Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

I'm using H&R Block's online tax software and I'm trying to report my stock losses for the year, which as I understand it goes on Schedule D. Unfortunately I can't find that form listed anywhere. I'm using the basic free edition and I think I might need the Deluxe edition for that, but I can't figure out how to upgrade or ask a simple question without having to pay for it. Anyone know what's up?

Have no idea how your software works, but look for Form 8949 input (detail goes here, then pulled onto Sch. D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

AbbiTheDog posted:

Have no idea how your software works, but look for Form 8949 input (detail goes here, then pulled onto Sch. D)

:suicide:

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

furushotakeru posted:

:suicide:

hey here's my printout from Etrade with all the basis information, that's okay right? I mean half of it says UNKNOWN but you're a CPA you can figure it out. okay bye!!!

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

hey here's my printout from Etrade with all the basis information, that's okay right? I mean half of it says UNKNOWN but you're a CPA you can figure it out. okay bye!!!

:bang:

PS totally not a CPA so there :v:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

illcendiary posted:

Well, I got a little overeager with filing my return this year and filed with H&R Block (the free version) and forgot to report proceeds from selling my stock (put $1020 into an ESPP, cashed out at $1560, value of stocks at purchase was $1500). If my math is right-ish I owe something on the order of ~$125 between extra income tax and capital gains tax. How much of a hassle is filing an amended return if I e-filed?

Any help with this? My girlfriend's CPA mom says that with new rule changes this year the IRS should know what I made on the sale (instead of assuming the entire amount was a gain) and that I shouldn't really bother with an amended return and just wait for them to send me a notice about the amount I owe. Thoughts?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Any help with this? My girlfriend's CPA mom says that with new rule changes this year the IRS should know what I made on the sale (instead of assuming the entire amount was a gain) and that I shouldn't really bother with an amended return and just wait for them to send me a notice about the amount I owe. Thoughts?

You can prepare an amended return with your self-service software if you feel up to it. I definitely recommend filing the return now rather than waiting for the IRS to catch it a year from now; I doubt that even with the new rules and reporting that they will get it right and you will end up filing the amendment anyways to correct their proposal, and end up paying late payment penalties and interest.

BTW the difference between what you paid and what the value was should be added to your W-2, so the capital gain is only about $60.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Charitable contributions question: I went to Fancy Expensive University, and I do admissions interviews for them as a volunteer. Can I deduct the mileage I run up when I drive out to visit with the applicants? I asked the university directly, and they said 1) boilerplate "we dunno ask your tax person" but also 2) "[We] can provide you with a letter that may be used for tax purposes detailing the expenses you incurred on behalf of FEU."

Seems like I should be able to deduct this as mileage on behalf of charity, right?

MechanicalUnderwear
Feb 22, 2006
Then, the doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy!
My husband is a student and made less than $19,000 least year. While he is in school - I am the main income earner. Is it true that we do not have to count his income when we file our taxes if we file jointly as married?

I have used turbo tax to calculate our taxes both ways and we get a lot more back if his income isn't counted. His income just barely pushes us up into the next income bracket for taxes. I want to be sure this is really ok before we file our taxes this way.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Charitable contributions question: I went to Fancy Expensive University, and I do admissions interviews for them as a volunteer. Can I deduct the mileage I run up when I drive out to visit with the applicants? I asked the university directly, and they said 1) boilerplate "we dunno ask your tax person" but also 2) "[We] can provide you with a letter that may be used for tax purposes detailing the expenses you incurred on behalf of FEU."

Seems like I should be able to deduct this as mileage on behalf of charity, right?

As long as the university is a non profit (and most other than Phoenix and their ilk are), yes. If the university is willing to issue a letter describing the number of miles you drove, etc. that would be great - never seen a charity do something like that before.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

MechanicalUnderwear posted:

My husband is a student and made less than $19,000 least year. While he is in school - I am the main income earner. Is it true that we do not have to count his income when we file our taxes if we file jointly as married?

No :psyduck:

MechanicalUnderwear
Feb 22, 2006
Then, the doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy!
I followed this questionaire on IRS.gov.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Does it mean if our combined income is less than $19,000 and not individual income?

MechanicalUnderwear fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 31, 2012

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

MechanicalUnderwear posted:

I followed this questionaire on IRS.gov.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Does it mean if our combined income is less than $19,000 and not individual income?

Oh that makes at least a little sense then. Yes, for a married couple your joint income needs to be below $19,000 to avoid a filing requirement.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

I'm using H&R Block's online tax software and I'm trying to report my stock losses for the year, which as I understand it goes on Schedule D. Unfortunately I can't find that form listed anywhere. I'm using the basic free edition and I think I might need the Deluxe edition for that, but I can't figure out how to upgrade or ask a simple question without having to pay for it. Anyone know what's up?

You have to pay for it. That's how they get you. The free edition is literally a 1040EZ, which doesn't include a lot of the schedules I believe.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Dragyn posted:

You have to pay for it. That's how they get you. The free edition is literally a 1040EZ, which doesn't include a lot of the schedules I believe.

Does the free filing through irs.gov charge for it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My wife is a school teacher and is on the state retirement program and does not pay social security tax and this is the first year I am doing her taxes (just recently married).

I am very confused by how that works in practice. She tells me that every year she ends up owing a lot of taxes. I assume this is from her being taxed at the regular rate on the on the income that she's not paying into social security.

However, doesn't the regular rate include a portion for social security?

How do I signify on a tax return (in turbo tax) that she is exempt from the social security tax?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

AbbiTheDog posted:

Does the free filing through irs.gov charge for it?

Survey says yes: http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html?portlet=104

e: and by yes, I mean no. I'm tired, leave me alone :(

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 31, 2012

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Murgos posted:

My wife is a school teacher and is on the state retirement program and does not pay social security tax and this is the first year I am doing her taxes (just recently married).

I am very confused by how that works in practice. She tells me that every year she ends up owing a lot of taxes. I assume this is from her being taxed at the regular rate on the on the income that she's not paying into social security.

However, doesn't the regular rate include a portion for social security?

How do I signify on a tax return (in turbo tax) that she is exempt from the social security tax?

Social security is a payroll tax and has nothing to do with most income tax returns.

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004
Hello I'm back with another dumb question. In October I moved from New York to California and I'm now filling out tax returns for both states. Before I moved, I filled out California tax forms with my employer and started paying California taxes right away. I'm now filling in my information with H&R block and I'm on this section here:

It's asking for residential vs. federal income, which I assume means it wants to know how much money I made in New York before I moved - about 70% of my total income. Assuming I'm filling it out correctly, it then says I owe in the neighborhood of $1100-1200 after deductions. Can that be right? How does that happen exactly?

Edit- there's also a section where it asks if I "received nonresident income from New York source," I'm not sure if that applies since my tax forms show my income being earned separately in New York and California.

Edit 2- I should mention that I'm now working from home for the same New York-based company I was employed with previously.

BigAlienHoopajoo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 1, 2012

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Hey guys, I just went through my taxes with both TurboTax and TaxACT (didn't file, just put everything in). I made nearly $16,000 last year (yeah yeah, I'm a waiter), but I'm....only getting about $90 back. HOWEVER, I've noticed something.

I worked three different restaurants. When I have my first two in, my tax return is sitting around $700. But, when I put my last one in, my current job that I've had since August, it shoots down to around $90.

What....what would cause that?

I'm just a single, non-house owner, non-business owner, non-crazy anything tax wise 24 year old who also has $62 tax deductible from a student loan I'm paying off.

Help? :(

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
so uh it would be a good idea to file my small biz's 1099-miscs today huh :downs:

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

89 posted:

Hey guys, I just went through my taxes with both TurboTax and TaxACT (didn't file, just put everything in). I made nearly $16,000 last year (yeah yeah, I'm a waiter), but I'm....only getting about $90 back. HOWEVER, I've noticed something.

I worked three different restaurants. When I have my first two in, my tax return is sitting around $700. But, when I put my last one in, my current job that I've had since August, it shoots down to around $90.

What....what would cause that?

I'm just a single, non-house owner, non-business owner, non-crazy anything tax wise 24 year old who also has $62 tax deductible from a student loan I'm paying off.

Help? :(

Well apparently you didn't have as much withheld from that job so the resulting increase in tax is much higher than the increase in withholding from the w-2.

catman
Jul 23, 2006

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Hello I'm back with another dumb question. In October I moved from New York to California and I'm now filling out tax returns for both states. Before I moved, I filled out California tax forms with my employer and started paying California taxes right away. I'm now filling in my information with H&R block and I'm on this section here:

It's asking for residential vs. federal income, which I assume means it wants to know how much money I made in New York before I moved - about 70% of my total income. Assuming I'm filling it out correctly, it then says I owe in the neighborhood of $1100-1200 after deductions. Can that be right? How does that happen exactly?

Edit- there's also a section where it asks if I "received nonresident income from New York source," I'm not sure if that applies since my tax forms show my income being earned separately in New York and California.

Edit 2- I should mention that I'm now working from home for the same New York-based company I was employed with previously.

Your tax software wants you to allocate your income for the time you lived in NY and for the time you lived in CA. Interest is generally ratable, but other items, such as capitals gains or dividends, would be based on the date the income was earned.

I know for NY non-residents NY requires, by law, that box 16 (NY state wages) equals box 1 (federal wages). Is that the case? If it is, without getting into too much unnecessary detail on income allocation, you would allocate your income based on where it was earned. Either way I can't comment on your refund/liability situation.

Regarding any non-resident income, the software is most likely asking if any work was performed within New York after you had established residency in California.

New York has a very well-developed tax code. There are many intricacies to New York income taxation, especially as it pertains to non-residents. I am not nor can I provide specific advice for your situation.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I sold about $311 worth of stuff on amazon last year. What do I need to do? I'm in WA so no state income tax.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

I sold about $311 worth of stuff on amazon last year. What do I need to do? I'm in WA so no state income tax.

Nothing

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ok cool thanks.

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004

catman posted:

I know for NY non-residents NY requires, by law, that box 16 (NY state wages) equals box 1 (federal wages). Is that the case? If it is, without getting into too much unnecessary detail on income allocation, you would allocate your income based on where it was earned. Either way I can't comment on your refund/liability situation.

Box 16 is split into two lines with the money I made while living in New York and the money I made while living in California - they add up to the total in Box 1. Box 17 is the tax I paid in each state respectively. Not sure if that makes things any clearer......I think I'm still hosed...

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Box 16 is split into two lines with the money I made while living in New York and the money I made while living in California - they add up to the total in Box 1. Box 17 is the tax I paid in each state respectively. Not sure if that makes things any clearer......I think I'm still hosed...

If you tell the software that you were a part year resident for both states it should only tax you on the income you earned in each state. If it seems like it isn't working that way and you can't figure it out perhaps it is time to hire someone to do the return for you.

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

If you tell the software that you were a part year resident for both states it should only tax you on the income you earned in each state. If it seems like it isn't working that way and you can't figure it out perhaps it is time to hire someone to do the return for you.

Yeah it definitely seems like something is off. I don't see how I could possibly end up owing 1200 freaking dollars it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to give TurboTax a shot since I've used them in years past with no problems and right now this is literally the only thing preventing me from filing. If that doesn't work I will get someone.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like something is off. I don't see how I could possibly end up owing 1200 freaking dollars it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to give TurboTax a shot since I've used them in years past with no problems and right now this is literally the only thing preventing me from filing. If that doesn't work I will get someone.

One thing to consider is that while you will only pay tax to CA on your income earned in CA and to NY on the income earned in NY, you will pay tax to both states at the rate that would apply for your combined income. IE if you earned $25K in each state you will only pay tax on $25K to each state, but will pay it at the tax rate that would apply to $50K of income.

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

One thing to consider is that while you will only pay tax to CA on your income earned in CA and to NY on the income earned in NY, you will pay tax to both states at the rate that would apply for your combined income. IE if you earned $25K in each state you will only pay tax on $25K to each state, but will pay it at the tax rate that would apply to $50K of income.

Obviously I don't know a whole lot about taxes, but that's kind of what I assumed. What I don't understand though is I made just slightly more money this year than I did last year - last year I paid about 1750 in NY state income tax and this year I paid just under 1500 for only working there 9 months. I paid over 500 for CA. It doesn't seem possible for me to owe an additional 1200 (actually more like 1350 before deductions) given those numbers.

Edit - after messing around with it a little bit I'm getting the impression the stupid software thinks I didn't pay any NY state income tax. Blurgh.

Edit 2 - Yup that's definitely it. My initial return before I put in the part-year resident stuff was $157 and the amount it wanted to charge me was $1323. That adds up to 1470 which is hey guess what exactly what I paid in New York state taxes this year. Phew.

Edit 3 - Used TurboTax and had no problems and it was much easier and I got a much bigger return. This was the first year I tried to use H&R Block and it was nothing but headaches for whatever that's worth.

BigAlienHoopajoo fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 2, 2012

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
More exciting questions!

I left a job and decided to cash out my 401k and move it to a traditional IRA. I never deposited the check, but signed it over or whatever I did at the time, over to Vanguard.

I just got a 1099-R form from Paychex (the guardian of the 401k) for the disbursement. Is this the one-time taxes I'm paying on this chunk of money? Something else? I thought I remembered something about if I never actually cashed the check and it went right into another retirement account, I was in the clear?

dream owl
Jul 19, 2010
Edit: nevermind

dream owl fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 13, 2012

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Eris posted:

More exciting questions!

I left a job and decided to cash out my 401k and move it to a traditional IRA. I never deposited the check, but signed it over or whatever I did at the time, over to Vanguard.

I just got a 1099-R form from Paychex (the guardian of the 401k) for the disbursement. Is this the one-time taxes I'm paying on this chunk of money? Something else? I thought I remembered something about if I never actually cashed the check and it went right into another retirement account, I was in the clear?

It looks like the funds did go to an IRA, correct?

If so, then you list the 1099-R gross amount on the front of the 1040, but put zero for taxable. Our software will put "rollover" on the line if you check the correct box to tell the IRS you did an indirect rollover of your funds.

The IRS will get a copy of the 1099 as well as a copy of Form 5498, which will tell the IRS how much you put into the IRA. If it all lines up, you're OK.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5498.pdf

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

My company lets me take money out of my paychecks to buy shares of the company, and they match an equal amount of my deduction. (It's like an ESPP with a 50% discount, I suppose.)

One, TurboTax won't let me put in more than 50% as a discount, so I don't actually file this like an ESPP, I just file it as if I were selling shares that I bought. (My employer does include their match on my W2 as part of my compensation, so I am receiving the shares as "income.") Is that ok, or am I breaking a rule somewhere?

Two, the shares just go into an account (held in Canada, which complicates matters because their forms don't match what the IRS would send) that I can sell the shares out of whenever. How do I tell whether each sale is long-term or short-term? Is it FIFO? If so, I can figure it out based on my transaction history.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

CellBlock posted:

My company lets me take money out of my paychecks to buy shares of the company, and they match an equal amount of my deduction. (It's like an ESPP with a 50% discount, I suppose.)

One, TurboTax won't let me put in more than 50% as a discount, so I don't actually file this like an ESPP, I just file it as if I were selling shares that I bought. (My employer does include their match on my W2 as part of my compensation, so I am receiving the shares as "income.") Is that ok, or am I breaking a rule somewhere?

Two, the shares just go into an account (held in Canada, which complicates matters because their forms don't match what the IRS would send) that I can sell the shares out of whenever. How do I tell whether each sale is long-term or short-term? Is it FIFO? If so, I can figure it out based on my transaction history.

Don't know about turbotax (don't use it), but watch out for foreign bank accounts. There's now two filing requirements - one for accounts $10k and up, the other for accounts $50k and up (at any time during the year).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

AbbiTheDog posted:

Don't know about turbotax (don't use it), but watch out for foreign bank accounts. There's now two filing requirements - one for accounts $10k and up, the other for accounts $50k and up (at any time during the year).

It's not a bank account - I work for a Canadian company, so when they give us stock, it's held by SunLife Canada. (The balance hasn't ever been above 10k, anyway.)

When you say "don't use it" are you saying that you don't use it, or that I shouldn't use it?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

CellBlock posted:

It's not a bank account - I work for a Canadian company, so when they give us stock, it's held by SunLife Canada. (The balance hasn't ever been above 10k, anyway.)

When you say "don't use it" are you saying that you don't use it, or that I shouldn't use it?

I don't use it, sorry. The one time a client had me try to help them with the online turbo tax I got frustrated as all get out and quit.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

AbbiTheDog posted:

I don't use it, sorry. The one time a client had me try to help them with the online turbo tax I got frustrated as all get out and quit.

That's fine. I figured you probably didn't, I was just worried that maybe there was a reason I shouldn't.

I've found personally that it doesn't really make any of the hard stuff easier, it's just better organized and already has a copy of all the forms I might need. (I used to telefile, actually, when that was a thing and I was poor enough that I could use the 1040EZ. When telefile went away, I was still poor enough to e-file for free, so I started using Turbo Tax, and I keep going back because they've got copies of my returns going back to like 2005.)

Anyway, software aside, if I've got a bucket of shares of stock purchased at various times going back to mid-2009, can I just put all my purchases and sales in order and use first-in-first-out to determine the holding period for sales I made in 2011? The statement I get from SunLife just lists a sale date and a cost basis.

Thanks for the heads up about the foreign holdings, too. If my company's stock appreciates respectably and I don't have to raid the account for cash, the balance might creep up toward 10k soon.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

CellBlock posted:

That's fine. I figured you probably didn't, I was just worried that maybe there was a reason I shouldn't.

I've found personally that it doesn't really make any of the hard stuff easier, it's just better organized and already has a copy of all the forms I might need. (I used to telefile, actually, when that was a thing and I was poor enough that I could use the 1040EZ. When telefile went away, I was still poor enough to e-file for free, so I started using Turbo Tax, and I keep going back because they've got copies of my returns going back to like 2005.)

Anyway, software aside, if I've got a bucket of shares of stock purchased at various times going back to mid-2009, can I just put all my purchases and sales in order and use first-in-first-out to determine the holding period for sales I made in 2011? The statement I get from SunLife just lists a sale date and a cost basis.

Thanks for the heads up about the foreign holdings, too. If my company's stock appreciates respectably and I don't have to raid the account for cash, the balance might creep up toward 10k soon.

You are required to use FIFO when determining basis for your stock sales unless you specify a specific lot of shares to sell AT THE TIME YOU PLACE THE SELL ORDER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I had a roommate for all of 2011 that was paid under the table, and won't be filing a return this year. Can I claim them as a dependant/HOH? Since there's no record I didn't pay 100% of our rent/living expenses?