boys that rest on their laurels.

"Hey Oliver, come on out!"

"Oh man I don't knooooow..."

"Okay here I come!"

"Just hangin out, hangin out, hangin out with my FAMILY!"

"We're the tops!"

Hey guys.

It's YOGURT TIME

"Oh man thanks"

"I love these things, drat!"

"hey, thanks dude. I only like the blue yogurt part though. Why can't the whole snack be like that?"

"WOO WOO WOO WOO"

"A BLUH BLUH BLUHHH BLUUUGHUHGUHGUH!"

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
:aaaaa:

Got new rats, Shmorky?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I got an email back from the Honeyduke Rattery lady :toot:

quote:

Right, i have feedback! This might be a little garbled, just try and decipher lol!

Point the first. I just want to make sure you're aware that the average lifespan for rats is between 22 and 24 months. This is obviously very low, and one of the main things that we're working on within the TI. However this is obviously a long term thing and we're only just setting out. I do think we have better longevity than the average, but 24-28 months is probably a more realistic lifespan age.
The vet thing (money) came up, and we thought we'd suggest maybe having a vet fund that could add to weekly/monthly but of course it's up to you how you afford these things when the time comes - the important thing is that vet care is given when needed.
Substrate...if you're not sure about which to try, why not try both? Aubiose on the bottom where it'll absorb smells well etc, and card on top for digging funs. Also, scatter feeding was mentioned which is great for enrichment.
As for the rats in the future part...we'd like to suggest a "rolling" system ie taking on a pair/trio and adding another pair/trio when the first are about 18-24 months. Since I always have lots of rats I'm never really going to be in a situation where anyone is alone, as I also have a rolling system, just on a much bigger scale!  Unless of course you decide after your first few rats that you don't want to keep them anymore, at which point we'd appreciate you keeping us up to date and we could "lend" you rats to keep an oldy company, or take in a lone rat, that kind of thing.
Diet might need to be looked at a little. Generally you've got the right idea but you didn't mention supplements which are important if you're feeding a straights based diet. I'm currently experiemeting with a horse feed based diet which lowers the need for supplements. I'd be happy to discuss this, or you could start a thread on fancy rats asking for some different opinions.
I would also like to invite you round to see my little rattery, and meet some of my wonderful rats. Gives us a chance to have a good chat, and also gives you a feel for the kind of personalities we're striving for.
Feel free to reply with any questions/comments etc!

I think this means I might be able to get awesome rats next year :dance: I go to the city she's based in three times a week, so I'm going to try arranging to meet her and see her rats soon.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'll ask there here instead of rattin' up random nonsense like I've been doing.

E: Actually reading the reviews and such and not being a big fan of wire bottoms, I'm going to get a Martin cage instead.
That solved itself pretty quickly, welp.

(I was debating how many rats I could get with a Petco rat manor but I decided ugh wire floors so i'm going with Martin.)

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 26, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Shmorky posted:

Hey guys, do you like RATS?

[art]

"A BLUH BLUH BLUHHH BLUUUGHUHGUHGUH!"

Shmorky, I don't know how but you've made rats even more amazing. :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
New Baby Rats!
I picked up two 8 week old brothers the day before yesterday. They're super friendly, one of them is a total shoulder rat and one of them is an adventurer.

They have silk, and velour coats respectively. I don't know if you U.S people have silk - it's a long haired, shiny coat. Velour is a very recently developed coat type here that's sort of similar to rex. Its softer and more dense than rex, people say.

Silk mink berk: you can see his coat pretty well in this one.

Here he is falling asleep with my daughter.

Velour cinnamon self: he has a really funny moult pattern going on at the moment :D Plus the velour coat takes a while to mature, so at the moment he just looks kinda funny!

Here he is stealing cheerios just a couple hours after coming home
http://youtu.be/oA4Pn1OmAms

A picture of my older velour boy's coat for good measure. I know, my sofa is mink colored. (edit: better pic)

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 29, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Big Bug Hug posted:

A picture of my older velour boy's coat for good measure. I know, my sofa is mink colored.

That's a very plush looking rat. Also, until you pointed it out I thought someone had just paid Shmorky to do a rattie portrait.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Thats a good word to describe it, plush! He's soft and fuzzy, his fur is short, dense and curly and he's also a fatty rat.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
Big Bug Hug, your new boys look precious. What cool coats they have!

I have a quick question for you all. I was feeding Luna & Emily some of the baby food I had bought for Leah, a nice jar of peas. While I was feeding them, one of the cats came over and decided the peas were delicious & licked some out of the jar. I know I've read about the bacteria in cat saliva being bad for rats or other small animals if they're bitten, but what if they ingest it? I just want to know if I should throw out the jar or not, since there's about half left.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I would probably have just let them have it, but I'm terrible :) My boys have iron guts, I can't see it being a problem.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
You could probably just microwave it for a minute or two. That'd fry anything alive in there.

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks all. That's what I figured as well but I'm a worrywart. I actually called the vet today and asked (which I should have done in the first place but I always forget that they'll answer questions over the phone) and she suggested I go ahead and toss it simply because the digestive enzymes in the saliva & the bacteria might make it kinda gross. So I did. They're alive and well so no problems. :)

J A V A
Feb 25, 2007

I could think about computer programming forever up here. aw crud.
My boyfriend has a friend at work who doesn't have time to care for her rats anymore, and since we've been wanting little furry dudes for a while we jumped on the opportunity to take them. He's bringing them home today. I'm so excited! I'll post some pictures later. This thread is making me extra-pumped!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My SO's mom bought these Ecotrition Veggie Puffs for the rats this past Christmas. I wasn't expecting much from them, and I can't imagine they're very good for the suckers, but they go absolutely batty for them.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My red eyed girl has a splotch of something in one of her eyes. It just looks like a slightly less shiny/different tint of red. I don't know how long it's been there, but her eyes don't seem otherwise irritated. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it something I should see the vet about? It could be new, but it also could be something I've just never noticed before. I'd take a picture, but I don't think there's any way to really do it well.

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
I`ll rape you till you love me
THEY ALWAYS LOVE ME BEFORE THEY DIE

Invalid Octopus posted:

something in one of her eyes

Porphyrin. Can be a bad sign but it`s also normal, especially when they're tired/just woke up. Don't worry unless its all over their hands, arms and nose

quote:

Porphyrin and Norway rats
To the rat enthusiast, one porphyrin is of particular interest: the one that is secreted by the Harderian gland and appears around the rat's eyes. This red substance looks like red tears or blood, and can be startling to those who are unfamiliar with rats. Occasional low levels of porphyrin staining are normal, but regular large amounts of porphyrin indicate stress, sickness, or poor diet.

quote:

The overproduction of porphyrin in rats
Rats sometimes produce profuse amounts of porphyrin in their Harderian gland secretions. The porphyrin-filled tears overflow the eye and dry on and around the eyelids, forming a dark red crust, a condition called chromodacryorrhea (KRO-mo-DAK-re-o-re-uh). The secretions drain from the eye into the nose, and once there may overflow the nostrils and dry around that area as well. The rat may then wipe the secretions with its paws, leading to red-stained paws and muzzles. Occasional small amounts of porphyrin are normal, but large, regular amounts indicate an underlying problem.

Slidje fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 7, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm familiar with porphyrin, but I thought it was typically around the eye, not in the center. I don't see any on her face/under her eyes or anything. Just a random splotch of something in the center. And shouldn't it...move? I just checked again and it looks to be in the same spot.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Rats scratch their eyes a lot, and they often appear cloudy. Failing that, it could be a cataract. The good news is it won't bother the rat at all - they can't see worth poo poo anyway so the loss of sight won't affect them.

I also had an older rat who had pink eyes and they would regularly show a different color in the center. Its either individual variation or like I mentioned, some cataract type thing(He could very well have had cataracts, he was blind as a bat) Is it in one or both eyes with your rat?

So in short, I wouldn't worry about it unless its causing pain!

Edit: A pic of what I mean

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Just one eye! I was thinking it was probably something like a cataract or scar. It doesn't look otherwise irritated, and it's in just the one eye, so I guess she's okay.

edit:

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 7, 2012

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
A user I follow on Instagram, lpassmore, has a rat named Maeby that is the cutest rat I have ever seen:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

Just one eye! I was thinking it was probably something like a cataract or scar. It doesn't look otherwise irritated, and it's in just the one eye, so I guess she's okay.

edit:

Look at it from the side. If it has a little "bump" on it kinda like a nipple, it could be a corneal abrasion from her scratching it on accident. Those can easily be infected, and are also painful even if the rat acts normally. If it's NOT an abrasion... I don't know what it could be honestly. ianav.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

CompactFanny posted:

Look at it from the side. If it has a little "bump" on it kinda like a nipple, it could be a corneal abrasion from her scratching it on accident. Those can easily be infected, and are also painful even if the rat acts normally. If it's NOT an abrasion... I don't know what it could be honestly. ianav.

It does stick out a bit from the rest of the eye. It doesn't really look... fresh? But I guess it's hard to tell. She hasn't been acting funny at all, and it doesn't really seem to be bothering her. But I'll make a phone call to the vet tomorrow to see if he thinks it's worth taking her in for.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

She needs antibiotic ointment sooner than later. I had a rat lose an eye to infection this way. In my case, it was because I tried to take him in IMMEDIATELY when it happened, but my regular vet refused to even look at it and referred me to a veterinary ophthalmologist. When I took him to my other regular vet 2 days later (when she got back from vacation :sigh:) it was already infected, and even after aggressive antibiotic treatment the eye was lost.

Slidje
Jul 30, 2002

RAPIST
I`ll rape you till you love me
THEY ALWAYS LOVE ME BEFORE THEY DIE

Invalid Octopus posted:

I`m not really seeing anything bad in those pictures but the description makes me think it`s a scratch.
CompactFannys advice is sound if thats the case.

On another note, who wants to play Tail in the bottle :neckbeard:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

CompactFanny posted:

She needs antibiotic ointment sooner than later. I had a rat lose an eye to infection this way. In my case, it was because I tried to take him in IMMEDIATELY when it happened, but my regular vet refused to even look at it and referred me to a veterinary ophthalmologist. When I took him to my other regular vet 2 days later (when she got back from vacation :sigh:) it was already infected, and even after aggressive antibiotic treatment the eye was lost.
I stand corrected, I didn't think eye scratches usually caused problems, but I can see how ointment might be a good idea.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Vet appointment for Saturday made. Described the situation on the phone and they didn't give any indication that it was an urgent situation, and I don't even know if there's an e-vet that takes rats anyway. Anyway, I'm not too worried, but it will be good to have the doc look at it.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
My SO managed to move the vet appointment to today, so she'll be there in the next hour. I can't come, though, which is a bit of a bummer. Poor Angie.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
My gorgeous Georgina is probably off for euth tomorrow. She's got all sorts of lumps and bumps but the ones just under her neck look like they could be on the verge of bursting, so I think it's time. She's just hit 2 1/2 years, so she's had a good innings and she's been the best lickiest thing ever.

It's going to be a very quiet front room without her :(

Beluga Smoothie
Oct 22, 2008

Rathen posted:

My gorgeous Georgina is probably off for euth tomorrow. She's got all sorts of lumps and bumps but the ones just under her neck look like they could be on the verge of bursting, so I think it's time. She's just hit 2 1/2 years, so she's had a good innings and she's been the best lickiest thing ever.

I'm sorry to hear about that. :( What a cute little picture, though. Rat fort! :)

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
She's the most gorgeousness

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry Rathen :( She really is pretty. Its good you are doing this for her before crisis point, though.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Rathen posted:

I'm so, so sorry.

QuickAndDelish!
Jul 3, 2007

Cheers. Thanks a lot.
I got a question I have not found posted before. If I am wrong, sorry, itīs a lot of rat talk to browse through...

My two rat girls are now 5 months old, very charming and social and friendly. Unfortunately, one of them, Puff, has fixated on biting a hole in my sofa. She found a week spot in the armrest and began nibbling away a few months ago. Now itīs a big hole with stuffing gaping out of it.

To be clear, the sofa is old and I donīt really mind (although itīs not getting any nicer looking with Puffīs design...), but I am scared she will get into the sofa. It is big and massive and made in one piece- she could disappear and I would not be able to get her out.

I have tried distracting her with other stuff, snap my fingers, lift her away, put blankets on top of the hole, say a firm NO etc etc. But as you know, one can not watch a rat all the time, and as soon as an opportunity presents itself... I got a bigger hole.

Puff has a sister to play with, she lives in a large cage with toys, she spends at least 2 hours outside with me every day- I do not think she is doing this out of frustration, just being stubborn, as rats mostly are.

Now I am going to put a big piece of matching fabric and saw it on top of the hole (I am not going to glue it- Puff will gnaw on it and I do not want to poison her). So, my question- any ideas of something that will stop Puff from gnawing on the mended armrest? I know she hates garlic, but I am not going to smear that all over my sofa.... Please help with ideas!

The quick version- what makes a rat stop gnawing on a sofa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Taking away the sofa.

I guess you could try bitter apple spray, though I don't know how well it works with rats.