Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Daeus posted:

Normally I think people are trying to buy way too much car on these forums but you seem to be almost under-buying based off your position. I'd still advocate a used car, but one that is newer than you are talking about (2001 car will be 12 years old!). I'd look at used cars in the 2007-2009 time frame with high reliability ratings. Hyundai's come with a 60,000/5 Year bumper to bumper warranty that transfers to subsequent owners.

Well, I like small hatchbacks.

Unfortunately, car sales were abysmal during that time frame, so there are fewer 2007-2009 cars available, and many of the cars I'm looking at have 50k+ miles and are only $3-4k off the original sale price. Cars like the Versa, Fit, and Yaris have retained their value remarkably well. Cars like the Mazda3 are a better deal, but more expensive to start with. If I expand my search to sedans, a lot of options open up, which is ultimately the more frugal option, but isn't my preference. So it isn't as much a questions of, "Am I doing the most frugal thing?" as much as, "Am I doing something criminally foolish?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

Zuph posted:

Well, I like small hatchbacks.

Unfortunately, car sales were abysmal during that time frame, so there are fewer 2007-2009 cars available, and many of the cars I'm looking at have 50k+ miles and are only $3-4k off the original sale price. Cars like the Versa, Fit, and Yaris have retained their value remarkably well. Cars like the Mazda3 are a better deal, but more expensive to start with. If I expand my search to sedans, a lot of options open up, which is ultimately the more frugal option, but isn't my preference. So it isn't as much a questions of, "Am I doing the most frugal thing?" as much as, "Am I doing something criminally foolish?"

Criminally foolish, absolutely not. Since your preference isn't for a brand new $30,000 car I'd say buy whatever suits you. Head to BFC for car specific detailed advice.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

kaishek posted:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/cancelstaff.jsp

(can you get funding? any teaching schools?)

That's a pretty rough situation, but it sounds like you have good intentions to get things straightened out again. Good luck!

Thank you for the link, I had heard of that program but wasn't going to worry about it until after I finished up school.

Also, I am unable to enroll in any school (even the local community college) while my transcripts are held at my other school.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Do you know what you want to do? There seems to be a wide gulf between physics and philosophy.

You should start listening to Dave Ramsey.

As far as payments, I would payoff and eliminate the two smallest credit cards. They are your highest rates anyway, and make minimum payments on the larger credit card and student loans that have not defaulted. After you pay off those 2 cards, save up money to cover the past due amount to the school. Between that and the cards, that is $12000. If you decide to live on nothing, there is no reason why you can’t do $1,000/mo towards everything. Or if you decide you are not ready for school at that point, you can use that to eliminate the larger card and start making arrangements for the defaulted loans. But when you do go back, you have to figure out a way to not borrow another $50,000. You don’t need to borrow $200,000 to qualify for a job that by your own admission pays barely more than retail.

I have always wanted to teach, but I am constantly discouraged from pursuing it by everyone around me due to its financial viability. Towards the end of my academic career I was getting into the Philosophy of Science and Epistemology was tickling my fancy, so in my eyes Philosophy and Physics were a nice match.

I have been listening to Dave Ramsey for a couple months now. My girlfriend's uncle bought her The Total Money Makeover for her birthday last year and I read it in one sitting. I finished with Baby Step 1 and now I am in my debt snowball so I was confused as to what direction to go in regarding my specific situation.

I also live with my girlfriend and we treat it as a roommate situation, so my expenses aren't crazy high. I am unable to move home, because home does not exist anymore. Once my grandmother passed my entire family kind of disintegrated. I am only in contact with my younger sister and everyone else is either in rehab or doesn't give two fucks about each other.

After reading his book and listening to his show I've been seriously considering getting an evening job and basically having no life until I make some headway in getting out of this Retail Rut.

Thank you all very much for the advice, hopefully if I just follow what I am passionate about and ignore "advice" from my friends and co-workers I will be the most badass professor in the world!

unoplank fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 31, 2012

Binary
May 21, 2004
Is there a way to find out if there is student loan interest or tution fees from years prior that I could have deducted from my taxes but never did? This year I claimed student loan interest, tution fees and some other $2500 deduction through turbo tax. I did not know of such deductions until this year, is it possible I missed out on other special student loan interest deductions in year past?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 18, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I bought a car from a good friend of mine around the $10k range and have been depositing money into his account every month. Will this raise a red flag with the bank and/or IRS?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Busy Bee posted:

I bought a car from a good friend of mine around the $10k range and have been depositing money into his account every month. Will this raise a red flag with the bank and/or IRS?

No.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Binary posted:

Is there a way to find out if there is student loan interest or tution fees from years prior that I could have deducted from my taxes but never did? This year I claimed student loan interest, tution fees and some other $2500 deduction through turbo tax. I did not know of such deductions until this year, is it possible I missed out on other special student loan interest deductions in year past?

You might have, but keep in mind that you must pay more than $600 toward interest on the loan in order to claim it on your taxes. You should be able to get your tax information from previous years on your servicer's website. If not, give them a call.

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011

Namirsolo posted:

You might have, but keep in mind that you must pay more than $600 toward interest on the loan in order to claim it on your taxes. You should be able to get your tax information from previous years on your servicer's website. If not, give them a call.

I don't believe you can only deduct interest if you paid over $600 dollars on it. You can claim either the amount of interest you paid on qualifying loans or $2500, which ever is the lesser. The $600 only factors in in that if you paid over $600 in interest on a loan, the lender of the loan is required to send you a Form 1098-E showing how much interest you paid.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456.html

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread, so I'm defaulting with no.

I'm a college student with a modest income from a part-time job and with parents who help me out. For my last year, I want to move off campus and split an apartment with a friend to save money. So far so standard.

I've already rented a room before, so I've seen a standard lease/sublet agreement, and I was somewhat disturbed by the wording. The agreement said that tenants would owe some large sum (1300 a month or some such) in aggregate. Obviously we all paid our share and moved on with our lives, but the way it's worded I understand that if the rest of the tenants simply decide to skip town, I still have to pay 1300 dollars, and either find new roomies, or be obligated for the rest of the lease myself.

Now, I'm sure my friend is not going to gently caress anything up financially, and he has parents that support him too, but just in case, I was wondering if there are any other lease formats besides "people in the house owe X money, and we don't care who pays, but someone will."

Should a financial disaster befall my friend, is there any way for me to protect myself from paying all of the rent if he decides to move for whatever reason?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Not sure about the wording you saw but its standard that all residents are responsible for the total rent. The only time I ever had a lease that explicitly said I was only responsible for my portion was in college, in a college town, with a company that mainly rented to students. We also had to have parents co-sign that they were responsible if their kid didn't pay. This was great because my last roommate turned out to be a deadbeat and a liar who got an eviction notice while we lived there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you are all going to sign one lease it's pretty typical that the landlord is just getting paid, and whether that is by equal amounts from all of you or the full amount from one person doesn't matter.

I have rented a room in a house with a bunch of other students before where this wasn't the case. In that situation, we each had our own lease for the specific amount we were paying for the room (and access to the common areas). If someone moved out, it wasn't anyone else's problem.

This is probably only something you are going to find in areas/people very familiar with student renting. If you and your friends are all coming to a place together at the same time, its also more likely you'll get one lease - in that situation there were seven rooms, people had moved in at different times, and no one really knew each other well prior to renting.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Binary posted:

No matter how you filed your taxes last year, you should have saved a copy of the resulting 1040 for your records. If you did, the quickest way to find out if you did is to just look at it. It will be on the first page on the bottom, perhaps 3/4 of the way down, and there is a specific line that says “student loan interest deduction”. If this line is zero, you can find out how much you paid last year from your lender, and you can file an amendment. An amendment is not hard to do, and if you paid that much last year, it is well worth your time to file it. If you didn’t save a copy, you can request a transcript of your taxes from the IRS.

Binary
May 21, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

No matter how you filed your taxes last year, you should have saved a copy of the resulting 1040 for your records. If you did, the quickest way to find out if you did is to just look at it. It will be on the first page on the bottom, perhaps 3/4 of the way down, and there is a specific line that says “student loan interest deduction”. If this line is zero, you can find out how much you paid last year from your lender, and you can file an amendment. An amendment is not hard to do, and if you paid that much last year, it is well worth your time to file it. If you didn’t save a copy, you can request a transcript of your taxes from the IRS.

Ok, I filed online with the IRS to get my tax return summaries for the past 3 years and have contacted my student loan agencies on how to get past 1098-Es. Will these two pieces of information tell me whether or not I forgot to file past loan interest?

Edit: the IRS will give the last three years back for free, I also need 2006 and 2007 and the (lovely) preparer I previously used claims to not have that information. Also, these are transcripts I am getting, not return copies. Can that be used to file an amendment?

Binary fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 2, 2012

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Binary posted:

Ok, I filed online with the IRS to get my tax return summaries for the past 3 years and have contacted my student loan agencies on how to get past 1098-Es. Will these two pieces of information tell me whether or not I forgot to file past loan interest?

Edit: the IRS will give the last three years back for free, I also need 2006 and 2007 and the (lovely) preparer I previously used claims to not have that information. Also, these are transcripts I am getting, not return copies. Can that be used to file an amendment?

That should be enough, especially if you brought it to a paid tax preparer. Furu in the tax thread does lots of goon returns. No one will do an amendment for free but you are more than welcome to ask what this or that means.

One small point. If you are filing an amendment and are entitled to a refund, you have to do it within 3 years. Otherwise you miss out. Which is unfair because if you owe money they can make you refile as far back as your birth. So 2006 and 2007 you missed out and 2008 is hanging by a wire.

Binary
May 21, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

That should be enough, especially if you brought it to a paid tax preparer. Furu in the tax thread does lots of goon returns. No one will do an amendment for free but you are more than welcome to ask what this or that means.

One small point. If you are filing an amendment and are entitled to a refund, you have to do it within 3 years. Otherwise you miss out. Which is unfair because if you owe money they can make you refile as far back as your birth. So 2006 and 2007 you missed out and 2008 is hanging by a wire.

So I'm SOL on 2006-2008 then? I guess that simplifies things. I was about to send in a form 4506-T by mail to get those years' transcripts but I suppose there's no point now, right?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Binary posted:

So I'm SOL on 2006-2008 then? I guess that simplifies things. I was about to send in a form 4506-T by mail to get those years' transcripts but I suppose there's no point now, right?

You would have filed 2008 in the spring of 2009. You have until April 15 of this year to claim that one, so you need to really get moving for that one. Especially if you need a paid professional to figure it out. They will happily do it on March 1, but on April 13th they will laugh at doing a 2008 ammendment. But 2006 and 2007, yeah you are probably SOL.

Binary
May 21, 2004
I was thinking of converting my emergency fund (10k) into I bonds in yearly 2k increments, so eventually all of it will be in bonds and I can redeem it at any time. Is there a limit to the dollar amount you can electronically redeem at once? The treasury direct site says $1000, more than that and you have to refer to the Treasury Retail Securities Site. My reasoning with the emergency fund is that I should be able to turn it all into cash (all deposits > 1 year of course) with minimal hassles and time. Will this idea work with I bonds?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Binary posted:

I was thinking of converting my emergency fund (10k) into I bonds in yearly 2k increments, so eventually all of it will be in bonds and I can redeem it at any time. Is there a limit to the dollar amount you can electronically redeem at once? The treasury direct site says $1000, more than that and you have to refer to the Treasury Retail Securities Site. My reasoning with the emergency fund is that I should be able to turn it all into cash (all deposits > 1 year of course) with minimal hassles and time. Will this idea work with I bonds?

I know I’m not answering the question you asked, but why are you doing this? Is it for the (slightly) higher interest rate?

If that’s the case, my recommendation is to shop around for the highest yielding savings or money market account, collect the 0.8% interest and leave at that. The purpose of your emergency fund is to not be creative with investing it, it is to turn a crisis into an inconvenience. Or allow you to jump on opportunities when they happen. It is to make sure you never have to live off credit cards and do the game where you are shuffling debt around while you slowly sink. It is to prevent you from being broke, because when people are broke they get tunnel vision, life becomes a perpetual vortex of disaster. Broke, desperate and stupid are all joined at the hip.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Binary posted:

I think 1k limits refer to paper bonds redeemed at local banks in which you do not have an account. Since paper ibonds are no longer offered i believe it is irrelevant.

I think your idea is fine since the 2k annual increments mean you have taken the 1 yr rule into account.

It is tax deferred and inflation protected and has a reasonable early redemption penalty, and redemption only takes a couple days to show up in your bank account. So it is a reasonable strategy IMO.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

80k posted:

I think 1k limits refer to paper bonds redeemed at local banks in which you do not have an account. Since paper ibonds are no longer offered i believe it is irrelevant.

I think your idea is fine since the 2k annual increments mean you have taken the 1 yr rule into account.

It is tax deferred and inflation protected and has a reasonable early redemption penalty, and redemption only takes a couple days to show up in your bank account. So it is a reasonable strategy IMO.

Wow, this seems like a great strategy for a substantial emergency fund (6 - 9 months living expenses or wages). I (like many) have looked at ways to get at least some interest on a emergency fund and ultimately came to the conclusion that you just could not do better then 1% or lower in a FDIC saving account. It looks like investing 20% - 25% of an your emergency fund per year in I bonds would get you at least inflation protection and likely more, surely better then .5% or what ever a bank is paying for the next few years.

In 4 - 5 years you would be fully vested and liquid, the early withdrawal penalties are very small or nothing if you wait long enough you would only tie up 20% - 25% of your efund at a time. You could leave it for 30 years until you retire.

I guess I am off to by some I bonds. Heck, I can cover the missing 25% of my efund with cash I have in a "buy a car" account I started a while ago if anything came up in the next 12 months that required more then 75% of my emergency fund.

This sounds almost to good, I am missing anything? Looks like some folks on Bogleheads do this, does anyone here? I am surprised it is not recommended more, unless I am missing something.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

spandexcajun posted:

Wow, this seems like a great strategy for a substantial emergency fund (6 - 9 months living expenses or wages). I (like many) have looked at ways to get at least some interest on a emergency fund and ultimately came to the conclusion that you just could not do better then 1% or lower in a FDIC saving account. It looks like investing 20% - 25% of an your emergency fund per year in I bonds would get you at least inflation protection and likely more, surely better then .5% or what ever a bank is paying for the next few years.

In 4 - 5 years you would be fully vested and liquid, the early withdrawal penalties are very small or nothing if you wait long enough you would only tie up 20% - 25% of your efund at a time. You could leave it for 30 years until you retire.

I guess I am off to by some I bonds. Heck, I can cover the missing 25% of my efund with cash I have in a "buy a car" account I started a while ago if anything came up in the next 12 months that required more then 75% of my emergency fund.

This sounds almost to good, I am missing anything? Looks like some folks on Bogleheads do this, does anyone here? I am surprised it is not recommended more, unless I am missing something.

you've got it right. if you know all the rules and have a good plan, I say go for it. "Too good to be true" given the current fixed rate of 0% may be an exaggeration, but in some way, you are right. 5 yr TIPS are in very negative territory and even 10 yr TIPS are slightly negative. So I Bonds are mispriced relative to marketable securities, and a benefit to the small investor.

Binary
May 21, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I know I’m not answering the question you asked, but why are you doing this? Is it for the (slightly) higher interest rate?

If that’s the case, my recommendation is to shop around for the highest yielding savings or money market account, collect the 0.8% interest and leave at that. The purpose of your emergency fund is to not be creative with investing it, it is to turn a crisis into an inconvenience. Or allow you to jump on opportunities when they happen. It is to make sure you never have to live off credit cards and do the game where you are shuffling debt around while you slowly sink. It is to prevent you from being broke, because when people are broke they get tunnel vision, life becomes a perpetual vortex of disaster. Broke, desperate and stupid are all joined at the hip.

I understand your reasoning, that's why I gave up on any efforts to squeeze any profit off my e fund until I heard about I bonds. Here's what I plan on doing: designate 10k to be my e fund, get 12k in my ING account, then start with the yearly 2k deposits, that way I will always have 10k immediately accessible. They can't lose value, so I don't see any downsides to this plan.

Edit: The treasury direct site says I bonds have 0% fixed interest right now, but an inflation interest of 1.53%, so the compound interest is 3.06%. Does this mean the same thing as 3.6% APY? Because that's pretty good as far as I can tell. Even high value long term CDs don't have that rate right now, if I'm understanding CDs rates correctly. I'm assuming a CD rate of say 1% means 1% APY for each year you keep the CD. If that's true the I bonds seem to be a clear winner with the 1 year before withdrawal date.

Binary fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 3, 2012

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I have been doing some thinking lately and I think it is time to file for bankruptcy.
I guess I'll spit out all my details:

Credit card debt: $11,200
Hospital & doctor debt: $6,800. Ballpark estimate, I get so many statements I lost track.
Sent to collections: $350

Income: full-time $10.50/hr, just the best job I can get right now. Though it is 60 miles away (120 miles each day), which adds up to $15/day in gas..

Every week my money just disappears to stay where I am. Just miscellaneous poo poo I have to pay for on top of my debt (license plate stickers, car tune-ups, legal fees, whatever comes up).

I have almost no assets. I was robbed twice in 3 months and literally left only with the clothes on my back (had to borrow furniture, a computer, etc). The only thing I have is my car, worth maybe $6000.

I guess my questions are:
-How much does the bankruptcy process cost? Lawyers and court fees included and all. I am estimating $2000, which I can probably scrap together in a month with my tax return coming in and assuming I don't have to pay in one lump sum.
-Would I have to make payments on my car to keep it? Only own one car and I need it for work.

SCUBADOOBADOO
Feb 4, 2012
Hi Meta,

I will let someone more knowledgeable than I am address the bankruptcy cost questions - but can you post your credit card interest rate? I think it might be inevitable if it's a high rate given your income and commute expenses.

Even if you do declare banktruptcy, I think your employment situation needs serious further consideration. Will you ever be able to move closer to work or ditch the car and get a job within walking distance. I assume not but worth asking.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

SCUBADOOBADOO posted:

Hi Meta,

I will let someone more knowledgeable than I am address the bankruptcy cost questions - but can you post your credit card interest rate? I think it might be inevitable if it's a high rate given your income and commute expenses.

Even if you do declare banktruptcy, I think your employment situation needs serious further consideration. Will you ever be able to move closer to work or ditch the car and get a job within walking distance. I assume not but worth asking.

14.24% on CC#1 ($8200), about $95 interest accumulation per month and $185 min payment
24.24% on CC#2 ($3000), about $55 interest & $90 min payment

I quit my job and moved in November (the job I had at the time was even worse, a minimum wage job) due to a lot of poo poo that went down. And yeah, I am looking into moving closer to work. I just want to fix up my financial situation a bit before I start paying rent again. I'd never get rid of my car though even if work was within walking/biking distance.

I would love to find a job nearby, the cost of living here (Greeley, CO) is much lower than where my work is (Boulder). It is just that out of 50+ applications, even for lovely minimum wage retail jobs, I got 2 interviews. And out of 2 interviews, I got the job in Boulder. It took nearly 2 months to get that job too. If curious, it is a tech support/call center job and after a year of experience, I am thinking I might be able to find a higher paying help desk job closer by. Most pay $13.50/hr around here for the type of work I do, but I had literally 0 experience and no college degree so I am happy I even have this job.

Binary
May 21, 2004
What's the exemption for reporting savings account interest on US taxes? I've never received a 1099 from the bank, but I also don't think I've made more than $10 a year in interest ever. Am I in the clear?

Edit: I was reading up on credit card reward taxes and am not clear on the issue either. It seems that cash back on a rewards card is tax exempt, but a bonus for opening the card can be taxed. I opened up a card that paid a $150 bonus for spening $1000 in the first month, is this taxable or not?

Binary fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 4, 2012

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Binary posted:

What's the exemption for reporting savings account interest on US taxes? I've never received a 1099 from the bank, but I also don't think I've made more than $10 a year in interest ever. Am I in the clear?

Report all interest from your savings account, regardless of whether you get a 1099.

Binary
May 21, 2004

80k posted:

Report all interest from your savings account, regardless of whether you get a 1099.

Well crap, I have never done that. Am I supposed to add up the interest manually from April 15th of this year to April 15th of next year for next years's taxes? What will happen from not having done so in years past, albeit for a small amount?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Binary posted:

Well crap, I have never done that. Am I supposed to add up the interest manually from April 15th of this year to April 15th of next year for next years's taxes? What will happen from not having done so in years past, albeit for a small amount?

Relax. Nothing will happen. Just put year end total interest as of end of 2011 for your bank account. Your bank should have it even if no 1099 is generated. I would not worry about previous years.

Binary
May 21, 2004

80k posted:

Relax. Nothing will happen. Just put year end total interest as of end of 2011 for your bank account. Your bank should have it even if no 1099 is generated. I would not worry about previous years.

Cool then, I had no idea to do that until today. Will doing this actually increase my taxable income or is it more to cover your butt in case an audit happens?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Binary posted:

Cool then, I had no idea to do that until today. Will doing this actually increase my taxable income or is it more to cover your butt in case an audit happens?

Yes interest is considered taxable income. It clearly makes little difference in this case if it was so low that a 1099 was not sent. So you may pay a few extra bucks in taxes.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Meta Ridley posted:

14.24% on CC#1 ($8200), about $95 interest accumulation per month and $185 min payment
24.24% on CC#2 ($3000), about $55 interest & $90 min payment

I quit my job and moved in November (the job I had at the time was even worse, a minimum wage job) due to a lot of poo poo that went down. And yeah, I am looking into moving closer to work. I just want to fix up my financial situation a bit before I start paying rent again. I'd never get rid of my car though even if work was within walking/biking distance.

I would love to find a job nearby, the cost of living here (Greeley, CO) is much lower than where my work is (Boulder). It is just that out of 50+ applications, even for lovely minimum wage retail jobs, I got 2 interviews. And out of 2 interviews, I got the job in Boulder. It took nearly 2 months to get that job too. If curious, it is a tech support/call center job and after a year of experience, I am thinking I might be able to find a higher paying help desk job closer by. Most pay $13.50/hr around here for the type of work I do, but I had literally 0 experience and no college degree so I am happy I even have this job.

Meta,

A few months ago your situation was the same and you had a similar question. I told you to stop paying the credit cards and concentrate on eating and getting your health back. Have you stopped paying them? Your problem is not that you have bad credit, or that your debt is ridiculously huge. Your problem is that you have no money, your health is uncertain, and you are being stretched too thin. Bankruptcy will cost a couple thousand dollars and not solve any of your problems. Your credit is the least thing you need to worry about. There is nothing you can do to make it good enough to qualify for the jobs that require good credit, you are not in the position to get any more loans and you will not be opening up any new accounts. Do you qualify for food stamps or any type of assistance?

Yes, you do have to make car loan payments if you declare bankruptcy. Otherwise you have to give the car back. What kind of car do you drive and how much do you owe on it? What are your payments?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have a question about credit reports. In May of 2005 I was late on a student loan payment for no other reason than the fact that I was bad at remembering to pay bills. The annoying thing is that I had three accounts through AES (subsidized, non-subsidized, and one rolled over from Sallie Mae). Since it was one payment, I have three accounts that show up on the credit report as late in May of 2005. I refinanced these accounts in 2007 so they show as closed in 2007.

I didn't fight it back then because I figured it was my cross to bear and maybe it would remind me to stop being so stupid about sending checks. But, it's still there. When can I expect that to disappear from my report? If never, can I call and try to work something out with AES?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Meta,

A few months ago your situation was the same and you had a similar question. I told you to stop paying the credit cards and concentrate on eating and getting your health back. Have you stopped paying them? Your problem is not that you have bad credit, or that your debt is ridiculously huge. Your problem is that you have no money, your health is uncertain, and you are being stretched too thin. Bankruptcy will cost a couple thousand dollars and not solve any of your problems. Your credit is the least thing you need to worry about. There is nothing you can do to make it good enough to qualify for the jobs that require good credit, you are not in the position to get any more loans and you will not be opening up any new accounts. Do you qualify for food stamps or any type of assistance?

Yes, you do have to make car loan payments if you declare bankruptcy. Otherwise you have to give the car back. What kind of car do you drive and how much do you owe on it? What are your payments?
Back then I had no job at all, so my situation has changed a bit. The debt figures are roughly the same though. My current living situation isn't too bad actually, I have money for food. It is just that I'm sure my sister doesn't want me living here forever, I've been here two months now and just want to concentrate on getting back on my feet, and part of what is holding me back is my debt.

I don't believe I qualify for assistance (My job adds up to $1450/month). It isn't a ton of money but I think it would be enough to get by on my own again if I lived closer to my job. But like I sad, with an $8000 balance on one of my cards I would be very worried they would garnish my wages if I just stopped paying on it.

It isn't my credit rating I am worried about right now, I've accepted it is trashed and will be for years. It is the debt itself, those CCs have like $150 combined interest, and around $300 minimum payment (and of course you can't pay the minimum and pay it off anytime soon). One idea I have is to just pay off the $3000 24% card over the next 6 months, but if I am spending thousands of my income on that it seems like I might as well just get a bankruptcy. Though I wonder if technically since I am able to pay my bills while living with my sister, I wouldn't qualify for bankruptcy?

Healthwise, you are right. That is what got me into this hole, and until I am stable I will just end up with more and more debt.

My car is paid off, it is a 2000 Honda Accord worth maybe $5500. Never had a loan for it, it is the car I bought straight-up with cash after receiving my insurance claim from my accident.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It was Walley World :colbert:

Seriously, I’m sure you are fine. If you only have paid for loans on your credit and everything was always in good standing , you already have good credit. That is why Chase instantly approved you. A monkey could approve you. By having a mix of credit, i.e. loans and revolving credit, your credit will be slightly better, but that is a very minor aspect of your credit compared to payment history and utilization. It is true that if you go 6 months without using a card, it doesn’t report as an active account, so the reporting doesn’t factor in the same way, so if you are going to get it, you might as well use it at some level, but you certainly don’t have to max it out, carry a balance, or pay it off slowly over time.

As a reminder, if you are going for a large ticket item like a house or a car, having credit is only part of what a responsible lender looks at. They should also be looking at your income in relation to your expenses, and for a house, your assets, savings, investments, and down payment.

I am a bit late on this response, but thank you for the guidance. I sincerely appreciate it.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Meta Ridley posted:

Back then I had no job at all, so my situation has changed a bit. The debt figures are roughly the same though. My current living situation isn't too bad actually, I have money for food. It is just that I'm sure my sister doesn't want me living here forever, I've been here two months now and just want to concentrate on getting back on my feet, and part of what is holding me back is my debt.

I don't believe I qualify for assistance (My job adds up to $1450/month). It isn't a ton of money but I think it would be enough to get by on my own again if I lived closer to my job. But like I sad, with an $8000 balance on one of my cards I would be very worried they would garnish my wages if I just stopped paying on it.

It isn't my credit rating I am worried about right now, I've accepted it is trashed and will be for years. It is the debt itself, those CCs have like $150 combined interest, and around $300 minimum payment (and of course you can't pay the minimum and pay it off anytime soon). One idea I have is to just pay off the $3000 24% card over the next 6 months, but if I am spending thousands of my income on that it seems like I might as well just get a bankruptcy. Though I wonder if technically since I am able to pay my bills while living with my sister, I wouldn't qualify for bankruptcy?

Healthwise, you are right. That is what got me into this hole, and until I am stable I will just end up with more and more debt.

My car is paid off, it is a 2000 Honda Accord worth maybe $5500. Never had a loan for it, it is the car I bought straight-up with cash after receiving my insurance claim from my accident.

Since you don’t have a loan on your car, no one has a right to take it back through the bankruptcy due to their status as a lienholder. Every state is different, but I imagine Colorado law allows its citizens to keep a car when they declare bankruptcy. Your car is old enough I don’t see any point in selling it and taking the cash to trade down in car either.

But I just don’t see the point of bankruptcy. If you can stabilize your health, career, and living situation, you will be fine. Your debt might hold you back in the future, when it does you will take care of it. You will be able to settle all this stuff for pennies on the dollar, and have the income to do so with ease. If one of the credit card’s sues you, if they get a judgment against you, and the court garnishes your wages, and you are still fighting hard to barely survive, at that point you will be cornered into a bankruptcy, but all that is theoretical. We are talking years before that happens. They can charge you 30% interest if they want, but that doesn’t matter if you don’t pay it. In the meantime it is not a priority.

You can do what you want, but if I were you, I would not use my last $3000 to pay the smaller credit card, I would not use it to pay for a bankruptcy attorney. I would open a bank account that none of your creditors have electronic access to, don’t pay any bills creditors, thank your sister for her generosity, do a lot of reading, save as much as you can and realize that you are in the middle of an emergency. Get yourself stable so you can move closer to work when your welcome does wear out, and you won’t be behind the 8 ball when you have to. In a couple years if one of the cards sues you, then hopefully you will have the cash on hand to kill it, but I don’t think you spend $2000 that you barely have for a bankruptcy attorney for what might happen.

Zeta Taskforce fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 6, 2012

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Erwin posted:

I didn't fight it back then because I figured it was my cross to bear and maybe it would remind me to stop being so stupid about sending checks. But, it's still there. When can I expect that to disappear from my report? If never, can I call and try to work something out with AES?
Unless I misunderstood, it will disappear in May 2012.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a reason for me, a 24 year old unmarried female with no home ownership nor children and no immediate plans for children, to look into life insurance?

My boyfriend's friend just got a job as a life insurance salesman or something and bullied his way into an "appointment" with us in our home tomorrow evening. I won't be buying from him regardless because I can't stand the guy, but I was just wondering if it's something I should even look into yet. I haven't even finished paying off my relatively small student loans (1 year out and have paid about 5k of the 10k) nor have I started any sort of retirement fund (It took me a year out of college to get a job, and I've only been at this place for a month. I qualify for their 401K starting in July and plan to opt for close to the highest percent while I've got no mortgage or kids to spend it on)

Same question, but for my boyfriend (same situation but 1 year of steady employment at his parents' business and maybe 5k more in loans left than me. No retirement fund). Should he bother, either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

drat Bananas posted:

Is there a reason for me, a 24 year old unmarried female with no home ownership nor children and no immediate plans for children, to look into life insurance?

My boyfriend's friend just got a job as a life insurance salesman or something and bullied his way into an "appointment" with us in our home tomorrow evening. I won't be buying from him regardless because I can't stand the guy, but I was just wondering if it's something I should even look into yet. I haven't even finished paying off my relatively small student loans (1 year out and have paid about 5k of the 10k) nor have I started any sort of retirement fund (It took me a year out of college to get a job, and I've only been at this place for a month. I qualify for their 401K starting in July and plan to opt for close to the highest percent while I've got no mortgage or kids to spend it on)

Same question, but for my boyfriend (same situation but 1 year of steady employment at his parents' business and maybe 5k more in loans left than me. No retirement fund). Should he bother, either?

Unless there is something unusual that you didn’t mention, no, you don’t need life insurance. He doesn’t either. Some would say that you should at least have enough to bury you should you pass, but even then, many employers offer plans as part of their benefit package that does exactly that, pays out a few thousand dollars upon your death. They can offer it because it probably costs them practically nothing. If you or he really wants, you can buy a half million, 20 year term policy, for the price of a pizza.

I wouldn’t walk away from your boyfriends friend, I would run. Unless he was trying to sell you whole life, then you should punch him in the gut first. Seriously, he is doing real harm to his customers and manipulating their emotions to sell them a piece of crap. (He probably is selling whole life, that is where the fat commissions are). Tell him that you will buy term insurance when you need it, in the meantime you will do your investing within retirement plans and you won’t do it within his crappy, high fee insurance policy that he is making a monster commission on.

I hope I was clear :)