Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jut posted:

You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show. The £1000 shed challenges were great as they were something the average viewed could one day afford, and it's nice to see them gently caress around with fiat 500's and smaller sports cars such as the S2000 every now and again.

Would be better than SIARPC anyway
I think lot of people (well, around here at least) like that stuff too. Doesn't even need to be the cheap old shitbox challenges, just regular current cars. I think they did one last season with some small cars.

Or if they need to jazz it up they can do something ridiculous like the Fiesta or uh, Twingo I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'd really like to see a cheap car challenge episode sometime where they are all forced to buy $1000 VW Beetles and do something with them. I think it was maybe the Africa special where they were talking about how its one of the few cars all three of them absolutely hate. The guys are great when they have things they either really love or really really hate, and I can imagine the ranting about the Beetle being hugely entertaining.

Clarkson trying to pull the balancing act of despising his car while simultaneously wanting desperately to win every challenge would be fantastic in particular I think. And I expect each of them actually have different reasons for hating the Beetle individually, so it would be interesting to see the different perspectives.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sedgr posted:

I'd really like to see a cheap car challenge episode sometime where they are all forced to buy $1000 VW Beetles and do something with them.

I assume it'd be a lot like any of the caravan episodes.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

fivre posted:

I assume it'd be a lot like any of the caravan episodes.

Yes. Lots of fire.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Agreed. And the SIARPC is fine when they actually have someone who's into cars. I'm amazed how often they don't, considering it's a CAR SHOW

I dunno, SIARPC is usually that bad, and there's plenty of non-car people who've been really entertaining guests.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jut posted:

You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show. The £1000 shed challenges were great as they were something the average viewed could one day afford, and it's nice to see them gently caress around with fiat 500's and smaller sports cars such as the S2000 every now and again.

Would be better than SIARPC anyway

They could replace it with a segment where James and Hammond spend ten minutes talking about all the great deals you can get on new and used affordable cars by exploiting current incentives and — oh wait

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Sedgr posted:

I'd really like to see a cheap car challenge episode sometime where they are all forced to buy $1000 VW Beetles and do something with them. I think it was maybe the Africa special where they were talking about how its one of the few cars all three of them absolutely hate. The guys are great when they have things they either really love or really really hate, and I can imagine the ranting about the Beetle being hugely entertaining.

That idea has some good potential; but increase the budget a bit and tell them to use whatever leftover money they have to prep their vehicle for a race. Keeping the details of the race vague until after they've modified them, since one (or all) of them will modify it to be specialized for a different type of race than they've been entered in.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hammond being the competitive one would have to buy some sort of salvage title new beetle and win every challenge, while being mocked mercilessly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The challenge would be for everyone to get Beetles, and Hammond would show up in a 911 and Clarkson would end up with a Veyron somehow.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

The challenge would be for everyone to get Beetles, and Hammond would show up in a 911

I can see Clarkson looking pissed off for a second, then shrugging his shoulders and admitting "yep it's a Beetle, carry on."

He's the kind of person that would lose a challenge to uphold his mockery for 911s.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Matt LeBlanc also has something to plug on the show - series 2 of the show Episodes, which is set to air on BBC2 (and Showtime) this summer.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

An interesting point I noticed was the news that the cars from the India special are no longer in India - they're in Hampshire, which I can only assume means Beaulieu and that gives me another excuse to go again. :D

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I really hope that the stuff sent to the newspapers was actually a proper segment and we see how fast a fat old man is around the track on a bicycle.

That is if he didn't give up half way through.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Cojawfee posted:

The challenge would be for everyone to get Beetles, and Hammond would show up in a 911 and Clarkson would end up with a Veyron somehow.

Don't forget James in his Kubelwagon/Schwimmwagen.

Absentlife
Apr 5, 2007
Craig Ferguson interviewed LeBlanc a few times on his show. He's pretty much the opposite of Joey in real life. I think he'll be a decent interview, and obviously a huge upgrade from last week

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I think they should dump the SIARPC and go back to Jeremy Putting V8s On Things.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Jeremy putting v8's on things was one of my favorite bits, even if all the comments were scripted.

I really liked this episode, it was just one big long car journey. I like that it was segment, news, segment part 2, siarpc, segment part 3. Admittedly the star was a total waste of time, but I've enjoyed many of them over the years. I found that in this episode I really believed the emotions of the hosts, especially during the speed run at Nardo and the track work at Imola. I've already re-watched it twice....

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Absentlife posted:

Craig Ferguson interviewed LeBlanc a few times on his show. He's pretty much the opposite of Joey in real life. I think he'll be a decent interview, and obviously a huge upgrade from last week
Heck, they should interview Craig Ferguson.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Deceptor101 posted:

Jeremy putting v8's on things was one of my favorite bits, even if all the comments were scripted.

The V8-powered blender will go down in history as one of mankind's greatest achievements.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quazi posted:

Heck, they should interview Craig Ferguson.
Craig Ferguson would be a phenomenal SIARPC.

This needs to happen.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Craig Ferguson would be a phenomenal SIARPC.

This needs to happen.

James, Richard, or Jeremy on Craig Ferguson would be even better.

Have any of the TG US guys been on The Late Late Show?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

neckbeard posted:

James, Richard, or Jeremy on Craig Ferguson would be even better.

No, thank God.

I've watched a couple episodes of TGUSA on iplayer and while it wasn't as awful as I was expecting it really just feels like a low budget mediocre tribute to Real Top Fear Gear.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

quote:

Craig Ferguson
Apparently, according to the wiki article, his show is aired on the BBC. It is not outside the realm of possibility.

neckbeard posted:

A quick search suggests no.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

jojoinnit posted:

No, thank God.

I've watched a couple episodes of TGUSA on iplayer and while it wasn't as awful as I was expecting it really just feels like a low budget mediocre tribute to Real Top Fear Gear.

Give the Alaska Special a try if you haven't already. I also think season 2 was a great improvement from season 1.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Looking forward to Hammond and Clarkson jab at each other over NASCAR.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Killbot posted:

Looking forward to Hammond and Clarkson jab at each other over NASCAR.

Everybody knows that Hammond is a closet redneck.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Everybody knows that Hammond is a closet redneck.

And Clarkson isn't? Guns, 4x4s, and shiny things excite him verily.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want to see May driving around the track in a sleeping bag.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

angryhampster posted:

And Clarkson isn't? Guns, 4x4s, and shiny things excite him verily.

But would Clarkson buy an American muscle car?

e: I don't consider the Ford GT a muscle car.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 4, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hammond definitely loves muscle cars, his GT390 is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

mod sassinator posted:

Hammond definitely loves muscle cars, his GT390 is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os

Not to mention his love for that Dodge truck he drove in the first America trip.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Everybody knows that Hammond is a secret American.

And also a secret Australian, though it's never been said on the show and it may be my American-ness throwing me off.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not a CAR SHOW, it's an entertainment show, and thus it gets entertainment guests :jerkbag:

Top Gear really isn't about cars, well of course it is sort of, but the main theme of the show is actually exploring class differences, which is a big part of why it never took in in America.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Williams talking about the reaction to the first episode and petrol head/casual viewers of the show

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2012/02/04/video-more-from-jeremy-and-andy-wilman-on-series-18/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmmm, anyone else think LeBlanc looks a little... Hammondy?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
No complaints this time around about the episode, it was enjoyable to watch and very entertaining. Glad to see SIARPC wasn't terrible this week.

I am surprised they haven't made a Chinese version of the 458.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Wait, it's over?

I thought it started now :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Wait, it's over?

I thought it started now :(
Watch Bomber Boys on BBC1 instead, then.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Watch Bomber Boys on BBC1 instead, then.

OK.

It also appears that my BBC2 stream is down so nothing gained, nothing lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

InitialDave posted:

Hmmm, anyone else think LeBlanc looks a little... Hammondy?

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Pretty good episode, the end was unexpected and funny :)