Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

:stare:

Can you... can you fill it with cars?

I can! The problem is, there are no dead ends. They'd just be appearing in the middle of the road, and drive around until the road gets completely clogged.

m5ind posted:

:catstare: Holy hell man. Exactly how long did this take?

And how well does traffic flow on it, I must know...

Hmm, 5 hours and 20 minutes, give or take 10 minutes. I am VERY quick with VISSIM; a consultant would bill a week or so for the same thing.

IOwnCalculus posted:

THE SPICE CARS MUST FLOW!

That's beautiful.

May as well go whole-hog and ram the thing full of cars. I won't be able to get any meaningful numbers for you guys, but hey, I can get some pretty pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, no kidding! That's how we justify spending tens of millions on guard rail improvements. Heck, even rumble strips have a 50:1 benefit:cost ratio.

:aaaaa: aside, those numbers seem pretty bullshit

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Mandalay posted:

slow down

They actually mean you have a pedestrian crossing ahead, but your answer is technically right.

"Slow down so you don't plaster granny Beryl over your hood and catapult her walker into oncoming traffic."

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

:aaaaa: aside, those numbers seem pretty bullshit

If you're talking about the costs associated with accidents, those are quite solid. My internet's going at a crawl now, so I grabbed the first source I could find from the FHWA, and:

code:
SEVERITY 	DESCRIPTOR 	COST PER INJURY
                                (1994 DOLLARS)
AIS 1 	          Minor 	5,000
AIS 2 	          Moderate 	40,000
AIS 3 	          Serious 	150,000
AIS 4 	          Severe 	490,000
AIS 5 	          Critical 	1,980,000
AIS 6 	          Fatal 	2,600,000
Those are in 1994 dollars, so the actual costs are almost exactly $4M for a fatality now.

Rumble strips cost 24 cents per foot to install. That's $1300/mile, and they last as long as the pavement, say ten years. Anyone who lives near rumble strips will tell you they get run over several times a day. If even one of those in that ten year period wakes someone up and prevents a single-vehicle accident, you're averting at least several thousand dollars in car damage and, more likely, an injury.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Out of curiosity, those are costs to whom? The state, the drivers involved, insurance companies?

If it's the state, I'd assume it's via some sort of liability theory or simply the legal costs of defending a suit?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Arcturas posted:

Out of curiosity, those are costs to whom? The state, the drivers involved, insurance companies?

If it's the state, I'd assume it's via some sort of liability theory or simply the legal costs of defending a suit?
The state doesn't, or at least shouldn't, look at these issues as an involved agent seeking to minimize it's costs because the state is ultimately a body of citizens, not an organization separate from them.

Hence these sort of figures include all costs on the state economy. The medical expenses imposed on the insurer or injured person and the vehicle repairs are a net loss to the economy because they're broken window exchanges. Resources used to patch up cars and people could be used somewhere else in a manner that resulted in greater satisfaction to the general populace, so utility is lost in accidents. In addition, the productivity of people involved in accidents is usually decreased to a varying degree, which also results in an opportunity cost.

The configuration of payers isn't important in the calculation. What matters is how much are we willing (and able) to pony up to keep people alive and uninjured. In other places, that's not a lot of money.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The configuration of payers isn't important in the calculation. What matters is how much are we willing (and able) to pony up to keep people alive and uninjured. In other places, that's not a lot of money.

Wow, that India road is something. It's amazing how dangerous a seemingly well-built 4-lane divided highway can be without proper traffic management.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Or any basic common sense by its users.

I almost ran over an idiot skateboarder the other day, who was wearing all black and skating in the middle of the road at midnight on a Saturday. loving moron would have deserved it. I yelled at him to get the gently caress out of the road and he started laughing at me - laughing at me - and yelled back that "the roads are for everyone, duuu-uuude!"

It was about that time I considered circling the block and giving him another pass. Maybe just pop him with my mirror... These are the fantasies I have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People have no idea how invisible they are on roads at night, even well lit roads. Unless you're wearing reflective safety poo poo, you are invisible.

The worst is when someone wearing black, at night, illegally crossing the street at a blind corner or something sees you coming, then just goes back to slowly crossing. loving SCOOT, move!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Chaos Motor posted:

Or any basic common sense by its users.
That's a pretty racist statement. Think about that for a while.

Indian traffic is just a powerful example of game theory. In the absence of enforcement, breaking the traffic rules gets you where you want to be quicker and cheaper than following the rules, regardless of what other people chose to do. It's therefore said to be a dominant strategy. Hence everyone will start breaking the rules until you end up with what you saw in that clip. It's obvious that it's not a Pareto-optimal situation since the traffic devolves into chaos, but that's why we've allowed the government to allocate a good deal of resources to enforcement of traffic rules in most western countries.

India's highways are a place of anarchic libertarianism, not because Indians are stupid, but because the Indian government has more pressing priorities than enforcing traffic laws and improving highways.

Baronjutter posted:

People have no idea how invisible they are on roads at night, even well lit roads. Unless you're wearing reflective safety poo poo, you are invisible.
There was an article recently about a safety reflector manufacturer here in Finland being puzzled by the fact that they'd started receiving orders from places like Ghana, Gabon, the DRC and Uganda, far from their traditional markets in Finland, Sweden and Russia. Then it dawned on them that night falls fast in equatorial Africa and it gets seriously dark because there is so little road lighting. Judging by how few people still use one, there seems to be untapped growth potential for cheap trinkets that increase your visibility on the road by several orders of magnitude.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That's a pretty racist statement. Think about that for a while.

Is it still racist if my Indian girlfriend, born and raised in Hyderabad AP, agrees with me? Or if I point out that it's not "Indians" lacking in common sense, it's anyone who decides that, oh, my vehicle broke down, so I'll fix it here in the traffic lane, while scattering tools and parts across the next lane, at night, without any lighting whatsoever, is lacking common sense and directly endangering themselves and others?

If someone posted a video of Saudis "sandal skating" around the ring road of Riyadh, and I said that was lacking in common sense, would I now be 'racist' against Saudis? What if I include the link my buddy Ahmed of Jerrah sent me where he said that it's "stupid" and "dangerous" but lots of Saudi teens do it?

Think about that for a while.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Hey Cichlidae it looks like some guys down in Kentucky figured out how to get some of that glorious bridge replacement money, you should look into it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How the gently caress does that happen...

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Looks like the ship was in the wrong channel. Someone screwed up pretty badly.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

Another day, another 8 hours in VISSIM. I've put together 3 different alternatives for the interchange, plus a joke option I called "The Nuclear Option" where I just jammed all the traffic into one wide road for a mile, and a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI).
Do it. gently caress everyone else's opinions.

Cichlidae posted:

If you're talking about the costs associated with accidents, those are quite solid. My internet's going at a crawl now, so I grabbed the first source I could find from the FHWA, and:

code:
SEVERITY 	DESCRIPTOR 	COST PER INJURY
                                (1994 DOLLARS)
AIS 1 	          Minor 	5,000
AIS 2 	          Moderate 	40,000
AIS 3 	          Serious 	150,000
AIS 4 	          Severe 	490,000
AIS 5 	          Critical 	1,980,000
AIS 6 	          Fatal 	2,600,000
Those are in 1994 dollars, so the actual costs are almost exactly $4M for a fatality now.

Rumble strips cost 24 cents per foot to install. That's $1300/mile, and they last as long as the pavement, say ten years. Anyone who lives near rumble strips will tell you they get run over several times a day. If even one of those in that ten year period wakes someone up and prevents a single-vehicle accident, you're averting at least several thousand dollars in car damage and, more likely, an injury.
The EPA says one life is worth $6.3M :colbert:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Baronjutter posted:

How the gently caress does that happen...

Indian helmsman. :downsrim:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Hey Cichlidae it looks like some guys down in Kentucky figured out how to get some of that glorious bridge replacement money, you should look into it.

Those bridge supports were too old to be trusted so the helpful ship captain decided to use his own ship to hold up the bridge.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Chaos Motor posted:

Is it still racist if my Indian girlfriend, born and raised in Hyderabad AP, agrees with me? Or if I point out that it's not "Indians" lacking in common sense, it's anyone who decides that, oh, my vehicle broke down, so I'll fix it here in the traffic lane, while scattering tools and parts across the next lane, at night, without any lighting whatsoever, is lacking common sense and directly endangering themselves and others?
The way you worded it did make it come off much worse than you meant. But no, it's not really so much about common sense than education. There is a reason primary schools have police officers come over and teach the kids to look stop look and listen, not jaywalk etc. and that's because people are hilariously bad at assessing risks. So bad, that trainsurfing is a thing. That's why schools also put a lot of emphasis on instilling the idea that people who break traffic rules are stupid. Being seen as a moron is a much greater deterrent than mortal danger, which is why the city of Bogotá, Colombia, hired 420 mimes to mock jaywalkers and reckless drivers. Traffic fatalities fell 50%.

I'm told by a friend who comes from Bangalore that most drivers in India obtain driver's licenses by sending a brown envelope to the next state and getting a driver's license in return mail, so obviously driver's education has plenty of room for improvement. But it's been demonstrated several times that even professionals need constant reminders that you shouldn't muck about on the road all nilly-willy.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ah, Mahmoud, the world's most famous traffic engineer :) That sort of thing happens around here, if rarely. A decade or so ago, The Big Red Boat dropped anchor in Narragansett Bay and ripped out a huge underwater cable to Jamestown. Oops.

GWBBQ posted:

The EPA says one life is worth $6.3M :colbert:

Interesting! I wonder what the discrepancy between federal agencies is. Probably because the FHWA numbers are from the 80s and just adjusted upward for inflation.

Volmarias posted:

Those bridge supports were too old to be trusted so the helpful ship captain decided to use his own ship to hold up the bridge.

Gotta be honest, that's what I thought when I looked at the first picture. "Oh, they must have gotten funding for creative bridge demolition!"

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Being seen as a moron is a much greater deterrent than mortal danger, which is why the city of Bogotá, Colombia, hired 420 mimes to mock jaywalkers and reckless drivers. Traffic fatalities fell 50%.

Oh man, I've got to spread this idea around at work. There's very little that would make my career more worthwhile than instituting Connecticut's first Dissing Mimes program.

----

While I'm waiting for this video to render, let's stir the pot with a couple more news items:

Medical marijuana laws are resulting in a significant decrease in traffic deaths.

And something a bit more covert, the Governor's setting up a task force to study the feasibility of congestion tolling on I-95 south of New Haven and on I-84 in Hartford.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
For those who wanted to see what it looks like when I stick vehicles in this:

I gave it a shot. Cars head out in 4 directions from the central intersection (the one with the buildings), at a rate of 10,000 per hour per link. The whole network got progressively jammed up, as expected, since there's really nowhere for them to go.

After 3600 seconds (1 hour), there were 8400 cars in the network. Here's a quick show of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILoSeGUmnQ

There was originally sound, too, but no video site would accept that version for some reason.

So there you have it, Goonville. Sorry I couldn't get more footage, but I had quite a bit of work to do today, and to email all the .AVIs home, they had to be in <5MB segments.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OK that last 10 seconds is pretty phenomenal, thanks that's fascinating!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Reminds me of when a barge hit a bridge on I-40 in Oklahoma. Fourteen people died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

ConfusedUs posted:

Reminds me of when a barge hit a bridge on I-40 in Oklahoma. Fourteen people died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster

To prevent similar accidents here, our piers tend to be either huge, or protected by walls. Like so: http://binged.it/zQxuLi

(By the way, I loved the thread your custom title's from, and your contributions thereto!)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cichlidae posted:

To prevent similar accidents here, our piers tend to be either huge, or protected by walls. Like so: http://binged.it/zQxuLi

(By the way, I loved the thread your custom title's from, and your contributions thereto!)

Those walls are cool.

And I haven't had a good gaming group since those days. Every other group I've found has been totally unsuitable in every way.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Alright, here's my challenge. From Lynn, MA:

Google Maps

When turning left from Essex St onto Central Ave, the small turn you make is signalized, with a sign instructing you to turn left on red. I have never seen such a thing elsewhere.

Fun fact: See Brothers Deli in the bottom right? It's one of several Brothers in Massachusetts, all both similar and completely unrelated except by name. Not bad for greasy spoon fare.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I moved to go back to school, to what's pretty much a college town. 113k people in the city itself.

However, using I-35E is an absolute nightmare. It's 2 lanes each way in most of the city, with suicide on/off ramps. You get all of a couple of hundred feet to get up to highway speed while going around a ramp with sharp (for those speeds) curves; likewise for exiting.

The worst is the exit by the mall. Pretty much whenever the sun is up, the southbound exit ramp is backed up all the way to the highway. They recently redesigned the road to be 6 lanes total (used to be 2), but getting NE of the highway (or working your way back) is an absolute nightmare. It's bumper to bumper from about noon to 7pm around there.

Here's a Google Maps image of the area. Most people on the exit ramp leave enough room for people that are going for the u-turn lane; a lot of people (myself included) do a u-turn and cut over to Colorado Blvd to bypass most of it.

What could be done to improve traffic flow? Most of the traffic from 35 south is trying to go NE, and vice versa. (click for big)

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Airconswitch posted:

Google Maps

When turning left from Essex St onto Central Ave, the small turn you make is signalized, with a sign instructing you to turn left on red. I have never seen such a thing elsewhere.

Fun fact: See Brothers Deli in the bottom right? It's one of several Brothers in Massachusetts, all both similar and completely unrelated except by name. Not bad for greasy spoon fare.
In MA, you can always turn left on red when both streets are one-way. I definitely remember learning that in drivers ed. It happens quite a bit in Boston, as you might expect with all the one-way streets. Can someone from outside MA comment?

I remember hearing (probably in this thread) that people from other countries who come here get freaked out by right-on-red, thinking that people are just running lights nonstop.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Large Hardon Collider posted:

In MA, you can always turn left on red when both streets are one-way. I definitely remember learning that in drivers ed. It happens quite a bit in Boston, as you might expect with all the one-way streets. Can someone from outside MA comment?

Same in CA, but at least around here half the people don't seem to know it. There's only one intersection of two one-ways in town (that I can think of, anyway) and I'm constantly getting stuck behind some idiot who is just waiting for the light to turn green. That goes double for the outer/rightmost left turn lane (there are two). Lots of people don't seem to understand you can turn right on red from ANY dedicated right turn lane, and combining that with left on red would probably make their heads explode if they thought about it.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Large Hardon Collider posted:

I remember hearing (probably in this thread) that people from other countries who come here get freaked out by right-on-red, thinking that people are just running lights nonstop.

Left turn at a one way to a one way (right direction, of course) is fine here in Ontario, too. I freaked out my buddy doing this a while back. We're from a relatively small town in rural Northern Ontario (150k, the biggest city in Northern Ontario), and he'd never come across it. Hell, we only have like 4 one ways in the whole city.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Haha at least one third of of the Dutch freeway network is jammed up right now. Four inches of snow!!!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, that's preferable over the '95 floods at least :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Choadmaster posted:

Same in CA, but at least around here half the people don't seem to know it. There's only one intersection of two one-ways in town (that I can think of, anyway) and I'm constantly getting stuck behind some idiot who is just waiting for the light to turn green. That goes double for the outer/rightmost left turn lane (there are two). Lots of people don't seem to understand you can turn right on red from ANY dedicated right turn lane, and combining that with left on red would probably make their heads explode if they thought about it.

It's one of the trick questions they give you on the driver's tests. It sure gets you to remember it, oddly enough.

You can turn right on red so long as there's no sign disallowing it (or in one other special case that's escaping me at the moment).

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

kefkafloyd posted:

It's one of the trick questions they give you on the driver's tests. It sure gets you to remember it, oddly enough.

You can turn right on red so long as there's no sign disallowing it (or in one other special case that's escaping me at the moment).

If the road to the right is one-way the wrong way. :)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Airconswitch posted:

Google Maps

There's not too much you'd be able to do there, because of the limited footprint. The existing condition isn't terrible, though they could've done a better job channelizing the Franklin Street terminus. Looking closer, that's probably thanks to the statue on that island. Can't really touch that stuff.

some texas redneck posted:

What could be done to improve traffic flow?

Now you, on the other hand, have a lot of space to work with. Slap a flyover in there.

I did some other minor improvements to help out with weaving, too. Sure, a flyover is kind of overkill, but this is Texas. Expect it to be built within the next 5 years.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm not sure exactly what they were trying to do here, but I think they did it wrong:

quote:

London's first "shared space" road is costing nearly £800 every working day to clean while council bosses cut street cleansing elsewhere, it emerged today.

The £29 million redesign of Exhibition Road in Kensington - home to the Victoria & Albert Museum, Natural History Museum and Science Museum - allows drivers and pedestrians to mix freely on a high-grade Chinese granite surface.

Kensington & Chelsea council undertook the project because it considered the old layout to be "unfriendly" for the 11 million annual visitors.

Many tourists back the redesign, but black cab drivers say they are less confident about driving on it.

Maintenance teams have been seen cleaning off chewing gum and skid marks left on the granite bricks by cars stopping sharply.

The council confirmed an extra £200,000 is being spent on "additional costs of Exhibition Road cleansing", while its budget states £336,000 is being cut from its overall street cleaning budget.

Gordon Taylor, chairman of West London Residents Association, who has a PhD in concrete engineering, said: "The Chinese granite they chose stains very easily and it's very dusty. You get oil leakage from the cars and grease, and also the chewing gum."

Steve McNamara, of the Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association, said: "The road surface seems slipperier than most and by the looks of the marks on the road people are having to brake quite harshly."

Slippery road surface plus pedestrians = awesome idea.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Millstone posted:

If the road to the right is one-way the wrong way. :)

Well, duh, hence my response about the trick question. :P No, it had something to do with pedestrians or something. It's kind of esoteric.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phanatic posted:

Slippery road surface plus pedestrians = awesome idea.

Welcome to Korea, where some sidewalks are so slippery they shine in the light and sidewalks are also roads and parking lots. I wonder why they ever thought that was a good idea.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I live on a road just off a rotary. I got a call last night from someone trying to find my house and she said, "I am on the rotary, do I take a right?" to which I replied, "You have to, or else you'll never escape..."

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Elendil004 posted:

I live on a road just off a rotary. I got a call last night from someone trying to find my house and she said, "I am on the rotary, do I take a right?" to which I replied, "You have to, or else you'll never escape..."

I've got to try setting up a no-exit roundabout one of these days, just to see how people react. Someplace low-volume. I'd just stand there, cones blocking the exits, waving people around for one victory lap after another...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elendil004 posted:

Where are you from? Here they call roundabouts rotaries, and no one I've talked to has ever heard of that anywhere else. We figured it was some weird Korean mistranslation but now I'm wondering if they took it from where you live.